Official BBQ Thread

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  12>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Metal Gear RAY View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Metal Gear RAY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official BBQ Thread
    Posted: Jul/23/2007 at 12:26pm
So Im just wondering cause I've been craving BBQ for the last couple of months. (Maybe cause its summer or somthing?)

I'm good with the propane because theres no clean up. But it doesn't taste as good as charcoal or as savory as smoked. (DUDE I LOVED SMOKED MEATS!) Too bad im not as good with smoking meats as I am with regular BBQ meats. Smoking meat is sort of a precise art that i havn't gotten the hang of yet. Luckily i havn't ruined anything huge.. and it was still edible at the end. Anyone got any tips/secrets for me?

This thread has multiple votes so you can pick if you like sauces or without or combination of choices... I usually like my meats without the sauce cause it over powers the BBQ flavor.

And finally I'd like to know what your favorite recipes are... What do you do to make your cookouts the best on the block? I think i make steaks the best. Season with stalt and pepper... turn up the fire as hot as it can get and put on the steaks so it gets nice and dark on the outside but still juicy and red on the inside... They say you are supposed only flip the steak once but i flip it 3 times to get the nice cross grill marks...
Bethm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Bethm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2007 at 12:50pm
well here is a little secret...
Propane grill and a 12x12 marble slab.
cooks the meat sooo nice and it makes it really tender.
J Mac View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote J Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2007 at 1:05pm
I use a propane grill.
brodster View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
What is there to say-

Quote brodster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2007 at 1:09pm
My daddy only cooked with charcoal.
zagfan5 View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
whatever

Quote zagfan5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2007 at 1:11pm
charcoal for me

Camber Is The New Rocker.
Tyler View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
What aboot it!!!

Quote Tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2007 at 1:29pm
Natural charcoal all the way but most of the time I use normal old charcoal.
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2007 at 2:58pm
propane or kerosene Sleepy
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Metal Gear RAY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2007 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by BethM

well here is a little secret...
Propane grill and a 12x12 marble slab.

cooks the meat sooo nice and it makes it really tender.

Cool.. I never heard of that. Where would i get a slab of marble to cook on?

Originally posted by Nu-Nu

LOL. I see you like the flavor of fuel.
Mightyd View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Mightyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2007 at 4:50pm
Definitely charcoal (apologies to Hank Hill).  I'm also a big fan of rubs.  I'm not savvy enough to make my own, though.  Here's something everyone should try out: Pappy's Seasoning on tri-tip roast.  Rub it in good, get the coals good and hot, and do 5-7 minutes per side over direct heat, then 8-10 minutes per side over direct heat.  Wrap it up good in tin foil and towels, put it in an Igloo for 30-40 minutes, and then cut it into thin slices.  I usually do 3-4 at a time and just use the left-over meat for sandwiches. 
happytheman View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
East Coast Rider

Quote happytheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2007 at 5:01pm
Propane!  You're ready to cook in NO time flat!

Happy
"What" ain't no country I've ever heard of. They speak English in What?
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2007 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by Metal Gear RAY

Originally posted by Nu-Nu

LOL. I see you like the flavor of fuel.

i just like it cause it's cheap!! i save the charcoal for the big parties LOL
espnsportsfan View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote espnsportsfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2007 at 6:31pm
propane
Boards: Sierra Crew 155, Burton Dominant 155 Bindings: Flow NXT-AT, Union Datas Boots: 32 Prion
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Metal Gear RAY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2007 at 9:47pm
A bit long but very educational for smoking ribs.

BethH View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote BethH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2007 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Metal Gear RAY

So Im just wondering cause I've been craving BBQ for the last couple of months. (Maybe cause its summer or somthing?)

I'm good with the propane because theres no clean up. But it doesn't taste as good as charcoal or as savory as smoked. (DUDE I LOVED SMOKED MEATS!) Too bad im not as good with smoking meats as I am with regular BBQ meats. Smoking meat is sort of a precise art that i havn't gotten the hang of yet. Luckily i havn't ruined anything huge.. and it was still edible at the end. Anyone got any tips/secrets for me?

This thread has multiple votes so you can pick if you like sauces or without or combination of choices... I usually like my meats without the sauce cause it over powers the BBQ flavor.

