never use a base cleaner on your snow board

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  12>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
scorpio67 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote scorpio67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: never use a base cleaner on your snow board
    Posted: Sep/29/2007 at 8:11am

please read the following if you want the longest life of your board and the beast performance.....read "HOT WAX AND BASE CLEANING"....TRUST ME ON THIS ...ITS WORTH THE READ

http://www.tognar.com/waxing_tips_ski_snowboard.html

no mater where you go ....there you are!
Raines View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Raines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2007 at 8:45am
very good:D

i like the pros tips:)
in vino veritas...
moldygiraffe View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote moldygiraffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2007 at 1:18am
Clap
zagfan5 View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
whatever

Quote zagfan5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2007 at 8:12pm
dang that sites thorough
Camber Is The New Rocker.
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote myke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2007 at 1:28pm
i've read that before.

There's some conflicting information in there though.
At one point they said tempatures in excessive of 240(i think it was) will damage your base.

Further down, they posted a tip somebody put in, that said the best way to get wax to absorb is to heat it with an iron to about 248 for like 5-8 minutes.

???
I'm here for the gangbang....
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2007 at 4:26pm
good site find OP...

that's one of brody's favorites.
natesnowboards View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote natesnowboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2008 at 12:49pm
good site, learned alot bout waxes
sambo2476 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sambo2476 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2008 at 2:12am
awesome site so informative.
yipperzz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote yipperzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2008 at 5:53pm
am i missing something?  where does it say never use a base cleaner?  the only thing i saw was to put it on a cloth instead of directly on the base?
scorpio67 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote scorpio67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2008 at 6:33pm
  • Never remove wax from your base with natural or synthetic cleaners. They are not recommended by ski manufacturers. Hot-wax scraping (see below) will enable your skis to run faster as the season goes on. You can use these wax cleaners to clean tools and scrapers.
  • Keep all tools clean. There are wire brushes for files and diamond stones clean well with a sink cleanser like "Ajax" and water.
  •  

this site is just as good if not better ,

Although base cleaners do work nicely, as suggested by Racewax.com they can be bad for the board of your snowboard as they can dry the base out making your hotwax a seemless waste of time.

They suggest doing a hotwax cleaning method.

yipperzz View Drop Down
    Local
    Local

Quote yipperzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2008 at 7:55pm
    yeah i can see how it can dry it out pretty badly if you use too much.  but i only use it at the end of the season to clean off the crap from spring conditions.  and i pour a little on the cloth and try to wipe it off.  if it doesn't take enough off, i then put a little more.  i think that warning is for people who pour it all over. 

this is what i saw on the site:

BASE CLEANER TIP
    A leading p-tex manufacturer advises that to help minimize any chance of reduced wax absorption after cleaning ski or snowboard bases, wax solvents should not be poured directly on a base, but rather sprayed or dripped onto a clean, lint-free cloth or piece of fiberlene or base tex paper, and the base cleaned with the cloth.

scorpio67 View Drop Down
    Lift Op.
    Lift Op.

Quote scorpio67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2008 at 5:58am

I just think for my own personal reasons that if the boards manufactures say not to use these base cleaners there might be a suitable reason behind it, on the other hand we are not professional racers so will it effect us on the mountain enough to really notice, for me I just want the longest life out of my board and if avoiding base cleaners can extend the life of my board, why not? Good luck and stay safe on the mountain.

shop_3694 View Drop Down
    Lift Op.
    Lift Op.

