Colorado

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 62>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Colorado
    Posted: Apr/29/2014 at 10:08am
Originally posted by )(nfinit)(

breck is the best and everyone should go there.  not even a point to go to any other mountain, it wouldn't be worth anyone's time.

in fact, the few times I have been there lately, I think everyone does go there.

I retract my post and agree with )(nfinit)(.  Everyone should go to Breck, it is simply the best.  The other resorts in CO do not even come close, do not ever go to any other resort/mountain in CO, there's no point.  Breck is where it's at.
)(nfinit)( View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2014 at 8:13am
breck is the best and everyone should go there.  not even a point to go to any other mountain, it wouldn't be worth anyone's time.

in fact, the few times I have been there lately, I think everyone does go there.
x_X
killclimbz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2014 at 7:49am
Hahahaha!  Oh my, are you going to have to go through with jribeirojrrj's idiotic comments yet again?  I see he is still the moron I remember.  At least he earned me my poo hat...
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2014 at 6:35am
^ That's just one person's opinion.   The poster does not state why he/she thinks "Breck is Best", please follow up with some reasons.  Living in CO and having been to many of the resorts I can tell you Breck is one of the most crowded with the longest lift lines.  IMO, Breck is definitely not the best.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2014 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by jribeirojrrj

Breck is the Best

Oh my goodness, look who's back!  King of the 4 word highly opinionated posts.  lol....

jribeirojrrj View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote jribeirojrrj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2014 at 11:05am
Breck is the Best
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Quote adeodadus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2014 at 2:35pm
Got back from Denver and must say that Snowmass is Clap

I did get two days of awesome snow with hardly anyone in the mountain..  As usual, Sundays were busy (all the pass holders) but Snowmass is big enough to disperse everyone.

btw : Burnt mountain trail was awesome when it started snowing.

Buttermilk had more park features but less area / Aspen is just okay / Vail was okay the days I was there (icy) / don't know why anyone would go to Winter Park (no offense)
Fear is the Mind Killer
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2014 at 5:26pm
Went to Copper yesterday and had a blast. Not a ton of snow, but everything was soft and there wasn't a ton of people. No lift lines anywhere either made for a fun day. Traffic both ways was non-existent too. Makes me want to do anyhting I can to avoid the soul sucking I-70 weekend drive.
Snow Day Colorado

09 Sierra Crew | 10 Sierra Reverse Crew | 10 Sierra Bluebird | 09 Union Force | 10 Burton Triad | 11 Rome 390 | 10 Burton Moto
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Quote adeodadus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2014 at 12:27pm
You guys checked out the Burnside Mountain ?

With the addition of Burnt Mountain, the total skiable acreage is now 3,362 acres making Snowmass the second largest ski area in Colorado. The terrain on Burnt Mountain features rolling, low-angle meadows, glades and spectacular views into the valleys between Snowmass and Buttermilk and the Wilderness beyond. This area is a powder skier/boarder’s dream with beautiful terrain that offers a super fun experience with a backcountry feel.
Fear is the Mind Killer
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2014 at 9:50am
Originally posted by killclimbz

Aspen is a great area.  

Plus it's a place where the beer flows like wine.  Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano.

Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2014 at 8:45am
Aspen is a great area.  They are in the zone that is well above average for snow fall for the season.  Unless the moisture maker suddenly shuts off, it'll probably be pretty good.  
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2014 at 6:43am
You'll be fine at snowmass. A lot can change in 3 weeks but march is typically the snowiest month.
x_X
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Quote adeodadus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2014 at 2:27pm
Will be traveling / heading over March 19 (meet up with guys all flying or driving from other states)

Just wanna get my expectations in line with what it is : like in 2011, we went to mammoth due to awesome review previous years, and just so happens 2011 was one of the worst yrs for them and just went downhill since.

I usually go to Utah (brighton and PC): I had to move my usual dates to Later Feb or March.
Fear is the Mind Killer
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2014 at 6:02am
i guess that would depend on where you are traveling from and what your other options would be.  Snowmass has had good snow this season but not a lot of snow in the last couple weeks.  Should get a couple storms through over the next few days and next week looks good too.  So if you are within a few hours drive, definitely worth it.  If you are flying in or something more drastic than a few hours drive, I'd probably look PNW or Jackson/Targhee as they have been getting a lot of snow over the last two weeks.
x_X
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Quote adeodadus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2014 at 3:26pm
Anyone know how the snow been so far this season for Snowmass?  Is it worth the travel
Fear is the Mind Killer
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2014 at 5:55pm
This weekend is going to be a total shit show. Wife can't take off work Monday so we'll go Saturday.
Snow Day Colorado

