All things SPORTS

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 123124125126127 144>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All things SPORTS
    Posted: Jul/09/2012 at 6:55am
It was tough to watch Murray lose in the finals with the whole country riding his shoulders.
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2012 at 9:07am

I feel bad for Adidas when Murray kept slipping and threw down his shoes. He probably lost them as a sponsor, but he probably don't want Adidas anymore... Shouda worn cleats, not "tennis" shoes... LOL

j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2012 at 1:02pm
LOL That kinda sounds like back in Tiger's dominant days when hiss sponsors required him to use their entire club line, and he putted horribly with it. After I'm sure losing a ton of customers cuz it was so awful, they finally allowed him to use his old putter again.
And likely in this scenario, if you're slipping all over the court, you wouldn't be eager to use that particular shoe again!
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2012 at 8:36pm
Im interested to see if federer can ride this momentum and possibly grab another us open title...and also i wanna see how rapha bounces back being that he's my favorite player and i always enjoy seeing him raise slam trophies
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2012 at 5:29am
So, why does Hope Solo get a pass for using a diuretic (which will get almost all athletes suspended, including NFL players), but Marion Jones is disgraced?  Don't get me wrong, Marion Jones cheated and should be stripped of all of her medals, but a diuretic is banned because it is a masking agent.  The selective enforcement seems a little odd.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2012 at 9:02am
Lost another men's league game by a miserable (14-1) margin. The SS initially wouldn't shut the hell up about telling the outfielders to move in for EVERYONE at bat (despite the fact that any one of that group can clear fence). But we all moved in to placate him.. and he shut up in a hurry lol.
The league institutes a 4th inning 10-run mercy rule, and we were up in the bottom of the 4th with 2 outs and guys on first and second. The batter hit a hard shot toward 2B, and it ricocheted off his glove. He ran to get it and tossed it to second, but wasn't quite in time to get the runner. Unfortunately, the guy on second (team captain) was WALKING from 2nd to 3rd, and had only made it 20 feet from 2nd by the time that throw was made. So they lightly tossed the ball over to 3rd to end the inning. I was on deck when that happened, and had been hitting well all day. Obviously the one at bat wasn't gonna tie the game, but it would've been nice to try to extend it.
After the out, our captain asked if we wanted to play another inning, but I'm like "if we're gonna play like that, then we may as well just )(%#&*in give up." And we did.
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2012 at 11:30am
Baseball is doing a decent job holding my attention, but damn I miss football. College, NFL. Only a few months away.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2012 at 11:31am
Baseball is doing a decent job holding my attention, but damn I miss football. College, NFL. Only a few months away.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2012 at 1:04pm
Playing beach vball 2's last night and got challenged so we thought ok would be fun to play against some new faces. One guy kept breaking out the rulebook on us, even though we know the rules, so they can get the point. I had to keep reminding him that it's all for fun and you don't win any medals! Eventually, we beat them 3 sets and called it a night cuz I couldn't deal with the bs anymore. Felt bad for the guy who was paired up with that dbag.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2012 at 5:44pm
Despite how much im into sports, and the variety of them that im into, the espys just do nothing for me
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2012 at 6:56pm
I refuse to watch the espys.  It's the only night of the where there is no sports.  I am in favor of the reprieve.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2012 at 8:28am
ha I can't say that I've ever watched the espys, in fact, i'm not too big into these award shows.
jason.huenefeld View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote jason.huenefeld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2012 at 8:50am
you know its a slow time in sports when the espys are on... bring on college bball!! haha THINK SNOW!!
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2012 at 9:28am

I am sure you could find an arena football game, jai alai tourney, 10 hours of ESPN classic to fill the void.

Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2012 at 10:00am
I had to endure through So You Think You Can Dance because there wasn't any sports on TV worth watching... Cry
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2012 at 1:44pm
Does anybody know when the Summer Olypmics start?
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2012 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by snowboardinrox357

Only watching basketball. The rest I can watch highlights on the local news.
jason.huenefeld View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote jason.huenefeld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2012 at 5:54pm
only bball here too.... might have it on in the background but go team usa! 
Jigkidd View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
TWISTER!

