Share/Save/Bookmark Page  12>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
brodster View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
What is there to say-

Online Status: Offline
  Quote brodster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snowboard Boot Guide
    Posted: Aug/13/2007 at 3:19pm
Here is the snowboard boot knowledge base page(one of the most important pages):

Originally posted by hoon

step 1. go to a reputable shop (or an online store that is willing to help you with fit and offer you return opportunities for free like Sierra)

step 2. try on the boots at the end of the day with snowboard socks on (or whatevery socks you ride in). end of the day? yep as the blood pools to your feet by the end of the day, making them swell slightly.

step 3. walk around the store (or house). simulate carving (bend your knees and rock back on your heels or rock forward on your toes). walk around some more.

step 4. keep walking around. check out what is playing on the TV at the shop or at home.

step 5. check to see how they might fit with your bindings. be gentle as you don't really own the boots yet.

step 6. inquire about any performance features. hopefully they have heat molding options.

step 7. smile. you got some killer boots that fit. it's probably been 20 minutes in the boots so you get a good feel on how they would fit on your feet.

step 8. pay for your boots (if you are in the store) and get those suckers heat molded!

step 9. buy other shit like orthodics if your feet are like 99.9999% of the population (wacked feet).

step 10. SHRED! LOL
Mike View Drop Down
Sierra Warehouse
Sierra Warehouse

Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2007 at 5:48pm
There are three things you want to look for when trying on boots.

1.  When you stand up straight your toe is at or near the front.  It should can be touching the front not pressing the front.  When you flex forward knee over your anckle you toe should no longer touch the front.

2.  When you are flexing forward you should feel like your heal is in a good snug pocket, so that your heal will stay down when your flexed forward and in a pair of bindings.

3.  That overall the boot is comfy, that there are no pressure points.

Thats it boot fitting made easy...
amylynn86 View Drop Down
Local
Local
aka SoCal

Quote amylynn86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2007 at 9:48am
Originally posted by hoon

step 1. go to a reputable shop (or an online store that is willing to help you with fit and offer you return opportunities for free like Sierra)

step 2. try on the boots at the end of the day with snowboard socks on (or whatevery socks you ride in). end of the day? yep as the blood pools to your feet by the end of the day, making them swell slightly.

step 3. walk around the store (or house). simulate carving (bend your knees and rock back on your heels or rock forward on your toes). walk around some more.

step 4. keep walking around. check out what is playing on the TV at the shop or at home.

step 5. check to see how they might fit with your bindings. be gentle as you don't really own the boots yet.

step 6. inquire about any performance features. hopefully they have heat molding options.

step 7. smile. you got some killer boots that fit. it's probably been 20 minutes in the boots so you get a good feel on how they would fit on your feet.

step 8. pay for your boots (if you are in the store) and get those suckers heat molded!

step 9. buy other shit like orthodics if your feet are like 99.9999% of the population (wacked feet).

step 10. SHRED! LOL
Boards: 152 Palmer Liberty Carbon, 147 Barrett Christy Gnu <br />Bindings: Burton Escapades <br />Boots: 32 Prions <br /> <br />Fa Kin Su Pah
brodster View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
What is there to say-

Quote brodster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2007 at 11:39am
10 cookie points for Amy for being the first to suggest a change or addition!Big%20smile

I will add that to the post.
amylynn86 View Drop Down
Local
Local
aka SoCal

Quote amylynn86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2007 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by brodster

10 cookie points for Amy for being the first to suggest a change or addition!Big%20smile

Embarrassed it's no problem, just keeping myself from going insane doing data entry at work.  yay for cookies though Big%20smile

Boards: 152 Palmer Liberty Carbon, 147 Barrett Christy Gnu <br />Bindings: Burton Escapades <br />Boots: 32 Prions <br /> <br />Fa Kin Su Pah
yawhatever123 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote yawhatever123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2007 at 11:45am

I would recomend thrity-two prospects. They arn't too expensive. But are so comfortable. I wore them all day with no problems or discomforts. I used to think that the best part of snowboarding was taking off your boots at the end of  the day. I was riding some P.O.S pair of boots. With my thirty-two's I hardly even notice them. They are amazing! I would recomend these to anyone looking for new boots. The Innerboot is super nice with a zip tie so it fits nice and tightly around you leg, therefore no chaffing. The boots are supergood looking and fit great in my bindings, burton P1's. I wear a size 13 and they are lighter than my friends size 7 freestyles! I can get them on as fast as my shoes. And off is no problem. You can't go wrong with these.

