Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Colorado
    Posted: Apr/09/2013 at 8:26am
Originally posted by )(nfinit)(

I made some weak attempts to try and get in touch with you on the 29th.  I was going to hit up Keystone for a couple hours...went to copper instead.  

Damn, I wish I had known, I would have tried to talk you into going to Keystone.  Our friends were at Copper on 3/29 (and then Keystone on 3/31 and Vail on 4/2 - they wanted to try several resorts).

We had a great time at Keystone, my kids really liked hitting the small side trails through the trees off the main runs.  Not knowing the terrain/layout I had some issues on a few deeper tree runs but managed to get through.  My family really had a good time in the baby park - Freda's Incubator.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2013 at 8:31am
Originally posted by sopel10

i'll probably stay somewhere in denver when i fly in monday night and then 1 night in Silverthorne in some $50 motel

Good luck finding a $50 motel in Summit.
Snow Day Colorado

09 Sierra Crew | 10 Sierra Reverse Crew | 10 Sierra Bluebird | 09 Union Force | 10 Burton Triad | 11 Rome 390 | 10 Burton Moto
)(nfinit)( View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2013 at 8:48am
$65 w/ tax using a coupon code at LQ silverthorne.

@Superorb  - maybe 4-5" nothing special.  Just cold and blowing.

@CT - I was just looking for a quick few park runs.  Did that for a couple hours and went home.  I think the season my be done for me.  Give my body a few weeks to rest before starting wakeboarding and mtn biking for the summer. 
x_X
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2013 at 8:53am

$65 w/ tax using a coupon code at LQ silverthorne.

That's a great price. Where can I find the coupon?
Snow Day Colorado

09 Sierra Crew | 10 Sierra Reverse Crew | 10 Sierra Bluebird | 09 Union Force | 10 Burton Triad | 11 Rome 390 | 10 Burton Moto
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2013 at 9:02am
i just did a google search.  the room by itself was only 69.99 regularly (before tax)
x_X
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2013 at 9:14am

i just did a google search.  the room by itself was only 69.99 regularly (before tax)

Weird. When I was looking for Saturday nights it was always $99 for the LQ and $89 for the Days Inn.
Snow Day Colorado

Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2013 at 9:20am
weekends do not equal weekdays.  He is coming on a weekday.
x_X
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2013 at 9:22am
Drrr, I missed when he said Monday night.
Snow Day Colorado

sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2013 at 9:26am
Sounds like he is spending Monday night in Denver and Tuesday night in Silverthorne.

A quick search on kayak.com shows several hotels (none of which has a good rating) for $52 - $70 in the area, although I have never stayed at any of these joints.  I guess as long as the room is clean nothing else matters.

sopel10 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sopel10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2013 at 4:48pm
that's pretty much how i feel

i usually travel with a bigger group during the season and we always get a house/condo for dirt cheap after you split the costs

this time it's only me and my brother, give me a bed and a working shower ;)

$50 a night plus tax:
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2013 at 3:20am
I am telling you, for the extra $6 stay at La Quinta (just do a google search for coupons).  It's a nicer hotel and you have Old Chicago on the main level.  I have never seen a Luxury Inn that was anything close to Luxury.  This one included and I have stayed in most hotels in Summit...but I am also picky when it comes to hotels.  I stay in them more than I would like.
x_X
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2013 at 8:02am
Plus I think all LQs have free breakfast.
Snow Day Colorado

sopel10 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sopel10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2013 at 9:01am
yea i think i'll follow the advice and stay at LQ.

$128 for two nights with tax.  decided to drive all the way there monday night, might be a bit more tired but at least we will be all checked in the next day

now all we need is few inches of fresh snow next week Wink

thx for all the input
sopel10 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sopel10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2013 at 7:08pm
i don't know why i never brought it up:

what about loveland?

1 day a basin and 1 day loveland?
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2013 at 6:46am
Looks like several resorts are extending their season.

Breck, Copper and Vail are all reopening for the weekend and Aspen Highlands will reopen for the last weekend in April after their initial close this weekend.

Hope everyone gets a chance!
x_X
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2013 at 8:32am

Looks like several resorts are extending their season.

Breck, Copper and Vail are all reopening for the weekend and Aspen Highlands will reopen for the last weekend in April after their initial close this weekend.

