Buck hill and hyland are closed CryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCry
CryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCry
CryCry
Boogeyman24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2009 at 10:58am
yep went down the plunge.  we should have hit it early on in the day, by they time we went down all the pow was gone and it was pretty much all ice, which needless to say wasn't the best.  it's super steep for a while (if you look at the pic, it goes down and to the right) but then it levels out and you have to unstrap and push for a while.  I believe we ended up going on the return trail, so quite a bit of pushing in that one run haha.

conditions were great when we were there, but i dunno i think day 2 all the powder melted because it was so hot... probably would have preferred the shade on that afternoon.

i hope you'll be able to make it up curtis, but i suppose time is running out.  grab a friend and convince them to get up there for the 2 for 1 tickets, that was the most expensive part of the trip for us.

also, everyone you should try and buy your lift tickets in advance, we bought 2-day tickets there and it was like 280 for two 2-day tickets.  i know sales tax was over 10% up there (damn!) and i think they had some other stupid processing fees or something.
Say Shhhhhh...
klutzycurtis View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2009 at 11:20am
Originally posted by snowboardguy321

CryCry

really, is 31 crying faces really necessary?

lol, and yeah, we hit 3 entire pages! go midwest!

and no, for sure not going up north again this year, oh well, if I do go, it will be to afton or somewhere
Krazylegz1485 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2009 at 2:25pm
Boogs,

Where is the plunge at?  I wanted to hit it over Christmas but I could never find out where it was.  What "mountain" and what direction do you go to get to it?  According to a 10-day forecast from weather.com it's supposed to be somewhat chilly up there the next week, so hopefully that means minimal meltage going on.  There's also a few chances for some precip, and if it's cold enough, that means white stuff!  Woo woo.  I doubt it'll dump, but any little bit would be better than nothing. 

What kinda stuff did they have in their park when you were there?  I think I mentioned before, I've never gotten to ride it there because they never have Mystery open by Christmas.  Probably won't waste too much time in there even if it is setup, tho.  I gotta get my fix of riding in to last me all summer.  I plan on hitting pretty much every single run they have open still.  Just destroy the place.
http://thench.com/garage/
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2009 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by klutzycurtis

Originally posted by snowboardguy321

CryCry

really, is 31 crying faces really necessary?

lol, and yeah, we hit 3 entire pages! go midwest!

and no, for sure not going up north again this year, oh well, if I do go, it will be to afton or somewhere

There really should be one for each day that we can't ride during the summer.  From my rough calculations there's approximately 250 days between the closing date of Lutsen and the random opening dates of Wild Mt.  Therefore,

CryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCry

Bada bing bada boom.

Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2009 at 2:40pm

By the way, Damage Boardshop (from Duluth) puts on an event every year at Spirit.  They call it Damage Revisited.  It's basically a post season get together/hang out/rail jam that goes down in the park at Spirit.  Not sure how they keep the snow around that long, but either way they do.  And I think it'd be pretty sweet.  I've missed the last couple years, so I've never gotten to go myself, but I'm definitely gonna be there this year.  It's Saturday May 9th, something like 9 in the morning 'til whenever it's done. 

Again, I've never been there myself but it looks pretty damn fun.  You can see a few videos on youtube from the past couple years.  The guy from Damage said it's about $20-$25 to ride and they have a bunch of vendors out there with tents setup and they give away a bunch of stuff.  If anybody's thinking about going, let me know.  I'll either be in neon or a banana.  And it's gonna rock!
frigidowg View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Spring Break 2k9

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2009 at 9:23am

dude the collarbone should be good to go by may 9... i may come up for that

Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2009 at 6:30pm
eh, hope i'm not too late.  sorry i've been lazy about this

here is my awesome paint skills showing where the plunge is (for all those who care to know):

that's the backside of moose mountain, it's right near the middle chair and you go straight off the backside, and the trail wraps around.  you can go to the bottom of moose or take the return trail back (what we did).  it brings you to the bottom near the lift that goes up eagle mountain.

and no need to state i know you're all jealous of my ms paint skills.
Say Shhhhhh...
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2009 at 1:31am
I must admit total jealousy.  That's awesome.
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2009 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Boogeyman24

