All things SPORTS

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 143144145146>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Commissar View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Commissar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All things SPORTS
    Posted: Jun/19/2014 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Nate042

That was the initial plans of the Big Ten to take some Big East schools(Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers or UConn) and their big target of Notre Dame. Notre Dame never sparked big interest and eventually talks went out west to Nebraska and Mizzou. The Big 10 probably only sent out their invitation to Nebraska becuase of all the recent talk about Pac 10 expansion. It was suppose to be a 1-2 year process for the Big 10. In five years they'll probably be four megaconferences once the Big 12 and Big East are picked apart.

Just heard about this from Jeopardy the other night.  Those schools are going to get absolutely destroyed in the Big 10!
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2014 at 11:46pm
Congrats to Novak on winning Wimbledon. Would've loved to see Feds at 33 win another grand slam.
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
LeerroooyJenkins View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2014 at 12:31pm
A pretty unexciting British open this year.  Thought it was going to get closer at many points, but Rory just controlled that back 9 and kept his lead.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2014 at 12:39pm
I was a big fan of the BO this year, mainly because I'm a Rory guy.  I picked him to win a few weeks ago, so that helps too. LOL  

You know who is surprising the crap out of me though, is Rickie Fowler.  Three top 5's in the three majors this year.  Well done sir.
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2014 at 9:45am
Good lord.. this "we need to pay college football players" crap won't go away... 

Now the commisioner from the Big 12 is crying that the power 5 conferences shouldn't have to play by the same rules.

i can't stand these people.  Once again, free school (and more perks than you could ever dream of) isn't enough.  Borrowing from an internet meme: Just once I want to see the football team have to have a bake sale to travel.
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2014 at 10:17am
What if we just pay the college athletes, like interns, and don't give them the scholarships and perks? Make them pay for the lodging, food, tuition, transportation, equipment, medical care, and everything else like every other student. They work as an athlete, like their classmates who work at the local burger joint. If they have enough money leftover, then they can spend that on whatever they want. If they don't have enough, then they have to get their families to help or get a loan. Just like any other student.

I think the concept works, because the athlete are working for the school, who is earning a profit off them. Just like any other job, the company is earning a profit off its employees.
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2014 at 10:39am
Are they able to get scholarships for their grades then as well? That might motivate a few of the athletes to work a little harder in the classroom.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2014 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by HAVEN2135

Are they able to get scholarships for their grades then as well? That might motivate a few of the athletes to work a little harder in the classroom.

Yeah, I think they should be eligible for academic scholarships just like any other student. Basically, they should be treated as a normal student and they can get a job, and their job is to play sports for the school. If they have an academic scholarship, they still get paid the same amount to "work" for the school like other student athletes, they'll just need to pay less for other expenses because they have an academic scholarship that helps them pay for school.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2014 at 12:49pm
^^ Both really good ideas.  To Lightning's idea: an "intern" type thing would also help with the big issue of profit sharing.  Only a few (if any) sports on campus are profitable.  

I know a lot of big time college football players are like, "you're selling my jersey with my name on it... and i get squat??"

So, I get it... but those guys who "make the money" are few and far between.  There's a lot of athletes that don't make a penny (and end up costing a lot) for the University.  
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Quote barnyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2014 at 7:37am
Come on Giants, win again!  I hate seeing the Dodgers in first.
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Quote barnyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2014 at 7:17am
and the giants lose again Angry
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2014 at 7:25pm
Man U vs Real Madrid was an amazing atmosphere at the Big House. Still not what it is in Europe, but it was a lot of fun. 
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2014 at 2:31pm
Tough break for Ohio state. Tougher break for Braxton Miller.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
JoeyGlazer View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote JoeyGlazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2014 at 5:14am
The Little League World Series is fun to watch, especially with a team from Chicago reaching the U.S. Championship game against Las Vegas.  Vegas beat Chicago earlier in the tournament but the Chicago team has bonded and become stronger through the tournament.  Should be a good game tomorrow.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2014 at 10:22am
I think the LLWS is unfair to the international teams. The US gets a team in the championship no matter how bad they are. The international teams have to beat every other country, just to play the US. And the US usually doesn't win, even when they get to have a team in the championship every year. I think they should mix up the elimination rounds between the US and international  teams. That way, only the best teams advance. I'm guessing that would take the US out just about every year. Embarrassing for the host country? Yes. But it's fair.
Local
Local

