Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 5657585960 62>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
)(nfinit)( View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Online Status: Offline
  Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Colorado
    Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 8:20am
he stated "from frisco"  but, hey maybe he doesn't like to drive.

On CO vs UT prices, it depends on where you ride.  The main advantage UT has is you don't have much of a drive to the mountains.  As soon as you get your rental car, you can be at the resort in about 45minutes (or less).  In CO, unless you fly directly to the mountains, which I don't recommend, you have a 2 hr drive from DIA to most Summit resorts.  

Sometimes you can find discount flights to Montrose and drive to Telluride.  Or fly in to Durango and ride Wolf Creek, Purgatory, or Silverton.  All options.  But it does get pricey pretty quick.
x_X
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 9:58am
^ Don't forget that John Denver never wrote a song about Utah...

Harry: Huh! I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.
Lloyd: I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man.

Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 2:14pm
If you live in UT the resorts are pricey I've heard. Season passes are all over a grand compared to CO passes.
Snow Day Colorado

09 Sierra Crew | 10 Sierra Reverse Crew | 10 Sierra Bluebird | 09 Union Force | 10 Burton Triad | 11 Rome 390 | 10 Burton Moto
thenightmancometh View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote thenightmancometh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 6:21pm
quick question for you colorado locals.. I am hoping to fly in on presidents day (Monday, feb 18th) and go boarding the following three days. I know the crowds can be pretty bad that weekend, but do you think its still gonna be bad mid-week after the holiday weekend? I might be able to go the following week instead.. thanks!
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2013 at 4:59am
depends on the resort, but crowds shouldn't be bad at all after the holiday.  Maybe a few more than your normal week, but I doubt you'll be waiting in lines.
x_X
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2013 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by mluu003

Originally posted by Scorer099

Originally posted by haiv143

CO is really THAT awesome hah! Spent the day on the resort and in the town of Breckenridge today...such a nice little town! It's so touristy.

IKR? Really cool place to chill. Lots of people around with bars, restaurants and shops. But kind of a long drive from Frisco. Still worth the drive for us tourist.

Yeah, an 8 mile drive from Frisco to Breck is REALLLLLLY long...

I think maybe he means from Denver? Denver to Frisco is quite a distance..but Frisco to Breckenridge?

Hah, meant to say Denver and end the sentence stating that I stayed at Frisco that night after Breck. Anyone had Buffalo burgers at Dam's Brewery? good stuff.

EDIT: Who here have any experience with Wolf Creek? Going to be there next week and hoping for some awesome powder with my family and friends. Any place to hangout/dine while we're there?
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2013 at 12:51pm
ah Colorado resorts...how I miss you.

at this point I imagine I'm officially a tourist when visiting the high country. fail.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2013 at 2:45pm

Hah, meant to say Denver and end the sentence stating that I stayed at Frisco that night after Breck. Anyone had Buffalo burgers at Dam's Brewery? good stuff.

yeah man I've had Dillon's Dam Brewery plenty of times! Super legit beer and burgers. Perfect after a day of boarding at keystone.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2013 at 3:23pm

yeah man I've had Dillon's Dam Brewery plenty of times! Super legit beer and burgers. Perfect after a day of boarding at keystone.

I can't have more than a glass of bear while up in the high elevation. I'd either get wasted or puke my food--not to mention the throbbing headaches from elevation sickness. But their burgers are good, worth the money I'd say. I'm a small guy and I can finish a burger platter/meal in one go.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2013 at 3:44pm
I didn't care much for Dillon Dam Brewery. Their beer was just Ok, same with the burger. The seafood soup is amazing though. We really liked Backcountry Brewery. Their beer and burgers were both great.
Snow Day Colorado

09 Sierra Crew | 10 Sierra Reverse Crew | 10 Sierra Bluebird | 09 Union Force | 10 Burton Triad | 11 Rome 390 | 10 Burton Moto
bdanross View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bdanross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2013 at 4:29pm
backcountry has some killer beers. i find them much better than dam brewery. breck brewery also has some really good food. check out the GOAT soup and whiskey if you want to go to a chill spot after a day at keystone. 3 buck drafts and they feature backcountry and dam brewery beers. cant beat the food prices and quality either
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2013 at 5:03pm

CO is really THAT awesome hah! Spent the day on the resort and in the town of Breckenridge today...such a nice little town! It's so touristy.