I must say, qutie professional in teh least Clap
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2009 at 7:18pm
thank you thank you.  i know i have some intense skills, maybe i should just quit school and become an artist...
Say Shhhhhh...
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2009 at 7:19pm
BUMP!

did a first post renovation for us, WHOOHOO!

more to come... but later, I am sleepy
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2009 at 6:27am
wow!  nice curtis.  good work mang!

edit:  again!!!  i like the title change and the map.  that's a lot of work curtis, gonna be a long offseason huh?

maybe with all these new updates we'll finally get a little action on the boards for all the midwestern riders!
Say Shhhhhh...
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2009 at 12:47pm
haha, yeah, been going at it, with a table for the mountains, thinking about doing that with the members too, along with making a chart for which mountains are the best.

I hope so too, I hope to have the map filled by next season!

edit: oh, and also, putting in a few more states, especially Illinois, perhaps Iowa, idk, what states do you guys think should be added to the list?

Just cause having every mountain in the midwest would piss nighthawk off

Nevermind, did them all
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2009 at 1:54pm
wow that's a great start... i was thinking maybe put up a link to liftsift.com where the midwest mountains are already sorted, but i don't know how you can put up a link when the data is already sorted, everytime i try to copy and paste it just does the homepage.  If you set the zip code to madison (53706) and limit the distance to about 400-500 it shoudl give you a general idea of everything that would be considered "midwest" (covers oh-mi-sd anyways).  Then from there i think it's neat to sort by vertical or acres, and shows you what's the biggest around.  you could also sort by other stuff too, and find out what mountains are closest ect.  I'm not sure how that would work for sure, maybe you might?

also i think there are a couple of resorts not listed on onthesnow.com... the only one i can think of right away is mount bohemia in mi
Say Shhhhhh...
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2009 at 5:02pm
Ok Boogey, got the Mount Bohemia link in there, just have it linked to the actual mountains conditions page. I also have the table set up so that it is easy to imput/change information, so if anybody finds incorrect/missing info, pm me or post it up here.

And then the liftsift.com...

I understand what you mean, you just can't preset it to cover a specific area, which sucks for our purposes. Where the problem is is that that site is simply displaying that program, which I can't get ahold of (easily), so it always resets when you visit the next time, unfortunatly. If we were to find a site like that, except not a program (like sierra, it filters as you choose options, and has a URL to show what it is doing) then we would be fine.

Other than that, NEXT!
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2009 at 5:14pm
so i'm getting really pumped for the season, even though nothing will open for quite a while.  i bought a first timers pass at spirit this year, you can't beat the price!  anyways, hoping to get up there a bunch of weekends and hopefully get more than one morning of pow in this year, we'll see how it goes.  anybody else plan on spending time at spirit this year?  krazy you still making the trip up there a lot?
Say Shhhhhh...
NickinChicago View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Halloween

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2009 at 5:21pm
Boogey where is spirit?
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2009 at 5:25pm
it's in duluth mn

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=spirit+mountain+mn&fb=1&gl=us&hq=spirit+mountain&hnear=mn&ei=_U3qSpKpEpDONeLsrZkN&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&resnum=4&ved=0CCgQtgMwAw

i'm living in minneapolis/st paul now and for $150 i couldn't resist.... it'll be about a 2 hour drive but it's no blackouts and they give you a free ticket to give to a friend as well.  my buddy lives there and has a pass as well so i have a place to stay.  figure it makes more sense even if i only go up a couple weekends than paying 40 bucks a time
Say Shhhhhh...
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2009 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Boogeyman24

so i'm getting really pumped for the season, even though nothing will open for quite a while.  i bought a first timers pass at spirit this year, you can't beat the price!  anyways, hoping to get up there a bunch of weekends and hopefully get more than one morning of pow in this year, we'll see how it goes.  anybody else plan on spending time at spirit this year?  krazy you still making the trip up there a lot?