09 Sierra Crew | 10 Sierra Reverse Crew | 10 Sierra Bluebird | 09 Union Force | 10 Burton Triad | 11 Rome 390 | 10 Burton Moto
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2014 at 5:48pm
Most of us should appreciate this
x_X
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2014 at 7:40am
at least two feet in 24 hours.  have fun.
x_X
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2014 at 4:01pm
Saw this today. Was somewhat surprised to see him riding the big line at copper today.

http://www.summitdaily.com/news/9895042-113/copper-training-jump-games

http://www.summitdaily.com/news/9895042-113/copper-training-jump-games
x_X
namsapalooza View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2014 at 1:17pm
W00t Vail. Really liked it there last year. This year it's Steamboat time again. Soon too. Can't wait!!
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2014 at 10:52am
^ The condo is in Breck, so we're going to spend most of our time there.  Friends (one of my sons' classmates) are staying at Vail, so we are planning 1 day on the mountain with them.
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2014 at 10:47am
I haven't.  Too be honest I avoid Breck because of the crowds.  Only reason I'd ride there is to meet up with JR.  I would swap and spend 3 days at Vail and one at Breck!  
x_X
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2014 at 10:27am
^ Keep it fresh, I'll be out there next month.

Have you been on the newly opened Peak 6 at Breckenridge?  I think we are spending 3 days at Breckenridge and 1 at Vail.

Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2014 at 10:18am
One of the best starts to a new year.  Snow has been awesome.  Looks like a couple dry weeks ahead but at least we got the base.  Something around 4-6ft so far this month for most places.
x_X
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2013 at 1:49pm
Pretty darn good day. Overnight totals fell slightly short of expectations, but its been hammering all day and really snowing harder thru the day. Tomorrow could be a full reset with mashed pow as its base.
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2013 at 12:04pm
these are the days that looking out the office window is difficult.  At minimum hopefully this opens up a lot more of the mountains.
x_X
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2013 at 11:55am
I have a friend who works for Intrawest at Winterpark.  So of course he's out there today.  He said they have been dropping ropes on several runs.  The pics he slapped up look pretty decent.  Sounds like the official report is around 6-8" but I suspect they are still getting snow. 
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2013 at 8:13am
i'd check back Thursday for WP.  They should get at least a foot in the next 48hrs and that will help a ton.
x_X
evo_1320 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Snowboarding

Quote evo_1320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2013 at 5:35am
How is Winter Park looking. I will be coming out that way soon. Can't wait, never snowboared the CO!
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2013 at 5:32am
i'll take the rookies on the slope over the unduly confident and ignorant riders any day. 

The storm looks to be shaping up nicely.  Hopefully it stacks up close to 2 feet, though I will take any snow.

I like keeping track with Joel over at opensnow.com for the minority who don't know about his site.
x_X
ABrad25 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Play hard or look good

Quote ABrad25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2013 at 8:00pm
I am about to hit up the slopes this weekend...I still can't handle it over Thanksgiving break when all the noobs are out. 
milutinho View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote milutinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2013 at 6:46pm
it looks like you guys are supposed to be dumped on this week, from the san juans all the way to steamboat...enjoy if peeps
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2013 at 10:42am

since I prefer to ride at the resort right between those two, i'll take all the snow there for myself.  If there is any left over, I will donate it...but don't count on anything too much.  

We ride Copper too so that works for me!
Snow Day Colorado

ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2013 at 9:48am

since I prefer to ride at the resort right between those two

Take me with you.

/* problem solved */
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2013 at 8:09am
since I prefer to ride at the resort right between those two, i'll take all the snow there for myself.  If there is any left over, I will donate it...but don't count on anything too much.  
x_X
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2013 at 7:51am
^ If there's any way you can ensure a good amount of snow in the Breck and Vail areas in mid-February I would really appreciate it.  Wink
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2013 at 7:35am
well it looks like a short dry spell for a bit.  Nice thing here is the snow doesn't really melt off until April/May so conditions should only improve.  Hopefully things look great by end of January.
x_X
namsapalooza View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2013 at 3:55pm
Ermahgerd. Conditions are good? I hope they get to amazing by the end of January
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2013 at 2:51pm
conditions are good in colorado, but open terrain is limited.  not sure how much terrain whistler has open.

too bad about lindsey, tiger has been wandering around summit too.  Hopefully she is ok.
x_X
makattak View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote makattak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2013 at 2:11pm
looks like lindsay vonn got hurt at copper today...my friend works at copper and said the mood was pretty miserable after it happened.
sopel10 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sopel10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2013 at 1:16pm
how are the conditions in Colorado? I know there was a good size storm few days ago. I have an option to fly to CO/UT or Whistler this Friday and not sure where I want to go. CO is much much closer :)
CO_champagne View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2013 at 3:19pm
Crowds were pretty gnarly at Key today.  After 4 runs I had to call it a day due to crowds, wind, and ice.  But the first few runs were great.  Good to get out there.  Bring on the storms!
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2013 at 1:39pm

supposedly a storm friday and friday night for higher elevations - might prove useful at basin.  Crowds will be dominant at breck and key.

