Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jimbo View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Special
    Posted: Oct/23/2006 at 7:01pm
Video Soon To Come
Aaron Says: The Salomon Special is so super special. Salomon has considered all of the most fun things to do on a snowboard, thought about it over coffee and a bagel, and then designed a snowboard that has no terrain loyalty. Good for any possible condition and bound to make you a better snowboarder, the Salomon Special will make you feel special.

Brandon Says: In 2007 it's all about the confidence boost. So when Salomon decided to release the Special, all I had to ask myself is if it came with its own bus too?

Item #: 786040
Retail:  $479.95

View All Salomon Snowboards
Read more Salomon Reviews

Post your own reviews
You were born an original, don't die a copy

Follow me to the Snowboard Review Mecca
Gnarcissist View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2006 at 2:33pm

To Whom It May Concern:

I finally got a chance to put my Salomon Special through the paces yesterday.....Long story short: It's the best snowboard I've ever ridden, hands down. Not saying its the best board out there, but of all the boards I've ridden in my 10 years of riding, it is.

Super Pop. I was impressed at how much pop this board offered, especially at medium speeds. Just super lofty, knees in your chest kinda pop, that for me, has be very elusive in other boards I've ridden. Max return on effort.....

Speed. As fast AND stable as anything I've rode in the past. And did this in the variable conditions (perfect corduroy to afternoon chop). I did on several occasions, just point it and did no turns.....Just a nice caddilac ride at terminal velocity.

Turning/Carves: This is what impressed me the most. I felt nothing but confidence as I layed into my turns....It tracked really nicely, especially at speed. This board begs to be ridden and CARVED at high speed.

Park: I got this board for free ride, but that didn't stop me from taking a few laps in the park. I 50-50ed a 20 foot straight bar with no problems and did a few front boards on small boxes, again with no issues. Wouldn't be my first choice in the park,  but if I am feeling too lazy to ride down the rig and switch out, at least I know the special will get me by.

The only real trait that I would consider negative is that it felt kinda hooky in the contact points in the nose and tail. And thats after my usual detune.

Just thought I'd share my findings because quite frankly, I've never been so stoked on a snowboard as I am with the Special.

YAY!!!
" Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others." - Sir Winston Churchill
SpecialRider View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2006 at 6:42pm

I just picked up the new Salomon Special 159, based on a couple of things in no particular order.

One, boards these days look so over 'Miami-Inked', I mean, I dig some cool graphics, a little cartoon action here and there, but honestly, when you buy a snowboard once every 5yrs (like us average joes do) it needs to offer visual adaptability. The special did that for me with its classy and clean pearl inlayed look and moderate decal work.

Two, the thing is f*@%ing light.

Three, I wanted a board that I could take to the ontario hard pack crap hills where I live all year, but still kick ass when I go to the real mountains a few weekends a season. The versatility this thing apparently offers was huge for me.

Question for the two posts before me, or other Special owners/testers: Does a ducked out (25front,15back) size 11 have a problem on this relatively narrow deck?

I havent set it up with my Cartels yet, but im curious if anyone can speak to this.

Cheers and happy riding.
Wishing I were Riding...
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2006 at 8:40am
I ride the 163 and have a size 13 boot. The '63 is 25.3 in the waist, so what I've done is set my stance @ 24" 15/front -9/rear. It's perfect. I feel no need to manipulate my stance in any way.  In the pic below, you can clearly see that I've got some toe/heel hang'in, but I never have drag issus....ever.

So have no fear and enjoy what in my opinion, is one of the best snowboards on the market today.

By the way, I am rocking P1's.......similar flex patterns as the cartel.
" Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others." - Sir Winston Churchill
davidmullane View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2007 at 4:48pm
I want it, I want it!!!!!!!!!
ID# 1062<br /><br />Board: Salamon Special 159!!<br />Boots: DC Judge<br />Bindings: Cartels - Kelly Green<br />Outwear: Section<br />Best Place Boarded: Japan<br /><br />Stance: +15/-6 <br /><br />
kimchijajonshim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2007 at 7:50pm
So the regulars have probably seen me salivating over this thing for a while.  I order it the moment 50% off hit, picked it up from Sierra last night, and finally got to take it out today at Rose.