Damn.  Brings the thread back from the dead.  And what better timing.  I actually missed out on buying my pass this year, or so I thought.  I was chatting with somebody online on Sunday (Nov. 1st) and they mentioned Spirit.  I shit myself.  Completely spaced the pass sale that ended on Halloween.  I was crushed.  Cruised over to the site as fast as I could.  Thank God they're horrible at updating the site on time because the ads were still running and the checkout process still gave me the sale price.  What a frickin' break!  I bought mine and the gf's passes at the same time.  Mine regular, her's a student pass.  My pass was like $198 after tax and her's was $130 or something like that.  Now the regular ones are $250+ and they don't offer the college passes anymore.  Seriously got lucky.

ANYWHO, we'll be making it up there as much as we possibly can.  Pretty much just depends on how much gas I can afford.  My buddy's coming home from MT for Christmas break so we're hoping to go a bunch then, too.  As far as you living in the cities, that's awesome.  We should rally sometime.  I'll be working at Zombie Boardshop in Burnsville and if everything works out I'll be doing a little park crew at Buck Hill as well.  And hopefully scoring a pass there.  It's not the biggest place in the world but I'll take it if it's free.  Plus, it's about a block from Zombie so I'd be able to ride everyday I have to work, too.

And finally, I've been watching Wild's site like a hawk waiting for them to announce a first day.  I'm sure they'll be the first ones to have a run or two open.  Just gotta hope for a few cold days.  Any interest on making first day?
kimchijajonshim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2009 at 3:06pm
I'm getting a student pass to Welch.  I considered the Spirit college pass too, but it's an hour further and I'd rather save the money for lift tickets when I head back west for break.  I'll probably hit it once or twice over the course of the year.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
powpowpirate View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
cheeky

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2009 at 3:08pm
I have a season pass to Devils Head (Merrimac, WI)... and I'm buying one for Mt.Bohemia on Dec. 5th =)

I live in Milwaukee Star
Tjdunklee View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2009 at 5:42am
A bunch of friends and I bought passes to Welch, but you'll see me at a bunch of different resorts throughout the year.  Also if you see a guy at the contests with a camera, be sure to say hi to me.  I'll be taking pictures for the website....  Let's cross our fingers for some cold weather.

www.rideminnesota.com
Your Minnesota Riding Community
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2009 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Tjdunklee

Also if you see a guy at the contests with a camera, be sure to say hi to me. 

Planning on being the only photographer there?  Or should I just say hi to everybody?

I filled out the contact form on the ride MN site in response to the contributing ad but never heard back from anybody.  I don't have a sweet SLR or anything but I still take a bunch of pics whenever we ride and when I go to different events.  Let me know if there's anything I can do.  It's sweet having an up-to-date local shred site.
Tjdunklee View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2009 at 5:40am
Originally posted by Krazylegz1485

Also if you see a guy at the contests with a camera, be sure to say hi to me. 

Planning on being the only photographer there?  Or should I just say hi to everybody?

I filled out the contact form on the ride MN site in response to the contributing ad but never heard back from anybody.  I don't have a sweet SLR or anything but I still take a bunch of pics whenever we ride and when I go to different events.  Let me know if there's anything I can do.  It's sweet having an up-to-date local shred site.

Sorry I guess I wasn't very clear!  I'll try and introduce myself next time we're in the same place.  Sorry about the contact form not working.  There was a little bug with the software for a while, but it's working great now.  Thanks for your interest in contributing.  It would be great to have your help writing some posts about events and even getting some pics.  Shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll get you setup.

www.rideminnesota.com
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2009 at 8:44pm
Tjdunklee - Pm'd.

Anybody been to Wild yet?
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2009 at 4:41am

Tjdunklee - Pm'd.

Wait, is there actually something open around here?
ROLL ON, BISHES.
frigidowg View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Spring Break 2k9

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2009 at 5:29am
hoping crap is open in the midwest shortly after i get back in just over a week... we will have to shred sometime this year krazy, with less broken bones, are you going back to spirit for spring break?
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2009 at 9:38am
Originally posted by kimchijajonshim

Tjdunklee - Pm'd.

Wait, is there actually something open around here?

Word up!  Czech out http://wildmountain.com/skisb/skisb_home.html .  It's Wild Mt, just over an hour North of the cities.  They're usually the first ones open by quite a bit.  They're also the ones I told you about when we met for lunch.  They made snow like 3-4 weeks ago during that random cold snap and then had to stop because it warmed up.