Hope everyone gets a chance!

YEAH!! That was such great news when they announced that. I mean...they've gotten TONS and TONS of snow on their closing week and closing day. I'm glad the locals nagged and got them to reopen for the weekend. I will definitely be at breck. Hopefully I'll see some of you fellas there!
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2013 at 9:54am
Hope you enjoy limited terrain, a big crowd, and tracked snow! 
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2013 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Scorer099

Limited terrain, big crowds and tracked snow is better than not riding at all.
CO_champagne View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2013 at 11:59am
Originally posted by ctoma

So true.  While I'm happy to see the warm sun more, I'm sad to summerize my board for the season.  I miss riding the little guys already!  They shall be waxed and stored for some sad months.
Oinker View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Oinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2013 at 12:56pm

Hell Yes!!!! My girlfriend and i had plans to stay the weekend in Vail just to hangout, lounge around in the pool at the resort, have a few drinks & such. Now, Bonus!!! Vail re-opens! Can't wait to get in a few more turns. Clap
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2013 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by CO_champagne

So true.  While I'm happy to see the warm sun more, I'm sad to summerize my board for the season.  I miss riding the little guys already!  They shall be waxed and stored for some sad months.

Haha I agree as well! I don't mind sitting in traffic, crowds, and limited terrain at all. I just spend my time lapping the park all day chill'n. Worth it to me!
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2013 at 6:37am
so...upcoming sales tend to kick off my winter focus.   

Where are the people getting passes this year?

Copper/WP and 5mtn?  
x_X
killclimbz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2013 at 6:56am
Berthoud Pass for sure...
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2013 at 7:55am
gotta enjoy the lift lines that come with that pass.  
x_X
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2013 at 8:02am
Probably Copper again this year. I won another Bluebird so I'll probably take that out this year. Still have my Reverse Crew too.

Hopefully they complete the tunnel widening before Xmas though, and hopefully it helps to alleviate congestion. We went wheeling this weekend and traffic sucked till the Hwy6 exit going east Sunday.
Snow Day Colorado

Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2013 at 11:07am
The tunnel widening is supposed to be done before the end of 2013.  So I wouldn't be surprised if it was worked on right up until New Year's. 

On the flip side those guys like holidays as much as the next guy.  So I actually wouldn't be surprised if they had the lanes open around the first week of December or so.  The project does seem to be moving along nicely.

It is going to shave some time off the drive for sure.  I think it is going to make a bigger difference for those coming from Winterpark than those from Summit.  Mostly because of the stupid tunnel metering for Eisenhower.  Still, during the worst traffic, I'd expect at least 15 minutes saved, maybe as much as an hour.  Denver bound traffic will still suck on Sunday.  It'll just suck a little less...
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2013 at 11:32am
^ What's the over/under on the project being completed before the end of 2013?
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2013 at 12:34pm
Too be honest, unless there is a major fubar it looks like it'll be done within the projected time frame.  They are getting ready to start moving in the support structure, maybe this week.  Then it's pouring tons of cement and finish work.  When they started this, I didn't think there was any way in hell it'd be done by the end of 2013.  Tells you what I know about civil engineering evidently...
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2013 at 12:42pm
The entire bracing structure is sitting just east of the tunnel. It looks pretty impressive. I hope the side roads remain in use so I can use them to bypass traffic on the main road.
Snow Day Colorado

Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2013 at 12:46pm
FWIW, that part of the side road is almost never faster than getting on the highway.  With the tunnel expansion, I seriously doubt it will be of much use.  Unless the highway is flat out blocked.

From what I have read though, it will be re opened to two way traffic.  Use it however you deem fit.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2013 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by killclimbz

FWIW, that part of the side road is almost never faster than getting on the highway.  With the tunnel expansion, I seriously doubt it will be of much use.  Unless the highway is flat out blocked.

From what I have read though, it will be re opened to two way traffic.  Use it however you deem fit.

It used to be invaluable when traffic was at a standstill at that tunnel. Dirt road or not, it was much faster than not moving at all. With the extra lane I agree that it should almost always be quicker.

Aren't they planning on widening the westbound lane too?
Snow Day Colorado

Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2013 at 2:35pm
Not at this time.  From what I understand, most of the widening is concerned with return traffic.  Too many people missing their flights and having that make them decide to go elsewhere on their next ski trip.  The state doesn't want to lose that revenue stream.

