All things SPORTS

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 121122123124125 144>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All things SPORTS
    Posted: Jun/11/2012 at 6:54am
No question that there'll be a rematch. With all the contreversy behind this fight Bradley would be a chump if he didn't agree to one. It'd be a stain on his career.
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2012 at 7:23am
There had better be a rematch, but the only concern is that will Manny be too old by then...
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2012 at 8:27am
Although Bob Arum (fight promoter) is saying there will not be a rematch unless the Nevada Atty General launches an investigation, he's bullshitting.  His company promotes both fighters and there are some whispers that the fight was rigged just so there would be a rematch in which case his company takes in a lot of money.
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2012 at 10:08am
the judges weren't watching the fight, they were watching their bank account's new deposit...
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2012 at 10:24am
Originally posted by lightning80

the judges weren't watching the fight, they were watching their bank account's new deposit...

They were watching the fight. They just saw it differently. How and why? I really dont care. I just love how both fighters reacted. Classy.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2012 at 10:25am
Originally posted by shing02

after adding up all the points on my own score card...bradley struck air and threw more punches a LOT more than pacquiao...based on this, yes...he would win

unfortunately, points are scored on successful punches...which makes this entire sport bullshit now

no wonder no one watches boxing anymore...

Bradley threw about 100 more punches but landed close to nothing so if throwing more useless punches equals a win then might as well stand in your corner and run away from your opponent and throw as many air punches as you want for a win because that's what happened and it worked.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2012 at 5:32pm
Said it before, it has been a bad few weeks for boxing:  two fights canceled because fighters tested positive to PEDs, Paul Williams paralyzed, Johnny Tapia passing, and now this.  I love boxing, and I will stick with it because I know the only thing consistent and reliable about boxing is the controversy.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2012 at 9:00pm
So relieved that nadal was able to withstand djokovic's pre-rain delay momentum. Anyone see pau gasol embrace nadal after his win-pretty cool
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2012 at 3:46am
Originally posted by timpiper

So relieved that nadal was able to withstand djokovic's pre-rain delay momentum. Anyone see pau gasol embrace nadal after his win-pretty cool

Saw the match before the rain delay on sunday. Nadal was dominant. if it weren't for the delay, it felt like he was going to win in straight sets.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2012 at 8:55am
Yah. With few exceptions, that entire matchup was one sided. But most Nadal vs. _______ matchups are lol. He's a beast.
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote broys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2012 at 9:24am
Originally posted by j_lucky84

Yah. With few exceptions, that entire matchup was one sided. But most Nadal vs. _______ matchups are lol. He's a beast.

On clay Nadal is about the most dominant tennis player of all-time. It's more of a shock when he loses than when he wins playing there, it's just not fair.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2012 at 9:08pm
True but nadal had lost 7 straight tournament finals to the joker, had just dropped a set and lost 8 games in a row when the clay was wet. Having to wait till monday allowed the court to dry which reinstated nadal's legendary spin and high bouncing ground strokes-which subsequently let him regain the momentum and finally outlast novak
mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2012 at 12:54am
^^^ Including 3 majors, was an impressive streak Djokovic had going. Nadal would be more thankful than ever for clay courts after his French Open victory!!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2012 at 9:05am
The WBO announced they'll be reviewing the fight...it took them this long to decide they need to look into it?
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2012 at 6:10pm
They're not going to do (nothing).  There is no governing body in boxing.  I am not a huge conspiracy guy, but what do you believe: 1) the only two people (aside from 1 or 2 sportswriters) in the building who think Bradley won the fight just happened to be judges

or:

2)
- Part of the promotion was talking about a rematch
- Pac has already run through every Top Rank fighter at his weight and needed an opponent for November because Mayweather is in prison
- Pac's contract with Top Rank is up in 2013 and will likely leave
- The odds on Bradley winning the fight in the week before the fight dropped considerably because there was so much money being put on Bradley.

timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2012 at 9:10pm
And boxing wonders why the fanfare is far from what it used to be....
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2012 at 7:28am
If pacquiao won , not too many people would be talking aboutboxing. More people would tune to see his next fight just cuz the "decision". People love drama in sports.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2012 at 9:37am
Originally posted by solocreep

If pacquiao won , not too many people would be talking aboutboxing. More people would tune to see his next fight just cuz the "decision". People love drama in sports.

