LOOK BEFORE BUYING BURTON BINDINGS

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jdsimmons2 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jdsimmons2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LOOK BEFORE BUYING BURTON BINDINGS
    Posted: Apr/08/2008 at 3:47pm
Alright, so from the title you prolly think i hate Burton bindings.  That is absolutely NOT TRUE.
i love Burton bindings.  Its all i've ridden for a while.

but i'm just letting everyone know, that if you have a pair of bindings you love, and you just don't want to get rid of, but you have that dream board that happens to be a burton.  Your in luck.  You DONT have to buy burton bindings to fit on burton boards.  

Most companies will have some sort of adapter disk that you can use.    if not, call up Burton, tell them you need 2 disks, they'll hook you up, but you'll prolly need to pay a little for them, no biggy tho.  
2nd of all, if you get a ICS board, like an UnInc, X8, or Jeremy Jones from this year OR any ICS board from next year, the board comes with the 2 hole adaptor disk that will fit right into your bindings.

I know this because my friend took my old burton, and wanted to but his old bindings on it.  I was like just try my 3D disk, they'll fit just about any binding, and he's been rocking it since.

You DONT have to buy  Burton bindings for a Burton board.

BUT I RECOMMEND YOU DO, THEY ARE JUST SO MUCH BETTER IN MY OPINION
gsrrr View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
shred ze gnar

Quote gsrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2008 at 4:00pm
what kind of bindings does your friend have? ive read that the burton discs fit flux bindings perfectly (from taylor). almost all respectable binding company have 3d compatible discs.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Jdsimmons2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2008 at 4:06pm
he has a super old pair of morrows, that he used with it first then he got some ride(i think) bindings and they fit good too(he says).

Its cheaper to just steal your friends 3d disk if he isn't riding a burton.  cheaper than getting them from a company.    personally, i ride all burton now, and i ride the upper end burton bindings that come with 2 separate disks, but the mission and custom have the disk that is 3 hole and 4 hole compatable, those would be my recommendation to anyone.  cuz they don't have the padding on top so they fit smoother with all types.
but yeah,

and because my 3d disk fit his bindings, i'm pretty sure the 2 hole disk Burton adds with all ICS boards will fit any other binding. 

thats mostly what i wanted this thread to get at.   That you DONT have to have Burton EST bindings to ride a Burton ICS board
zagfan5 View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
whatever

Quote zagfan5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2008 at 5:43pm
burton board and bindings for me Thumbs%20Up
Camber Is The New Rocker.
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2008 at 5:45pm
I Rock all burton bindings and 2/3 boards are burton. 
www.chargeharder.com
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2008 at 6:45pm
burton bindings are definitely Thumbs%20Up in my book.
crispy5 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote crispy5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2008 at 8:46pm
Rome has a convert disc so that you can use your Rome bindings on both 3 hole and 4 hole boards.  You can usually get it for free by calling or emailing Rome.

If you have some other brand of bindings that you want to use on a Burton board, it doesn't hurt to contact the manufacturer to see if they have something similar.

No matter where you go, there you are.
T[a]YLOR View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote T[a]YLOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2008 at 9:02pm
flux and burton use the same size disk due to an agreement that they have. the agreement being:

burton can mount toe straps through the center of the plastic on either side of the toe ramp like flux patented
and
burton can mount ankle straps on the inside of the heelcup rather than the outside like most of bindings

both of these being flux's idea. so burton gave them the 3d plates as a trade, so i currently have flux super titans mounted on my est uninc.
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote myke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2008 at 9:06pm
holy crap?!?!?!?! UNIVERSAL BASEPLATES?!?!?!?!

OMG - such a REVOLUTIONARY IDEA...

I wish somebody would have thought of this 10 years ago!!!!!!!

oh, wait.

LOL
I'm here for the gangbang....
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote myke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2008 at 9:13pm
All saracasm aside, ust so you're aware....

Burton baseplates will NOT fit in all bindings.
Salomon and Drake are two brands off the top of my head that i know for a fact are not compatible with Burton baseplates. They have thier own universal discs that you can use.

Best bet - if you buy a non-burton binding that isn't 3d compatible, call the BINDING manufacturer, not burton.

