Extra 10-20% off select Purchases
More Info - Join Now
0 Staff | 20 Members
Live Chat
trusnow
Powered by 393,294 Members
Shopping Forum Out of Stock
username or email password
 Forum Home > SNOWBOARDS > I'm riding tomorrow, how bout you?

Quick Login: Forgot password?

Topic ClosedLake Tahoe Dec. 15th

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bastimret View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lake Tahoe Dec. 15th
    Posted: Sep/08/2007 at 12:40pm
Ok, puttin some feelers out there for this now.  I will most likely be attending a training class in San Leandro CA from Dec. 10th thru the 14th (just waiting for my boss to approve it next week).  I was wondering how the boarding at Lake Tahoe usually is that time of year. 

What I'm thinking about doing is flying into San Francisco on the 10th, attend the class in San Leandro during the week, then hang out in San Francisco or head up to Tahoe and then board somewhere at Lake Tahoe all day Saturday on the 15th, taking a red-eye out of Tahoe back to Savannah, GA Saturday night/Sunday morning.  That way the company pays for all my travel expenses and my hotel Mon - Thurs, and all I have to do is pay for food, beer, and a lift pass.  Sweet!

I know some of you have already bought your passes for that area, you think it'll be ready to carve out there by then?  Anyone interested in joining up? 
Mike.M View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
OUTSIDE MY DECK

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2007 at 1:25pm

sometimes in December we have a 10 ft base and sometimes we have a 2 ft base but: we are always snowboarding in december in tahoe. Don't commit to a resort, because if it is a bad year, you want to go to a resort with great snowmaking like northstar, heavenly or sugar bowl.

fly out of reno. I will be riding nstar, sugar, boreal, alpine or squaw that day

bastimret View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2007 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Mike.M

sometimes in December we have a 10 ft base and sometimes we have a 2 ft base but: we are always snowboarding in december in tahoe. Don't commit to a resort, because if it is a bad year, you want to go to a resort with great snowmaking like northstar, heavenly or sugar bowl.

fly out of reno. I will be riding nstar, sugar, boreal, alpine or squaw that day

I'm not committing to anything really, other than riding somewhere in the Lake Tahoe area on the 15th.  I'll wait until it's closer to the date to figure out where.  Don't know if I'd rather drive up to Tahoe after class and stay up there somewhere, or stay in the SF area and drive up to Tahoe Sat morning.  Probably try to stop by SS too while I'm in the area.

I'm just trying to tack a kick ass day of boarding on the end of my business trip.  I don't get to head out to that area very often, so I want to make the most of it.  After class finishes on Friday I'm off the company bill (aside from my flight home) so I'm looking for cheap deals, Super 8 and the like, no resort hotels.  Heck, if any of the community members in those areas are willing to let me crash on a couch Friday night and then want to go boarding on Sat, that would be awsome!  I would pay for my room and board with whatever premium alcohol/beer is preferred Wink

Anyway, it's still a ways off, I'm just in the planning phase right now.  Doesn't matter to me where I go at Tahoe as long as I get to shred something other than lower east cost ice for once LOL  It'll be a great chance to break in my new CHB before I head to Jackson Hole in Feb.  Are there any benifits to committing to a location ahead of time?  Are the lift tickets alot cheaper than if I just decided where to go on that Friday (based on conditions) and just got a ticket there?

Oh, and thanks for the tip on flying out of Reno.  I'll be sure to check that out when I'm booking the tickets.
uncivilbanks View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2007 at 2:08am
if this year is as bad last last year snowfall wise (better not beThumbs%20Down) there will not be much of a base around dec. 15th.  if it turns out that way..id recommend any of the places that mike suggested..especially nstar with their huge snowmaking capabilities.  otherwise  hit up any resort as they're all great in their own ways.  boreal for park and alpine for pow!
Napolean's Island
bastimret View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2007 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by uncivilbanks

if this year is as bad last last year snowfall wise (better not beThumbs%20Down) there will not be much of a base around dec. 15th.  if it turns out that way..id recommend any of the places that mike suggested..especially nstar with their huge snowmaking capabilities.  otherwise  hit up any resort as they're all great in their own ways.  boreal for park and alpine for pow!