Quote JoeyGlazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2014 at 12:11pm
^ Look at it from this perspective, each country sends a team that was selected from the entire country.  The U.S. has 8 teams competing to get to the championship game, not 1 all-star team from the entire country.  Think about the powerhouse team the U.S. can put on the field if they put together a team of the best players from the entire country... I don't think the international teams would win as many LLWS titles.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2014 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by JoeyGlazer

^ Look at it from this perspective, each country sends a team that was selected from the entire country.  The U.S. has 8 teams competing to get to the championship game, not 1 all-star team from the entire country.  Think about the powerhouse team the U.S. can put on the field if they put together a team of the best players from the entire country... I don't think the international teams would win as many LLWS titles.

Actually, not all countries send a team of selected all-stars. Taiwan, for example, sends in local teams that have played through rounds and rounds of different tournaments from the city/county/regional/national/international regional levels. Much like how the US teams get selected.

If you look at the Taiwanese teams that have made it to the championship game (I'm not able to find a complete list of all teams that Taiwan has sent to the LLWS), you'll see that they came from different cities and/or counties. So, the team they send to the LLWS is not an all-star team.

Japan's team is also not an all-star team. They also have local tournaments until they crown a national champion that gets to compete at the LLWS.

The US already gets 8 teams, the same number of entries as the rest of the world. The rest of the world have to basically win their continent to get in. And the US is guaranteed a spot in the championship game. I just think that the entire set up is unfair to the international teams and favors the US teams way too much.

I think Japan and Korea are the 2 best teams in the tournament this year by a landslide. But, one of them won't get a chance to play for the championship simply because of the way the LLWS is designed. By the way, I think Taiwan might have the 3rd best team in the LLWS if they were in, but the Asian Pacific Region doesn't get 8 teams in the tournament...
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2014 at 7:40am
It is in US's favor for sure.  But it is a tournament so everybody has their chance, once they get in the tournament.  
Local
Local

Quote JoeyGlazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2014 at 4:25pm
lightning80 must have the inside scoop, he's connected.

South Korea defeats Illinois by a score of 8-4.  It wasn't even as close as the score may indicate, South Korea controlled the game form the start.
ryanthony View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ryanthony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2014 at 4:21am
i need my jays to make a bit of a run to try ad get that wild card spot
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2014 at 8:09am
Caught some 2nd round action of the US Open last night. Great tennis from both Raonic and Bouchard but need to clean things up. They both tend to get sloppy and let their opponents back in it.
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2014 at 5:37pm
The AL race should be interesting in September. The second wild card spot will be tight. 
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2014 at 12:15am
After a horrible season last year, Cal Bears get a big road win.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
Local
Local

Quote JoeyGlazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2014 at 7:30am
The first week of college football is typically full of non-conference blowouts.  Some are entertaining, some are quite boring.

I would have enjoyed seeing OK State U beat FSU but FSU survives and wins 37-31.

HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2014 at 8:47pm
Tim Howard getting in Costa's face was amazing.  I thought we were gonna have some hockey in a soccer game.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2014 at 8:26pm
Oh womens tennis is just awesome! Wish my girl Wozniacki didnt destroy her opponent so quickly. Embarrassed
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2014 at 2:00pm

The first week of college football is typically full of non-conference blowouts.  Some are entertaining, some are quite boring.

I would have enjoyed seeing OK State U beat FSU but FSU survives and wins 37-31.

I agree, I need one of those weeks where 8 of the top 15 teams get upset.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2014 at 9:49am
Classic match last night between Djokovic and Murray. It's looking like a Djokovic/Federer showdown.
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2014 at 10:10am
As always I'd love to see Federer win another, but the odds are stacked against him when he is staring across at Djokovic.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2014 at 9:37am
Missed a huge comeback by Federer over Monfils couple days ago. Had to watch to packers get thumped instead.