And finally I'd like to know what your favorite recipes are... What do you do to make your cookouts the best on the block? I think i make steaks the best. Season with stalt and pepper... turn up the fire as hot as it can get and put on the steaks so it gets nice and dark on the outside but still juicy and red on the inside... They say you are supposed only flip the steak once but i flip it 3 times to get the nice cross grill marks...

FOr the propane bbqs you can get wood chips that you soak and then place in the bbq....the wood chips come in different falvers. Sometimes if you really want to try something new...soak the chips in some orange juise to give the meat a citruis flavor.
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Metal Gear RAY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2007 at 8:09pm
I've tried the wood chips in the propane... maybe I'm doing it wrong but it keeps getting burned away too quickly... I just end up making barbecue rather than smoking.

I havn't tried soaking it in juices though it sounds interesting. I bought this bag of woodchips that were made from the old barrels that they make Jack Daniels in, but I didnt really notice a difference. But the fumes from the bag were getting me drunk though...
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 11:53am
well spring is in full swing and i've been shopping around for a new BBQ and figured this might be a cool thread.. and what do u know.. it already existed for a short period of time long ago.  REVIVAL! 

I'm about to pick up a Weber charcoal grill and get nasty on some steaks!  Anyone have any favorite recipes..secrets.. tricks.. etc?  Propane vs charcoal?  Smokers?  Share your pics and whatever else in here!
MOAR powderz plz!
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 12:02pm
I stole this picture from the internet but we just had us some bbq Asian style! You go to the asian market and ask them to cut your beef/ribs sideway (pictured) and you throw in some vinegar, grind up lemon grass, a bit of garlic and ginger, and bbq sauce of your choosing. let it marinate overnight and it'll taste sweet, sour, and bbq-ish! haha, hola if you know what I'm talking about.

LaNieve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote LaNieve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 2:39pm
^ OHMYGOD  these are amazing, in Korea theyre called LA bbq ribs for some reason lol
But theyre soooo good!
Spenser W. View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Spenser W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 2:44pm
we only use charcoal at my house!!

if you guys have never had Kinder's bbq sauce, i HIGHLY recommend it.  Get the hot one and use it on your chicken...super bomb.

My roommates and I grill all the time...tri tip, chicken, sausages, hot dogs, you name it. 

My roommate knows how to smoke stuff, Ive never dont it though.  Turns out really good though.  Essentially, you get the fancy wood chips or whatever and then soak them in water.  then you put that on top of the charcoal once it's all heated up but underneath the grate.  Then throw your food on there.  He always uses the smoke when he cooks salmon...he puts the salmon on foil before putting it on the grill so it doesn't fall apart.  Not sure exactly what he uses to season it, i think just some salt, thyme, maybe lemon, and maybe some rosemary.  Super tasty though. 
2011 159 YES Typo II
2010 Triads
2011 Impreza
rye View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 2:44pm
because LA has a big korean community maybe? ldk but it looks pretty ordinary asian ribs to me 
https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/JennyLi
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 3:15pm
Gotta use original bulls eye bbq sauce. Others are good but Bulls Eye is the best.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 5:15pm
Charcoal, definitely charcoal.

Regarding smokers I've been considering picking up one of these:

mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 5:23pm
I'm in the market for a new grill also...going with gas! Can't decide how big I want to go.

I love doing packet veggies. Chop up some yellow squash, zucchini, red onion...olive oil, sea salt, whatever other seasonings you want to use...fresh rosemary...wrap it all up in a foil packet and set it off to the side (indirect heat), especially if you use maybe italian dressing as a marinade, so it doesn't scorch.

I'm thinking about trying grilled fruit sometime. I know pineapple is supposed to grill easily, but can't think of whatever else. I think either Jamie Oliver or Tyler Florence did it on their cooking show before.
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 6:04pm
We have the hybrid charcoal/gas grill and we mostly use gas to start the charcoal. Makes burning charcoal super fast! Don't have a preference on charcoal though...probably anything cheap or on sale.
That's a good point mommehK pointed out. We use the gas to cook pots and aluminum foil wrapped foods.

On camping trips we use charcoal and firewood. That smoked woody flavor is a plus.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2013 at 3:22am
Don't use self-starting charcoal, it's charcoal that has been impregnated with lighter fluid for easier lighting.  Problem is it affects the taste of the food.