Not only am I dead Sexy But I can sing to... Im a tripple threat.
I had a parrot that could talk but he never said i'm hungry... so he starved to death.
Yonsei13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Yonsei13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2007 at 9:59am
Is there a specific method to heat molding new boots? Should I get the done by a retailer?
jason70360 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote jason70360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2008 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Yonsei13

Is there a specific method to heat molding new boots? Should I get the done by a retailer?

Bump for an un-answered question!
Jdub1123 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Jdub1123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2008 at 2:30pm
from what ive heard its better to get it done by the retailer if you want to heat mold, otherwise you can just let the first few day on the hill "heat mold them."
crashcookie View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote crashcookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2008 at 11:51am
Originally posted by brodster

cookies, where?! haha
ohh, that's my nick... sorry

by the way, have yous seen some '07/'08 salomon F series boots heat molded?¿
yabmane View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote yabmane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2008 at 8:45am
Can you guys school me on the heat mold boot? What are the reason?

Thanks
andayylam View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote andayylam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2008 at 8:50pm
What boot brands can you depend on?
Aprincesss223 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Aprincesss223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2008 at 1:12pm
boot size womens 8
no1windwlicker View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote no1windwlicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2008 at 10:01am
Originally posted by yabmane

Can you guys school me on the heat mold boot? What are the reason?

Thanks

basically they heat molds boots to simulate a day on the slopes. They put a glorified hair dryer in each boot and you put them on and walk around for like 15 minutes and the foam inside will be molded to your foot. This isnt necessary because as i said this is the same thing as wearing them for a day on the slopes.

it just speeds up the break in process.

just remember, not all boots have heat moldable liners.
Snow is life    
snowme View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote snowme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2008 at 1:08pm
size 12
neal1219 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote neal1219 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2008 at 5:50pm
I got some orthodics in my boots, there great!  But at a high price ($275!!!) molded to my very own feet though haha!
geebet View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote geebet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2008 at 3:56am
Here's a really good rescource:

A couple of points to add to the list:
  • Compare one boot with another by wearing two different brands and models at the same time. Use a process of elimination to work out the best boot
  • Your toes will touch the end of the boot, so make like a toe turn and using a small ledge or object press the toe of the boot onto it and simulate the heel lift
  • Do this after a while wearing the boot, it should feel snug, if not then try another size or a different boot, as wearing the boot and moving in it should heat up the liner and your foot will expand, but the liner will also try and accomodate, so the feel will be different. Hence a good reason for the comparison method above. A few days riding will also pack out the liner and it will become looser, so always go snug.

Hope it helps, I've spent loads of money on boots and to find they are different after a short time and also that custom insoles can really help most people.

kedgar View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote kedgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2008 at 11:23am
I'm looking for a basic all mt boot for my fiance... his board and bindings are both ride (just by chance) but he really has no pref on brand... any suggestions??
Rexyb1213 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Rexyb1213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2009 at 6:49am
Im looking to buy my first pair of boots but I don't know where to begin. There's not really a store near me to go try on a large selection, so I'm not sure what to do. I dont want to have to order a bunch and then pay to send them back =( HELP! Also, can girls buy guys boots?
Rexyb1213 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Rexyb1213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2009 at 6:51am
where do you get boots heat molded?
aznballah87 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote aznballah87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2009 at 4:59pm
how are the flow boa coilers?
volcomsnwbrdr7 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote volcomsnwbrdr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2009 at 8:49pm
speaking of boots. does anyone know of any sites that carry last years vans kass boots in red and white?

billy
MikeDeMario17 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
lol

Quote MikeDeMario17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2009 at 11:44am
you can heat mold them yourself by blow drying the insides for 10min. then walk around in them for 20 to 15, and they should be broken in more... and taking a run in them is what i did and they were broken in 
Snowboard: Forum Manual Bindings: Rome Targa
Boots: Burton Tribute
Stance: Regular
Angles: 15, -15
Outerwear: Special Blend Notto Snowpants: Burton Shift
MikeDeMario17 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
lol

Quote MikeDeMario17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2009 at 7:36pm