If Pacman won then people would still be pushing for a Mayweather match which will never happen anyways since he would rather go down in history as undefeated.  Sure, people love drama but not when it comes to decisions being rigged.
JoeRocket1212 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote JoeRocket1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2012 at 11:25am
congrats to the LA kings...
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2012 at 6:24pm
The nba finals game is turning rapidly here in the 4th quarter
tk177 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote tk177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2012 at 6:28pm

The nba finals game is turning rapidly here in the 4th quarter

Posting in the NBA thread and this thread about the same topic....gotta love it
shing02 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote shing02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2012 at 10:22pm

it's NOT so much that but.....

leaving "conversation" behind, basically it's not a "sport" anymore. just a spectacle liek MMA is fast becoming one. we're not gonna have fights of "this style" vs another style...like it used to be in boxing. it's just "lets pit the "best of the best" together and have them fight instead of "what if the best person of this style goes against this other different style?"

tl;dr: you watch for the winner, not for the blood.
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2012 at 5:07am
Boxing isn't just best of the best. That's usually called the main event. Scrubs/up n comers take care of the prelims. As far as style vs style; there's punchers, counter punchers, brawlers, etc. to say they will only fight within their style? That would be bad for boxing.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2012 at 8:20am
I wonder what the people who placed bets on Pacman will do when the reviews decide that he didn't lose the fight...
cheemaster View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote cheemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2012 at 9:05am
Did anyone see that facebook post by a "timothy bradley" saying that after reviewing the tape a bunch of times that he was gonna give up the belt to its rightful owner? lol
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2012 at 11:09am
Either way the manny-floyd fight has lost its luster and appeal. Manny seems to be slowly losing his power and so does floyd-both narrowly escaping fights they used to dominate
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2012 at 5:36pm

Either way the manny-floyd fight has lost its luster and appeal. Manny seems to be slowly losing his power and so does floyd-both narrowly escaping fights they used to dominate

Are you kidding me? Mayweather isn't really known for his punching power even tho he's ko'd some guys before. And narrowly escape? Lol. He lost like 3 rounds to cotto in what was probably his best fight ever. he was actually the agressor vs a worthy opponent.
I guess it makes a little more sense then. Two people can watch the same fight and come out with different points of view. Except two judges saw bradley winning, and millions (fans and people surrounding boxing), saw pacquiao winning. Go figure.
shing02 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote shing02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2012 at 10:19pm

Are you kidding me? Mayweather isn't really known for his punching power even tho he's ko'd some guys before. And narrowly escape? Lol. He lost like 3 rounds to cotto in what was probably his best fight ever. he was actually the agressor vs a worthy opponent.
I guess it makes a little more sense then. Two people can watch the same fight and come out with different points of view. Except two judges saw bradley winning, and millions (fans and people surrounding boxing), saw pacquiao winning. Go figure.

seconded, iut's the way they bob and weave that gets them out, while punishing their opponent for every miss or any time they decide to turtle
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2012 at 12:52am
This thread has quickly become all about boxing cuz pacman lost. I don't think thered be this much talk had he kept the belt.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2012 at 4:21am
What I never understood is this: Pac and Mayweather have been on each other's radar for years.  So the "negotiations" to make the fight happen were all about steroids, splitting the money, proper venue, etc. like this would be the last fight they ever fought.  Well, if this fight happens two years ago, and they make $50 mil each, guess what, you fight a rematch and then make a more money.  Clearly, Mayweather is protective of his perfect record, and Manny, Manny is, well, different.  Will they ever fight?  Who knows at this point.  But I agree, this fight should have happened two years ago when they were still at the tail end of their primes.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2012 at 9:12am
Originally posted by Geez

What I never understood is this: Pac and Mayweather have been on each other's radar for years.  So the "negotiations" to make the fight happen were all about steroids, splitting the money, proper venue, etc. like this would be the last fight they ever fought.  Well, if this fight happens two years ago, and they make $50 mil each, guess what, you fight a rematch and then make a more money.  Clearly, Mayweather is protective of his perfect record, and Manny, Manny is, well, different.  Will they ever fight?  Who knows at this point.  But I agree, this fight should have happened two years ago when they were still at the tail end of their primes.