Some cheap charcoals are made up of compressed sawdust, which will work but they do not burn as long or as hot as real lump charcoal.

Lump charcoal made from real hardwood is the way to go.  Sure, it costs more but you get what you pay for.  Some that I have tried:  Whole Foods Hardwood Charcoal, Real Montana Charcoal (hard to find but worth it), and Kebroak.
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2013 at 4:35am
^^ You've just open my mind up to another level of grilling.
When we picnic or camp we've really never payed attention to charcoal quality and always stuck with the easiest type of self starting charcoal and on top of that I dump lighter fluid on them (Gotta admin, I'm a pyromaniac). So what I usually buy is stuff on sale from Costco, Walmart or anything that's cheap at my local grocery stores. It's hit and miss. sometimes I get lucky with a bag of quality charcoal but I can't tell the differ in taste. It'll just last longer. LOL
CO_champagne View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2013 at 5:51am
I have a Big Green Egg.  Look it up: http://www.biggreenegg.com/

It's an all natural ceramic BBQ smoker.  It makes absolutely amazing barbecue!!!  I dream of it all week and cannot wait for a weekend in the sun and my egg.  Just be warned, the egg is quite expensive but will last forever.
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2013 at 5:53am
Went and picked up my new Weber gold kettle grill last night and set her up.  Going to make a test run tonight to see what temp I can get up to and then come back down and maintain for awhile... should be entertaining.  I was trying to decide what to make first as I was perusing the interwebs... needless to say my mouth was watering looking at all the options.  Prob just roll with some burgers or a steak for the first go round then move on up to some ribs which are my favorite.

edit: I was super tempted by the Big Green Egg they sound amazing... they have an eggfest here so i'll prob go check that out this summer and then be even more tempted to get one...
MOAR powderz plz!
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2013 at 8:58am
Been using a Master Chef grill for the last 5-6 years that takes propane. Not a big brand name but I could careless as long as it works. Maybe one day when I've got a big more coin in the bank, I'll look for a Broil King.
rosati777 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Calvin and Hobbes Extreme Sports

Quote rosati777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2013 at 2:54pm
instead of actually burning the chips, you can put the chips in a tin pan and put a little bit of water in the pan in the grill with the coal or however you have to get it in the grille. That way it doesn't directly touch the flame and can last longer. It helps to leave the lid closed for as long as possible, like if you are cooking a big piece of meat or fish so that as much flavor as possible can soak in.
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2013 at 6:44am
Been dominating the BBQ lately.. cooked up a bunch of marinated pork chops, potatoes, and asparagus last Saturday night.. Sunday was beer can chicken and a stuffed/wrapped flank steak with spinach, mozz, dried dates, and kalamata olives... and finally last night was perfectly cooked med-rare NY steaks... Next grill day will be Saturday after 18 holes of golf at one of the nicest courses in town.. gotta love late birthday/early fathers day celebrations!  Note to self.. go pick up more charcoal!
MOAR powderz plz!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2013 at 8:16am
^ Happy belated birthday and early Father's Day, MT.

May I suggest a fine hardwood lump charcoal, this web site has a good amount of info:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2013 at 9:12am
As a personal Grill-Massa, I suggest the teachings of Steven Raichlen of BBQU fame.  His newer endevor is Primal Grill. 

I made his slow cooked, coffee encrusted pork tenderloin recently with an in your face acidic sauce... they went so well together.  just awesome! 

I'll have to check out Sideways' charcoal finder... the walmart stuff isn't that good.
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2013 at 10:43am
I loved my old BBQ Galore Cook On Complete Kitchen.  It was a propane grill I converted to natural gas so I never worried about running out of fuel, letting me grill big turkeys on it!  
The best part is that it had cast iron burners and instead of those "flavor wave" bars, it had a cast iron rack with ceramic briquettes giving everything I cooked a more charcoal like flavor.  To bad my new house does not have a gas stub out.

Picked up the huntington from this review:
last week.  Last one they had and it was $360.  Apparently it's the same as the broil king signet 40 which is closer to $500.  It looks to be the same quality as the $500 weber that was my second choice in case they didn't have this one, which is not on their site anymore.  

Still getting used to it...propane burns hotter then natural gas so my first batch of burgers and dogs got burnt.  This thing gets real hot real quick!  2nd batch of burgers turned out awesome!  Should be working up to some ribs and steaks this weekend.  