IKR? Really cool place to chill. Lots of people around with bars, restaurants and shops. But kind of a long drive from Frisco. Still worth the drive for us tourist.

Yeah, an 8 mile drive from Frisco to Breck is REALLLLLLY long...

I think maybe he means from Denver? Denver to Frisco is quite a distance..but Frisco to Breckenridge?

EDIT: Who here have any experience with Wolf Creek? Going to be there next week and hoping for some awesome powder with my family and friends. Any place to hangout/dine while we're there?

Wolf Creek: Flat, Flat... Flat. With that said if they get snow it can be a super fun place as long as you go there expecting to hike out of stuff.
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2013 at 3:46am
hehe, you can call most of colorado pretty flat =)  but, with the snow Wolf Creek gets and like JR said, if you're willing to hike.  You can have a great day.  

With that said, I've never stopped to ride at wc, just driven by.  So be sure to take my opinion for what it's worth...nothing.

But they do get a lot more snow than most of the state.
x_X
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2013 at 4:30am
Originally posted by Superorb

I didn't care much for Dillon Dam Brewery. Their beer was just Ok, same with the burger. The seafood soup is amazing though. We really liked Backcountry Brewery. Their beer and burgers were both great.

Hmm... Haven't tried Backcountry. I'll try it next time I'm in Colorado.

Originally posted by )(nfinit)(

hehe, you can call most of colorado pretty flat =)  but, with the snow Wolf Creek gets and like JR said, if you're willing to hike.  You can have a great day.  

With that said, I've never stopped to ride at wc, just driven by.  So be sure to take my opinion for what it's worth...nothing.

But they do get a lot more snow than most of the state.

Going next week so I'm hoping for some serious pow. I don't mind hiking at all, love to explorer and find a gem or two. This is my first time to WC so this will either make or break my image of it plus the 13 hour drive.....Dead

The nearest major airport is 5 hours away! (Denver airport)
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2013 at 9:03am
You're driving 13 hours to WC?!!? geez. crazy.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2013 at 10:24am

hehe, you can call most of colorado pretty flat

Right, so lets talk about you and buying a house/condo somewhere... Aspen? JACKSON HOLE???
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2013 at 12:20pm

You're driving 13 hours to WC?!!? geez. crazy.

yeah... I really wouldn't but my bro and his wife got time share and they decided to go there. I stay for free so it's okay. But 13 hours...my buns are gonna hurt more than it will on the slope! LOL
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2013 at 12:46pm

hehe, you can call most of colorado pretty flat

Right, so lets talk about you and buying a house/condo somewhere... Aspen? JACKSON HOLE???

I already have free places to stay at both those places.  I need a summit home, and a lot of spare cash.

I think it's time for you to move to the Roaring Fork Valley.  Be a great excuse to go there more often.
x_X
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2013 at 7:03pm
Have any of you guys been up to Imperial Lift at Breck yet? I didnt know it was suppose to be the "highest lift in north america"?
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2013 at 8:45am
I posted some trip reports on another site. Also went to Copper yesterday but there wasn't much to talk about, just a regular day out.

Abasin 1/25/2013

Copper Mountain 1/27/2013

Snow Day Colorado

Oinker View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Oinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2013 at 9:03am

Have any of you guys been up to Imperial Lift at Breck yet? I didnt know it was suppose to be the "highest lift in north america"?
Indeed it is the highest lift in North America! It's a pretty sweet ride up & an even sweeter ride making your way down the mountain!!! A most do lift ride & run if you are in Breckenridge.
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2013 at 9:06am
you have to make the 100 foot hike to the top to look over the back as well.  One of the best views in summit.  Although it's a steep hike, well worth it.
x_X
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2013 at 9:35am

Yes.  I took the T-Bar to the Alpine Alley run to get on the Imperial Express Chair, the T-Bar was slightly uncomfortable but worth it once I got to the top where the Imperial chair dumps you off.

you have to make the 100 foot hike to the top to look over the back as well.  One of the best views in summit.  Although it's a steep hike, well worth it.

Damn, wish I had known that back in April...
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2013 at 2:26pm

AWESOME! I will keep this in mind and do this, thanks for the tip!

