Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
brodster View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
What is there to say-

Online Status: Offline
  Quote brodster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thermal Guide
    Posted: Aug/13/2007 at 3:13pm
Thermal Guide future spot.
dennis View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2007 at 9:18am
A lot of people look like the Stay Puffed Marshmellow Man from Ghostbusters.  Usually these are the first people whining of being cold.  The problem is that these people were taught to bundle up to stay warm.  For casualwear, this might be fine, but we need to remember that skiing and snowboarding are high intensity/short duration activities.  That means we expend a lot of energy during a few minutes of activity.  Like it or not, we perspire.  Trapped perspiration is not good.

Here's how to layer:
  1. Don't wear cotton!  Cotton has a tendency to hold moisture.  If you have that against your skin on a cold day, it won't allow your skin to regulate a comfortable body surface temperaure
  2. Base layer - Depending on the climate, you want to use a synthetic top and bottom.  I sell a lot of brands, but I am partial to Patagonia's Capeline.  Vary your layers.  Use a Cap 2 rated garment for milder days.  Use a Cap 4 rating for the coldest days.  This layer is also called a wicking layer because it wicks layers off of your skin.
  3. Mid layer - Polar fleece products are used as insulating layers.  This layer traps air.  Trapped air keeps you warm.  For the coldest days, I use my trusty North Face Denali Jacket that has a Polartec rating of 300.  The Polartec ratings are 100 (lightest), 200, and 300 (heaviest).  In some conditions, a down vest or jacket makes a great mid layer.  On the mildest days, this layer can be skipped altogether. 
  4. Outer layer -  Your outer jacket and pants make up this layer.  The garments have a waterproof and breathable membrane that is laminated or sprayed onto the inside.  Usually there is a lining on the inside to instigate moisture management.  Ventilation zippers on the chest or underarms help for additional air circulation.  To meet US standards for waterproofness, the garment has to be critically tape sealed and have a waterproofness rating of at least 60 psi or 3000mm.  These garments are also treated with a durable water repellant (DWR) that acts as the barrier against the elements.
MikeDeMario17 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
lol

Quote MikeDeMario17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2009 at 11:46am
under armor pants and top under my normal where worked great 
Snowboard: Forum Manual Bindings: Rome Targa
Boots: Burton Tribute
Stance: Regular
Angles: 15, -15
Outerwear: Special Blend Notto Snowpants: Burton Shift
spb122005 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote spb122005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2009 at 3:03pm
What brands of undergear are most suggested?
Wait... I did what?
azn_dan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Me and the wifey at stowe

Quote azn_dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2009 at 4:11am
^^ i think underarmor is a safe bet, i have been using it and no complaints
poohcrackers View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote poohcrackers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2009 at 9:56am
i like underarmor as well Smile
Youngblood32 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Youngblood32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2009 at 3:49pm
WARM
dylanpipe View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dylanpipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2009 at 2:40pm
under Armour is the best!!buy themm
days:60
riding on ice, filming on ice
dimm0k View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Mammoth, CA - Jan 07, 2009

Quote dimm0k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2009 at 7:51am
gotta love the Under Armour!  Have two in my arsenal and have had them for 2+ years!  Does a pretty good job of keeping you warm and wicking away the moisture on your body.
stance: regular, front/back: 15/-15
old: Technine '04 MFM Pro bindings, Forum JP Walker 147cm
new: Burton '09 Triad EST bindings, Burton '09 Custom ICS 151cm
fighter365 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote fighter365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2009 at 3:31am
Underarmor!! 
Dont think twice
andrew86 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote andrew86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2009 at 10:26pm
I have Icebreaker series,
There so nice...
jordogg View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
Grateful Dead Uncle Sam

Quote jordogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2009 at 11:01am
What do you think of wool blend items?
Did you hear about the circus fire? It was in-tents.
giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2009 at 11:16am
Champion makes a great wicking base layer for tops and bottoms.. you can find em at any target and they're easily 70% cheaper than under armour. Under armour is cool and all, but i own both under armour and champion, and can't tell the difference. Plus, i'll be damned if i ever pay 50 bucks again for a shirt that was made in a sweatshop.
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2009 at 11:30am
dude, i saw brookstone's ad. they have battery power heated vests and fleeces and jackets and gloves and socks. yes battery power, and is rechargeable. http://www.brookstone.com/cold-weather-gear.html
or you can always get a snuggie.
kimchijajonshim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2009 at 11:35am
Originally posted by andrew86

I have Icebreaker series,
There so nice...

I prefer the fit of SmartWool, but agreed, merino wool beats all in my opinion.  It wicks better, feels nicer than synthetics, and has antibacterial properties that help avoid funk.  I wear mine several days at a time before washing.

The downside of that is that they are keratin-based fibers, so they will break down over time.

Under Armour-ish materials work alright for me on most days, but when it's really cold, I can definitely tell the difference between synthetics and wool.