Oh yeah...rubs all the way.  save the sauce for the table, but I do love me some bullseye!
'10 Sierra Stunt - '11 Rossignol One Mag - '11 Rome Targa - '12 Forum Shaka - '11 K2 Maysis - '12 Ride Hi-Phy
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2013 at 10:49am
My co-worker has a Hasty-Bak, which I had never heard of before.

http://shop.hastybake.com/collections/charcoal-grills/products/hasty-bake-legacy-131-powder-coated-charcoal-grill

That's quite an expensive grill.

I took sideways99's advice, stopped using cheap charcoal and started buying real hardwood lump charcoal.  Now maybe it's all in my mind but I think my grilled food actually tastes better using the quality charcoal.
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2013 at 12:26pm
which hardwood lump charcoal's do you fellas use?
MOAR powderz plz!
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2013 at 12:51pm
Based on what sideways recommended I tried Trader Joe's 100% All Natural hardwood Briquettes.  My buddy uses Cowboy 100% Natural Hardwood Lump. 
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2013 at 12:57pm
i use mesquite chips in a tin pan on my gas grill..not as much flavor as the wood briquettes..but much easier to clean...Wink
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2013 at 2:22pm
As mentioned earlier, i've been using the WalMart stuff. (royal oak maybe? the name is fuzzy)  I have been having a hard time getting it to stay lit and burn hot enough.  maybe i'm not using enough?
But, I generally use a combo of coal (to sear/smoke/make tastey) then I take it up to my Quantum to finish cooking.  I put more wood chips in the grates, and that does some legit smoke work as well.

/ also a big fan of dry rubs.  no surgar scortching for me man!

(umm.. that url is ridiculous, sorry folks)
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
magichc View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote magichc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2013 at 3:01pm
I use propane but that's because I don't want to spend the time on the charcoal even though that's the better way to go
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2013 at 9:14am
We use propane too because it's so easy to do and not much of a wait plus we get free propane.  LOL
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2013 at 10:22am
that extra 20 minutes you spend getting the charcoal up and rolling is definitely worth the infinitely better taste you get vs propane...
MOAR powderz plz!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2013 at 10:30am
^ +1

Plus it gives you time to grab a couple of cold beers.  Can't grill without beer.
Alkasquawlik View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Alkasquawlik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2013 at 10:33am
Charcoal definitely tastes better, but when I come home after working all day and spending an hour or so at the gym, all I want to do is crush some food. The last thing I want to do is wait an extra half hour or so waiting for the charcoals to heat up. Flip that propane on, wait a little bit while it heats up, and throw the meat on the grill. Done.

If I have more time on weekends or whatever, I'll definitely take the extra time to get a charcoal grill blazing.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2013 at 10:35am
Dammit, I was just about to say the same thing. 

Besides getting some beer you can use the time to chop up some vegetables to throw into a grill pan (yellow, red and orange peppers with large slices of Spanish onion, olive oil and seasonings of your choice).
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2013 at 10:52am
If you are comparing taste, charcoal is better.  I don't think anyone will disagree with that.
But I don't grill only for special occasions.  I grill as an alternative to using the microwave.  So convenience wise, charcoal just doesn't make sense.  

If I'm making lunch for my kids and I'm going to cook 6 hotdogs, I'd much rather fire up the grill real quick then nuke em.  I use my grill on average 3 times a week, sometimes more.  
'10 Sierra Stunt - '11 Rossignol One Mag - '11 Rome Targa - '12 Forum Shaka - '11 K2 Maysis - '12 Ride Hi-Phy
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2013 at 11:00am
We only really grill on whenever we host dinner parties and what not otherwise we just use the superwave oven or Foreman grill.  

But how often do you guys clean your grill?  
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2013 at 12:57pm

I rarely to never have to clean mine.  We don't eat a lot of fatty burgers and the like, and the Quantum grill pretty much burns all the yucky stuff away.  But, I'll shake out the little trays every once in a while (5-7 uses maybe?).

I probably should clean mine more often though!  I also don't have a cover or anything like that.
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2013 at 1:13pm

I clean my grill both before and after every grilling...

MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2013 at 1:16pm
I'll scrub the grids down before and after each use, but I don't do a full grate/grill/burner cleaning but once a year in the spring.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>