Quote shop_3694 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2008 at 10:20am
    Originally posted by yipperzz

yeah i can see how it can dry it out pretty badly if you use too much.  but i only use it at the end of the season to clean off the crap from spring conditions.
    This is exactly when you shouldn't use base cleaner... at the end of the season.  At the very least, if you do use base cleaner, apply a generous layer of hot wax on your board before you store it so that the base doesn't dry out in the offseason.
    stark03 View Drop Down
    Ski Bum
    Ski Bum
    not quite yet

Quote stark03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2008 at 6:39pm
    Base cleaners should ONLY be used when doing base repairs, or when you need to remove the wax on your board to ride in fake snow. Other then that NEVER use them rubbing alcohol removes dirt just fine.
    With Progress Comes Pain
    ANGRY AGENT View Drop Down
    Board Member
    Board Member
    WCPW #1 whore

Quote ANGRY AGENT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2008 at 10:15pm
    Aren't fake snow and real snow the same thing?  Anyways I enjoyed reading this, kind of like a refresher course. ThanksBig%20smile
    k2mix721 View Drop Down
    Lift Op.
    Lift Op.
    East Coast Rider

Quote k2mix721 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2008 at 4:42am
    Originally posted by yipperzz

yeah i can see how it can dry it out pretty badly if you use too much.  but i only use it at the end of the season to clean off the crap from spring conditions.  and i pour a little on the cloth and try to wipe it off.  if it doesn't take enough off, i then put a little more.  i think that warning is for people who pour it all over. 

this is what i saw on the site:

BASE CLEANER TIP
    A leading p-tex manufacturer advises that to help minimize any chance of reduced wax absorption after cleaning ski or snowboard bases, wax solvents should not be poured directly on a base, but rather sprayed or dripped onto a clean, lint-free cloth or piece of fiberlene or base tex paper, and the base cleaned with the cloth.

I do the same thing at the end of the season. In the spring my board gets sooo dirty and I have a white bottom. I get what I can off with hot scraping but what I cant I take off with that I take off with OBJ Citrus base cleaner (little tiny bit goes a long way) then before my boards go away for the season they get a nice fresh wax.Big%20smile  I guess its your own personal preferance but that works okay for me and my budsSmile
    When ur riding through the ruts, don’t complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don’t bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality . Wake Up and Live! -Bob Marley
    ridesnowboarder View Drop Down
    Instructor
    Instructor
    Signal Park Rocker

Quote ridesnowboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2009 at 6:37am
    I usually just clean my base with a warm rag before I wax
    bluedot_snow View Drop Down
    Ski Bum
    Ski Bum

Quote bluedot_snow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2009 at 7:58am
    they must have changed the format a little because there wasn't a section that matched the phrase hot wax and base clean. I did read that a solvent or cleaner should be applied to a towel first and oh wait did they forget to mention to dilute it first!?! anyone who's going to dump a bottle of simple green or paint thinner on there deck and call it clean doesn't deserve to ride a snowboard they make these things called, oh what are they called directional skis? 
    live like mountain, flow like river
    k2mix721 View Drop Down
    Lift Op.
    Lift Op.
    East Coast Rider

Quote k2mix721 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2009 at 5:35am
    Originally posted by bluedot_snow

they must have changed the format a little because there wasn't a section that matched the phrase hot wax and base clean. I did read that a solvent or cleaner should be applied to a towel first and oh wait did they forget to mention to dilute it first!?! anyone who's going to dump a bottle of simple green or paint thinner on there deck and call it clean doesn't deserve to ride a snowboard they make these things called, oh what are they called directional skis? 

I would NEVER use either of those on any of my rides but simple green green might be okay because its all natural and the ingredients in it are not very strong. Still both of those are a no go for me though. The thing about putting base cleaner on a rag first is right on for sure and good call on diluting it a bit. One thing people need to remember when using base cleaner other than what you have mentioned is a little bit goes a lonnnnnng way for sure.Smile 

When ur riding through the ruts, don’t complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don’t bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality . Wake Up and Live! -Bob Marley
    soxplayer View Drop Down
    Ski Bum
    Ski Bum

Quote soxplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2009 at 10:11am
    ya hot scraping is way better, the bottom of your board is poarus like your skin so it soaks in the wax, the cleaner can do the same the oils in it are bad for the base, if you haave never hot scraped b4 try it, its no biggy and suppose to be excellent for your base
    volcomsnwbrdr7 View Drop Down
    Lift Op.
    Lift Op.

