Official BBQ Thread

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <12

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official BBQ Thread
    Posted: Jun/06/2013 at 1:19pm
^ Oh yeah..I scrub before and after each use...I only do the "detail" cleaning at the end of my bbq season when the weather starts to turn wet and cold.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2013 at 9:16am
Yeah, we like never clean our grill either but if we're lucky my little brother would dump the drop tray.  LOL
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2013 at 8:40am
Already had to clean the new grill cause of flare up.  That cheep 85% lean ground beef my wife has been getting is terrible.
'10 Sierra Stunt - '11 Rossignol One Mag - '11 Rome Targa - '12 Forum Shaka - '11 K2 Maysis - '12 Ride Hi-Phy
Board Member
Board Member
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2013 at 9:58am
Meaty, what beef has she been getting?  

I haven't really been grilling any beef patties because everyone wants either turkey or salmon patties instead.  LOL
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2013 at 10:22am
She gets the beef from the Deli, usually at Albertson's but they have different grades.  The 85% lean she gets is the cheapest because it has the most fat.  Now, I like some fat, but 15% fat is to much, so the drippings just get caked on the bottom of my grill under the burners, which flare up.  Even 89% is better, but I prefer 92%.  

But she picked up some good steaks that I'm going to grill either tonight or tomorrow.

'10 Sierra Stunt - '11 Rossignol One Mag - '11 Rome Targa - '12 Forum Shaka - '11 K2 Maysis - '12 Ride Hi-Phy
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2013 at 5:46pm
Cleaning the grill before I use it is the biggest reason why I don't like to BBQ. I'm just too lazy to do the scrubbing
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2013 at 8:02am
I tried making hamburgers with about 1/3 ground lamb meat to 2/3 ground beef, and just a little veal; based on a recipe I found online for a Greek hamburger. Absolutely delicious. I used just a tad of Feta on top with red onions, tomatoes, pickles, and lettuce. It was the best burger I've had in a long time, but I love Greek food/flavors.
*Rurchan- try putting your grill over the coals for a bit, as they heat up. It should loosen anything on the grill, then scraping it becomes much easier and all the gunk falls off and is burned in the coals. Anything that can be harmful, that is left on the grill, gets killed in the heat.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2013 at 9:14am
Getting stoked... for the second year in a row, i'm doing some Mint Julip ribs for the 4th.  I could get used to this tradition. :)

Question for the crowd: Last year i used hickory chips on the grill and liquid smoke in the sauce... should i change it up and go to something like cherry or apple?  or whould that make too many flavors?  (the base of the Mint Julip ribs is mint jelly and bourbon)
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2013 at 12:09pm
Grilling some swordfish tonight, going to stop at a roadside stand on my way home to see if I can pick up some vegetables to go along with the swordfish.
Grinch View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2013 at 12:45pm
I use the good ole propane grill. I might be installing a big natural gas grill. I'm to lazy to fool with charcoal. I only use charcoal when I go out ice fishing.
Board Member
Board Member
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2013 at 1:33pm
Sideways, did you catch that swordfish or bought it from the market or from someone you know?  I still never tried swordfish before.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2013 at 7:14am
^  I picked it up at a local fish market. Swordfish is meaty and usually cut into steaks. Marinate for a few hours in freshly squeezed lemon juice, lemon zest, white wine, soy sauce, garlic and ginger and then throw it on the grill.
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2013 at 9:21am
I'm not a big propane fan. Regardless of what grill it is, I can always taste the gas. I prefer that smokey chared taste a charcoal grill gives.
red_baron View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote red_baron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2013 at 9:29am
Julius that Greek burger sounds phenomenal!!

I am a huge fan of TriTip. They were on sale last week at Safeway so I picked up quite a few and grilled 2 up. 
Chop View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Okemo Mountain, VT.

Quote Chop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2013 at 4:51pm
I used to feel the same way as most have mentioned about propane. Way too much gas flavor. Then I went to a barbeque at a friend's house and he had a CharBroil Infrared grill. It has a rounded bottom pan that you can put charcoal/wood chips into, and it cooks the food using convection heat instead of direct gas flame. After eating some steaks and chicken cooked on that thing and I was sold! I went out and picked one up and threw some mesquite chips in there with a cup of water and it has a beautifully smoked flavor, with no char on the meat. Best of both worlds. Check em out, you won't be sorry.
37! In a row?
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2013 at 7:47pm
^I would have to see it to believe it. Infrared...says it heats things inside out.. but i don't feel the heat on that.