Burton Ozone is deff my next buy

Snowboard: Forum Manual Bindings: Rome Targa
Boots: Burton Tribute
Stance: Regular
Angles: 15, -15
Outerwear: Special Blend Notto Snowpants: Burton Shift
MrStak View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote MrStak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2009 at 4:53pm
I've yet to hear anything bad about any of the Salomon brand boots. I've heard such great things that I went out and bought them. In my current set up, they're the most expensive thing piece of equipment I own but man they feel good. :D Everyone I've talked to has said F22s have done them no wrong...in fact, all F series have never had a bad review by everyone I know that's worn them. I got myself Malamutes cuz I wanted CRAZY stiff boots and I got what I paid for. Definitely check out Salomon if you're looking for new boots...you won't be disappointed. 
Lam View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Lam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2009 at 2:52pm
I got my first pair of boots and there is a lot of heel rise. What stores would you recommend for buying boots in NYC? Paragon?
poohcrackers View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote poohcrackers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2009 at 12:06pm
if i bought my boots from sierra a while ago is it too late to get them heat molded after using them for 2 months?
Yoshi View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Yoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2009 at 1:39pm
If you have been wearing your boots for two months, they should already be molded to your feet.  The heat molding is simply a more immediate process.
poohcrackers View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote poohcrackers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2009 at 1:45pm
oh okay cool just wondering. yeah i feel that they're broken in finally so they fit pretty well now.  i did have some problems with it making my feet and toes numb but thats fixed now
Youngblood32 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Youngblood32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2009 at 3:47pm
worked like a charm
ezza444 View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote ezza444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2009 at 5:46pm

What are the advantages of having stiff or soft boots?

alilfishy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote alilfishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2009 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by ezza444

What are the advantages of having stiff or soft boots?

Stiffer boots allow the board to respond faster to your movements - the boot transfers more force directly from your nody to the board
Softer boots respond a little slower and are more forgiving

Check out about.com
"

Soft vs. Stiff Boots

More advanced riders as well as larger riders will generally need a stiffer boot than small or beginning snowboarders. Stiffer boots respond faster to your movements, provide more support for heavier riders, and are well-suited to faster, more aggressive riding styles. A good way to tell if a boot is too stiff is to raise your foot off the ground and try to flex your ankle as if you were pressing the gas pedal on your car. A boot that's too stiff will prohibit the necessary ankle flex, which in turn hurts your riding.
experience, respect and push life's limits
Scotty68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scotty68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2009 at 4:47am
also...i have 2 boots that are the same brand but diff model. same size. one fits me tight and the other fits me perfect..just something to take note of. 
snowboardguy321 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
the little bird

Quote snowboardguy321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2009 at 3:22pm

TOTALLY BURT0N MAN

Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2009 at 11:39am
most boots I've tried come with really weak insoles.  For just trying the boots on, these factory insoles are o.k., but I swap them out for better 3rd party insoles as soon as I buy the boots.  With better insoles, boots invariably feel much more custom fit.
denver View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote denver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2009 at 3:47pm

test

Hambergler View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Hambergler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2009 at 8:52am
Try not to be married to one brand of boot.  The shape of one's feet have a lot to say about what boots will fit.  Some brands offer different toe boxes (wide vs thin, tall vs short, etc).  The same goes for heel compartment. 

Many boot manufacturers have an increasing amount of fancy technology that may or may not suit you as a rider.  For example - Laces - you can get the traditional lacing system, aka you tie them yourself, or there are various ways by which you can have a pull operated quick-lacing system.  My personal experience has been that a quality pair of traditional lace up boots should stay tightly laced all day without problem.  Those riders who prefer to be tightening laces several times in a day may want an easier system, b/c it can be a pain to try tying up loose boots in freezing cold weather.
Quick-lacing systems to me feel a bit less form fitting in the models I've tried (Burton Ozone/Burton Ruler) and for some reason just don't make me feel solidly connected, I prefer the feel of traditional laces.  Obviously this can be different for different folks, so the best bet is to go try them on - having good boots aka comfortable feet is a key to really enjoying a day on the mountain

My overall point is that just because you have a good pair of boots with one company, don't expect all boots from that company, with various tech innovations, to fit the same