Also - burton STRONGLY discourages anyone from using the ICS adapter on non-burton bindings. Some people might say this is a ploy to get you to buy burton - but really it has to do with the fact that each manufacturer does things a tiny bit different. Drake bindings for example have smaller teeth on the binding/disc interface then burton does (which is why burton baseplates don't work) - and salomon has a different size disc all together on some of thier bindings. Considering this is what holds you on the board, it's somethin you don't want to screw up. A bad fit, something breaks, something doesn't work right - and it could literally be your life.

kimchijajonshim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2008 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Sinixstar

All saracasm aside, ust so you're aware....

Burton baseplates will NOT fit in all bindings.
Salomon and Drake are two brands off the top of my head that i know for a fact are not compatible with Burton baseplates. They have thier own universal discs that you can use.

Best bet - if you buy a non-burton binding that isn't 3d compatible, call the BINDING manufacturer, not burton.

+1.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
gsrrr View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
shred ze gnar

Quote gsrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2008 at 9:31pm
burton discs also dont work with rome bindings.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Jdsimmons2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2008 at 11:07am
yeah, i was just getting this out there so people know that you DONT have to use burton bindings on burton boards, that you can get a different binding and get an adaptor baseplate
Broomcorn View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Broomcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2008 at 8:50pm
thanks burton for making something simple so difficult.  3D = dumb.
Give me snow to remedy my soul.
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2008 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by Broomcorn

thanks burton for making something simple so difficult.  3D = dumb.

Agreed.  ICS/EST at least has some tangible benefit, however subtle.  3D is just stupid, it limits stance options and flies against the face of industry standards with no apparent benefit, unless you are so lazy that messing with two extra screws is a herculean task or have some weird fixation with triangles.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
T[a]YLOR View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote T[a]YLOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2008 at 9:02pm
i dont mind 3d and it was burtons best was to ensure they would sell loads of bindings. it worked wonderfully.
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2008 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by TaYLOR

i dont mind 3d and it was burtons best was to ensure they would sell loads of bindings. it worked wonderfully.

No doubt from a business perspective.  It's pure genius.  Not only are people more inclined to  buy their bindings, because Burton has the dominant market share, other companies have to pay licensing fees to be 3-D compatible and remain viable.  But from a practical standpoint, I think it's completely inane.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote myke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2008 at 12:03pm

It has more to do with the effect it has on the structure of the board, and the flex pattern then marketing. When they put the 3D pattern in place, snowboarding still had a pretty sketchy future. Don't think anybody was thinking about things like market share and all of that.

I'm not sure if other companies have to pay liscence for it or not. I know burton tried to sue some people over the 3d thing a long time ago, and became the laughing stock of the industry over it. Thier patent is pretty weak, since other people had used the 3d pattern in the past. Burton was just the first to the patent office. Pretty sure all those lawsuits got tossed, which would mean people could tell burton to piss off if they didn't like it.

baconboy1042 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote baconboy1042 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2008 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by kimchijajonshim

Agreed.  ICS/EST at least has some tangible benefit, however subtle.  3D is just stupid, it limits stance options and flies against the face of industry standards with no apparent benefit, unless you are so lazy that messing with two extra screws is a herculean task or have some weird fixation with triangles.

dude, do u dont even kno what ur talkin about...the 3D gives you MORE stance options than a regular 4 hole board....check the link out http://snowboarding.about.com/cs/gearbindings/a/BindingInserts.htm
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2008 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by baconboy1042

dude, do u dont even kno what ur talkin about...the 3D gives you MORE stance options than a regular 4 hole board....check the link out http://snowboarding.about.com/cs/gearbindings/a/BindingInserts.htm

1. At no point in that article does it say that 3D gives you more stance options than 4x2.  It says 4x4 is limited, which is not the same thing; 4x4 is mostly limited to lower-end price point boards, especially since Palmer and Never Summer made the switch at the beginning of the 08 season.
  2. I'm not going to go through the trouble of crunching the numbers, but Rome has stated that 4x2 insert patterns with discs that can shift half an inch either way gives you most possible stance options (short of EST, of course).  Even if that's false, any benefit of 3D is more than offset by only being able to achieve those benefits with Burton binders and by the fact that mentally computing your stance width and setback is infinitely more intuitive with 4 hole inserts.
  3. About.com is useless (at least in regards to snowboarding).
ROLL ON, BISHES.
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2008 at 4:22pm
Kimchi your face is worthless.
www.chargeharder.com
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2008 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by BRUIZZA

Kimchi your face is worthless.