Had BBQ this past weekend, and it was great! small little propane grill but it was still good, dunno what you mean by gas flavour tho. just hate having to clean down the grill and scrappin it done..
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2013 at 10:25am
^^ Infrared is the bomb!  the heat waves penetrate deep, so it sears the ouside well, and cooks the product using less "air heat,"  so it doesn't dry the food out as bad. 

some grills (especially cheap ones) don't burn the gas completely, so the petrolium distallates end up on the food, giving it a unplesant flavor.  you can help reduce it by making sure your grill has plenty of air getting to the burners, making sure the burners are clean (the outlets and the injection ports both), and by using high quality gas.
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
Board Member
Board Member
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2013 at 12:51pm
We have the Charbroil infrared grill too and it cooks pretty well.  I was skeptical at first but now I'm a believer.  LOL
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2013 at 8:40pm
great. now I want to try one of those infrared grills. sounds expensive tho.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
Board Member
Board Member
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2013 at 12:10pm
Actually the infrared grills are pretty cheap, our old propane grill was over 1k but the infrared one we picked up was under 500 bucks.  
Chop View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Okemo Mountain, VT.

Quote Chop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2013 at 6:25pm
Yeah, they're really not that bad. There are quite a few models ranging from a couple hundred, to several. Not any different from other brands. Check out your local Home Depot or Lowes. I know those two places carry them.
37! In a row?
Board Member
Board Member
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2013 at 11:14am
I think the cheapest model they had at Lowes and Home Depot was like 150 bucks.  We picked up ours at Home Depot.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2013 at 2:35pm
Ours is also a Charbroil Quantum.  We have the three burners with the side sauce pan burner as well.

another nice thing, it doesn't use that much gas.  I grill at least once a week all summer long (and most weeks in the winter too!) and I only use a tank up in 6 or so months.

We got ours on sale at Lowes fo $350, and it came with a nice new tank of Blue Rhino ($50 worth there too!)

For me, I use that thing all the time, and I got it in June of 2009... so it's now cost only $100 a year or so to grill like a mad mo fo.
Board Member
Board Member
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2013 at 2:46pm
Oh really, I didn't know about it using less gas but that's good to know.  Ours has the sauce burner too with a skillet cast iron plate.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2013 at 3:00pm
Infrared? Wtf? I've never heard of this but I just sold my gas bbq and I'm leaning towards a charcoal. Never noticed the difference til I had some beef skewers and ribs on my buddy's grill. I was sold.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2013 at 7:16pm
is it weird getting a little wet talking about bbq grills I've yet to try the infrared nor do i know anyone who has it, Lucky for me I haven't had any issue with food tasting like gas..
as for the charcoal grills.. they take a good 15mins to set up. before you can actually start cooking on it. Although I do see a lot of people just start cooking their food over the liquid starter flames. Ive read its best to start cooking ones the coals turn white, so that youre not cooking your food off the chemicals from the liquid starter or the black on the coal.

I'm hoping to do at least one more BBQ before its too late.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2013 at 9:38am
Originally posted by jhoang6

is it weird getting a little wet talking about bbq grills

Getting a little wet talking about bbq grills?  Yes, that is weird.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2013 at 12:11pm
Gas is def more convenient that it only takes a couple minutes before you're able to start throwing food on the grill. But I can't get over how big a difference the taste is on a charcoal. But I'd also imagine that you'd prolly spend more on charcoal over the span of one propane.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2013 at 10:57am
Well, went through my first propane tank in 1 month...I do miss my natural gas connection!
But the new grill is AWESOME!  using that fatty ground beef did a good job of greasing up the irons so stuff doesn't stick.  And it gets so hot, I'm able to turn the heat up on one of the burners for searing each side of the stake before moving it over the other 2 burners for the rest of the cooking.  Works like a charm on those thicker cuts.  
And the top rack is so big that I can toast buns without them burning or put a full family's worth or corn on the cob up there.  
Chop View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Okemo Mountain, VT.