I getcha. Regardless of the blown decision in the Manny/Bradley fight, it would appear Manny has lost a bit of his steam, and by the time Mayweather's out of the clink, it may not even be much of an interest to see a bought between the two.
shing02 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote shing02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2012 at 12:01am

Originally posted by Geez

I getcha. Regardless of the blown decision in the Manny/Bradley fight, it would appear Manny has lost a bit of his steam, and by the time Mayweather's out of the clink, it may not even be much of an interest to see a bought between the two.

pacman hasn't loss any steam, he just didn't pull the KO, i have no idea what you're talking about...
the interest in seeing them is basically "pitting the best against the best" as it has usually been in boxing
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2012 at 4:24pm
I would say that Pacman AND Mayweather have lost a bit of steam... See: Mayweather actual got hit once or twice by Cotto, and Pac very easily could have (some say should have) lost to Marquez.  You have to keep in mind these guys were clearly the two best fighters in the sport, and so any showing of weakness, or in their case, lack of dominance shows that ever so slightly, they are creeping up their in age.  They're still the two best in the world, they are just no longer at their peak like they were 3-4 years ago.
shing02 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote shing02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2012 at 10:19pm
and they'll keep fighting because the money is pretty sweet...the same reason tyson kept fighting and tarnished his reputation

THEN AGAIN, i think pacman actually likes it so i can't really say...
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 7:57am
Originally posted by Von44

This thread has quickly become all about boxing cuz pacman lost. I don't think thered be this much talk had he kept the belt.

well..there are threads for the nba, nfl, nhl, soccer, and golf...doesn't leave much for this thread...tennis?
shing02 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote shing02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 10:14pm

Originally posted by Von44

well..there are threads for the nba, nfl, nhl, soccer, and golf...doesn't leave much for this thread...tennis?

well...no one did anything BIG or terrible...people paid $60 or so to watch this fight and they saw a robbery...

if i wanted to see a robbery, i'd swing by hunters point and watch that for free!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2012 at 12:21pm
Feds lost the Roger Clemens case...then dropped the one against Lance Armstrong...anybody else think all of this is a waste of our tax money?
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2012 at 9:13pm
Ya its ridiculous. They should be prosecuting the ceo's of major corporations that have commited hayness white collar crimes that in essence crippled our economy rather than go after athletes who have fallen from grace
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2012 at 9:56pm

Feds lost the Roger Clemens case...then dropped the one against Lance Armstrong...anybody else think all of this is a waste of our tax money?

An ENORMOUS waste. I've been aruging that since the case against Clemens came up in the first place (well before the Perjury charges n all that). Unemployment's high, school class sizes are growing every year, but it's more important to dump money into the supreme court to find out if Clemens or Armstrong juiced.
I understand the arguments to keep the drugs out of pro sports, but the court system does not need to be involved!
shing02 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote shing02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2012 at 10:21pm
they've spent more time prosecuting/debating big name stars instead of big name companies...or hell, even the iraq war! :/
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2012 at 2:19am
The fact that the Clemens trial took TWO attempts (with the first mistrial), and they still couldn't get a conviction is incredibly embarrassing and likely means this is the last time they try to do this with sports (that is, until the next scandal arises).  Nobody cares, and the time and effort exerted was clearly a waste.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2012 at 6:54pm
Anyone looking forward to wimbledon?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2012 at 8:44am
A run-off or a coin-toss to decide the 3rd representative for the US to go to the Olympics in the women's 100m. Really? A coin-toss is an option? How many athletes are going to let a coin-toss decide whether they get to go to the Olympics? The US Track & Field officials are insane...
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2012 at 9:00am
What?! A coin toss?! I haven't heard anything about this! Do you have a link to that story somewhere?
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2012 at 9:02am

What?! A coin toss?! I haven't heard anything about this! Do you have a link to that story somewhere?

Yes, here's a link:

j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2012 at 9:22am
LOL! that's awful! And worse yet they're using a standard quarter to do the flip?! Does NO ONE on that committee watch Mythbusters?!
"But if there is a run-off, the health of the athlete must be protected,"... really?! racing is all these people do! It's not like they're gonna throw hurdles under the track that randomly pop up lol
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2012 at 9:45am

I think athelets at this level have very strict workout schedules and routines. Since both runners already had 2 races (prelim and finals) for the 100m, and both still have 2 races for the 200m, having another 100m race might cause injury because they're running too much at that kind of speed with not enough rest in between for the muscles. It kind of similar to how baseball pitchers have a set number of rest days to avoid injury. But, I'm pretty sure they run more often during training anyways and shouldn't be THAT much of a problem.

HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2012 at 10:23am
Andy Murry looked great today, and it would be awesome to see a Brit finally win Wimbledon.  However I just don't see him being able to beat 2 of the top 3 to do it. I am taking Federer on this one.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2012 at 10:26am
Has anyone played tennis on grass before? I'd probably use my football cleats to get traction...
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2012 at 11:12am

Has anyone played tennis on grass before? I'd probably use my football cleats to get traction...

Never heard of doing that but I guess it's possible since the ball would still bounce but can you really find any tennis courts on grass?  Shocked
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121122123124125 144>