Quote volcomsnwbrdr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2009 at 6:32pm
    thats what i like to see.
    myke View Drop Down
    Instructor
    Instructor

Quote myke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2009 at 8:38pm
    There are times when base cleaner does come in handy. The wax that builds up in your base can, and will, trap dirt and all kindsa nastiness over time. 

I normally go over my boards with base cleaner at the end of the season - before throwing a heavy layer of wax on for summer storage. It just pulls all the built-up crud and dirt out of the base that otherwise would just be sitting there all year. Every so often over the summer - I check to make sure the bases aren't drying out - and if they are, give it a quick once over with some fresh wax (don't scrape before storing).

The other time I use base cleaner, is if my boards get seriously fouled up during the early season. You get thin spots, rocks, treestumps, etc - and you end up with all sorts of dirt and gunk in there again. Base cleaner will pull all that stuff out - and give you a nice fresh slate to work with, so you can build up a good fast base for the peak season.

Hot scraping works for day-to-day stuff, but there's times where it's just not enough. It will get surface gunk out pretty well - but if you have dirt and grime really mashed into your board - it simply will not work.
    That dirt and gunk will effect your board's ability to absorb fresh wax - and cause many problems in terms of actually having a fast board. If you're careful with the cleaner, the results of cleaning with chemicals can be far superior to that of just hot scraping and hoping it gets all the dirt out.

The key is just to know when and how to use it. Use it as little as possible, as rarely as possible.

I'm here for the gangbang....
    shreddog_123 View Drop Down
    Instructor
    Instructor
    Duck season

Quote shreddog_123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2009 at 11:20am
    Hmmmm. Interesting. Clap
    jodds68 View Drop Down
    Ski Bum
    Ski Bum

Quote jodds68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2009 at 4:17pm
    good sight... but isnt that sorta common sense   
    snowboarding mastermind
    krispysteve View Drop Down
    Local
    Local

Quote krispysteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2009 at 6:34pm
    Thank you!!!  I have been looking for a solid link to reference, now I've got one. 

Making Steve smarter one post at a time.

Steve.
    surface_damage View Drop Down
    Local
    Local

Quote surface_damage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2009 at 7:50am
    pretty informative link
    icymallard View Drop Down
    Local
    Local

Quote icymallard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2009 at 10:00am
    good tips here... i have no idea how temp consistent my dakine iron is... im getting worried 
    morrowman54 View Drop Down
    Ski Bum
    Ski Bum

Quote morrowman54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2009 at 1:25pm
    dakines are generally very temp consistent
    azn_dan View Drop Down
    Instructor
    Instructor
    Me and the wifey at stowe

Quote azn_dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2009 at 7:00am
    ^ good to here that they are dependable. Gonna have to grab it for like 12 bucks now :D
    muddyshopper View Drop Down
    Lift Op.
    Lift Op.

waiting 4 the boys!

Quote muddyshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2009 at 9:07am
    very good to know!
    heischjr View Drop Down
    Instructor
    Instructor

Quote heischjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2009 at 5:54am
    i have heard you can use windex as a substitute for a base cleaner.  Any thoughts on this?
    shop_45296 View Drop Down
    Local
    Local

Quote shop_45296 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2009 at 7:50am
    windex dries out your board more, but you're waxing right afterwords, it's not too bad.  i just scrub it down with a paper towel and water before i wax.  just make sure it dries before you wax
    Piranha View Drop Down
    Instructor
    Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2009 at 11:15am
    windex??!!!...just buy some Simple Green
    DarthMullet View Drop Down
    Lift Op.
    Lift Op.

