Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mac vs PC computers
    Posted: Nov/11/2008 at 2:16pm
i personal like the mac better
shop_62851 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2008 at 2:25pm
  I use my mac for my studio work and my pc for everything else.
Civicforever View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
mx5

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2008 at 2:27pm
Was never a Mac person...probably because I've used Windows since 3.1. Not exactly liking how they've been semi closed source over the years
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2008 at 2:29pm
Get a Mac, then you can run Leopard and Vista or XP.
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
Dunk View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2008 at 2:34pm
Mac is nice I would not go back to windows, you do pay a "mac tax" but I think its worth it.
Day Riding: 15
burtonsnow8 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2008 at 2:39pm
You asked the wrong person.....its my job to know these things, so its time for a lengthy response.

Mac OS vs Vista....I would have to go with Mac all the way.  Vista tried to copy mac and did it very horribly.  The users don't give a shtook about see through windows, they want to be able to open a folder and not have to be asked if they are sure they wanted that folder open.  They took out a lot of the functionality a power user such as myself would use and put them into "easier to use" graphical interfaces.  Overall Vista has failed horribly at making an impression on me.

Mac OS vs XP.....XP destoys Mac.  Macintosh are good for three things, music production, video production, and graphical design (and albeit, at a very minor increase in performance, mainly due to Macs operating system not being as hard working on the processor).  Beyond that their values dwindle.  I hate having each folder open up a new window.  If I wanted that folder open still I would start viewing my local drives in firefox so i can open multiple tabs.  At times it has its uses, but for me I generally know where i'm going and it bugs the shat out of me having to close 5 windows once i've reached my destination.

Now, a lot of my hate towards mac is in its single click.  I feel so lost without my right click (and i understand you just hold down the click, but damn that gets annoying). I do like the object bar at the bottom of the screen, but even that can get annoying at times (plus objectdock does the same thing for PC).

I agree that Macs are less vulnerable to attacks, but thats only because there are about 1 macs for every 100 pcs....its gets those damn nerds wet knowing they infected 100 computers instead of just 1.

As for internals, a lot of people haven't grasped the concept that inside the machine, both mac and pc are the same exact thing (well with minor variences, but thats just with every computer).  Its stupid that mac can charge twice as much for the same compenents in a PC (now Macs run on much less ram, so they will seem faster), but in the end, if you don't take care of your computer with regular clean ups, your mac will end up slow as shat too.

That being said, mac is just the hype that everyone feels like spending the extra buck on.  For me personally, i get everything I want in a PC (unlimited gaming, just as good video, music, and graphics design, and very little platform restrictions) for much less money.  Sure if i wanted to be super cool and hip i'd buy a Mac, but I'm passed that shat, i'm not in high school no more.  Anyways, theres my lenghty mostly useless response.

For two responses ago,  That can work both ways!!!!

There are multiple softwares that allow you to have a Virtual Machine.  What this means is that you partition your hard drive into two seperate portions, one containing the Mac, one containing the PC.  This allows you to switch back and forth between Mac OS and Windows.  Now technically you can do this without a Virtual Machine software, but that limits you in the fact that you can't have both running at the same time, where a virtual machine does have both running and accesible.

On another note, Linux is probably the best of both.  Its free, runs very efficiently, doesn't have many security flaws, and allows for unlimited configurability.  I like Ubuntu for my linux platform.  Also, WINE allows you to run multiple windows programs, which is great if you don't feel like loading windows to open something up.
BackCountry808 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2008 at 2:40pm
Longtime PC user now switched to MAC for the digital media usability and love it!