Hmmm, good advice.  I'm looking for someplace that's going to cater more to an all mountain ride.  More carving, with a little bit of park time.  So sounds like Alpine maybe, or nstar.  We'll see.
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2007 at 10:58pm
i don't think this year will be as bad as last year.
Last year it didn't seem to cool off until well into october - this year the heat's already startin to break.
We've gotten more weather patterns moving into the area already as well.
I'm here for the gangbang....
bastimret View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2007 at 6:04pm
Ok, it's confirmed, I'll be up there on the 15th.  Got the trip approved by my boss today.  Also found out that SS is conveniently on the way from San Fran to Lake Tahoe, so I'll be stopping in there for a visit too.  Maybe I should grab a gift card now to use while I'm at the store . . .

I'll bump this thread back up again when the time gets closer.  Start praying for snow!
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2007 at 9:35am
Originally posted by bastimret

Ok, it's confirmed, I'll be up there on the 15th.  Got the trip approved by my boss today.  Also found out that SS is conveniently on the way from San Fran to Lake Tahoe, so I'll be stopping in there for a visit too.  Maybe I should grab a gift card now to use while I'm at the store . . .

I'll bump this thread back up again when the time gets closer.  Start praying for snow!
we've been gettin it - more coming down today actually.

not a big accumulation yet - but to already have had a few shots of snow this early is a pretty good sign.

bastimret View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2007 at 1:22pm
I know man, I can't wait!  Got my board and all my outerwear packed up and ready to go already Tongue
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2007 at 9:22pm
make sure you let us all know before you get out here - there's an assload of people on here from tahoe. I know i personally wouldn't mind meetin up with some kats and ridin for the day.

bastimret View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2007 at 7:05am
Definitly will do.  As soon as the new corporate credit cards come in this month, I'll be booking the trip.
bastimret View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2007 at 5:01am
Got the new corp card, booked my flight, hotel, and rental car last night.

Mon - Fri: I'll be getting into SFO on Monday at 5:00pm, heading to the hotel in San Leandro, and attending class thru Friday.  Any suggestions within the Oakland/San Francisco area for dinners?

Fri: After class on Fri (4:00pm), I'll head on up to Sac-town, and drop by the SS store to visit, before heading on up to Tahoe that evening.  No plans yet on where I'm staying Fri night.  Cheap-ass hotel, parking lot, community member's place . . .  I'm wide open.  Doesn't matter to me as long as I'm on the slopes when they open on Sat morning.

Sat: Boarding, and lots of it.  Dunno where yet, I'll wait until it's closer to see what conditions are like at the different resorts.  Head back to SFO when they kick me off the mountain.

Sun: Fly out of SFO at 7:20am

Sweeeeeeet Big%20smile
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2007 at 6:52pm

Mon - Fri: I'll be getting into SFO on Monday at 5:00pm, heading to the hotel in San Leandro, and attending class thru Friday.  Any suggestions within the Oakland/San Francisco area for dinners?

Fri: After class on Fri (4:00pm), I'll head on up to Sac-town, and drop by the SS store to visit, before heading on up to Tahoe that evening.  No plans yet on where I'm staying Fri night.  Cheap-ass hotel, parking lot, community member's place . . .  I'm wide open.  Doesn't matter to me as long as I'm on the slopes when they open on Sat morning.

Sat: Boarding, and lots of it.  Dunno where yet, I'll wait until it's closer to see what conditions are like at the different resorts.  Head back to SFO when they kick me off the mountain.

Sweeeeeeet Big%20smile

Be aware that the drive from Tahoe to SF is a long one, especailly after a day of riding....  Just something to be aware of.

As for where to stay - that should depend on where you want to ride the next day. Decide where to go - then look for a place close by. The north side and south side are a decent drive away from eachother - that's made all that much further by morning-before-shred excitement.