First things first, the Special is FAST.  Not boarder cross fast, but I strapped in and immediately I could tell that it wanted to be let loose; it reminded me a lot of the Palmer boards I demoed.  This was on factory wax too, I basically tore off the shrink wrap, threw on my bindings and took it to the hill.  I don't know that it's necessarily the fastest board I've ever ridden (that'd probably be the T6), but when you strap this thing to your feet, you can just feel it champing at the bit to rip down the mountain (whereas the T6 kind of took me by surprise).  It was actually a little unsettling today, since it was mondo icy at Mt. Rose and I didn't have a helmet.  So unfortunately, I didn't get to fully indulge its need for speed.  I'll update on that when I get the chance.

The ERA technology seems to work just as well as it did on the Benedek I demoed a few weeks ago.  The board stiffened up when I took it to speed, yet at slower speeds it was  soft enough that I could tail press without a great deal of trouble and easily maneuver.  It's a great board for someone like me, since it's fairly aggressive (which I am most days), but not so much so that it's all business all the time.  You can definitely still play around with it a bit.

It held a great edge at medium-high speed (again, I didn't ramp it up much today).  The only times the edge washed out on me was when I failed to scout my line ahead of time and adjust to the terrain properly, and when I freaked out because I suddenly hit a patch of ice.  Very very competent freeride stick, certainly at least a good a ride as my Decade so far (and thanks to ERA, it's easier to flex too).  However, I wouldn't really consider using it as a pure high end freeride stick... it wasn't quite as damp as I'd hoped (though that might have just been the ice).

In the park, the pop was great (like basegrinder said, "Maximum return on effort") and I liked it off jumps.  Purely in the park I'd rather ride my Axum since it's more forgiving and playful, but the Special certainly held its own.  Unfortunately I'm just getting into park (ollieing into straight airs off kickers, occasional grabs, no jibs), so I can't comment that heavily on this.

It was on natural terrain features that the board impressed me the most... charging rollers and little mini-kickers on the groomers (Rose has a lot of these) was a blast.  The Special gives me great pop off a roller, is just forgiving enough for a comfortable landing, and is aggressive and fast enough to just go and charge the next one.  While I prefer the Axum off the man-made stuff, as far as all-mountain freestyle I think the Special is the clear choice.

I didn't notice any of the "hookiness" that Basegrinder mentioned in his review... though I don't typically detune my boards, so I may not know exactly what he's talking about.  The only time I've ever REALLY noticed serious drifting and hookiness was was with Brody's 162 Finch, and that might have had to do with the fact that the board was a bit too big for me.

Anyway I'm holding off on the final word until I get a chance to bring it up to bomber speed, but based on my initial impressions, I think it's definitely my go-to stick.  So far it's been at least as solid as my Decade freeriding and it seems versatile enough for anything on the mountain.  Compared to the  famed Custom... more aggressive, less park-oriented (definitely not as jib friendly in flex and construction), and cheaper.  I'd<
ROLL ON, BISHES.
snowman View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2007 at 11:22am
hey everyone, i'm just starting to snowboard and i was wondering if Salomon special would be a good board for me? what about Prospect?

any help will be appreciated!!Smile
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2007 at 3:17pm
^^
I think it'd be a little much for you.  On other boards I've been able to link turns switch down greens, but the Special just kicks my ass... definitely not an ideal beginner board.

Anyway, further review... yesterday I took it out again for what's very possibly the last day of my season.  First hour and a half was icy, but thankfully not so much so that it was difficult to hold an edge to if you knew what you were doing.  It was a good test for edge hold and the Special definitely kicked ass.  I never once lost an edge even booking it down a run (Lower Main at Sierra) that was pretty much ice top to bottom.

