heat molding boots at home-

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
matic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote matic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: heat molding boots at home-
    Posted: Nov/28/2008 at 7:31pm
can anyone recommend me some methods to heat mold some liners at home?
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2008 at 7:35pm
Heat them up with a hair dryer but I DO NOT recommend doing this.  Your best bet is to just take them to a shop.  Yes it can be done with a hair dryer but it won't be as effective.
www.chargeharder.com
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2008 at 7:40pm
yeah, dont do it with a hair dryer.  it doesnt heat it the right way, or at the right temperature, or vent.  it can easily damage the liner.  theres not really a good way to do it.

go to a shop.
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2008 at 7:43pm
Thank you spenser for reenforcing my views.  I know people who have done it with a hair dryer but it just doesn't work right.
www.chargeharder.com
esy.iam View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote esy.iam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2008 at 7:44pm
3rd.

don't do it at home. take it to a shop that sells those boots (or wherever you bought it from), they'll do it for free.
peace.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2008 at 7:50pm
most snowboard shops just have the stacks (like burtons EMU machine) that go in the boot, but you can also do it with a boot oven, which can be found at most ski (or even just outdoor) shops.. kinda depends on the liner though.  like deeluxe liners, those things are fully boot-oven-able.  but i get the idea that liners like burtons just arent as.... burly... so to cook them might be risky.  im not sure, im not a boot scientist, hah.

i didnt even mold mine this year.  they were as tight as i could get without it seriously sucking but we couldnt find our emu machine so i didnt get to do it, but after like 5+ days of hiking/riding, they started to be much better (they were never bad though) and now after 9 days theyre feelin super nice.  my feet are finally adjusting to superfeet again... id been wearing typical flat footed skate shoes since last season as usual.  i put my old superfeet in my shoes though to speed up the process, and now every time i slip them on i 'gasm a little.
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2008 at 7:58pm
Yeah after roughly 5 days of riding my ions they fit perfectly.  Heat molding is nice but it definitely isn't necessary.
www.chargeharder.com
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2008 at 8:01pm
yeah.  if your boots fit nice from the start then its all good.  i also had thought of skipping it in the first place since im gonna be riding so much this season, i could use those extra two weeks that heat molding takes.

shooooot, i might even have to get another pair of boots at some point through the season.
kimchijajonshim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2008 at 9:58pm
Never been a fan of heat molding, at least not right away.  Not had good experiences with it.

Hopefully the Sabbaths finally will be the boot that will give me ZERO pain... Ions were a big step up, but there were still days when my feet would get the most random pains over my instep, in my "sixth toe" area, etc... and other days I'd be completely fine.  Ions were definitely a step up over the Salomon Dialogues, which just didnt' fit once they packed out (and I probably wasn't discriminating enough when I bought htem).
ROLL ON, BISHES.
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2008 at 9:59pm
Oh yea, don't do it at home.  Let someone who knows what they're doing take care of it for you.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
esy.iam View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote esy.iam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2008 at 10:12pm
from what i've always done and what many talks with a handful of shop guys, molding the Burton Imprint liners right off the bat aren't suggested. since the Burton Imprint liners are only moldable at the very most, maybe 10 times, it's suggested that you wear them thoroughly and allow your body temp to mold them first (basically get a decent break-in). if they still don't fit perfectly, then take it in and heat mold it from there. 

it's different with the 32 liners because those are infinitely moldable. so, mold it right when you buy them, wear it/break it in, mold it again, etc.
peace.
ANGRY AGENT View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
WCPW #1 whore

Quote ANGRY AGENT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2008 at 10:14pm
screw that put'em in the microwave one at a time and then stick'em on your feet and waaallllaaahhhh......LOL
ihop View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote ihop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2008 at 4:20am
I've never heat molded any of mine.  The way I see it, heat molding is only an accelerated break-in, which means an accelerated break-down/packout.  If a pair of boots aren't comfortable enough right out of the box, they're the wrong boots for me, and heat-molding isn't going to make them fit much better.