You can get cheap lodging anywhere if you look though.
shRADnasty View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2007 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Sinixstar

Sweeeeeeet Big%20smile

Be aware that the drive from Tahoe to SF is a long one, especailly after a day of riding....  Just something to be aware of.

As for where to stay - that should depend on where you want to ride the next day. Decide where to go - then look for a place close by. The north side and south side are a decent drive away from eachother - that's made all that much further by morning-before-shred excitement.

SF to truckee.....2.5 hours. not too bad at all.
bastimret View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2007 at 5:24am

Unfortunately, there really wasn't any other option, I had to fly back out of SF in order to avoid any upcharges (since it's work related travel on the corporate account).  It should be ok though, as long as I've got some rockin tunes and a large cup of coffee.

Got a little over a month for conditions to start shaping up out there.  Come on snow!!!
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2007 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by shRADnasty

Sweeeeeeet Big%20smile

SF to truckee in 2.5 hours?
you're crazy!
Especailly considering he's going to be coming from SF to Tahoe on a Friday... along with all the weekenders from the bay area coming out to "shred the gnar".

tm12881 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2007 at 2:05pm

you're crazy!
Especailly considering he's going to be coming from SF to Tahoe on a Friday... along with all the weekenders from the bay area coming out to "shred the gnar".

I second that.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&saddr=San+Francisco,+CA&daddr=Truckee,+CA&sll=37.397034,-121.890915&sspn=0.007364,0.014441&ie=UTF8&z=8&om=1
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2007 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by tm12881

you're crazy!

I second that.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&saddr=San+Francisco,+CA&daddr=Truckee,+CA&sll=37.397034,-121.890915&sspn=0.007364,0.014441&ie=UTF8&z=8&om=1

Yea - and i'd say even that is a conservative estimate.
You get any traffic or weather at all - and you're looking at a LONG drive.

Last time I drove out that way - it was from Reno to Boulder Creek CA (just south of SF). Google says that's a 4:40 drive - took like 6.5 hours, and traffic wasn't even *that* bad - we were going opposite of most of the traffic.

tm12881 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2007 at 3:41pm

Originally posted by tm12881

you're crazy!

I second that.

Yea - and i'd say even that is a conservative estimate.
You get any traffic or weather at all - and you're looking at a LONG drive.

Last time I drove out that way - it was from Reno to Boulder Creek CA (just south of SF). Google says that's a 4:40 drive - took like 6.5 hours, and traffic wasn't even *that* bad - we were going opposite of most of the traffic.

Yea, the map says up to 4 hrs with traffic. I think 4 hrs from SF to Truckee is an average time if there is no traffic. But there are always slow trucks and big SUVs hogging up the road on I-80.

Especially with storm, 4 hrs can turn into what? 8 hrs? (I remember reading a thread about how long it took everybody to get home in the storm/traffic last season.)
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2007 at 11:39pm
oh man, last year don't even get me started.

It took me 2.5-3 hours just to get from Northstar to 80 one day during a storm. It's only like, a couple miles.

Normally a 30-45 minute drive door-to-door, took me like 4 hours last year. Luckily I was going east to Reno - so once i got to 80 it was relatively clear. If i was headed down towords Sacto - i'd probably still be sittin there.
All because some weather blew through - and they closed 80 on the sacramento side.

That drive can EASILY get screwed in the winter. Slightest bit of snow, and if they can't keep up with it with the plows - or one idiot spins out - that road's gettin shut down west of Truckee, both directions.
Mike.M View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
OUTSIDE MY DECK

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2007 at 2:22pm
if you are not a pussy you can make it from sf to tahoe in 3 to 3.5 hours.

myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2007 at 10:28pm

if i still had my saab i bet i could do it in under 3.....

stuck with this pussy ass impreza though.
bastimret View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2007 at 4:05am

Well, I'll be in a rental car, so let's wait and see what I get first Wink
shRADnasty View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2007 at 8:42pm
shit sorry! i lied, im from marin, soooooo marin to truckee 2.5
bastimret View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2007 at 8:59am
well it's getting close, how's it looking out there?
bite me View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2007 at 10:31am

It looks BROWN out here.  We don't have jack for snow yet! Ouch 

bastimret View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2007 at 12:03pm
well I'm brining my board anyway, so it better start dropping in the next couple weeks or it will feel my wrath! Angry
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2007 at 10:02pm
supposed to be stupid cold at night this week (teens to low 20s at night) in Tahoe, without a whole hell of a lot of warming during the day.

