All things SPORTS

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 122123124125126 146>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alkasquawlik View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Alkasquawlik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All things SPORTS
    Posted: Jun/26/2012 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

Originally posted by lightning80

Has anyone played tennis on grass before? I'd probably use my football cleats to get traction...

Never heard of doing that but I guess it's possible since the ball would still bounce but can you really find any tennis courts on grass?  Shocked

You've never heard or watched Wimbleton?
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2012 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Alkasquawlik

You've never heard or watched Wimbleton?

That's grass?  News to me!  LOL  I always thought it was that type of squishy cement whatevers it's called but those courts sometimes have dead spots where the ball won't bounce at all.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2012 at 12:31pm
Yeah, that's grass. That's why you see the green ground with brown dirt from the player running in the same spots all week wearing out the grass. By the way, the French Open is on clay.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2012 at 2:31am
Pretty excited for the new College Football playoff.  The yearly BCS conversation was definitely getting old.  The Bowl system is so corrupt, I am sure there will be a lot of hiccups and controversy on the way, but I think the playoff system is the way to go.
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2012 at 4:26am
Originally posted by Geez

Pretty excited for the new College Football playoff.  The yearly BCS conversation was definitely getting old.  The Bowl system is so corrupt, I am sure there will be a lot of hiccups and controversy on the way, but I think the playoff system is the way to go.

Now people are gonna complain about the last playoff spot.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2012 at 6:43am
There will always be complaints, critics, and fans of whatever system is put in place. if it were 8 teams, there would be arguments over the 9th. But atleast the 3rd and 4th best teams in the nation will have a chance to vie for a national title. The SEC has been thumping people the last couple years, so throwing a few other obstacles in the mix is all roses for me.

And to continue this topic.. can't we create an official 2012 NCAA Football thread? Its right about that time to start talkin it anyway :D
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2012 at 7:38am
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2012 at 10:01pm
Part of me wants to see federer win another wimbledon title, especially since i think this is the only slam he has a chance to win at this stage of his career ( because he has such a perfect grass court game)
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2012 at 9:29pm
I cannot believe nadal just lost in the second round
shing02 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shing02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2012 at 9:47pm
huge win for italy! can't wait for the match up with portugal! ;)
robsta View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote robsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2012 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by shing02

You mean Spain right?

Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2012 at 6:40am
Originally posted by shing02

Yeah the Italy/Portugal finals should be a good game!!! Lemme know how it goes Shing!

Meanwhile, I'll be watching the Italy/Spain euro finals like the rest of the world.
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2012 at 6:44am
Originally posted by timpiper

It was a really good match. It is always fun to see the underdog pull one out.  That clears the path for Murray, but he does still have to beat Tsonga.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2012 at 8:43am
Originally posted by timpiper

That's the thing about being one of the best players in the world.. you get EVERYONE's best shot.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2012 at 11:48am
Ya thats a good point that it will allow murray a more legit chance in a rapha-less semi finals. Murray's running out of time anyway-he needs to win a slam quick
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2012 at 12:34pm
Anybody following the Olympic Trials?
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2012 at 12:47pm
^Sort of. I've watched a little bit of the swimming trials.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2012 at 6:54am
Usain Bolt lost in the Jamaica trials... should set up for a good match in the Olympics.  He was one of the stars in Beijing, even with his showboating.
shing02 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shing02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2012 at 10:09pm

Usain Bolt lost in the Jamaica trials... should set up for a good match in the Olympics.  He was one of the stars in Beijing, even with his showboating.

i guess he was just a tad arrogant.....or maybe he;s just out of his league now...
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2012 at 12:45am

Anybody following the Olympic Trials?

Saw a bit of the swimming yesterday, and gymnastics... but wasn't terribly amused. the real stuff is more fun to watch.
tuckshop13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote tuckshop13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2012 at 5:10am
^yeah the trials are boring, everyone saves there best for the gold
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2012 at 8:19am
Nice to see that there's a faster swimmer than Phelps for a change. But then again, it's just trials and all they want is to make the team. I'd love to see what Ryan Lochte can do on the world stage tho.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2012 at 8:22am
Originally posted by Von44

Nice to see that there's a faster swimmer than Phelps for a change. But then again, it's just trials and all they want is to make the team. I'd love to see what Ryan Lochte can do on the world stage tho.

I just wonder where was Lochte when Phelps was winning all those gold in the last olympics?  I think ever since Lochte beat Phelps the first time, he's been beating him over and over.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2012 at 2:21pm
Well it's pretty well documented too that lochte dramatically changed his training and all around health habits since beijing-plus...phelps, for a swimmer, is well past his physical prime
shing02 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shing02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2012 at 10:19pm
tiger FINALYL won something...it is good to see him like he used to be :)
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2012 at 4:27pm
I agree with tim. Phelps' good days are def behind him and he's just trying to keep it close at this point knowing he's got no chance at beating Lochte. Lochte is just a beast! He's doing something right with his training.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2012 at 5:46pm
Either way, it will be exciting to watch at the Olympics, which is all NBC is hoping for:  Drama between two Yanks where either way the result is the Star Spangled Banner being played.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2012 at 6:19am
My men's league softball team suffered its first loss of the season last night. The defense of that team is nothing short of dominant, and we struggled to even get extra base hits on em. I was playin right center and a guy sent a shot deep. I made a run for the fence and leaped to catch it, but the ball narrowly cleared my glove, hit the top of the fence, and then hit me in the dome lol. It was pretty spectacular! I wish i coulda seen it third person :D
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2012 at 7:53am
j_lucky...that would have made the "Not Top 10 Plays"...LOL
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2012 at 8:07am
Kinda reminds me of Jose Canseco where he tried to make the catch and ended up bouncing off his head and over the fence for a homer. Wished there was a vid of that play jlucky!
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2012 at 8:22am