It helps my buddy gives me all the programs I use for free since a cd key/serial # isn't needed for installation.
zagfan5 View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
whatever

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2008 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by burtonsnow8

Now, a lot of my hate towards mac is in its single click.  I feel so lost without my right click (and i understand you just hold down the click, but damn that gets annoying). I do like the object bar at the bottom of the screen, but even that can get annoying at times (plus objectdock does the same thing for PC).

its nice cause on my macbook i just put 2 fingers on the touch pad, then click. its actually faster than my moms pc laptop that has a right click. also you can hook up an external mouse and the right click works fine with it.
Camber Is The New Rocker.
amylynn86 View Drop Down
Local
Local
aka SoCal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2008 at 3:00pm
just switched to a Mac & have been using PC's my whole life. There are pluses & minuses on both sides. I like the style of macs better but there are some functionality things about PCs that i like better (mainly because its what i'm used to). but i think once i get completely used to my mac (which i pretty much have) then there will be no diff for me.
Boards: 152 Palmer Liberty Carbon, 147 Barrett Christy Gnu <br />Bindings: Burton Escapades <br />Boots: 32 Prions <br /> <br />Fa Kin Su Pah
taiguy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
no insta-death

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2008 at 3:02pm

Now, a lot of my hate towards mac is in its single click.  I feel so lost without my right click (and i understand you just hold down the click, but damn that gets annoying).

yo. just plug a two button mouse into a mac. fixed.

I've seen the Mac, and really haven't found an truly convincing argument for me to switch over. I use Vista and haven't had experienced any of the gripes that usually come from the internet fodder. It runs plenty fast for me and it's more stable than XP. I used XP before Vista and didn't have any issues there either. Hell, before that it was Win2k, Win98, Win95, Win3.11, and Win 3.1. I can't really blame MS for the blue screens often associated with Win 95/98 - 95% of the time it was due to poor 3rd party drivers (putting it out of kernel mode was one of the smartest things they did later on).

Maybe I've just been using the OS long enough to where I've gotten used to the quirks, but I can't see how someone can legitimately say the Mac is a better multimedia platform. My guess is it's 99% hype and image. Guy in a coffee shop with a mac, must be a writer.
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2008 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by zagfan5

its nice cause on my macbook i just put 2 fingers on the touch pad, then click. its actually faster than my moms pc laptop that has a right click. also you can hook up an external mouse and the right click works fine with it.

thats true....i just think its stupid that they don't come from mac with a right click button.

I'd have to say that for the average user, its more what you are use to than one being better than the other.  And, for the average user there is going to be VERY LITTLE besides functionality that differs.  The average user should spend on money, not what looks better.
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2008 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by taiguy

Maybe I've just been using the OS long enough to where I've gotten used to the quirks, but I can't see how someone can legitimately say the Mac is a better multimedia platform. My guess is it's 99% hype and image. Guy in a coffee shop with a mac, must be a writer.

Dunno if you watch family guy, but there is an episode with two guys on macbooks in a coffee shop saying that exact same thing.  thanks for the LOL.

All i can say for those looking into computers, all the hype is NOT worth the extra $1000 for the exact same machine.  Unless you are going into graphic design, video editing, or music producing, find something that is priced appropriately and will get the job done....and if you need help with that its my damn job, so feel free to ask :)
zagfan5 View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
whatever

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2008 at 3:07pm
^^that was a funny little bit i thought haha
percept View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2008 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Civicforever

Was never a Mac person...probably because I've used Windows since 3.1. Not exactly liking how they've been semi closed source over the years

windows 95 came out when you were 6.  windows 3.1 was standard when you were 3-5 years old.  you must have been quite the child computer prodigy.
zagfan5 View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
whatever

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2008 at 3:13pm
yeah civic, i'm the same way. always had PC's in the house growing up. what really turned me onto macs, was when our school got some class room sets of powerbooks, that teachers would check out, so we wouldnt hve to go to the computer lab. we could just use the laptops in the classroom. but just messing around with them and seeing how fun and simplier they are i decided to get a mac for college since i was gonna have to get a laptop anyways. 
K8sgotgame View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2008 at 3:48pm
I like PCs because I can't afford a Mac Embarrassed
overkill127 View Drop Down
Local
Local
thank you come again

