K2 Cinch CTX bindings

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
onefiftysix View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote onefiftysix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: K2 Cinch CTX bindings
    Posted: Apr/08/2009 at 10:59am
Originally posted by stopbanningme

Originally posted by onefiftysix

Originally posted by jimmyjammy

i wouldn't trust a complicated k2 bindings as far as i could throw it. their entire auto line had to be recalled last year, no other snowboard company has had to recall an entire product line before. this happened because the jarden bean counters wanted them to cut corners in the production costs. avoid at all costs.

go ahead and "assume" they worked the kinks out if you're feeling lucky

Actually there haven't been any problems with this years Autos and Auto Evers. K2 has solved last years problem in regards to their Autos. By the way, the ENTIRE Auto line of last year consisted of one binding. And what do you mean by the jarden bean counters?

the entire line = all of the bindings, every single auto that was made.
the bean counters are the guys who run the show, the jarden accountants who know nothing about snowboarding but make the decisions based solely on cost. thats how mistakes like this happen. ask yourself how this could have came about and wether you are willing to *trust* them. or do you work for them anyway?

First off let me correct you on a few things. An ENTIRE LINE does not mean every single product/item. A line (in regards to products) is a category or series, much like Burton has their AK line, Ronin line, or Shaun White line. Or Sessions has their Summit, Ridge, or Terrain line. According to your definition, it would be like saying all of Burton's All-Mountain line sucks (that would include every single Vapor, T6, Custom X, etc.) which obviously isn't the case. So, when I said the entire Auto line consisted of 1 binding, that means there is only 1 type of binding in the Auto series, or (you guessed it), line. As far as making decisions based on costs, last years Autos was a brand new concept, much like this past years Ride Contrabands.There is always going to be the possibility of problems with new products based on new ideas. The recall happened just to replace the cable with a piece thats like a 4 way flex point. Also if the cable did break the heel ladder would pop off. The cables used are similar to BOA cables and it had nothing to do with cost cutting or quality, but from being stepped on too much causing fraying. And, do I work for K2? No. Would I trust their Auto series line(which consists of 2 different bindings) this year? Yes. My friend who owns a shop (not some POS shop that has like 10 customers) has sold a sh*t load of Autos this year and not one has come back because of quality issues or cables breaking. 
stopbanningme View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote stopbanningme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2009 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by JMSM512

Besides making easier to strap in, are there any other benefits to these bindings?  Are they responsive, or as responsive as a normal binding?

I guess I don't see the benefit of saving a few seconds and the possible trouble of sitting down if it compromises the effectiveness of the binding.
they ride fine, everyone is hung up on "responsiveness" but heres a secret, that term means NOTHING. the downside is more moving parts and a complicated mechanical aparatus that creates many more potential can i help you fix this thread? pm meure points. these bindings (as well as flows) are designed to appeal to the beginner snowboarder who percieves a lack of convinience and or people with back or flexibillity issues.
stopbanningme View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote stopbanningme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2009 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by onefiftysix

i wouldn't trust a complicated k2 bindings as far as i could throw it. their entire auto line had to be recalled last year, no other snowboard company has had to recall an entire product line before. this happened because the jarden bean counters wanted them to cut corners in the production costs. avoid at all costs.

Actually there haven't been any problems with this years Autos and Auto Evers. K2 has solved last years problem in regards to their Autos. By the way, the ENTIRE Auto line of last year consisted of one binding. And what do you mean by the jarden bean counters?

the entire line = all of the bindings, every single auto that was made.
the bean counters are the guys who run the show, the jarden accountants who know nothing about snowboarding but make the decisions based solely on cost. thats how mistakes like this happen. ask yourself how this could have came about and wether you are willing to *trust* them. or do you work for them anyway?
B7ack B0y View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote B7ack B0y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2009 at 3:40pm
to be honest hears my opinon of the flows, and i have my own pair so yea

1. i got the 07/08s, and let me tell you, who ever says weight doesn't matter obviously has no idea how much these things way. One of my bindings alone weight 1.5x times my board, so puttings two on, keeps you reallll heavy, and makes jumps real difficult.

2. Like i said i had this since 07, so i've gotten pretty used to them but in the beginning strapping issues were major annoyances. Your first time around the block it might take you roughly 20 seconds to a minitue to get used to it, but now im locked in within 5 seconds of the lift, just boot in, and pull the backlatch up. the toe straps are gonna be major annoyances as they ALWAYS ride up and rest on the top of you foot

3. Back to weight issues, i kinda grew up on these bindings so when i demo'ed out a pair of cartels i got the full meaning of when people say "you may loose some response". still to be completly honest, if i never rode the cartels, i may have never really realized, and i got the sickest ollies on the park either way :P

In my opinon about em, if i had the choice to buy again, i would not, there just way to damn heavy, and there basically created to latch in a bit quicker, but at what cost. stick with the good ol' fashion strap ins buddy
JMSM512 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote JMSM512 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2009 at 11:50am
Besides making easier to strap in, are there any other benefits to these bindings?  Are they responsive, or as responsive as a normal binding?

I guess I don't see the benefit of saving a few seconds and the possible trouble of sitting down if it compromises the effectiveness of the binding.
scottlui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote scottlui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2009 at 11:44am
I tried these out for a day last week... I like the design and I think they are definately made and designed well but I couldn't get used to them. I kept unstrapping them when I didn't need to. I'm sure if i had more days on them I'd get used to it. I have a friend who uses cinch's and he's in and out very quickly. The backs are a little low and stiff. I prefer softer feeling straps and flexier hibacks, so these weren't for me. 
onefiftysix View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote onefiftysix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2009 at 11:35am

jimmyjammy View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote jimmyjammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2009 at 7:35am

shagwag3n View Drop Down
Local
Local
Duck of Death

Quote shagwag3n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2009 at 7:01am
was looking at these as well but have come to the conclusion that if i'm going to go k2, it'll be the autos.
my images won't show up dammit
JPhillips531 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote JPhillips531 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2009 at 6:49am
My friend had the flow styled K2 bindings and hates them because is foot fell out twice before because the wire thing came loose.
[URL=http://rossignol.searchpluswin.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=312583][IMG]http://prodegebanners.sitegrip.com/images/rossignol-468x60.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Bstill View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Bstill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2009 at 5:54am
I have the CTL's and I love them! For me they feel like like a ratchet Binding but with an easy in/out option. They can be used as traditional bindings as well which is what makes them so unique.

Oh yeah no more sitting down!
Peace, Love & Powder
espnsportsfan View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote espnsportsfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2008 at 6:39pm
i have flows and regular bindings but im thinking of picking up the autos now to see if they are a better combination of both
Boards: Sierra Crew 155, Burton Dominant 155 Bindings: Flow NXT-AT, Union Datas Boots: 32 Prion
ridesnowboarder View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Signal Park Rocker

Quote ridesnowboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2008 at 5:11pm
I want to try these out
Civicforever View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
mx5

Quote Civicforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2008 at 5:06pm
Autos strap the toe strap down as you do the ankle strap. Like...the toe one will automatically come down as you do the ankle strap
SunFish View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote SunFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2008 at 4:55pm
So, how do the Autos differ from the Cinches?
''Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional''..............          +18/-12 degrees goofy . Burton Hero 152 and Triad EST,    Burton Dominant 146 and P1.1
Jdsimmons2 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Jdsimmons2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2008 at 8:54am
Kimchi has got it down.   He knows his shat.

Personally though, i stick with burton and union bindings
arsenic0 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
NS Whore

Quote arsenic0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2008 at 8:30am
A friend is looking at getting Auto's for no other reason than strapping in his toe strap is a PITA because of his gut :)
kimchijajonshim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2008 at 8:25am
My beef with them is two fold.

First, they jump through a lot of hoops in order to get you into the binding.  One of the problems with Flows is that if the straps are loose enough for you to easily remove and insert your foot via the rear-entry mechanism, there is no way you are getting the response and support of traditional straps.  It's just not happening.  With Cinches, to get around that, they have a hinge system on the binding that cases the straps to lift upwards when you lower the highback, so can still crank down on the straps.  It's great in theory, but it adds a ton of cost (so you get a lot less binding for your money), has a lot of parts to potentially break, and looks like it would get iced and jammed extremely easily.  Plus it adds weight (although I don't think that matters too much personally).

Second, if you have a quality binding and have any sense of balance and coordination, it's not that shtooking difficult to strap in quickly (and if you lack the second element, you probably shouldn't be snowboarding).  On average I say it takes me 15-20 seconds to strap in.  When I had Flows, it probably took me maybe 5-10... the compromise was not worth 10 seconds.

Flows you at least have the element of potentially more comfort if you have problems with traditional straps, due to the 1-piece strap distributing pressure over a larger surface area.  With Cinches, you don't even get that benefit.  If you like Flows, stick with the Flows.  If you want to try a more traditional convenience binder, again, AUTOS.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
dcdomain View Drop Down
Local
Local
Citizen Chan

Quote dcdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2008 at 4:32am
I remember the first year they were out, they had a ton of issues and it was heavy as hell. I assume they must've worked out the kinks by now. Don't know which Flows you are on, but the Cinch might be a tad bit lighter than your Flows.

But yeah, as Kimchi suggested, look at the Autos.
Jdsimmons2 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Jdsimmons2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2008 at 3:53am
From what i can tell about Cinches from looking at my Boss's is that they actually have a heel cup and a high back that rest on the heel cup.   So, IMO the possibility of loss of response because there isn't a heel cuz is gone.

I haven't ridden them, but here is what i think about them, they look like a hybrid between regular bindings because they have straps that you crank down and a heelcup and Flow type bindings because they have the reclining hiback that allows easy boot entry from the back
kimchijajonshim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2008 at 7:13pm
Autos.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
SunFish View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote SunFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2008 at 5:30pm
Anybody had experience with K2 Cinch CTX , or any Cinch, bindings? I have Flows and thought about trying these too. Thanks.
''Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional''..............          +18/-12 degrees goofy . Burton Hero 152 and Triad EST,    Burton Dominant 146 and P1.1
 Post Reply Post Reply