Anywho, they have 1-2 runs right now.  Discounted rates up until they're fully open.  Obviously you can only do so much on 1 run but it'd still be fun to get out and get back at it.  As of right now it's $16 for lift but it's gonna go up tomorrow.  Adding a few more runs and whatnot this weekend I guess.  If you're interested in just getting out let me know.
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2009 at 9:41am
Originally posted by frigidowg

hoping crap is open in the midwest shortly after i get back in just over a week... we will have to shred sometime this year krazy, with less broken bones, are you going back to spirit for spring break?

I've got a pass to Spirit again this year, so I'll be there basically as much I can afford to drive.  As far as spring break, are you talking about the luau?  Wouldn't miss it for anything.  Last year was pretty sweet.  Seems like very few people get into it and dress up.  I think we had 5 people in my group all decked out in neon.  T'was a grand time.
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2009 at 12:47pm
Krazy and I got our first day in at Wild Mountain on Thursday.  They had one run open and it was one of, if not the, shortest runs I've ever done, but I still had a blast.  Thankfully it wasn't that flat, just short.  I'll be going back on Monday when they should have more stuff open.  STOKED!
ROLL ON, BISHES.
Tjdunklee View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2009 at 6:21am

Krazy and I got our first day in at Wild Mountain on Thursday.  They had one run open and it was one of, if not the, shortest runs I've ever done, but I still had a blast.  Thankfully it wasn't that flat, just short.  I'll be going back on Monday when they should have more stuff open.  STOKED!

Glad you got out guys!  We went up to Wild yesterday again to check out the snowboard demo.  It was sick to try out a ton of different boards in one day.  Hopefully it will get cold enough for other places to open soon.  It looks like Wild will be closed for this week...  It was getting sketchy at the end of the day yesterday.

www.rideminnesota.com
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2009 at 6:54am

Glad you got out guys!  We went up to Wild yesterday again to check out the snowboard demo.  It was sick to try out a ton of different boards in one day.  Hopefully it will get cold enough for other places to open soon.  It looks like Wild will be closed for this week...  It was getting sketchy at the end of the day yesterday.

Dammit, was planning on heading up today or tomorrow.  Website says they'll open up again Friday morning.  Guess I'm looking forward to the weekend.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2009 at 9:18am
Yeah I noticed that, too.  You know 2 days of rain is gonna help out a ton.  At least it's supposed to get cold enough for some natural white by Wednesday night, early Thursday, tho.  Probably not gonna be around long, tho.  It's crazy thinking that it's gonna be in the 40's the weekend before December.  Madness, I tell ya.
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2009 at 7:03pm
Spirit opens on Friday!  Anybody gonna try to make it up/over/down for opening weekend?  The woman and I are trying to get something going.  Would probably rally with a girlfriend of ours and rock it out on Sunday.  Fingers crossed we'll be shredding some gnar this weekend.  I'm sure they'll only have a run or two open, but shred is shred.

Anybody else?
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2009 at 7:08pm
Just checked the weather for the weekend.  According to what I've just seen, it's looking like a pretty good setup for the weekend.  Cold with a chance of flurries the next 4 days.  Woot woot!

chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2009 at 7:17pm
michigan needs some snow, bad!!!!
craigalicious View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2009 at 6:27am
Afton opened today!  Trollhaugen has been open since monday!

chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2009 at 6:38am
were finally getting some today, and I guess the rest of the week!
KyleGT View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
My SV650S

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2009 at 1:55pm
Looks like Devils Head and Cascade Mountain are planning on opening this weekend.
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2009 at 6:31pm
Anybody checked out Welch yet this season?  I think they might've only been open a few days so far but it seems by looking at their website that they have a decent number of runs open.  Guessing they went with a little more realistic approach like making a bunch of snow and waiting to open until they have a reasonable amount of runs open. 

Anywho, my gf and I have some free tickets courtesy of the Warren Miller movie premiere and I'm pretty sure we're rolling out there Wednesday night.  If anybody else is going let me know, maybe we can meet up (Kimchi?).  If not, I'll try to give a quick rundown on what they've got going so far and how it was.