Won't be able to board this weekend, but I'm stoked to try Imperial lift for the first time.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2013 at 8:48pm
haiv: eateries close to Wolf Creek...

http://www.pagosa.com/restaurants_az.php

Patrol at WC can help you out with backcountry terrain navigating if you're up to it...my bud went there today and did exactly that. Said it was so damn fun he didn't have time to take a camera out for pictures...just caught up in it & concentrating while they taught him how to read snow stability.

WC may be on the flatter side in comparison to a lot of places in CO, but they do have the highest natural snowfall average in the state...pretty worth it to me if you get the goods!

ALSO....if you're there on Sunday Feb 10th, it's "Locals Day" and lift tix are only $35 (versus $56) -- but you don't have to prove you're a local to get the price.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2013 at 6:43am
If WC wasn't such a long drive I'd definitely go there. It's like driving to Snowshoe from Raleigh back on the east coast :)
Snow Day Colorado

killclimbz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2013 at 8:53am
All, I am a little late in posting this but I think some of you are interested in attending this. 

The Friends of Berthoud Pass on snow weekend is this Saturday and Sunday 9-10. It is a free class. If you've attended a Friends of Berthoud Pass avalanche awareness class, we are going to take what was taught in the class room out onto the snow. You only need to attend one day.

You can sign up here: 2013 On-Snow Registration « Friends of Berthoud Pass

It's a link to the sign up link but info is contained there you need to know. Like what time to be at the pass and ready to go.

For the basics. You'll need a way to travel over the snow. Snowshoes, splitboard, AT skis (ha) and a way to slide down. So a snowboard if you are not riding a split. A way to carry your gear and basic avalanche equipment. You have to have a working beacon, shovel, and probe. Don't forget water and food. We'll be hiking around the pass. Generally speaking the class runs about six hours. We'll go over safe travel techniques, looking at snow pits, and using your rescue gear.

PM me if you have any questions.

Hope to see some of you on the pass.
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2013 at 11:47am
Originally posted by mommehK

haiv: eateries close to Wolf Creek...

http://www.pagosa.com/restaurants_az.php

Patrol at WC can help you out with backcountry terrain navigating if you're up to it...my bud went there today and did exactly that. Said it was so damn fun he didn't have time to take a camera out for pictures...just caught up in it & concentrating while they taught him how to read snow stability.

WC may be on the flatter side in comparison to a lot of places in CO, but they do have the highest natural snowfall average in the state...pretty worth it to me if you get the goods!

ALSO....if you're there on Sunday Feb 10th, it's "Locals Day" and lift tix are only $35 (versus $56) -- but you don't have to prove you're a local to get the price.

Just got back! It was pretty nice. I only got a chance to do the smaller bowl (had to hike back from the highway..pretty far!) but it was lots of fun. Barely anybody there and I got to pick my own lines. Aside from the bowl I did mostly Blues with lots of trees, lots of fun dodging trees. It was about 35-40 degrees both days so I was very pleased with the trip. except for the 12 hour drive...ugh, still feeling it!
bdanross View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bdanross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2013 at 5:29am
another pow day in colorado! awesome 1 inch which probably means 1/2 inch. 
Oinker View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Oinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2013 at 5:39am
We should receive some for real snow this weekend. That is if the weather guess-ers come close to what they are predicting. At this point any snow is good snow!!!
Oinker View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Oinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2013 at 5:58am
Originally posted by bdanross

another pow day in colorado! awesome 1 inch which probably means 1/2 inch. 
LOL! The resorts would never stretch the true regarding snow totals. Wink Wink
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2013 at 6:11am
^ Based on my experiences Beaver Creek always exaggerates the snow totals but I still love the place.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2013 at 9:31am
Originally posted by sideways99

^ Based on my experiences Beaver Creek always exaggerates the snow totals but I still love the place.

I went there one once and they were giving out freshly made chocolate chip cookies!! Do they always do that?
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2013 at 9:34am

I went there one once and they were giving out freshly made chocolate chip cookies!! Do they always do that?

