Colorado

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 5455565758 62>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
killclimbz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
  Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Colorado
    Posted: Oct/23/2012 at 6:03am
I posted this up in the Knowledge base forum, but since this is a Colorado based thread...

The Free Avalanche Awareness class schedule for the 2012-13 season from Friends of Berthoud Pass has been announced.  First class is this coming Tuesday.  Here is the info.

Friends of Berthoud Pass 2012-13 avalanche classes

FOBP is pleased to continue our free series of avalanche awareness classes for the 2012-13 season. We will provide backcountry travelers with a classroom overview of avalanche awareness, avoidance, rescue and forecasting methods and skills.

Topics such as route selection, hazard minimization, best practices, preparedness and terrain analysis will be covered in a 2-hour classroom presentation.

The course is free and open to the public. Donations are kindly accepted. No RSVP is needed.

The class runs from 7:00pm until approximately 9:00pm.

Full-day on-snow sessions at Berthoud Pass will be conducted in February 2013. You must attend a classroom presentation in order to register for the on-snow.

MORE DATES ARE BEING ADDED, SO CHECK BACK OFTEN FOR UPDATES

Tuesday, October 30 - University of Denver, Sturm Hall 281 (Lindsey Auditorium), Denver
Thursday, November 15 - Bent Gate Mountaineering, Golden
Monday, December 3 - CU-Boulder, location HUMN 1B50, Boulder
Tuesday, December 11th - Go Lite Pearl Street Store, Boulder 8:00pm
Monday Dec 17 – Denver, Oriental Theater
Wednesday, December 19 - Bent Gate Mountaineering, Golden
Wednesday January 9 - Wilderness Exchange, Denver 7:30pm
Wednesday Jan 16 – Denver, Oriental Theater
Wednesday, January 23 - Bent Gate Mountaineering, Golden
Monday Jan 28 – Denver, Oriental Theater
Wednesday, January 30 - CU-Boulder, location tba, Boulder

letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2012 at 6:22am
Originally posted by killclimbz

I posted this up in the Knowledge base forum, but since this is a Colorado based thread...The Free Avalanche Awareness class schedule for the 2012-13 season from Friends of Berthoud Pass has been announced.  First class is this coming Tuesday.  Here is the info.
Friends of Berthoud Pass 2012-13 avalanche classes

FOBP is pleased
to continue our free series of avalanche awareness classes for the
2012-13 season. We will provide backcountry travelers with a classroom
overview of avalanche awareness, avoidance, rescue and forecasting
methods and skills.

Topics such as route selection, hazard minimization, best practices,
preparedness and terrain analysis will be covered in a 2-hour classroom
presentation.

The course is free and open to the public. Donations are kindly accepted. No RSVP is needed.

The class runs from 7:00pm until approximately 9:00pm.

Full-day on-snow sessions at Berthoud Pass will be conducted in
February 2013. You must attend a classroom presentation in order to
register for the on-snow.

MORE DATES ARE BEING ADDED, SO CHECK BACK OFTEN FOR UPDATES

Tuesday, October 30 - University of Denver, Sturm Hall 281 (Lindsey Auditorium), Denver
    Thursday, November 15 - Bent Gate Mountaineering, Golden
    Monday, December 3 - CU-Boulder, location tba, Boulder
    Wednesday, December 18 - Bent Gate Mountaineering, Golden
    Wednesday, January 23 - Bent Gate Mountaineering, Golden
    Wednesday, January 30 - CU-Boulder, location tba, Boulder

Thanks for the post. I've been looking for a free Avy class in the Denver area. I was hoping REI would announce one but this is even better.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2012 at 9:41am
Thanks! I've always wanted to learn about avalanche safety. Back country is something I really want to get in to.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Instructor
Instructor

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2012 at 9:46am
I just found out that REI is also having an Avalanche class on 11/29 at 6:30 p.m. It's the REI by Park Meadows mall if anyone is interested.
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2012 at 10:07am
Updated with some more confirmed classroom dates.