I've been on a board that is supposed to have extraordinary, one-of-best-on-the-market pop in the Salomon Benedek and I think the Special is comparable, though not quite on the same level.  But you still get great loft and everything you give up in pop, you gain in versatility.  I don't know if it's the board's ERA spine or something else about the construction, but it's lofty and playful when you want it to be, and it's a beast booking it down the mountain.  It holds a great edge, even on ice (again, far superior to my old Decade, which was freeride-centric).  I am certainly a big believer in ERA technology now.

Few minor drawbacks, though.  First, I noticed it's considerably more difficult to ride switch than my Ride Decade, my Atomic Axum, and the Burton Custom I demoed.  However, I don't know if that's necessarily a fair assessment since both times I've been on the Special snow conditions were far worse than when I rode those boards switch and yesterday I set my bindings to the most responsive setting for the first time ever.  I'll need to reserve final judgment on that until I get more days on it.

Second, it's not QUITE as damp as I'd like.  On the ice it held its edge like a dream and in the slush it performed admirably, but when the snow got sticky and heavy towards the middle of the day, I could definitely feel the crud.  Again, still need to see how it performs in proper conditions with at least SOME real snow.

Finally, my foot went numb once on the lift (it's supposedly a heavier board), but that was when mechanical troubles forced me to sit there with the Special hanging off my foot for at least half an hour... never once noticed it while I was on the mountain.

In all, I think it's an exceptional board and would certainly make the same decision if I had to pick all over again.  Anyone looking for a solid, versatile board, the Salomon Special beckons.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
The Chez View Drop Down
Local
Local
Graffiti in Barçelona

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2007 at 6:59am
Well, I've been riding my ERA for a few years now(4th season I think) and picked up 2 Specials this year(what can I say, I live where Salomon is based). I can't wait to ride it. If it's anything like my old ERA was in the first season, it's gonna be fun. I can imagine Salomon has added some new stuff to the ERA technology as well since the first version.
nucks View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2007 at 5:16pm
Mine just came in 159 (green) mmmmm... yummy!
I have to wait so long for next season though Confused

shop_28860 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2008 at 4:37pm
Just got my 2008 159cm Special and Burton Cartels from Sierra today.  Can't wait to get up to Tahoe and put them to the test.  I'll make sure to post a review as soon as I get back.  
Snod

Salomon Special 159cm
Burton Cartels
Burton Rulers
davidmullane View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2008 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by shop_28860

Just got my 2008 159cm Special and Burton Cartels from Sierra today.  Can't wait to get up to Tahoe and put them to the test.  I'll make sure to post a review as soon as I get back.  

Ive got the 07 of that set up. tell me how it goes.
ID# 1062<br /><br />Board: Salamon Special 159!!<br />Boots: DC Judge<br />Bindings: Cartels - Kelly Green<br />Outwear: Section<br />Best Place Boarded: Japan<br /><br />Stance: +15/-6 <br /><br />
livelyjay View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2008 at 5:07am
I'll be keeping my eye on this thread because the reviews have peaked my interest in this board.  I'm looking for a good all-mountain board that's playful in the park and this sounds right up my ally.
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2008 at 6:07am
Not the best board for you, the Special is relatively aggressive.  Rather stiff longitudinally, though not that much torsionally.  I'd take a look at the prospect instead.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2008 at 7:39am
Originally posted by livelyjay

I'll be keeping my eye on this thread because the reviews have peaked my interest in this board.  I'm looking for a good all-mountain board that's playful in the park and this sounds right up my ally.

I think you'd make a good choice with the special for all resort/groomer/park board. My advice is if you want it to be a bit more park specific is to downsize from you normal free-ride size and center your stance. Now you have stiffness to bomb, yet lots of pop and playfulness for jumps/hips and straight boxes and rails. And a centered stance make all the freestyle stuff alot easier.

The only thing the Special came up short for me on what boxes and rails w/kinks. It's a bit stiff to flex through and stay "locked on."

Good luck!
dustinsyork View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2008 at 4:15pm
Is the patrol really just the wide version of the special or is it stiffer and less poppy due to the extra width?
10' Never Summer Revolver-R, 10' Union Data POW
 Post Reply Post Reply