Yup.
Snow Day Colorado

bdanross View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bdanross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2013 at 6:54pm
well i went to keystone today and it wasnt bad. like 2 inches total during the day. just enough to cover logs in the trees
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2013 at 8:09pm

well i went to keystone today and it wasnt bad. like 2 inches total during the day. just enough to cover logs in the trees

Only 2 inches? I was hoping Keystone got more. I guess I'm going to Breck this week. Stoked to give Imperial charlift a try.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2013 at 7:52am

Only 2 inches? I was hoping Keystone got more. I guess I'm going to Breck this week. Stoked to give Imperial charlift a try.

Copper only got 2" Saturday night too when they were expecting 4"+. We still went, but the traffic jam coming home made it not worth it.
Snow Day Colorado

bdanross View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bdanross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2013 at 7:58am
vail was really fun on sunday. there was some pretty deep powder in the right spots. took 3 hours to get home. light rail to vail! needs to happen. 
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2013 at 8:38am

took 3 hours to get home. light rail to vail! needs to happen. 

Try doing it in a 5sp, it SUCKS! We take back roads back, but they only allow us to avoid maybe half of I70. And they're more likely snow packed or just in worse shape than I70. I have old, old all seasons that don't do well in the snow so I end up going 30-35mph. Still beats stop and go for me.
Snow Day Colorado

mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2013 at 4:12pm
Went to Breck today and made it up to Imperial lift for the first time. It was absolutely amazing since they have been getting so much snow. Highest lift in North America? Conquered!! The bowls had amazing coverage and the tree runs were powder. Awesome day.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Oinker View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Oinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2013 at 5:23pm

Went to Breck today and made it up to Imperial lift for the first time. It was absolutely amazing since they have been getting so much snow. Highest lift in North America? Conquered!! The bowls had amazing coverage and the tree runs were powder. Awesome day.
Nicely Done!!! Isn't that view amazing?!?!? It was an awesome day in Summit County! Rode Keystone today & it was a blast. Found all the runs that the tourists were not riding & picked up all the lifts / gondolas at the mid mountain point. Made lots-o laps & hadfun,, Fun, FUN!!!
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2013 at 9:13am
How were the crowds/traffic?
Snow Day Colorado

mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2013 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Superorb

How were the crowds/traffic?

The crowds were pretty crazy on Saturday at Breckenridge, damn president's day weekend! Went to Keystone today and it was pretty fun too, but it was a LOT icy-er than Breck. A great weekend spent snowboarding...my legs are about to explode.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2013 at 8:05am
Holy cow, I moved here last year and people told me February is the snowy-est month in CO. They weren't kidding! So much snow in our forecast I'm so stoked!!! Big smile

I'm using this site: http://www.snowforecast.com/usa-forecasts/southwest-usa/colorado

I hope it's accurate.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2013 at 8:10am
We're going to Copper Thur-Sun so hopefully we get a ton of snow. My brother can barely link turns so he'll be by himself while the wife and I hunt for pow.
Snow Day Colorado

Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2013 at 8:36am
hopefully february ends with some snow.  The actual snowiest months are March and April, so the season has a lot of potential to resurrect itself.  Will fill the lakes for some summer wakeboarding and hopefully keep the fires to a minimum so I am hopeful!
x_X
Oinker View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Oinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2013 at 8:45am

hopefully february ends with some snow.  The actual snowiest months are March and April, so the season has a lot of potential to resurrect itself.  Will fill the lakes for some summer wakeboarding and hopefully keep the fires to a minimum so I am hopeful!

So true!!! We can not afford another summer with all of the fires as we had last year!!! I don't mean to be selfish & wish for more snow for our snowboard season alone. The entire state desperately needs a good snow season to avoid what we went through last summer. The fires were horrible along with hurting any of the sports / actives along the creeks, rivers and lakes. ....so, let it snow, Let It Snow, LET IT SNOW!!!

mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2013 at 7:25am
Cabin trip in the Silverthorne this weekend! Can't wait to go pow hunting! To all you guys coming up as well, be safe!
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2013 at 4:53pm

Cabin trip in the Silverthorne this weekend! Can't wait to go pow hunting! To all you guys coming up as well, be safe!

We're at Copper till Sunday, do you go to Copper?

It's DUMPING right now.
Snow Day Colorado

bdanross View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bdanross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2013 at 10:53am
im headed up to vail tomorrow. im so pumped i wish i could have been up there the entire weekend. finally some snow in colorado! how are the roads super? i heard its supposed to be 5 inches tonight 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 62>