Extra 10-20% off select Purchases
More Info - Join Now
1 Staff | 18 Members
Live Chat
trusnow
Powered by 393,186 Members
Shopping Forum Out of Stock
username or email password
 Forum Home > SNOWBOARDS > I'm riding tomorrow, how bout you?

Quick Login: Forgot password?

Mont Tremblant, Quebec - Opinions-

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
StevieMTL View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote StevieMTL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mont Tremblant, Quebec - Opinions-
    Posted: Nov/19/2008 at 11:36am
I live in Montreal and normally ride the same mountains week in - week out. While I've never ridden Mont. Tremblant, I've always wanted to. I've been riding just about every weekend during the season for the last 3 years, this being my 4th year. I think the sheer size of it wigs me out.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has ridden it and what the opinion is. To tell you the truth I'd rather hit Jay Peak as everyone tells me that on rocks...

Cheers!
Guess what! I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cow bell!
ShredbettyZoe View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
<3

Quote ShredbettyZoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2008 at 12:25pm
Hey, I'm to your west a bit - just north of Ottawa.
I've ridden T.blant before, I plan to go more often this year.
its opening this weekend actually :-D
its a nice hill - its worth the drive, and its not that far from MTL
its a bigger hill but not as big as Jay Peak...
I'd make the trip there if i were you. its fun. the village is nice too :-) and you wont have to cross the border :-P
Eastcoast27 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Eastcoast27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2008 at 3:42pm
I spent two seasons working at Tremblant, and have ridden Jay Peak an endless number of  times.  Jay Peaks vertical is almost identical to that of tremblant (definately not noticeably different).  In addition, getting to the very top of Jay peak requires taking the gondola which can be a bit of a long wait (there's only two) and also the very top has very few groomed runs running from it and they are narrow, usually very windblown and icey.  Most of the time you probably won't be taking the gondola to the very top for those reasons. 

The top of Jay peak (accessed by the Gondola) does give you access to some small chutes which Tremblant doesn't have.  These chutes can be tons of fun if the snow conditions are good and you are a capable rider (but again they aren't very long). 

Greatest benefits to Jay
-  open policy for out of bounds skiing, they actually encourage it.  So if you like venturing off the marked trails and riding through the trees, looking for cliffs etc. Jay is awesome. 

- Gets significantly more snow than tremblant and frequent dumps of nice dry powder.

- FAR LESS CROWDS.  You can find untracked powder in the tress days after a storm, whereas in Tremblant u probably only have a few hours.   There is no easy access such as big highways like Tremblant has so when there is a storm many people find it hard to get out there.  There could be 4 feet of fresh on the hill and only a few people out riding (encountered this many times at Jay)

Tremblant
YOU NEED TO CHOOSE YOUR TIMES CAREFULLY.  Dec holidays 25- Jan 02 are a GONG SHOW at Tremblant, crowds like you've never seen (hour long waits in line) and typically the runs are very icy and windblown.  While still busy during the holidays Jay peak is far less busy than Tremblant.  But, the nightlife at Jay peak is NON EXISTENT. 

Tremblant has the best nightlife, and fun/chill stuff to do out of any resort in the east hands down, and for this reason we still hit it up over christmas (probably why the rest of quebec and ontario is there too). 

Tremblant IMO has a much better selection and array of groomed runs that are perfect for snowboarding (ie not too steep or flat so you can really get your steeeze on).  Excellent in bounds tree skiing too.  If you can hit up Tremblant at a time other than big hollidays, and right after some decent snow has fallen, AND YOU PRIMARILY STICK TO GROOMED TRAILS, I would pick Tremblant over Jay Peak. 

Tremblant has some excellent intermediate/beginner trails (top to bottom) so don't be turned away by the size of the hill, picture Mont St Sauveur just longer runs.  But again, don't go to Tremblant during the holidays unless u are looking to have as much fun partying as riding.