Also, we're hoping to hit Spirit next weekend, probably on Sunday.  I know they only have one run and limited hours as of now, but I'm hoping with some cold weather and with a miracle, some natural snow, that they'll have a little more open by then. 

It feels kinda weird that it's finally time to go outside and play.  That warm November almost killed the mood for me.  Just sitting inside day in and day out, watching it rain.  Oh well.  Time to get psyched up again and hit it with some fury. 
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2009 at 6:37pm

Anybody checked out Welch yet this season?  I think they might've only been open a few days so far but it seems by looking at their website that they have a decent number of runs open.  Guessing they went with a little more realistic approach like making a bunch of snow and waiting to open until they have a reasonable amount of runs open. 

Anywho, my gf and I have some free tickets courtesy of the Warren Miller movie premiere and I'm pretty sure we're rolling out there Wednesday night.  If anybody else is going let me know, maybe we can meet up (Kimchi?).  If not, I'll try to give a quick rundown on what they've got going so far and how it was.

Also, we're hoping to hit Spirit next weekend, probably on Sunday.  I know they only have one run and limited hours as of now, but I'm hoping with some cold weather and with a miracle, some natural snow, that they'll have a little more open by then. 

It feels kinda weird that it's finally time to go outside and play.  That warm November almost killed the mood for me.  Just sitting inside day in and day out, watching it rain.  Oh well.  Time to get psyched up again and hit it with some fury. 

Shoot me a text when you plan on going.  Finals start next week, but I have a little bit of a lull and I think I MIGHT try to hit Welch either next Friday or Saturday.  Or I might just hunker down and wait until I get back in January.  I'll let you know.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2009 at 6:43pm
Shwang dang.  Sounds good.  I'm almost positive we'll go Wednesday.  She's off work that day so that's a big part.  Also, those free passes from Warren Miller are only good 'til 12/24 and we're leaving town on the 18th for a week or more.  Wouldn't do us any good to hang on to them.  Kinda sucks, but that's what we're working with.  Oh well.  Snow is snow.
Tjdunklee View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2009 at 7:48am
I went out to Welch yesterday to ride for a while.  They only had 2 runs open but there are piles of snow everywhere.  I have a feeling they will smooth out those piles of snow and have quite a bit more terrain open very quickly.  They had 1 box and a couple rails set out that were pretty fun.  Plus, there were some fun spots on the Lookout run to throw some small airs.  I'll let you guys know if I can make it Wednesday night.

www.rideminnesota.com
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2009 at 8:19am
i just read that our area can expect 8-11 inches over the course wednesday.

Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2009 at 8:38am
@ Tjdunklee - Either I'm retarded and misread their website, or they just don't have it laid out very clear at all.  Looking at the website now I'm rescinding my previous statement about how they're waiting to open a bunch at one time.  I must've misread the days or something, because almost all of their runs say: "Open Thu - Sun, Day Only" .  I interpreted it to say that they had all of those runs open, but only during the day.  Which it basically says, but for some reason was thinking it was all week?  Not sure.  Then I was wondering how they'd have all of those runs open during the day when their current hours are only 4-9 pm.  Whatever, I clearly sucked at reading and making sense of it.  I'm gonna play the "it was late, I was tired" card with this one.

However, like I said before, we'll be there Wednesday night.  I'll just have to deal with what they've got open so far.  I mean, it's a free lift ticket.

@ Craig - For some reason I think I've "heard" that as well.  I think it was on the RideMN site earlier today.  I checked the 10-day forecast on weather.com last night and I swear it just said slight chance/flurries for those days.  And another maybe for Sunday as well.  Obviously I'm not gonna have a problem with it if it actually shows up, but I'm a believe-it-when-I-see-it kinda guy.  Oh well.  I'll be crossing my fingers until then.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2009 at 6:22am

Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2009 at 8:53pm

KyleGT View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
My SV650S

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2009 at 9:36pm
Big smile
slantgotsole View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2009 at 9:48pm
im up in NW chicagoland. got SLAMMED with about 6 inches today. i was out shreddin from 4 until like... 15 minutes ago. good day
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>