j_lucky...that would have made the "Not Top 10 Plays"...LOL

You're right! I can totally hear the circus music playing as i replay that in my head :))

Originally posted by Von44

Kinda reminds me of Jose Canseco where he tried to make the catch and ended up bouncing off his head and over the fence for a homer. Wished there was a vid of that play jlucky!

You're right, too! I didn't even make it back to our dugout before someone made a Canseco reference :))
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2012 at 8:33am
There was one play in the A's/Rangers game on Sunday where a fly ball hit the fence, Cespedes was chasing after it. The ball bounced down to his feet and he kicked it back over the fence and he was turning everywhere trying to find the ball. His teamate had to tell him the ball already went over the fence and he looked totally lost... The play probably didn't make it on ESPN, but I thought it was pretty funny at the moment.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2012 at 7:43pm
Looking forward to having a day off to watch the men's quarters for wimbledon tomorrow
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2012 at 8:01am
Wimbledon?  I think you are forgetting the Nathan's Hot Dog eating contest!  I put this post in this thread because the announcers routinely refer to the competitors as "athletes."
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2012 at 9:44pm
Have not and likely will not ever watch a single second of competitive eating
wowlijetgold View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote wowlijetgold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2012 at 11:29pm
There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.

-----------------------------
WOW Gold|Buy Runescape Gold|Runescape Gold

j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2012 at 7:27am
Competitive eating is gross! Unless it was just a competition of supermodels eatin corndogs, count me out :P. Lol, sorry. Couldn't resist.
Yesterday, I played a local golf course that I hadn't been to before. Most of the courses I have previously visited are on open terrain, mostly surrounded by wheat fields; so if your monster slice rears its ugly head, you generally don't find your ball, but there's no windows to break. This course had been developed all around it.. I lost 10 balls playing 12 holes, and along the way I hit 3 houses, and almost a Cadillac.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2012 at 8:14am
You're as good in golf as you are in catching softballs... Clap

I stopped watching the hot dog eating contest after kobayashi refused to go...
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2012 at 12:03pm
I heard the Hot Dog Champion tied his old record of 64 hot dogs in 10 mins!!! That's disgusting!! Even the female champ threw back 41! Just thinking about it makes me want to barf. I think the most i've ever eaten was like 3.

@j_lucky - that round sounds a lot like when I first started except I used to lose nearly 2 dozen balls! Still looking for my first caddy tho! lol
jon98gn View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jon98gn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2012 at 12:40pm
I thought it was 68 hot dogs in 12 minutes and the Black Window girl chowed down 42 which was her age and she was excited about.
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2012 at 12:41pm
Did any of you guys ever try the 9-9-9?

9 dogs, 9 beers, in 9 innings of baseball.  We did it a few years back on dollar dog night at a ballgame.  Seemed like a fun idea at the time, but those dogs really get tough to eat after about six.

68 hot dogs is just wrong.
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2012 at 5:33am
Roger takes down Djokovic take 3 set.  Roger now has a chance to tie Pete for the all time record at Wimbledon.
alohasurf View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote alohasurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2012 at 6:01am
Congratulations to Federer. I'm hoping he wins!
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2012 at 9:17am
Thank God! No djokovic title equals a happy me
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2012 at 12:08pm
Won our coed softball game this week... Though I must say I didn't expect to. Two of our girls were gone... and we were only able to find a sub for 1, so we could only play 9. We played quite well though, and play the worst team in the league next week.. should be a good one lol.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2012 at 11:21am
Watched the second half of the Wimbledon final while at the gym.  Federer was just too good.  You could tell all the locals realllllllly wanted to see Murray pull it off, but I don't know how many shots Federer hit that were right on the line.  Murray had no shot.
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2012 at 11:26am
^Both Federer and Nadal are boss at tennis.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2012 at 2:35pm

Watched the second half of the Wimbledon final while at the gym.  Federer was just too good.  You could tell all the locals realllllllly wanted to see Murray pull it off, but I don't know how many shots Federer hit that were right on the line.  Murray had no shot.

Yea, only part of federer's dominance is due to his outright power.. definitely gotta give credit to placement, cuz half the time he leaves his opponents bewildered.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2012 at 8:47pm
After watching andy murray's runner up speech i really wish in retrospect that he would have won-ive seen the poor guy cry after all of his four finals losses but i think every tennis fan felt this one for him
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2012 at 9:47pm
I guess no one else watched boxing. Klitchko and Donaire with nice wins.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 122123124125126 146>