I also don't think any boots are truly re-moldable.  I think heating the liners makes the foam soft, so when you stick your foot in the foam easily compresses at any pressure points, then hardens up as the boot cools down.  Reheating the liners softens the foam again, but it won't cause it to 'reinflate' back to like-new shape.  The curves and indentations that were molded in the first time will still be there after subsequent reheatings.
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Quote barnyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2008 at 6:12am
yeah = let a shop to it. it's like getting the same break-in feeling you'd get after 3 weekends but instantly!
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
kyleighcloo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kyleighcloo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2008 at 8:43pm
just ride in them
Aus_Boarder View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Aus_Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2008 at 1:33am
If you don't want to take them to a shop, heat your oven to 150C (or farenheit equivalent) and turn the oven off.  Put 'em in the oven for 5 minutes or so, just long enough to put enough heat through the liner, take 'em out and there you go.  This is something I picked up from a friend who fits boots.

However if they fit comfortably, don't do it.
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2008 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by ihop

I've never heat molded any of mine.  The way I see it, heat molding is only an accelerated break-in, which means an accelerated break-down/packout.  If a pair of boots aren't comfortable enough right out of the box, they're the wrong boots for me, and heat-molding isn't going to make them fit much better.

I also don't think any boots are truly re-moldable.  I think heating the liners makes the foam soft, so when you stick your foot in the foam easily compresses at any pressure points, then hardens up as the boot cools down.  Reheating the liners softens the foam again, but it won't cause it to 'reinflate' back to like-new shape.  The curves and indentations that were molded in the first time will still be there after subsequent reheatings.

Doesn't the foam expand when you heat it to the right temperature?  Obviously it's not a full reset because the foam will still be more worn in some areas than in others, but it does seem like expand close to its original shape.

Or does it really just make the existing foam softer?
ROLL ON, BISHES.
Sprifir View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Sprifir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2008 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by kyleighcloo

just ride in them

yes listen to the voice of reason. after you ride in them for like 3 days it will automatically mold..
Arbor Mystic
Forum Faction Bindings
Vans Fargo
klutzycurtis View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote klutzycurtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2008 at 10:36pm
oh, its easy as 1,2,3

step one, get some serious burning power (torpedo heater, volcano)

step two, step into boots

step three, cut off all bloodflow to legs and take pain meds

step four, step into heat source

step five, scream like hell

step six, enjoy riding your new heat molded boots as an amputee

oh, and btw, I'm BS'ing
hockysa View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote hockysa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2013 at 8:59am
hey guys,

bit of a thread revival but does anyone know where I can get toe caps from to do the heat moulding?

The shops here in Aus don't seem to have those fit kits from thirty two.

Cheers,
Benjamin
Lifes pretty straight without drifting.
Alkasquawlik View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Alkasquawlik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2013 at 9:06am
Like I posted in the other thread, the Fit Kit, which includes the actual heat molding unit and the toe caps, are given to shops to allow them to heat mold customers' boots. Unfortunately, regular customers cannot buy the unit or the toe caps seperately.

lime451 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote lime451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2013 at 2:27pm
Anyone have an opinion on heat molding vs. using orthopedic inserts like superfeet?

I would think heat molding would somewhat lessen the life of the footbed as it's somewhat prematurely packing it in.
Alkasquawlik View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Alkasquawlik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2013 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by lime451

Anyone have an opinion on heat molding vs. using orthopedic inserts like superfeet?

I would think heat molding would somewhat lessen the life of the footbed as it's somewhat prematurely packing it in.

When a shop heat molds your boot they are supposed to take out the footbeds, as the heat will melt/warp your footbed and ruin it.

Any shop that doesn't do this while heat molding a customer's boots is fvcking up and has no clue what they're really doing.

You can put Superfeet or any other sort of aftermarket footbed into your boots after heat molding them, I know many people that do. Heat molding just applies to the boot's liner.
 Post Reply Post Reply