Patch233 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Patch233 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2009 at 2:03pm
I'm looking to buy my first pair of boots, as my poor feet have had enough of slumming it in battered rentals!
I'm looking to do a season, so I need a boot that can take the five months of abuse!
I'm going to have to go all the way to Norwich to try some style's on (so if you know any good stores in the Norfolk area, please recommend).
But I have no Idea where to start and could do with a few idea's of what to look for, brand's to avoid and brands that are fairly reliable.
I'm on up to $200/£250 budget, I want my boots to slip into some burton lexa est's on a feelgood ics board.
I suffer from flat feet (lack of muscle in the arch of my foot making it prone to cramp) and my feet are wide and a size 6.
My main concerns are that my boots can pretty much guarantee my feet stay warm and dry (cramp prone feet don't like the cold and wet much) and that they stay fairly tight when laced up, I don't mind having to tighten them a couple of times, but in rentals I was having to redo laces nearly every run, grrrr!
I'm not particularly fussed about fancy logo's and lacing systems.
I'm also thinking would people advise trying boots and making a note of the best fitting boots and looking to see if they are available online cheaper before purchasing at the store and getting an unnecessary dent in my bank account?
Lastly, I will be needing insoles, because the arch of my foot needs the extra support, but I saw one guy said 275 for his insoles! I definately cannot afford that kinda cash, flat feet or not, so if anyone can offer me some idea's for cheap alternatives, this would be uber appreciated!
Let me know your views dudes!
Stay cool x

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2009 at 2:07pm
DIRTY12 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote DIRTY12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2009 at 10:21am
anyone have an opinion on the New Balance Double Boa I think 686 might have had something to do with them im not sure and inout would be welcomed
snowfab View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Brighton sunset.

Quote snowfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2009 at 6:03am
Originally posted by neal1219

I got some orthodics in my boots, there great!  But at a high price ($275!!!) molded to my very own feet though haha!

wow that is high , my shop does em for 150-175$ 
trevorc1 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote trevorc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2009 at 4:05pm
I tried some boots on the other day and I was stuck between a size 10 32 lashed and a size 10 1/2. The 10 definitely had my big toe touching up against the end of the liner. The 10 1/2 was just a very light graze of my big toe. My gut is to go with the 10 1/2, but I am afraid when I break them in more, or the heatliner shapes, the smaller 10's will fit perfect and the 10 1/2 will be too roomy.

I am also pushing for the 10's so I can ride a smaller board.

Any suggestions? I am just not really sure if heatliner helps more when the liner is a too snug, or when it is a big too roomy.
Phantom9309 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Phantom9309 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2009 at 8:36am
If you really really want to go with the 10s then I'd ask the guy if you could:

1. Buy the boots in a 10
2. Heat Mold them to your foot (which takes ~25-35mins with heating)
3. Take them home and wear them around the house for an hour or two
4. Decide whether to return them for 10 1/2s

My guy said yes I could return them since they could just heat mold them to someone else but different places might be pickier than others.

I bought a pair of TM Two's yesterday and that is what I did. I got 10s over the 9.5s because it takes awhile for a decent quality boot to pack out a whole 1/2 size. Which means you might be riding 1/3 of your season uncomfortably.

This is only my third season of snowboarding but I've played plenty of sports and I've always take the steps to make sure my feet are comfortable to the max. I'm also wearing them right now as I make this post. Smile
surgyon View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote surgyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2010 at 9:53am
I'm a beginner looking for midstiff boots size 13 or so with laces/ zone lacing any recommendations?
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2010 at 1:02pm
hey guys,
thanks for the tips on how to buy a pair of boots.

but is there anything i should do to look after the boots?
like waterproofing spray or wax on the leather etc
je6ch View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote je6ch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2010 at 6:35am
Really new to this so here's a stupid question:

When you buy a boot/binding, do they come in pairs or do you have to select 2 for quantities?
Also, I'm assuming there's no difference between the left or right foot for boots, right?
lilymc View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote lilymc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 8:44am
Is it really safe to try to heat mold your liners at home (hair dryer/oven?) The shops in my area don't heat mold anything not even the authorized 32 dealer!

should I just resign myself to break in the boots by using them?
madnessman View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote madnessman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2010 at 12:04am
Thanks for the guide! Where can I get more info about orthotics? I've never heard about anybody using them in snowboard boots. Which brands give the best value for money?
marble49 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote marble49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2010 at 12:13am
quality advice~! couldn't have said it better

Originally posted by Mike

There are three things you want to look for when trying on boots.

1.  When you stand up straight your toe is at or near the front.  It should can be touching the front not pressing the front.  When you flex forward knee over your anckle you toe should no longer touch the front.

2.  When you are flexing forward you should feel like your heal is in a good snug pocket, so that your heal will stay down when your flexed forward and in a pair of bindings.

3.  That overall the boot is comfy, that there are no pressure points.

Thats it boot fitting made easy...
vtplm View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote vtplm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2010 at 5:50am
how are boots supposed to fit AFTER you break them in? mainly should your toes still be able to touch the front when you go heelside? if not, about how far away should they be?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>