Quote DarthMullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2009 at 9:52am
    Thanks for that site
    PS- This is what part of the alphabet would look like, if Q and R were eliminated
    Piranha View Drop Down
    Instructor
    Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2009 at 7:19am
    unfortunately, base cleaner* may be the only option that will get all that stubborn spring dirt off your base...or at least the only real option for us basic, non-pro snowboarders 

that dirt impregnated wax is hard to get off, but don't be tempted to just pour base cleaner on the base and walk away - don't let it sit!  Instead, pour it on a cloth and just keep rubbing the base just until the dirt is gone...then hot wax immediately

you may want to wait until the season is over to use any base cleaner... that way, after cleaning, you can just melt a fat storage layer of wax on there for summer

*(or any all purpose orange/citrus based house cleaner)
    ilovewww View Drop Down
    Ski Bum
    Ski Bum

Quote ilovewww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 9:01am
    o wow i just got do reading that. that was long. but thanks i learn a lot i didn't know.
    KainRoK View Drop Down
    Lift Op.
    Lift Op.

Quote KainRoK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 9:05am
    Great knowledge to have, Thanks!
    NikolaSpee View Drop Down
    Local
    Local

Quote NikolaSpee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 9:08am
    thanks
    muddog257 View Drop Down
    Ski Bum
    Ski Bum

Quote muddog257 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 4:20pm
    What do you use, like what type of cleaner. Goo gone, Mean Green,etc.
    MtMansfield View Drop Down
    Local
    Local
    up at holiday valley

Quote MtMansfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2011 at 4:29pm
    Great Information, have read this before but this time around picked up on things I missed reading in the past
    Backflipmasterdana View Drop Down
    Educator
    Educator

Quote Backflipmasterdana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2011 at 4:46am
    Waxing your board is for cheaters! Just ride edge to edge all the time and you avoid the need to wax your board :)
    ChuckJohns View Drop Down
    Ski Bum
    Ski Bum
    Dreams await..

Quote ChuckJohns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2011 at 4:57am
    Originally posted by Backflipmasterdana

Waxing your board is for cheaters! Just ride edge to edge all the time and you avoid the need to wax your board :)
    LOL!!! I wish I could do that.. I hate waxing my board.
    gjyeske View Drop Down
    Ski Bum
    Ski Bum
    creekin

Quote gjyeske Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2011 at 12:00pm
    cool lots of good tips
    bmorse View Drop Down
    Local
    Local

Quote bmorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2011 at 7:23pm
    Very informative link.  I've read it before, but nice to be reminded of good tuning and waxing tips.  Thanks for the info.
    canadianbacon View Drop Down
    Ski Bum
    Ski Bum

Quote canadianbacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2011 at 7:33pm
    the title of this article is wrong

from the article itself:

"BASE CLEANER TIP
    A leading p-tex manufacturer advises that to help minimize any chance of reduced wax absorption after cleaning ski or snowboard bases, wax solvents should not be poured directly on a base, but rather sprayed or dripped onto a clean, lint-free cloth or piece of fiberlene or base tex paper, and the base cleaned with the cloth."

lol, pretty decent overview of waxing though, but this is too much for an average consumer, this really does mean much to anyone, unless your actually competing
    Eat Chowder, Ride Powder
    aecho1231 View Drop Down
    Ski Bum
    Ski Bum
    monster

Quote aecho1231 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2011 at 8:01pm
    i wouldnt recommend using dish washing detergent. go to your local auto zone place, and get oil remover/greese wash.
    canadianbacon View Drop Down
    Ski Bum
    Ski Bum

Quote canadianbacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2011 at 8:19pm
    Originally posted by aecho1231

i wouldnt recommend using dish washing detergent. go to your local auto zone place, and get oil remover/greese wash.

no you don't use any of that, you buy a citrus based base cleaner from your local snowboard shop
    Eat Chowder, Ride Powder
    nautika96 View Drop Down
    Instructor
    Instructor

Quote nautika96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2011 at 8:36pm
    holy crap thats more than i wanted to know about waxing. good info nonetheless
    kel View Drop Down
    Instructor
    Instructor

Quote kel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2011 at 9:01pm
    what canadianbacon said, its a citrus base cleaner that you want to clean the board not excatly a oil remover NOR dish washing detergent 
    strider2375 View Drop Down
    Ski Bum
    Ski Bum

Quote strider2375 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2011 at 9:44pm
    good to know
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>