Edited by kimchijajonshim - Oct/28/2009 at 11:36am
ROLL ON, BISHES.
dlaw View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote dlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2009 at 4:19am
Originally posted by 2zz

dude, i saw brookstone's ad. they have battery power heated vests and fleeces and jackets and gloves and socks. yes battery power, and is rechargeable. http://www.brookstone.com/cold-weather-gear.html
or you can always get a snuggie.

thats pretty cool but the idea isn't exactly new.  They have that type of stuff available for people who ride motorcycles.
je6ch View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote je6ch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2010 at 8:02am
Do you really need thermal layers if you got a really good jacket on?
vtplm View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote vtplm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2010 at 8:12am
the problem with not wearing a thermal layer is the sweat.  if you're thinking about wearing cotton and a really good jacket, the cotton will still get soaked and its really uncomfortable.  before i bought my UA cold gear i used to layer regular longsleeve t-shirts and i found that they didn't work nearly as well as just a layer of the synthetic stuff both in terms of comfort and mobility.  i hope that answers your question.
NGremlin! View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote NGremlin! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2010 at 8:14am
Originally posted by je6ch

Do you really need thermal layers if you got a really good jacket on?

Does "really good jacket" mean lined/insulated? 

Even if you have an insulated jackets (and depending on whether the weather is very cold), you're going to have to wear something under it anyway. You might as well make that "something" be a thermal shirt. I have a thermal shirt that looks like outerwear, so I just wear that under my jacket and I'm usually good. I haven't been on any freezing days, though. On really cold days, you may need 2 inside layers (base layer, insulating layer).
j3rm View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote j3rm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2010 at 7:56pm
I use icebreakers and absolutely love them for all occasions.

Just put on a heavy weight in the snow or a light weight on a hike.

Only problem is that they seem to wear out a tad faster than some poly gear I've used.
TROLL View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote TROLL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2010 at 5:09pm
Merino Wool! Icebreaker Fan here too. Used it to go to lappland to snowsport in the artic circle. Got away with wearing now much more.

ishidamoo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ishidamoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2010 at 2:46pm
Volcom thermal.
squeezied View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote squeezied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2010 at 8:32pm
a re-tarded question i know, but do you wash your base layer inside out? i have a UA base layer

======================
edited:

btw... when i typed in re-tarded without the "-" it changes to "mentally challenged". wtf... i guess it edits out other swear words
probo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote probo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2010 at 12:05am
I wear long leg skins as my base layer and then sherpa 210 superfine merino wool thermals top and bottom under my jacket and pants.
feld View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote feld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2010 at 6:44am
A great alternative to expensive base layers can be getting polypropylene base layer garments from Army/Navy surplus stores. You can find them super cheap, just make sure to try them on because sizing varies widely.  But for $10 to $15 you can get layers that the big name brands charge $65+ for.
tishaoz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote tishaoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2010 at 1:36pm
What is the best way to wash merino baselayers?

I got some Icebreaker and some I/O Bio, and I read woolite has detergents and is too harsh. I was going to buy Nikwax for wool but Icebreaker said to use regular laundry soap, but wouldn't recommend any brands... any thoughts?
tp1_kenobi View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Top of the Volcano, New Zealand

Quote tp1_kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2010 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by tishaoz

What is the best way to wash merino baselayers?

I got some Icebreaker and some I/O Bio, and I read woolite has detergents and is too harsh. I was going to buy Nikwax for wool but Icebreaker said to use regular laundry soap, but wouldn't recommend any brands... any thoughts?

Any liquid/powder detergent will work.  Icebreaker can be washed with normal clothing, that's the beauty of it!!  Depending on the weight, you may want to go with a more delicate wash with the 150gm or ultralight layers.
Corpion View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Corpion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2010 at 1:21pm
I seriously could never under stand why under armour are so damn expensive....Its just polyewhatever material. You would fine the same material in some of the cheaper stuff.

I personally use nike thermal, hot chilly.
jason.huenefeld View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote jason.huenefeld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2010 at 2:04pm
first time i road i just rocked cotten underlayers that was a miserable day... now its all nike pro gear. got a really good sale at sports authority... does just as good as under armour and is cheaper in price.
mallorysvz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Finally on the mountains!

Quote mallorysvz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2011 at 8:00pm
Any other things similar to UA - but a better deal like Nike Pro Gear??
AyChan87 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Snowboarding

Quote AyChan87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2011 at 8:37pm
chili pepper makes some good thermals, a bit pricy but worth it
watching-sunset View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote watching-sunset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2011 at 10:29pm
2 Dennis!

Probably the best comment in whole post. thanks for advises!!!!
Push hard and you'll reach the top
smoothrider5 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote smoothrider5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2012 at 8:41am
I completely agree with you guys that Merino Wool is the best way to stay warm when boarding. I recommend finding a product that is 100% Merino Wool. Many products (like icebreakers and smartwool) include poly blends and lycra which attract water and will wear out over time. I love my merino long johns because they are my own personal thermostat. When I get hot the merino wool helps to cool me down by moving perspiration away from my skin. When I am cold the it acts like a sleeping bag and keeps my body heat in. My fiancé loves them too because they are naturally anti-bacterial resistant (keep me from smelling like a jock strap after a hard day). My old synthetic long underwear used to reek when we got back to the car.