Also, December 18th will be our fundraiser/Christmas Party at the Copper Kettle Brewery in Denver.  It is a pints for purpose event.  One dollar off of every beer sold will go to FOBP.  Come on out and mingle with the crew.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2012 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by letourneau41

I just found out that REI is also having an Avalanche class on 11/29 at 6:30 p.m. It's the REI by Park Meadows mall if anyone is interested.

is it free?
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 3:51am
REI's basic avy class is free.  I don't think it covers as much as FOBP does.  At least in the past it hasn't, but we've kind of set a standard in the metro area. I know several places were beefing up their offerings because of our course.  Keep in mind that REI's course does not offer an on snow day.  It's just classroom.  FOBP's on snow is free, but you must attend one of the FOBP classes to be able to register for one of the two on snow days we offer. 
sopel10 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sopel10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 7:59am
i see some snow falling today - need much much more!!!  my vail trip is in 1 month and 5 days.

any predictions of the conditions for Dec 1st?
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 8:06am
Originally posted by sopel10

i see some snow falling today - need much much more!!!  my vail trip is in 1 month and 5 days.

any predictions of the conditions for Dec 1st?

Dec 1st is a little early for CO. I'm going to Steamboat Dec 15th weekend but I live in Denver so it won't be a total loss if the snow stinks. Too early to tell right now though.
Snow Day Colorado

09 Sierra Crew | 10 Sierra Reverse Crew | 10 Sierra Bluebird | 09 Union Force | 10 Burton Triad | 11 Rome 390 | 10 Burton Moto
)(nfinit)( View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 8:35am
Conditions on the 1st are typically manmade groomers. About 30-50% open terrain, some visible dirt areas, usually some
Amount of ice

Ive also had some decent powder days that early. For the most part not the greatest.
x_X
sopel10 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sopel10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 8:44am
Originally posted by )(nfinit)(

Conditions on the 1st are typically manmade groomers. About 30-50% open terrain, some visible dirt areas, usually some
Amount of ice

Ive also had some decent powder days that early. For the most part not the greatest.

that sucks although it's still going to be 100x better than what we have here in midwest.

Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 8:47am

that sucks although it's still going to be 100x better than what we have here in midwest.

Exactly. I moved to CO from NC and even last year's worst season ever it was still my best season ever. Stoked for a REAL season in Colorado this year!
Snow Day Colorado

09 Sierra Crew | 10 Sierra Reverse Crew | 10 Sierra Bluebird | 09 Union Force | 10 Burton Triad | 11 Rome 390 | 10 Burton Moto
sopel10 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sopel10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 8:47am

i'm wondering if i should move it to dec 15th - would 2 weeks make any difference? (i know it is all speculative though)

Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 8:51am

i'm wondering if i should move it to dec 15th - would 2 weeks make any difference? (i know it is all speculative though)

It could make all the difference in the world. We could get 12" Dec 1st and then get nothing till after Xmas. There's no way to predict the weather ;)
Snow Day Colorado

Instructor
Instructor

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Superorb

It could make all the difference in the world. We could get 12" Dec 1st and then get nothing till after Xmas. There's no way to predict the weather ;)

Superorb is right. The conditions in Colorado vary greatly every year. There's really no way to plan for great conditions. We've been getting some snow it the last couple of days so we should hopefully get a good base layer down to hold the snow that falls later.
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 10:21am
Later is a better bet than earlier in general at this time of year. 
sopel10 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sopel10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 11:09am

Later is a better bet than earlier in general at this time of year. 

yea for some reason i thought dec 1st would have been good already.

now i need to find out if it's worth it to change everything - i know flights will cost me about $100 extra a person since we paid $93 roundtrip when southwest had a sale....

thx for the input
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 11:14am

i know flights will cost me about $100 extra a person since we paid $93 roundtrip when southwest had a sale....

thx for the input

$93 round trip per person? That's dirt cheap.
Snow Day Colorado

sopel10 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sopel10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 11:42am

i know flights will cost me about $100 extra a person since we paid $93 roundtrip when southwest had a sale....

thx for the input

$93 round trip per person? That's dirt cheap.

yea that's why we organized it for that weekend.  last day for the sale in december was the 12th.

i actually have good amount of miles on southwest but this time used cash since it was so cheap - i have never paid less than $100 to fly roundtrip anywhere (plus bags fly free).

the whole trip is about $450 a person for 3 nights in a nice house in vail with everything - flight, rent, lift tickets (3day) and cars - so i guess we are not losing that much even if the conditions are not the greatest Ouch
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2012 at 6:54am
You may get lucky.  If you get a storm cycle that starts a week or two before you arrive, it can be really fun.  You can't expect the resorts to be operating at much more than half of their terrain.  Though if it's snowing enough, new runs will probably be opening on a regular basis.  You might score some "directed skiing".  That means ski patrol will open a run for a short period, meaning all powder.  They then close it once enough traffic has gone through to compact the snow.  It is an avalanche mitigation and base building technique basically.  Do expect core shots if you get to do this.  I wouldn't be riding brand new gear at this time.
sopel10 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sopel10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2012 at 12:18pm

You may get lucky.  If you get a storm cycle that starts a week or two before you arrive, it can be really fun.  You can't expect the resorts to be operating at much more than half of their terrain.  Though if it's snowing enough, new runs will probably be opening on a regular basis.  You might score some "directed skiing".  That means ski patrol will open a run for a short period, meaning all powder.  They then close it once enough traffic has gone through to compact the snow.  It is an avalanche mitigation and base building technique basically.  Do expect core shots if you get to do this.  I wouldn't be riding brand new gear at this time.

well even half of the terrain is great for me.....i am still debating if i should move it 2 weeks forward.  i have 5 more days to change my package - need to talk to the rest of the group.  for now i'm hoping for the best
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2012 at 12:21pm
There's a current SW deal that is valid to Dec 20th in case you wanted to move it back a week or two.
Snow Day Colorado

sopel10 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sopel10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2012 at 12:52pm

There's a current SW deal that is valid to Dec 20th in case you wanted to move it back a week or two.

problem with most of the deals on southwest is that they are not deals at all.....

for the past month it was $71 each way almost anyday chicago-denver and back.  then they had that crazy deal for 40% off so it came out to be around $47 each way.  now the deal is .....$108 each way.

either way, it adds about $120 per person.  we will probably stick with dec 1st and pray for snow Wink

...and plan another trip for JanuaryShocked
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2012 at 12:54pm

[QUOTE=Superorb]we will probably stick with dec 1st and pray for snow Wink

I'm not saying the snow will be terrible. It'll still be decent. March is our snowiest month and Feb is good as well.
Snow Day Colorado

sopel10 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sopel10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2012 at 4:25pm

[QUOTE=Superorb]we will probably stick with dec 1st and pray for snow Wink

I'm not saying the snow will be terrible. It'll still be decent. March is our snowiest month and Feb is good as well.

i'm a tax accountantOuch

last day to travel before april 15th is january 31Cry
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2012 at 5:21pm
Just visited A-basin today! Snow quality was awesome..I was expecting spring conditions but it was legit! 1 lift running, 2 runs open...and tons and tons of people. 
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 9:25am
A-Basin was probably better than what I found.  You be the judge.

And yes Cody was there too...

Instructor
Instructor

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 9:29am

A-Basin was probably better than what I found.  You be the judge.

And yes Cody was there too...

Wow, where did you hike to for these conditions.  Looks like fun. 
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 9:31am
^ killclimbz - I notice neither you nor Cody are wearing your poo-heads, what's up with that?

Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 9:36am
Just got notice that I won a day at the US Ski Team's training center with a private tour by an Olympian for this Wednesday at Copper Mountain! That's 2 days BEFORE the resort officially opens to the public.
Snow Day Colorado

ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 9:38am
^ Congrats, that's quite a prize.  How did you win it?
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 9:42am

Just got notice that I won a day at the US Ski Team's training center with a private tour by an Olympian for this Wednesday at Copper Mountain! That's 2 days BEFORE the resort officially opens to the public.