I'm sorry, I'm afraid I don't speak gimp Wink
ROLL ON, BISHES.
gsrrr View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
shred ze gnar

Quote gsrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2008 at 5:05pm
this is what another member said, which is found on rome binding boxes.

Originally posted by fondler

Also feel like throwing this out there.

On a 4x4 insert board there are 289 stance width Options with 3/16" increments. While boards that have the 3D pattern only have 16 stance width Options in 1" increments.

Also on a 4x4 deck there are 17 centered stance Options in 3/8" increments. 3D pattern boards only have 4 centered stance Option sin 2" increments.

I'd gladly take the tiny extra weight of the inserts for all those extra stance Options.

Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote baconboy1042 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2008 at 5:47pm

3.  About.com is useless (at least in regards to snowboarding)

that maybe true...but i think these ppl kno what theyre talkin bout. http://www.transworldsnowboarding.com/snow/article/0,26719,243103,00.html
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2008 at 6:24pm
Transworld ain't much better.  That press release / article / whatever is a joke.  Where the hell are you finding stuff from 2001 anyway?

"38 million stance options" is bullshat.  I think what gsrrr is saying is about right on, although it is slightly misleading because it only relates to center stances.  In general, I think it's safe to say that 4x2 gives you more stance options.  A slightly better argument for 3D is that that the triangular insert pattern allegedly allows for a more natural flex relationship between binding and board, although I think that's bull as well.

Methinks someone is a tad too susceptible to marketing.  You must be an ad executive's dream LOL
ROLL ON, BISHES.
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote baconboy1042 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2008 at 7:12pm
i was just tryin t get u riled up wit that last article lol, i knew they were j/k bout the 38 mil....alls im sayin is that the 3-d isnt as bad as ur all makin out t be.  someone should actually figure out how many stance options are on the 3d so we can settle this once and for all haha
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote baconboy1042 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2008 at 7:17pm
i just found this http://www.alpinecarving.com/3d.html so as far as the stance options go....the 4x2 is prolly ur best bet
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2008 at 7:20pm
Yea, I don't think 3D is BAD per se (definitely an improvement over 4x4), but in my opinion not worth giving up your options and being limited Burton binders.    I'm sure if someone were inclined to crunch the numbers and figure out how many options centered/set-back you are afforded by each system, but frankly I don't care nearly enough to go through the trouble haha.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
higiff View Drop Down
Local
Local
cab 3

Quote higiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2008 at 12:04am
the worst thing is though when you buy burton bindings, the 3D plates have padding on them and the 4x4 plates dont, not that this is a problem but burtons just being slack,

09 Signal Park rocker 152 (snapped + customer servcice = MCSHIT) 08 / 09 lib tech skate banana 52, rotten banana 56 08/09 cartels, sabboths..
sarpedonice View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Billions of bilious blue blistering barnacles!

Quote sarpedonice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2008 at 5:15am
Originally posted by higiff

the worst thing is though when you buy burton bindings, the 3D plates have padding on them and the 4x4 plates dont, not that this is a problem but burtons just being slack,

+1

Burton manages to piss its customers off with a piece of foam worths maybe 5 cents.
They must be stupid if they think I'll consider buying a Burton board because of that padding.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Jdsimmons2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2008 at 5:37am
if you want the padding on the 4 hole discs perform some foam surgery, peel the foam off the 3 hole and glue and recut the holes
JMichaels View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote JMichaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2008 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Jdsimmons2

if you want the padding on the 4 hole discs perform some foam surgery, peel the foam off the 3 hole and glue and recut the holes

I'm actually going to do this with my C02 that are on my banana. Although I absolutely know that padding on the disc does nothing other than make the bindings look complete.