Over the years I have become very selective of the gear I am going to wear on the mountain. I have had so many products fail on me, and not live up to the promises made on their label. I get my Merino Wool from a new top of the line hunting company called Kuiu. They make 100% Merino Wool long underwear and it is a great product. Very comfortable, very warm, and extremely durable. All my friends and family always call me a redneck, so of course I got the camo pattern. But they also come in solid colors. They are very reasonably priced because they only sell it online. No retail markup = higher quality product made with better materials for the same price as an inferior product you buy at the store. Plus great customer service. I ordered the wrong size, and they let me exchange it no questions asked. They even said if I didn't like the product I could get a full refund. I highly recommend their Merino Wool.

http://shop.kuiu.com/base-layer-c3.aspx

CassinoNorth View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2012 at 9:14am
Not sure if this would be the place to ask, but the company that made first layer stuff Eesa, are they gone? I adore my top I got from them. If they are gone, anything similar to the material they used?
gsrrr View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
shred ze gnar

Quote gsrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2012 at 9:43am
Originally posted by CassinoNorth

Not sure if this would be the place to ask, but the company that made first layer stuff Eesa, are they gone? I adore my top I got from them. If they are gone, anything similar to the material they used?

Yes they are gone. Not sure which top you are referring to.  There are many different base layer types with different thickness and feel.  
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2012 at 10:19am
Originally posted by AyChan87

chili pepper makes some good thermals, a bit pricy but worth it

Really?  I always see them but never bothered to try them out.  I just may try it now.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
CassinoNorth View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2012 at 10:24am
Originally posted by gsrrr

Yes they are gone. Not sure which top you are referring to. There are many different base layer types with different thickness and feel.

Sorry, I was a bit vague. I suppose its a medium thickness with a bit of a small waffleboard type feel. Super comfy stuff.
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2012 at 10:48am
wow...this is a very old thread that got resurrected...

personally, i go with what is cheap a effective. what you want for a base layer is something that wicks away moisture from your body so you don't get cold from having freezing water on your skin. you don't really need warmth, you can do that with the mid layer or your outerwear.

for the top, i wear old navy's godry "performance" long sleeve t-shirts from their "active" collection from a couple years back. they were selling for about $10 or so and i picked up 2 of them.

for the bottom, i wear some tights i picked up from a ski/snowboard show for $25. i don't remember the brand, but the same vendor/manufacturer was also selling balaclavas and stuff like that. all black.

so, total cost of the baselayer is about $35 for both top and bottom. it gets the job done.
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2012 at 10:52am
Originally posted by smoothrider5

I completely agree with you guys that Merino Wool is the best way to stay warm when boarding. I recommend finding a product that is 100% Merino Wool. Many products (like icebreakers and smartwool) include poly blends and lycra which attract water and will wear out over time. I love my merino long johns because they are my own personal thermostat. When I get hot the merino wool helps to cool me down by moving perspiration away from my skin. When I am cold the it acts like a sleeping bag and keeps my body heat in. My fiancé loves them too because they are naturally anti-bacterial resistant (keep me from smelling like a jock strap after a hard day). My old synthetic long underwear used to reek when we got back to the car.

Over the years I have become very selective of the gear I am going to wear on the mountain. I have had so many products fail on me, and not live up to the promises made on their label. I get my Merino Wool from a new top of the line hunting company called Kuiu. They make 100% Merino Wool long underwear and it is a great product. Very comfortable, very warm, and extremely durable. All my friends and family always call me a redneck, so of course I got the camo pattern. But they also come in solid colors. They are very reasonably priced because they only sell it online. No retail markup = higher quality product made with better materials for the same price as an inferior product you buy at the store. Plus great customer service. I ordered the wrong size, and they let me exchange it no questions asked. They even said if I didn't like the product I could get a full refund. I highly recommend their Merino Wool.

http://shop.kuiu.com/base-layer-c3.aspx

I'm not sure if this is spam or not but ....

Merino is the ~ish! 

You should check out thin wool layers lightning, it's sooooo much better than synthetic. 

-b
get bent
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2012 at 10:56am
I feel like such a newwbie when it comes to staying warm on the mountain.
so people just wear underarmour and a snowboarding jacket? does that keep you warm enough or is there a middle layer?
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2012 at 11:00am
Depends how cold it is - time of year/where you are riding.  I was in a t-shirt on Friday. 

When it's cold I layer with Underarmor, then a fleece, then my jacket.  And i wear a face mask under my helmet.  When it's warm, I just wear a t-shirt and dwr hoodie.

edit:  I did get merino socks from REI and they are fantastic for snowboarding/hiking etc.  Warm and comfy.
smoothrider5 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote smoothrider5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2012 at 12:27pm
Not spam, just stoked on my new thermals.
Mandiiella View Drop Down
Local
Local
rr

Quote Mandiiella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2013 at 2:03am
Cant wait for thermal weather!!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply