Colorado

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 5556575859 62>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
killclimbz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
  Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Colorado
    Posted: Nov/28/2012 at 11:19am
Things can change in a hurry, but they will have to do it soon.  The snow in the forecast looks to be a little more than a wet fart.  Frequent storms that drop drips and drabs is what we usually get.  It adds up, but this only works when they are "frequent".  Right now, it just doesn't look like that is going to happen which sucks.
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2012 at 11:24am
Originally posted by killclimbz

Things can change in a hurry, but they will have to do it soon.  The snow in the forecast looks to be a little more than a wet fart.  Frequent storms that drop drips and drabs is what we usually get.  It adds up, but this only works when they are "frequent".  Right now, it just doesn't look like that is going to happen which sucks.

heh you should know, here in Denver we are well well below average. .25" this month, avg is 7".

I guess I can bike to work later this year.
)(nfinit)( View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2012 at 11:27am
fortunately, the season has just started.  Despite the lack of snow, fire hazard, low reservoir depth it's pretty awesome.
x_X
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2012 at 12:18pm
I'm busy with work till after Xmas so I can't go out anyways, but a lot of snow now would still benefit me in January when I can finally get out.
Snow Day Colorado

09 Sierra Crew | 10 Sierra Reverse Crew | 10 Sierra Bluebird | 09 Union Force | 10 Burton Triad | 11 Rome 390 | 10 Burton Moto
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2012 at 12:42pm
Some of the best seasons I have seen, are when it's unseasonably warm in Denver, yet it's nuking in the mountains just West.  I've got plenty of days in January and February where I've gone riding and it's snowing like hell, to come back to nice temps and sunshine.  So this nice Denver weather and good snow in the mountains does happen.  Just not right now.  It is getting time to start doing some powder hunting...  
Ejekted View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Ejekted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2012 at 10:30am

Some of the best seasons I have seen, are when it's unseasonably warm in Denver, yet it's nuking in the mountains just West.  I've got plenty of days in January and February where I've gone riding and it's snowing like hell, to come back to nice temps and sunshine.  So this nice Denver weather and good snow in the mountains does happen.  Just not right now.  It is getting time to start doing some powder hunting...  

4 years ago was like that. It was super warm all winter in Denver, and we didn't get snow in the mtns until Dec, but then it just kept dumping through 4th of July!
'07 Burton Feelgood with '07 Salomon Relay Elite Bindings, '08 B by Burton Alpha with '09 Salomon Relay Elites, '09 Arbor Push
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2012 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Ejekted

4 years ago was like that. It was super warm all winter in Denver, and we didn't get snow in the mtns until Dec, but then it just kept dumping through 4th of July!

Fingers crossed it's that way this year since I can't even get out till after Xmas.
Snow Day Colorado

09 Sierra Crew | 10 Sierra Reverse Crew | 10 Sierra Bluebird | 09 Union Force | 10 Burton Triad | 11 Rome 390 | 10 Burton Moto
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2012 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Superorb

Fingers crossed it's that way this year since I can't even get out till after Xmas.

That would be amazing! I'm just hoping a season that's better than last season. That is my only request.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2012 at 11:14am
Boulder Class is tonight.  Free as always.

I posted this up in the Knowledge base forum, but since this is a Colorado based thread...

The Free Avalanche Awareness class schedule for the 2012-13 season from Friends of Berthoud Pass has been announced.  First class is this coming Tuesday.  Here is the info.

Friends of Berthoud Pass 2012-13 avalanche classes

FOBP is pleased to continue our free series of avalanche awareness classes for the 2012-13 season. We will provide backcountry travelers with a classroom overview of avalanche awareness, avoidance, rescue and forecasting methods and skills.

Topics such as route selection, hazard minimization, best practices, preparedness and terrain analysis will be covered in a 2-hour classroom presentation.

The course is free and open to the public. Donations are kindly accepted. No RSVP is needed.

The class runs from 7:00pm until approximately 9:00pm.

Full-day on-snow sessions at Berthoud Pass will be conducted in February 2013. You must attend a classroom presentation in order to register for the on-snow.

MORE DATES ARE BEING ADDED, SO CHECK BACK OFTEN FOR UPDATES

Tuesday, October 30 - University of Denver, Sturm Hall 281 (Lindsey Auditorium), Denver
Thursday, November 15 - Bent Gate Mountaineering, Golden
Monday, December 3 - CU-Boulder, location HUMN 1B50, Boulder
Tuesday, December 11th - Go Lite Pearl Street Store, Boulder 8:00pm
Monday Dec 17 – Denver, Oriental Theater
Wednesday, December 19 - Bent Gate Mountaineering, Golden
Wednesday January 9 - Wilderness Exchange, Denver 7:30pm
Wednesday Jan 16 – Denver, Oriental Theater
Wednesday, January 23 - Bent Gate Mountaineering, Golden
Monday Jan 28 – Denver, Oriental Theater
Wednesday, January 30 - CU-Boulder, location tba, Boulder

mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2012 at 9:55pm
Finally some cold weather coming in!! Hope it brings some snow!
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
RastaRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RastaRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2012 at 10:11pm
Yea, snow is on the way according to forecasts, 13-22 inches between now and tuesday
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2012 at 3:35pm
Which website do you guys use for snow forcast?

I use http://www.snowforecast.com/resorts/4392-keystone-resort and I dont want to be falsely excited.

But if that's true, then I'm pretty stoked.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2012 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by mluu003

I use http://www.snowforecast.com/resorts/4392-keystone-resort and I dont want to be falsely excited.

Open Snow
Snow Day Colorado

RastaRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RastaRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2012 at 4:24pm

I use snowforecast too for the last few seasons, it's usually pretty good on forecasting snowfall. it's left me disappointed a few times, but you'll be hardpressed to find a forecast that doesnt haha

the layout, navigation and ads on opensnow really turn me off of that site
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2012 at 6:48pm
Cool, I used to really like snowforcast...but they recently changed up their layout and its driving me crazy.

How about an iPhone app? Which app do you guys use for snow forcast that's actually legit?
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2012 at 7:39am
Free avalanche awareness class at the GoLite store in Boulder tonight.  8pm. 
Sintexo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Sintexo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2012 at 5:24am
Can anyone recommend the best/cheapest options for transportation from Denver airport to Breck?  We've got a group of 8 people.

Thanks
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2012 at 7:24am
with that amount of people, best option may be a large SUV.  Otherwise Colorado Mountain Express (CME)
x_X
bdanross View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bdanross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2012 at 7:43am
you can take a bus to frisco (greyhound) and then take the summit stage for free. i think that is a pretty good option. 
ABrad25 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Play hard or look good

Quote ABrad25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2012 at 8:40am
Yea Colorado Mountain Express is what my buddies and I use all the time. Its not bad at all 
Ejekted View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Ejekted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 7:42am
Originally posted by jambbleit12

There's lot of Ski & Snowboard Vacation Packages in the United States, Canada & South America right now.

Early Season Snow Celebration: Save 25% when you book Now through December 12th!

Check here: http://www.toursdesport.com/-pl-2-special-COWP1-.htm

Stop Spamming the boards with your garbage. Every post of yours is about this crap.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 7:52am

Stop Spamming the boards with your garbage. Every post of yours is about this crap.

They aren't going to come back and read what you said. Spammers are usually bots that post a ton of crap and then move on to the next forum to spam.
Snow Day Colorado

milutinho View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote milutinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 6:29am
going on a road trip with the lady tomorrow...will probably ride loveland, a-basin and then shoot up to steamboat for a few days...trying to stay out of summit county unless there is a huge dump since i will be there in February. any advice on these places?
sopel10 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sopel10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 9:31am
wow it's been very very quiet here...

planning on flying in friday night - supposed to get 15 inches

renting a couch on airbnb for few bucks a night ;)

anybody going to be ridding? any resort pretty much
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by sopel10

wow it's been very very quiet here...

planning on flying in friday night - supposed to get 15 inches

renting a couch on airbnb for few bucks a night ;)

anybody going to be ridding? any resort pretty much

Wife and I are aiming for Copper on Saturday but it depends on her foot being good to go by then.
Snow Day Colorado

Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 12:34pm
if you're hoping for that much snow, I suggest heading down south friday.  I hope we get a storm like that in summit, but I would say you are much more likely to see those totals at Wolf Creek.
x_X
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by )(nfinit)(

if you're hoping for that much snow, I suggest heading down south friday.  I hope we get a storm like that in summit, but I would say you are much more likely to see those totals at Wolf Creek.

Agreed. Even still, 6" in Summit is fine by me. We need it.
Snow Day Colorado

Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 12:59pm
I'm with you.  As much as possible, but i'll ride whatever falls.
x_X
DWHIT View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote DWHIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 1:25pm
Praying for snow in Summit. Rode Keystone on Saturday and saw some the iciest conditions in a while.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by DWHIT

Praying for snow in Summit. Rode Keystone on Saturday and saw some the iciest conditions in a while.

The only time I've ever seen ice at Keystone is on River Run where I knocked my head pretty good.
Snow Day Colorado

DWHIT View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote DWHIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 3:26pm
Or every day on Mozart.
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2013 at 6:12am
FOBP Free Avalanche Awareness class is tomorrow night (Jan 9th) at the Wilderness Exchange in Denver.  7:30pm.  With more snow on the way, this is a good time to learn a little about what we face out there. 
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2013 at 6:41pm
Just spend the whole day at Breck hitting up the park and all the peaks. Riding the bowls and tree runs...Today was the first day I fully appreciated Breck!

I don't know why I never go there. Ah, new favorite resort!

youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2013 at 6:58pm
Just came back from riding Copper Mt. last weekend. Everything was iced up from the negative degrees and the bowls were closed. what an unlucky year Cry
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by haiv143

Just came back from riding Copper Mt. last weekend. Everything was iced up from the negative degrees and the bowls were closed. what an unlucky year Cry

We're actually slightly worse off right now than we were the same time last year. So since I moved to Denver 2 summers ago we've had the worst two years in history for snowfall :( Bummed big time.
Snow Day Colorado

inutil View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote inutil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 9:31pm
ha! thats me in nagano! Moved here 2008/09, awful season. Was pretty much done by mid march. 
Back again this year and ive never seen a january so lacking in snow. I mean we've now popped above 3.2m in nozawa, but this time last year they were a good meter above it (though this seasons been about 4 weeks longer). 

Might as well throw in the 2 weeks i spent in feb 2011 when we had almost a month of zero snow (the two weeks i was there, and 1 week either side of it). Actually, really, last year was amazing and a bit of an exception to things. :) 
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2013 at 4:13am
don't sell out on CO, just yet.  Last year was depressing.  But this year is far from over.  Typically March/April bring the most snow, last year was the exception that broke the back of the season.  We haven't even hit Feb yet.  It's really only the Summit resorts that have been completely neglected.  Steamboat had 100" last month (not that I ride there).  

Each area offers ups and downs.  Cali and PNW get dumped on, but can rain the next day.  You get great coverage, but you don't often get the nice happy fluff that we do here.  The other benefit is that if it snows 2" here we usually keep it.  Mammoth can get 5 feet and have it all melt in a week.

So to that extent, we all may prefer the West coast storms, but there are benefits here as well.  For their to be great years, we have a few downers.  One thing is for certain, snowmaking is a life saver.Big smile
x_X
CO_champagne View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2013 at 5:39am
^^^  Yeah, March is the snowiest month in Colorado.  Let's hope the storm door opens up again soon.  I've got some buddies that are on pre-planned trips to the Rockies.  Sucks they won't get any of that champagne pow!
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2013 at 5:47am
What?  We haven't had fresh snow in just over a week and the season sucks?  Yeah, it was a late start.  It does look like snow is probably going to return next week.  Middle of the season dry spell.  Hopefully it sticks around on the return through May...
Oinker View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Oinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2013 at 6:06am
...it's been another weak season. The resorts have opened up runs that clearly shouldn't be open but just for the sake of sayiong they have X number of runs open they have opened runs with rocks & dirt exposed. Hope the snow starts falling for real & soon!!!
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2013 at 8:22am
Yeah this season is taking off a little slow...but still better than last season!! But it's only January!
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2013 at 1:07pm
This season is a bad one.  No doubt about it.  Unlike last year, it can still save itself to some degree.  Give it two weeks and lets see what happens there.  Last year February was actually a good month.  Well the only good month of the season for ski areas.  We got good snow in April, but most everything was closed by then for the resort crowds.  
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2013 at 1:42pm
the positive note, for some, is that you live in CO.  You could live in North Dakota where it's ridiculously cold, snows a lot, but nowhere really worth speaking to ride.  
x_X
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2013 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by )(nfinit)(

the positive note, for some, is that you live in CO.  You could live in North Dakota where it's ridiculously cold, snows a lot, but nowhere really worth speaking to ride.  

LOL what do people do for fun then?! That sounds terrible, all that snow and no resorts.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
GOBANANAS View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote GOBANANAS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2013 at 3:26pm
well it looks like you can't snowboard/ski or smoke marijuana, it sounds like north dakota just sucks haha jk LOL
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2013 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by GOBANANAS

well it looks like you can't snowboard/ski or smoke marijuana, it sounds like north dakota just sucks haha jk LOL

CO is really THAT awesome hah! Spent the day on the resort and in the town of Breckenridge today...such a nice little town! It's so touristy.

youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2013 at 5:47pm

CO is really THAT awesome hah! Spent the day on the resort and in the town of Breckenridge today...such a nice little town! It's so touristy.

IKR? Really cool place to chill. Lots of people around with bars, restaurants and shops. But kind of a long drive from Frisco. Still worth the drive for us tourist.
cds4288 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote cds4288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2013 at 6:20pm
how much more expensive are Colorado resorts compared to Utah resorts? I might go to Colorado next time to try it out if it is feasible.
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2013 at 6:00am

IKR? Really cool place to chill. Lots of people around with bars, restaurants and shops. But kind of a long drive from Frisco. Still worth the drive for us tourist.

Yeah, an 8 mile drive from Frisco to Breck is REALLLLLLY long...
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2013 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Scorer099

Yeah, an 8 mile drive from Frisco to Breck is REALLLLLLY long...

I think maybe he means from Denver? Denver to Frisco is quite a distance..but Frisco to Breckenridge?
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5556575859 62>