So in conclusion
-  Jay peak if you like to do out of bounds skiing
- Jay peak during holidays if you really aren't concered about doing anything other than riding
- Tremblant if:  its not a major holiday, you stick to the groomers, and they have gotten some decent snow (can be epic)
- Tremblant if you want some sort of nightlife (can also be epic)
ShredbettyZoe View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
<3

Quote ShredbettyZoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2008 at 4:21pm
Wow! Nice review :-) Very helpful
thx
Wizard1990 View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote Wizard1990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2008 at 6:10am
Originally posted by ShredBettyZoe

Wow! Nice review :-) Very helpful
thx

FAILED!
I only snowboard because its cool.
StevieMTL View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote StevieMTL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2008 at 3:25pm
Awesome thanks! I'm actually going riding at Tremblant on Thursday. So as long as they keep cranking out snow and it keeps falling up in the higher Laurentians...

Now I'm trying to get out to Whistler in January....Damn I love me these CDN winters...

Guess what! I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cow bell!
Eastcoast27 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Eastcoast27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2008 at 6:58pm
yea its been pretty sweet! I can't remember the last time I got out riding this early in Ontario, been out 5 times already and the muscles CAN'T handle it!   Had big plans to ride all of this week while the snow holds but im aching all over, looks like i'll have to give it a rest for a bit.  Getting old sucks!
yuhui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote yuhui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2010 at 4:36pm
Going to tremblant this winter cannot wait
canadianchick25 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote canadianchick25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2010 at 5:39pm
Hey,

I'm going to be in Montreal around Christmas how far away are these parks?
moonshadow View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote moonshadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2010 at 5:59pm
I went up to Tremblant last year for opening weekend... and they didn't open. The place was filled with people who had traveled from all over to snowboard/ski there that weekend and many were pissed - especially since tremblant swore up and down that there was snow fall (there was some) and that they were making snow (which they weren't) and would be up and running. On the day we arrived their web-site was still promoting the opening of their slopes. I felt a little lied to.

I had a good time in the village at night but it was so artificial. There was lots of great food (the crepe place has the best breakfast) and plenty of little pubs and bars to meet other ski/boarders which was great. i did get to go hiking but it was no comparison to boarding. What surprised me was how much MORE expensive it was than other resorts - and I live in NYC where the cost of food in almost any restaurant doesn't make me look twice.

Dice View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Dice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2010 at 6:33am
I go there almost every other weekend! LOVE IT!!!! The trails are awesome for every level. The (free) park is decent. The food is great! Got me the T-66 pass which covers it's cost in just 3 visits. Wink

If anyone going this year, hit me up with a PM. Hopefully it's in my T-66 select days... LOL If not, I can at least give you a quick guide on what trails to take and which lifts to hit when up there.

Cheers...
PEOPLE ARE ALL THE SAME… THEY ALL THINK THEY ARE DIFFERENT!!! -------- GEAR: Palmer Timeless 164, Nitro Haze 156, Burton T6 164, Ride Machete 161W (LE), Burton P1.1, Burton C60, Union Force SL, K2 DB T1 (boots)
Dice View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Dice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2011 at 6:07am
I've been there 4 times already and can tell you that it varies each time I go! Ice is always there, but I find a way to have fund with that doing super G runs. Wink

After the New Year rain, it was not that good. Now I hear it's better. Going this w/e and will see...

I general, I love going there regardless. You can always find a couple of trails that are just awesome. Icy or not!

Cheers...
PEOPLE ARE ALL THE SAME… THEY ALL THINK THEY ARE DIFFERENT!!! -------- GEAR: Palmer Timeless 164, Nitro Haze 156, Burton T6 164, Ride Machete 161W (LE), Burton P1.1, Burton C60, Union Force SL, K2 DB T1 (boots)
yuhui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote yuhui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2011 at 12:34pm
im going tonight with the schoolBig smile excite!! its a three day trip, we leave tonight, ride for 3 days and come back on monday
jambbleit14 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote jambbleit14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2012 at 7:41pm
Mother Nature is very good to Jay Peak. Because of the mountain's unique location and geographical features, Jay Peak gets more snow than anywhere else in New England (twice as much as many resorts). Located in Northern Vermont, Jay Peak is just a short drive from the Canadian border, attracting skiiers and snowboarders to its' 76 trails from all over.
personalgame View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote personalgame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2013 at 8:59pm

Thanks for posting. By the way, if you interested in games,
check this out.More abuat WOW Gold at http://www.wowgoldfun.com/

Post Reply Post Reply