Quote Chop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2013 at 1:09pm
Nice! Sounds like you too are enjoying the propane. What brand did you end up picking up?
37! In a row?
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2013 at 6:51am
I got that Huntington from Lowe's that is actually a Broil King:
Absolutely love it.
Board Member
Board Member
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2013 at 2:49pm
My cousin just got their outdoor built in grill and kitchen built with natural gas line hook up so we're all ready for Sunday football bbq.  LOL
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2013 at 4:54pm
gonna try marinating steak with some Guinness again. last time I didn't get it quite right. turned out a little bland.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2013 at 12:35pm
^ Try marinating in:

dijon mustard, finely chopped fresh garlic, crushed red pepper, chopped fresh rosemary, lemon juice and lemon zest

Marinate overnight, throw on the grill the next day, delicious.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2013 at 10:48am
Well, it looks like I got the green light to go low and slow on an extra hunk o' thanksgiving this year.  not sure if it's going to be a 2nd turkey or whatnot, but my ribs went over so well for the 4th of July, we're going to try to BBQ an extra course for Thanksgiving.  

I'm concerned that it may be a little too cold though to effectively slow cook something.  Going to have to use more coals than normal, without burning the goods.

I've always grilled year round on my CharBroil Quantum, but haven't tried to BBQ anything this ambitious. 
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2014 at 8:20am
Been a while since we've talked grilling. 

This summer has not been great for grilling for me, as it's been kind of cold and we've been gone a lot.  

But i did find some good marinades.  We had this bottle of maple crown royal.  it's fugglin terrible... but it did work nicely to break down the stringers in a blade steak.  i didn't think that was possible, but it turned out quite good!
LeerroooyJenkins View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2014 at 10:23am
Sounds like that Maple CR would be good with pork.

I tried Hickory charcoal for grilling this summer, rather than traditional briquettes.  I kind of liked it and kind of hated it.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2014 at 2:21pm
Finally slow cooked some ribs last night. Neighbors came over.  I used my "classic" recipe.

Very basic, just slow cooked to perfection.  So good!
JoeyGlazer View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote JoeyGlazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2014 at 4:13am
^ My invitation must have been lost in the mail.

Mmmmm, ribs.... mmmmm....

Board Member
Board Member
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2014 at 11:55am
With my relatives coming over with containers of fish, we've been grilling fish so now my grill smells like fish.  Cry
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2014 at 10:15am
Man I hate I missed this topic 7 years ago.  I have 2 smokers and a gas grill.  A straight barrel style smoker and an offset smoker.  Just got my deck finished at the new house and had gas lines run to put in a built in grill.  I finally have my ribs recipe down!  Still working on perfecting my pulled pork and beef brisket.  I usually do a turkey at Thanksgiving as well.  Smoked turkey is the best!!!
www.chargeharder.com
Board Member
Board Member
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2014 at 11:16am
Smoking a turkey sounds like a big task in itself considering how big turkeys are, but never have tried smoked turkey before...sounds good.
JoeyGlazer View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote JoeyGlazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2014 at 1:04pm
Smoked turkey is awesome and well worth the wait (something like 30-40 minutes per pound).

Actually, just about anything smoked is awesome, one of my favorites is smoked salmon.
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2014 at 9:36am
Smoked turkey really isn't too tough.  Just don't use any kind of sugar based rub on the outside unless you plan to wrap it in foil about halfway through.  It will blacken the crap out of the skin if you do.  
www.chargeharder.com
Board Member
Board Member
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2014 at 11:42am
I just thought it would be a little tough to do since a turkey is so huge and heavy unlike chicken.
2zz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2014 at 11:58am
I'll rather smoke a turkey than deep fried one...
Is amazing to me that people don't take any precautions.
11 Rome Artifact Rocker 147 / 12 Signal Vita Rocker 147 / 11 Ride Canvas 144 / 12 CAPiTA Space Metal Fantasy 147 / 13 Union Rosa / 12 Burton Cartel Restricted.
Board Member
Board Member
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2014 at 12:06pm
He needed a bigger pot or less oil...and this was suppose to be an instructional video?  LOL
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2014 at 1:37pm
I assume there's a video up there about a turkey fire??

1st: fried turkey is freeking great!

2nd:  if you want to try this at home, just google "Alton Brown Turkey Fryer" and check out the video.  He shows you how to do it safely, and make a real cool turkey dipping machine out of a ladder and cable. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12