Should be able to see some mtns get thier snow making up throughout the week and at least get somethin goin on.

Also the possibility of snow for late this week/early next week.

We'll see how it *really* turns out though.

bastimret View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2007 at 11:17am
Gettin close now!  Gotta make sure I got all my gear ready to go this weekend :)
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2007 at 1:31pm

Gettin close now!  Gotta make sure I got all my gear ready to go this weekend :)

yea, we're getting dumped on at this very moment too....
bastimret View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2007 at 10:47am
Yea, I've been checking out the webcams at heavenly.  Looks sweet :)
bastimret View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2007 at 11:22am
Sitting in the class killing time during lunch break.  So what are the opinions on which Mtn. to hit up this weekend?  Any thoughts on that?  Heavenly looks like it's covered pretty well, but they seem to be on hold a lot due to wind.
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2007 at 5:26pm
it's been pretty windy in tahoe the last day or two.
100mph winds over some of the ridges. That's definately enough to shut down lifts.

boardoholic View Drop Down
Local
Local
The Dragon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2007 at 7:01pm

Sitting in the class killing time during lunch break.  So what are the opinions on which Mtn. to hit up this weekend?  Any thoughts on that?  Heavenly looks like it's covered pretty well, but they seem to be on hold a lot due to wind.

I've been keeping a watchful eye a few of the snow reports myself.  And by the looks of 'em, Northstar has got the highest percentage of terrain open.  And I just got an email that they'll be opening the backside on Sat!

I, personally, haven't been there in a few seasons since it seems to have gotten a lot more crowded.  I think it's a good mtn, but the sheer masses can be a bit overwhelming.  Again, it's been a few years since my last visit so it may be worth checking out.  I just remember when the lift lines weren't so bad & they were on my "must-ride" list every season.

You were lucky that Tahoe got dumped on last week and that this week temps are way low to keep the snow-making guns on all nite & most of the day in some places.  Too bad you'll be missing out on the system rolling thru next week.  Luckily, my last final is this Sat (when you'll be shreddin' up!) so I'm looking to get a day or two in late next week for my first time up for the season.

Go here, for N*'s lift & grooming report, http://www.northstarattahoe.com/groomingReport.asp
From that page, you can also go to their Real Time Trail Map.  <---really neat!

Happy Sliding!
bastimret View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2007 at 6:25am
Thanks man, excellent information! 

Ok, posted a separate thread looking for some overnight housing Smile
kimchijajonshim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2007 at 7:58am
I suggest Sugar Bowl.  Last week crowds were pretty mellow and coverage is solid except at the top and in the trees/pow stashes (which, predictably, is where I spent most of my time).

Northstar is fun, but I cannot stand the crowds.  Unfortunately, my friends sort of gravitate towards it because it's where they've gone in the past.  Super weak.

I will be at Northstar on Saturday and either Northstar or (HOPEFULLY) Squaw on Sunday.  Hope to catch you!
ROLL ON, BISHES.
bastimret View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2007 at 6:42am
ugh, need coffee.  To much to drink last night.  At least it's the last day of class.  Can't wait to get out on some snow tomorrow though.  At this point I'm leaning more towards NStar it seems.

Shoot me your cell # kim and I'll give you a call when I'm out there.
Nick View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2007 at 2:17pm

ugh, need coffee.  To much to drink last night.  At least it's the last day of class.  Can't wait to get out on some snow tomorrow though.  At this point I'm leaning more towards NStar it seems.

Shoot me your cell # kim and I'll give you a call when I'm out there.

Hey bast, I'll be there tomorrow as well. Wink
I'm here for the point, not the points.
 Post Reply Post Reply