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2008 at 3:51pm
i built my pc, with help from my cousin. one of the things i like the most is how easy it is to upgrade. i just pop open the case, change/add whatever i need to, and then turn the computer back on. i dont know if you can do this with a mac, so im reluctant to get one. plus they cost  small fortune to me, seeing as im a high school student.
Steezimax
CraigD View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2008 at 4:22pm
Macbook for me

My PC was better for things like crashing or freezing though.

www.incaseyouhaventheard.com
zagfan5 View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
whatever

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2008 at 4:25pm
^^hahaha feel ya on that craig
Wizard1990 View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2008 at 5:49pm
PC is always better than a mac and macs just suck. mac doesn't even deserve a capital M.

I dont need to give reasons for why macs suck, just accept it.
I only snowboard because its cool.
shop_45296 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2008 at 6:08pm
if it were on any other topic wizard, i'd say that you just made a pointless argument.  macs suck
Broomcorn View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2008 at 6:27pm
macs are a sexy machine for sure, but PC's are the powerhouse that runs the world.  I am pretty over the look of macs too, it was cool at first, but they are ALL the fukcing same!  How many years do we need of the aluminum case with a centered apple before we get tired of it?  It's a fashion fad right now that will eventually die out unless apple changes something. Part of the attraction of apple was that when you bought a mac, you felt a part of a "special community", but now every new freshmen in college has a shiny new mac.
OS wise i use both OSX and XP/Vista, not a problem there, though i prefer XP.  I'm glad apple is around though, it gives windows competition and that is a win for consumers.
Also, Steve Jobs needs to get his shat together and listen to customers on what they want in computers and interfaces.  No firewire in the new MBP?  WTF!
Give me snow to remedy my soul.
NickinChicago View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Halloween

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2008 at 6:42pm
I us a pc and really wouldn't ever use a mac. I don't really like the cult type following that macs have and how mac people always bash pc's and microsoft. I kind of hate that crap. Sorry guys no offense.
ste_funny View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2008 at 7:53pm
mac.  i just like it better, and I find nothing wrong with pc's.  I used a pc since I was 10, then switched over to a Mac starting college, and I just liked it a lot more.  
sambo2476 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2008 at 2:21am
Im going to get another pc for my next laptop, it does everything i need and i dont pay the 'mac tax'
tendafoot94 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
dirty

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2008 at 2:23am
mac tax?
if two rappers are vegetarian can they still have beef?
sambo2476 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2008 at 2:25am
You pay more for exactly the same thing as a mac compared to a pc hence the 'mac tax'. Stole it from Dunk above
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2008 at 2:27am
i dont like how macs are set up.  at least the operating systems, whatever the hell those are.  ive used my friends macs and the whole time, im trying to do normal stuff and im like "why the hell is this here?  where is this thing that i need?  what the hell, how do i do this?"  super annoying.

but if the computers themselves are better, then id be all for getting a mac and running windows.
sambo2476 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2008 at 2:29am
there isnt anything diff other than macs arent quite as demanding on the system
dlaw View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2008 at 2:32am

All three platforms: Windows, Mac, and Linux all have their strong and weak points.  Like someone said Macs accel in the music, audio, graphic areas.  Windows can do just about everything ( it can be debated how well it does certain things).  Linux is open source and free with probably the best security features.  It all comes down to preference like the whole one click vs. two click or the technicality of Linux.  I primarily use Ubuntu and XP.
The English Butler View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2008 at 2:56am
Ahh, another thread revival from last year, if you want  my opinions on the subject check out last year's thread LOL
More Tea Lord Douglas?
sambo2476 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2008 at 2:59am
but this way we can all be postwhores and rack up more points haha

Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2008 at 7:37am
Originally posted by sambo2476

You pay more for exactly the same thing as a mac compared to a pc hence the 'mac tax'. Stole it from Dunk above

This is exactly what i was saying as well.  If you look at the computer specs of a mac, they are the exact same thing as most other computers.  Motherboards, Graphics processing unit, processor, and hard drive.  You are just paying $1000 more because it has that half eaten apple on the front. 