Thus why i go splitboarding tomorrow!
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2013 at 12:34pm
supposedly a storm friday and friday night for higher elevations - might prove useful at basin.  Crowds will be dominant at breck and key.
x_X
CO_champagne View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2013 at 11:35am
What would you suggest this weekend? A-Basin, Keystone, or Breck?
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2013 at 9:44am
FOBP class schedule for this year has been released.  10 years of doing this.

Thanks to generous donations from our sponsors, members and supporters, FOBP embarks on it’s Tenth Year of free avalanche awareness classes for the 2013-2014 season.

Classroom Sessions:

We provide backcountry travelers with an overview of avalanche awareness, avoidance, forecasting and rescue.
Topics such as route selection, hazard minimization, best practices, preparedness and terrain analysis are covered in a 2-hour presentation.  No registration is required. The classes begin promptly at 7:00 p.m. unless otherwise noted, and are open to the public and FREE of charge.  Donations are gratefully accepted and benefit our 501(c)3 non-profit grassroots avalanche education program.

Thursday, Nov 14 - 6 p.m. Bent Gate Mountaineering, Golden

Monday, Dec 2 - Anschutz Medical Campus, University of Colorado: Denver, Hensel Phelps West Auditorium in the Research 1 North Building

Thursday, Dec 12 - 6 p.m. Bent Gate Mountaineering, Golden

Tuesday, Dec 17 - Wilderness Exchange Unlimited, Denver

Wednesday Dec 18 – Oriental Theater, Denver

Thursday  Jan 09 - 6 p.m. Bent Gate Mountaineering, Golden

Monday, Jan 13 – Oriental Theater, Denver

Tuesday, Jan 21 - Wilderness Exchange Unlimited, Denver 

Wednesday, Jan 22 – University of Colorado, Boulder (classroom to be determined, check back here frequently)

On-snow sessions:

Reinforce and bring to life the fundamental concepts and vocabulary introduced in the classroom.
Under the guidance of veteran backcountry skiers, learn to recognize and avoid avalanche terrain.
View companion rescue demonstrations and learn to deploy rescue gear.
Our volunteer Field Team all have Wilderness First Aid training and have completed Level 2 avalanche courses. Our senior instructors have higher levels of professional certification.
Registration for the on-snow will open at the end of January and is limited to 75 people per day. FOBP members will receive email notification.
Participants are required to: attend at least one classroom session; bring a signed liability waiver; carry avalanche transceiver, shovel and collapsible probe; have skis or snowboard AND skins or snowshoes for uphill travel. Bootpacking is not appropriate for this class.
Spend a full day outside. Bring appropriate clothing and sufficient food and water.
Meet at the Berthoud Pass summit parking area at 8:00 am. (plan to stay until 2:00 or 3:00 pm)
Saturday, Feb 8 – Berthoud Pass summit

Sunday, Feb 9 –  Berthoud Pass summit
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2013 at 8:45am
Great news! What sucks is we won't get out to the slopes till after Xmas due to work :( So hopefully the tunnel widening will help. Coming from Copper there's still sometimes backups west of the Eisenhower tunnel, but that can't be avoided when they meter or let the hazardous trucks go through alone.
Snow Day Colorado

Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2013 at 8:42am
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/i-70-twin-tunnels-near-idaho-springs-on-target-to-open-dec-21

Looks like it should be done by December 21st.  Probably a little sooner.  That is good news.  Sounds like we'll have to possibly endure and extra shit show for a couple of Sundays before it's done.  That is if we get a lot of good snow between now and then.  So far so good...
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2013 at 2:43pm
Man, it was rare taking that road around the tunnel was faster since once you got to the tunnel traffic would pick up.  I know I pretty much passed everyone I saw getting on the side road.  

I think though that the new side road will incorporate what they built for the detour.  So it should be quicker than what it was.  

Regardless, with the exception of accidents or serious snow, it should make a difference.  How big of a difference is the question.  
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2013 at 10:21am

in theory they are supposed to finish the tunnel this month and then the following month will be to restore the trailhead that they took over for the road.  So I would assume the road won't continue in it's current form.

Since it will be 3 lanes starting at the tunnel, it will likely be quickest to jump back on I70 at idaho springs if you detoured.

the current detour around the tunnel used to be a dirt road that we'd take. With all that new road they put in I doubt they'll rip it all up. According to the timeline it looks like they'll restore the trailhead as well as CR314 so the road will at least live on in some form.
Snow Day Colorado

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 62>