That is totally a terribly lame thing that Burton does with their bindings, to not put the padding on the 4x4 disc.
free123 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote free123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 2:44am
Dont like Burton boards. Dont like burton bindings Smile
For the price you pay, there are better boards out there for sure.
Thought i'd add my 2 cents LOL
08/09 Season- 93 Days
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Jdsimmons2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 5:41am
everybody has there own opinions free.
i personally like burton gear, i've just had the best luck with it, but then again, i haven't tried everything out there either.
Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote Phatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 6:21am
Originally posted by free123

Personal prejudices aside, I agree with this statement. Even before I really started hating Burton, I noticed what people tell you is an equivalent to a Burton product in another brand is at least $50 cheaper.

For example compare the Rome Design($550) and the Burton Vapor($1000).

The Design is Lighter than the Vapor. The Design if nothing else has a "tech-ier" base if not a better base. The point I'm geting at isn't that the design is a better or worse board, but equivalent, yet almost half the price.

"But the vapor has more tech than the Design and thats what your paying for." Well if the vapor has more tech, then why isn't it lighter (as it was designed to be)?  Maybe more tech, but inferior tech?

Another thing that bothers me is how much has the tech in the Vapor changed since it was introduced? I am definitely not the expert here, but I don't think its changed much, and the price has gone up every year.

I AM NOT SAYING BURTON PRODUCT IS INFERIOR, just possibly a bit overpriced at times.
A thermos keeps hot stuff hot, and cold stuff cold.....BUT HOW DOES IT KNOW???
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 7:17am
I like Burton stuff, but it is overpriced for sure.  It's especially apparent in outerwear, but definitely in regards to hard goods as well.  But I can't begrudge them because it makes good business sense.  If people are willing to pay, why not?
ROLL ON, BISHES.
sarpedonice View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Billions of bilious blue blistering barnacles!

Quote sarpedonice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 7:37am
Originally posted by Phatman

Originally posted by free123

I AM NOT SAYING BURTON PRODUCT IS INFERIOR, just possibly a bit overpriced at times.

I believe Vapor's price is inflated to make it more attractive.
I'm not saying it's not hi-tech, but I do not believe it costs that much to produce a Vapor.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Jdsimmons2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 7:47am
yes, burton is a bit pricey when you can get the same quality of stuff  for a cheaper price.
but everybody likes brands for their own reason.  I like burotn because a resort melted my base and they replaced it with out any questions, they prolly shouldn't have cuz it wasn't burtons fault, but because of that they have my vote and i buy their boards, but i don't stick to just burton.

if you really want to know what is the best you have to try it all out.
Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote Phatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 8:14am

yes, burton is a bit pricey when you can get the same quality of stuff  for a cheaper price.
but everybody likes brands for their own reason.  I like burotn because a resort melted my base and they replaced it with out any questions, they prolly shouldn't have cuz it wasn't burtons fault, but because of that they have my vote and i buy their boards, but i don't stick to just burton.

Just out of curiosity how laong ago did this happen?
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 8:28am

Good heavens, that's a doozy of a run-on sentence.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Jdsimmons2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 11:12am
phatman, the base was melted december 15, 07, i sent it in that week and had a new board in about 3 weeks
but i snapped the nose on a rail, and didn't even try to get it replaced, cuz i knew it was 100% my fault.    when i sent the 1st board in, i wasn't sure what was wrong with it. the new board was how they fixed that.
Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote Phatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 11:41am
Thats cool man, I'm glad you had a good experience. I was just wondering because I had been hearing some not-so-good things lately about Burton customer service. 
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Jdsimmons2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2008 at 4:09am
yeah, it all depends on if you get a nice rep or mean rep on the other end of the line.
thats wat it all comes down to.
but all my experiences have been good.
shabzinca View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote shabzinca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2009 at 11:43am
FYI - If you call FLUX directly, they will ship you the ICS discs to fit Burton ICS boards for free.
'Beeber
ftpn911 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote ftpn911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2009 at 1:36pm
Romes Or Rides are the way to go
Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote Phatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2009 at 1:45pm
HOLY YEAR AND A HALF AGO PHATMAN!!!!!!!
Krazylegz1485 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Quote Krazylegz1485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2009 at 1:51pm
Holy dead thread revival.
http://thench.com/garage/
guest_103448 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote guest_103448 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2009 at 12:03pm
anyone know where i could get the right adaptor plates so i could put rome bindings on an est board?
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2009 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by guest_103448

anyone know where i could get the right adaptor plates so i could put rome bindings on an est board?

No such plate.  At least not yet.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
 Post Reply Post Reply