I've actually looked at a Mac Book, it had a similar mother board, similar gpu, same processor, and similar hard drive.  It cost over $1500 MORE than the same latptop that I have.  It didn't come with anything special and yet it was over $2000 dollars.  Now I got my laptop for a steal at $900 (it should have been $1400), but still thats a $1000 dollar increase for the same components.  Hence the Mac Tax.

Dunk View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2008 at 8:16am
Another way to look at the "mac tax" is; I have a car a Geo Meto (a PC) that gets me from point A to point B  or I have a Lexus (mac) that has reliability, style (mac's look good) to get from point A to point B.  Some people will dive Lexus some will not, its a personl/finachel choice that people will make.  Everyone's choice is different, I have a dumb reason to use a mac, the remote for my imac is held on to the side of computer via a magnet for storage, I've not lost that remote once and this is worth the "mac tax" for me.
We know that the same could be said about there being a "Burton tax"  I'm sure there marketing department (witch generates systle to some exstent) is paid more then most (or all) of the other snowboarding companys.  I also would think that there team riders (which again go to style) buget is also more then any one elses.  To pay for these things there products have a "Burton tax" its just a matter of if the consumer wants to pay for these things. 
In Burton/Mac defence if burton did not have any team riders would snowboarding be where its at today, if Mac did not invent the GUI (graphical user interface) would computer be where they are today?

I should get back to looking like I'm working LOL
Day Riding: 15
Aus_Boarder View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2008 at 2:34am
Deciding vote goes to...  The PC.  Way cheaper to run.  Just fully upgraded RAM, CPU, Motherboard, Hard Drive for $300.  Can't do that with a mac.  With the current crop of CPUs providing so much processing power even Vista doesn't make a dent in the performance.
kimchijajonshim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2008 at 2:59am
I remember when Macs got the second button on the stock mouse and I was very sarcastically commenting that Mac's finally caught up to the idea of right clicking.  It turns out that button actually brings up a HUD display.  I think the function is actually really cool, but I can't believe how incredibly stupid it is not to have a right click.  Just doesn't make sense.

(Yes, like tai said you can use a third party mouse, but it's that form over function aspect of Macs that I can't stand)
ROLL ON, BISHES.
kimchijajonshim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2008 at 2:59am
Originally posted by Dunk

Another way to look at the "mac tax" is; I have a car a Geo Meto (a PC) that gets me from point A to point B  or I have a Lexus (mac) that has reliability, style (mac's look good) to get from point A to point B.  Some people will dive Lexus some will not, its a personl/finachel choice that people will make.  Everyone's choice is different, I have a dumb reason to use a mac, the remote for my imac is held on to the side of computer via a magnet for storage, I've not lost that remote once and this is worth the "mac tax" for me.

You're not addressing Burton08's main point that, which is that Mac offers roughly same components for tons more money.  Which completely throws the Lexus vs. Geo comparison out the window, since we already know which one has the higher end components.  It's more like if you were comparing an Accord and a Camry, except the Accord cost $60,000 because it's SHINIER (oooh, shiny!).

And you're right, Mac has every right to charge that if their cult fanatics are willing to pay it.  Just the way Burton is allowed to charge anywhere from 10-20% more on equipment than any other board company could get away with on the exact some product.  Doesn't mean you can't poke fun at the sheep who make it so.

In regards to the original poll, the only extensive time I spent on Macs is more than 5+ years ago, which is a lifetime in tech.  I had a bad impression of them then (for a long time, every time I saw that stupid colored iMac, I wanted to Office Space that mama dog).  In recent years, I've spent some time on them in computer labs, Apple stores, and my ex's laptop and I was not at all impressed... at least outside of the fact that the Macs at the Apple store have beautiful LCD displays.  They're ok, but definitely not worth the premium IMO.

That having been said, I have a huge amount of respect for Steve Jobs.  Dude's a businessman.  Even if he looks like a tool in his mock turtleneck and his company makes overpriced shiny things.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
Hbzfinest View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
me

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2008 at 4:27am
if you want a premium display... how about a sony viao?

is what im using right now, has a 1080p screen and look at all these specs.

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9300 (2.50 GHz, 6MB L2 Cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate

Features: 17" widescreen LCD display, 4GB RAM, 500GB hard drive (250GBx2) with Raid technology, NVIDIA® graphics, Blu-ray Disc™ optical drive, HDMI output, Bluetooth®, TV Tuner

Optical Drive #1

• BD-R DL Read : 1.6x max.
  • BD-R DL Write : 1x max.
  • BD-R Read : 2x max.
  • BD-R Write : 2x max.
  • BD-RE DL Read : 1.6x max.
  • BD-RE DL Write : 1x max.
  • BD-RE Read : 2x max.
  • BD-RE Write : 2x max.
  • BD-ROM Read : 2x max.
  • Blu-ray Disc™ Support : Yes5 (BD-R/-RE/-ROM/ DVD±RW/±R DL/RAM Drive)
EeZeEpEe View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
Electric EG2 Lips

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2008 at 4:43am
There's been an article showing that comparable Macs and PCs aren't very different in price. And here's the follow-up article. Sometimes Macs can be cheaper and sometimes PCs can be. If anything the only difference is that there isn't a very low end Mac notebook for under $1000. Personally it comes down to efficiency and everyday use for me. On another note all Mac desktops come with a mouse that Secondary clicks (aka right clicks). It might not look it but it has a sensor to distinguish left and right on the mouse. Also, it doesn't bring up Dashboard (aka the HUD) up by default. I'm pretty sure it's actually off by default but it's simple to change in System Preferences. Not that big of a deal.
'11 CAPiTA Horrorscope FK 149, '11 Union Binding Contact, '11 ThirtyTwo 86 Fast Track
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2008 at 6:37am
PC Bishes
www.chargeharder.com
ANGRY AGENT View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
WCPW #1 whore

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2008 at 10:12pm
I have to go PC.  I have used macs all through school but I like the PC better.  It's like Kimchi said Accord vs Camry.  PC is much cheaper and you get more for your money.  I picked up this laptop (gateway) for $700.  4gigddr 320hard drive and loaded with everything else.  MY Dad is a programmer and couldn't believe it when I brought it to his house the price I paid for it.  Mac is way too overpriced
ste_funny View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2008 at 2:20pm
saw this video and I had to share it LOL
mac vs. pc transformer style:

dcdomain View Drop Down
Local
Local
Citizen Chan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2008 at 2:54pm
PC. I used Macs for a bit at school for computer modeling but it never really caught on with me.

I like the Youtube video above, but i wish the designs for the various robots actually reflected the laptops and desktops.
tylermcginnis33 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2008 at 3:21pm
If I have to answer this question one more time in This or That I'm gonna kill someone
Duneluder View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2008 at 3:44pm
Hi, my name is Tracey, and I'm a PC.

Big%20smile

Boogeyman24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2008 at 3:51pm
PC!!!  always.  mac's have never impressed me.
Say Shhhhhh...
brodster View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
What is there to say-

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2008 at 4:27pm
I am a PC guy. I have no problem with either. I just get annoyed when people make terrible videos on youtube and place the badge at the end: "Made on a Mac." I mean that really isn't helping the Mac cause.

Seriously though, the only reason I choose PC is because I am comfortable with it.
ridesnowboarder View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Signal Park Rocker

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2008 at 4:44pm
I like PC's better also.
natesnowboards View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2008 at 5:22pm
i have always used a pc, i used a mac in a video editing class but never really liked it
kyleighcloo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2008 at 5:24pm
im a normal pc fan personally 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>