Wow, nice!  How??  So...do you get to ride that day?  LOL
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 9:44am
Originally posted by ctoma

^ killclimbz - I notice neither you nor Cody are wearing your poo-heads, what's up with that?

Ha!  I forgot I had those.  Maybe next time...
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 9:45am
After free lunch we get to free ride, but I'm not sure if that includes regular trails or just the ski team area. I entered a drawing on their Facebook page. The first 200 people were picked a few days ago, so I guess one of them didn't RSVP and I was next down the list.

Wife and I only ride blue runs so hopefully we don't have to ride the double black ski course. We could probably do groomed blacks, but we haven't tried is since we moved out here. I'll be on a reverse crew too so I'm gonna get my ass handed to me.
Snow Day Colorado

Mandiiella View Drop Down
Local
Local
rr

Quote Mandiiella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 10:56am
Utah is better
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Mandiiella

Utah is better

Yep it definitely is.  Everyone go there please.
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 11:31am

A-Basin was probably better than what I found.  You be the judge

At some point i want to get out there with you.
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by Scorer099

Just let me know.
snowboardslider View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
CBK Rail Jam (5 yrs old)

Quote snowboardslider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 12:34pm
yeah, in my dreams. I'd have to rob a bank... nah, jk. I'm with a company called Melaleuca, they specialize in wellness products. my check last month was $487. all I did was share the company/products with 8 people, who signed up. anyway, that will be my bridge to Colorado, Vermont, Utah, Switzerland, and all the other cool places! 
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 1:35pm
^^^ wow sounds like a cool company!!!  Where can I get more informations???
DeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDead

-b
get bent
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 9:07pm

Originally posted by Scorer099

Just let me know.

When did you go? I went on Saturday...ugh crowds.

I want to go with you too! haha.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 2:57am
Ha!  Those pics are from Cameron Pass on the South Diamond area.  It is pretty good there.  Probably as good as it got all of last season actually.  Get your avy gear mluu and a good mode of winter (I recommend splitboards) travel, a tolerance for suffering and we can get you on some good stuff.  Check out one of the FOBP classes I posted above.  They contain knowledge you'll need to know out there and it'll probably help you decide if it's something you really want to get into or not.  For free...
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2012 at 3:28pm
Looks like we're getting some snow this weekend...who's riding??
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2012 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by mluu003

Looks like we're getting some snow this weekend...who's riding??

Maybe Sunday, it depends on if I can fix my wife's car tomorrow. I thought the transmission or center diff exploded but it turned out to be a crappy axle the cheap bastard put in before he sold the car to us. The thing fell apart in my hands and now half of it is stuck in the transmission. I picked up a pry bar today and I'll get medieval on it tomorrow. If we go it'll be Sunday at Copper.
Snow Day Colorado

Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2012 at 12:24pm
Just a reminder.  There is Free basic avalanche awareness this Thursday November 15th at the Bentgate.  7pm.  Don't forget the beer.
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2012 at 6:01am
Added a couple of dates to the Free Avalanche Awareness classes.  One in December and one in January.  Boulder/Denver classes. 
sopel10 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sopel10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2012 at 10:04am
i'll be in vail saturday thru monday, thank god they are forecasting some snow for sunday night...
ABrad25 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Play hard or look good

Quote ABrad25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2012 at 10:13am
Im a CO boarder and had a few buddies head up to copper this past weekend. They said it was bad but it wasnt great either. There needs to be more snow everywhere. 
Oinker View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Oinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2012 at 10:19am
Colorado Mountains Need A Ton More Snow!!!! Way behind last years poor totals. We rode Beaver Creek over Thanksgiving, only 4 runs open but at least they were ride-able. Just got way too crowded with so few runs open. Let It Snow, Let It SNOW, LET IT SNOW!!!! ....please.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2012 at 10:55am
We are 40% BELOW the average snow pack for this time of year. That is terrible. We moved to CO last year and have had two shitty (so far) years in a row, all the time we've been in CO. Too bad we didn't move here a year earlier for the epicness of 2010/2011.
Snow Day Colorado

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 62>