I believe the eastbound widening is supposed to go about a mile or two west of Idaho Springs when it is all said and done.  That will certainly make a big difference when that portion is complete.

The tunnel would be close to a stand still but as soon as you got in it, traffic loosened up and it was a go.  Especially over the last few years since they straightened out the bends.  I noticed that the side road never got me through faster.  Except for when there was a jack knifed truck.  Overall it doesn't mean a whole lot either way.  There are times I'd rather be on the frontage road rather than the highway, even when the highway is moving faster.

Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2013 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by killclimbz

There are times I'd rather be on the frontage road rather than the highway, even when the highway is moving faster.

Like when everyone is cutting everyone off and tail gating like clowns. It's a lot less stressful and relaxing on the side roads for me.
Snow Day Colorado

Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2013 at 5:17am
we may have a bad I70, but most days I'd still take that over the traffic from sac to tahoe or san diego to bear.  i will miss taking off monday's last season and skipping the traffic altogether.
x_X
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2013 at 7:40am

we may have a bad I70, but most days I'd still take that over the traffic from sac to tahoe or san diego to bear.  i will miss taking off monday's last season and skipping the traffic altogether.

Yup. We moved here from NC where it too us 4-5 hours each way to a 90 acre resort. I don't have a problem in my wife's car, but it's a royal PITA doing I70 gridlock in my car with a 5sp now that we can't take her car into the mountains anymore.
Snow Day Colorado

Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2013 at 7:36am
for those who don't already know, the new way to kick off the mindset for the season...

x_X
Ejekted View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Ejekted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2013 at 8:18am

for those who don't already know, the new way to kick off the mindset for the season...

I'm wicked excited for this event, especially since it's super close to my house!! Hope to see you all there!!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2013 at 10:05am

That is awesome, thanks for the heads up.  I'm going to get a group of people together to attend.
nai262 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
on top of half dome

Quote nai262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2013 at 11:10pm
I haven't been on this community site in years (last was when this was still SIERRA)! I just moved to Denver from Sacramento, just picked up my epic pass since I'll be between CO and CA this winter. I am excited!!
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2013 at 11:49am
Originally posted by nai262

I haven't been on this community site in years (last was when this was still SIERRA)! I just moved to Denver from Sacramento, just picked up my epic pass since I'll be between CO and CA this winter. I am excited!!

Welcome back to the community, you picked a bad time to come back since the site is still screwed up.  LOL  Grats on picking up an epic pass!
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2013 at 5:59am
looks like our first round of snow is here, good layer of white on the ground for the morning sunrise.  sweet!
x_X
sopel10 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sopel10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2013 at 11:03am
Abasin looks ready to open soon, another storm at the end of the week I believe
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2013 at 7:43am
Someone is going to open by next week if they don't open this week.  Wouldn't be surprised if A-Basin had a late announcement that they are opening tomorrow or Thursday. 
nuggetuconn View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote nuggetuconn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2013 at 9:31am
Heading there my first time in March. I can't decide where to stay; Breck or Vail? I do want to go to both mountains
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2013 at 9:43am
^ Oh hell yeah!  Time to scrape off the summer wax.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2013 at 6:00am
After a decade away, I'm moving home to Colorado!  Oh I can't wait for the snow and a Broncos Super Bowl victory
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2013 at 7:14am
Originally posted by CO_champagne

After a decade away, I'm moving home to Colorado!  Oh I can't wait for the snow and a Broncos Super Bowl victory

Welcome home Clap
Snow Day Colorado

Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2013 at 5:48am
looks like Loveland opens in a couple days and abasin is already open.  Hope some have already made it up.  I think I'll head up next week if all goes well!
x_X
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2013 at 11:05am
Looks like the mountains are getting some good early snow!  Everybody will be open in a few short weeks.  Smile
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2013 at 7:07am
Pretty decent for October for sure.  I went up to Bert on Saturday.  There is about 16" on the ground.  Just stuck to the grassy areas.  We were definitely going to the ground in spots.  Hit a few rocks, but it wasn't terrible.  You just have to be smart.  Looks like everyone got a few more inches yesterday.  If we can keep getting these drip and drabs storms every 4-7 days, we'll be looking really good by the first week of November.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5859606162>