Quote Jigkidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2012 at 2:33am
The exhibition game against the Dominican was ridiculous.
at halftime KD had 21 and the Dominican had 27
Long hair don't care!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2012 at 8:29am
Originally posted by snowboardinrox357

in 2 weeks...starts 7/27..ends 8/12.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2012 at 9:28am
Some good fights this weekend: Khan v. Garcia and Chisora v. Haye.  Although for the latter fight, I think you have to subscribe to EpixHD.  I tried that once for a Klitchko fight because they offered it for free and the server crashed.  It was an Epix failure.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2012 at 11:38am
Playin in a 2-pitch slow-pitch coed tourney over the weekend. First game is tomorrow at 8 am.. So much for sleeping in! :(
Guess it'll be a bit of a warm up for the Moonlight tourney in a month where games are played all hours of the day/night.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2012 at 7:50pm
That Garcia / Khan fight was sick.  I highly recommend checking it out if you haven't seen it.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2012 at 11:03am
A buddy asked me to join his church league softball team for a tournament. I felt so bad cuz I couldn't keep my laughter in. Just can't deal with the whole religious "devotion" stuff after games. Plus I tend to curse a lot so its best not to play.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2012 at 3:38pm
----
Played the seeding games of a coed 2-pitch tourney today. Went 1-2, which isn't too bad, considering we were a meld of three teams - none of whom have played together before. Played a sloppy first game cuz no one knew where anyone else was gonna be. Second game was a big win against one of the more dominant teams in our city league schedule. Third game was super close. Woulda figured the fist fight in the 3rd inning between members of the opposing team would have disqualified them, but no. One of the kids got taken off by the cops.. then brought back by the cops later to compete in the HR derby... wtf lol
----
Meant to post that in this thread yesterday but was too beat to know what i was doing lol

Also... we got our asses handed to us this morning which ended our day. had somewhere around 10-15 errors (6 of them as fielding/throwing errors to/from third base). rough. Watched the rest fo the games which were pretty entertaining. The group that fought yesterday got the sportsmanship trophy today. dumb, but whatever.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2012 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Von44

A buddy asked me to join his church league softball team for a tournament. I felt so bad cuz I couldn't keep my laughter in. Just can't deal with the whole religious "devotion" stuff after games. Plus I tend to curse a lot so its best not to play.

would be funnier if they cuss as much as you during the game and went out for beer after...
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2012 at 8:27pm
Looking forward to the british open starting thursday-always my favorite major
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2012 at 5:53am
^Toughest major out there. It's been a while since a brits won the british open so maybe Westwood or Justin Rose can step up their game.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2012 at 7:03am
Our men's league softball game got called in the 3rd inning on account of lightning knocking the power out at the park. The lightning wasn't directly over us, mostly 3-5 miles off to the east, but it was still pretty crazy. I wasn't terribly bummed by quitting early, we were getting pummeled, and I over-worked my arm in the tourney over the weekend.
Gonna take a break from OF and play some first base in the coed game today. We're gonna get spanked there too, but there's always beer, I guess lol.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2012 at 6:51pm
We got thumped tonight and what made it worse was that the other team were jerks.  The game took almost two hours because the other team's pitcher refused to lower his pitches (we don't have balls/strikes because there are no umps).  So we just waited and waited for good pitches and he refused to throw them.  Not only that, we were down 8 runs and they pulled a hidden ball trick on one of our players that worked.  Hope we see them in the playoffs.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2012 at 8:51am
Originally posted by Geez

We got thumped tonight and what made it worse was that the other team were jerks.  The game took almost two hours because the other team's pitcher refused to lower his pitches (we don't have balls/strikes because there are no umps).  So we just waited and waited for good pitches and he refused to throw them.  Not only that, we were down 8 runs and they pulled a hidden ball trick on one of our players that worked.  Hope we see them in the playoffs.

LOL the hidden ball trick in beer league softball.. that's a first! Sorry you had to play a group of a-holes, geez. We did indeed get pummeled last night, but the other team was actually having fun (they generally have a gestapo style of play which makes everyone miserable), so we were able to have a bit of fun too. We do self-umpiring for our leagues (i.e. you ump for your own team). It does occasionally provide some controversy, but most people know if they REALLY screw up, that it'll likely come back on them in spades. Either way, it sucks a ton to play a team that refuses to pitch strikes. I'm a patient batter, but i definitely get pissed when it takes 12 pitches to see one that's even remotely hittable. Fortunately there's only one team that practices such a thing in our coed league... Unfortunately, we play em next week :(
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2012 at 5:16pm
A lot of people don't like watching soccer because of the lack of scoring, but in the Seattle vs Chelsea game they have scored 4 goals in the first 30 minutes.  2-2.  Fun to watch so far.
robsta View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote robsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2012 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by HAVEN2135

A lot of people don't like watching soccer because of the lack of scoring, but in the Seattle vs Chelsea game they have scored 4 goals in the first 30 minutes.  2-2.  Fun to watch so far.
Watching it.
I'm always amazed how these MLS teams can play with these European powerhouses
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2012 at 6:59am
4-2 finish in that one, Chelsea wins it. But yeah, it's nice to see teams from across the pond go head-to-head; and just an added bonus that they aren't blowouts. The US will never pay as much attention to soccer as they do to other sports, but they're definitely games worth watching.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 10:01am
Tough way for Adam Scott to go out.  Els hit a monster birdie on 18 and that put the pressure on.  You can't bogey the last 4 holes and expect to win.  
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 12:38pm
I feel horrible for adam scott-thats one of the really bad sunday collapses ive ever seen. On another note, tiger needs to figure out what the hell happened to his sunday at a major mojo
RastaRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RastaRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 1:42pm
^ what happened is he didn't have the 54 hole lead. He's never won a major without at least sharing the lead after 54 and I didnt expect it to happen now. Though I was kinda hoping it would.

Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 4:39pm
Aww poor adam scott. Guess the pressure got to him.
BoxStomper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 5:21pm
Ernie is a stand up, classy as they come player. in the midst of victory he was sympathetic for his friend. Thats a class act, Congrats to the Big Easy on a 4th major, across 3 decades. so sweet!
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2012 at 6:03am
Saw Michael Phelps on 60 Minutes last night.  He might win a few medals in London, but he just does not seem to care much anymore.  Hey, that's his choice, he is the second most decorated olympian ever and has made around $40 mil in endorsements.  He can call it quits anytime.  Still, he carries his medals in a ratty old tee-shirt stuffed in a make-up kit.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2012 at 6:34am
That's awesome ernie won another one :). I always enjoy seeing his name in golf news :)
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2012 at 9:10am
Oh! in completely unrelated news, Penn State received its punishment for the Sandusky scandal. They are bowl banned for 4 years (eliminating 40 scholarships), received $60M in fines by the NCAA, and all Penn State wins from 1998-2011 have been voided. Ergo, Joe-pa is no longer the official winningest coach in college football history.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2012 at 9:13am
^ Next the Big Ten needs to boot PSU outta the conference.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RastaRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2012 at 9:27am
I'm kind of shocked at the lack of respect by some of the psu students thinking the punishment was too harsh. I'm sure if they were the ones victimized their thought process would be a lot different. Athletic sanctions are nothing compared to what the victims had to go through and still have to deal with. Hopefully they will open their eyes and realize this.

They deserved to be made an example out of. Hopefully if it ever happens again at any educational institute the higher ups won't just turn a blind eye to protect something as meaningless as an athletic program.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2012 at 10:25am
I'd say line up  those school officials that covered it up and let the victims beat the crap out of them. These sanctions against the school doesn't hurt the people that commited the wrongdoing, it only hurts the students that have nothing to do with it. How is Sandusky punished by the bowl ban or lack of scholarships? The people involved are no longer part of the school so none of these punishments mean anything to them. I agree there should be punishment, but this is not the right way to do it.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RastaRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2012 at 10:33am
It's a deterrent for the higher ups of other institutions to not do the same thing penn state did. Which is nothing.

Also not sure how it hurts the average student. The 60 million isn't coming out of their pockets.

I can agree with letting the victims beat the people responsible though
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2012 at 11:16am
Originally posted by RastaRider

Also not sure how it hurts the average student. The 60 million isn't coming out of their pockets.

The money could have gone to lowering costs of tuition, improving school facilities, paying more employees to serve the students better, etc. At a time where many colleges are raising tuition and cutting programs, any money that the school loses will directly impact the students.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RastaRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2012 at 10:02pm
While $60 million is undoubtedly a lot of money to the average person, to a major university such as penn state, whos football value alone was $100 million last year and $99 million the year before and averaged $53 million since 1972, it's nothing more than a slap on the wrist. Then you factor in their donations from last year alone totaling $209 million and you start to see how minute $60 million really is to them.

And if there's one thing penn state has, it's die hard supporters, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them once again get near the same amount of contributions this year, if not more.

If they truly wanted to lower tuition, build better facilities, hire better staff, etc., they had plenty of opportunity. Not to mention the $60 million is spread over 5 years where it's estimated the football program, even after the sanctions and everything else, will be worth $80 million next season and near the $100 million mark in 5 seasons(which is where it was during last season).

Also it's worth noting the $60 million isn't just going to some rich NCAA directors bank account but rather to help fight child sex crimes and help victims of child sex crimes.

If nothing more comes from this than the realization by other 'football-first' universities that human lives far outweigh their athletic programs and traditions, then, in my opinion, it's a success
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2012 at 9:41am
Penn State deserves every punishment handed down on them.  What happened on that campus is disturbing and heinous on so many levels.

Having said that, the grandstanding by the NCAA is nauseating.  Like the NCAA itself isn't completely corrupt.
BoxStomper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2012 at 9:49am
Its sick how people can put records/trophies and football over the sick things that happened to human beings and families.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 123124125126127 144>