Djokovic having a tough time in the heat and against nishikori.
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2014 at 6:09pm
Wow both Federer and Djokovic get knocked out of the semis! Hopefully it'll be an entertaining finals.
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2014 at 6:09am
Brady Hoke has a lot of work to do if he doesn't want to lose his job at the end of the season. 
Local
Local

Quote JoeyGlazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2014 at 6:34am
Originally posted by HAVEN2135

Brady Hoke has a lot of work to do if he doesn't want to lose his job at the end of the season. 

That was a primetime college football complete failure.  ND totally dominated Michigan.  The Big 10 (or Big 12, 13 14...) looked terrible last night.  Virginia Tech beat #8 Ohio State 35-21, #3 Oregon beat #7 Michigan State 46-27, Nebraska had to rally late to beat McNeese State, Northern Illinois beats Northwestern 23-15... need I go on?
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2014 at 10:02am
^^ The feeble 10 is a joke this year.  wow!

The bright spot was that Nebraska held on for a win... at home... against a so so FCS team.

LOL
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2014 at 7:43am
Michigan is so down, I don't think they can do anything better than Brady Hoke right now.  They better ride him out.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2014 at 9:37am
Somebody should start a NCAA football thread...

Longhorns got worked by the Mormons...it was not pretty...
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2014 at 8:20am
I always expect BYU to be bad and chalk up the previous years to success to either the graduating seniors or luck.  And I'm always wrong.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2014 at 10:19am
Terrible slate of College games this weekend.  I usually watch all day on saturdays, but I don't think there is a single game I am excited about this week.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2014 at 11:31am
Georgia / Clemson?? ish??? 

It's kind of a must win for Georgia if they want to get far.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2014 at 1:17pm
And for me Oregon State is on a bye and Oregon is playing Wyoming.  So I don't even have home teams to cheer for/root against
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2014 at 1:19pm
I've played the feign interest in Georgia's potential game for a long time.  If they don't blow this one, there are two more they'll blow at some point.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2014 at 2:51pm
I had some hope for the Longhorns with the new coach..but after the BYU blowout..and now facing UCLA this weekend...I think their season is done...Cry
Local
Local

Quote JoeyGlazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2014 at 7:36am
Some good upsets in college football yesterday:

Boston College upsets #9 USC, Doug Flutie steps in as QB and engineers the game winning drive.

#24 South Carolina upsets #6 Georgia, 38-35.

Unranked East Carolina upsets #17 Virginia Tech, 28-21.

Unranked Virginia defeats #21 Louisville, 23-21.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2014 at 10:33am
Well that's that... can we quit saying Georgia is going to be a "big deal" every year... and then have them crap the bed every year??
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2014 at 1:56pm
If feel the hype is unfounded almost to Notre dame standards
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2014 at 4:06pm
No surprise Team USA won the tourney. A team of the best pros playing against a bunch of amateurs and semi-pros from other countries. That's fair.
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
Local
Local

Quote JoeyGlazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2014 at 5:29pm
^ Not even sure why the U.S. participates.  They should put together a team of the best college players to represent the country.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2014 at 11:28am

^ Not even sure why the U.S. participates.  They should put together a team of the best college players to represent the country.

US NBA players participate, because there's still a sense of patriotism and national pride, thankfully. Yes, the US usually dominates, but it's because of the 1st couple "Dream Teams" that the NBA has grown on an international scale. And that means more $$ for the NBA and subsequently for the players.

On sending on college players, the US would not be competitive. Because the other countries are still sending their pro-players from the NBA, Euro leagues, Asian Leagues, etc.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2014 at 1:52pm
Lots of times the host country can put in riders about stars performing.  it gets locals to come out o the games, and the stars get to be stars in new markets.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2014 at 3:02pm
It's funny seeing American players playing for other countries. The "special" citizenship thing is a joke. I mean, Andre Blatche was playing for the Philippines? LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 143144145146>