Extra 10-20% off select Purchases
More Info - Join Now
1 Staff | 13 Members
Live Chat
trusnow
Powered by 386,717 Members
Shopping Forum Out of Stock
username or email password
 Forum Home > SNOWBOARDS > Travel, Resorts & Regional Riders > East Coast Riders

Quick Login: Forgot password?

7 Springs

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Nate042 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nate042 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7 Springs
    Posted: Jan/17/2009 at 11:34am
Anyone hear ride springs?
Pis4PIR8 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Toofpik

Quote Pis4PIR8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2009 at 10:08am
Sometimes.  Haven't yet this season but am definitely looking into it.
Nate042 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Nate042 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2009 at 10:25am
O cool, you should def check it out this year. They added a new park this year which is really nice, long mellow runs with a lot of hits if you're into riding park.
Blofgren10 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Blofgren10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2009 at 7:31am
been there three times this season im thinkin bout headin up there next weekend

cswenson21 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote cswenson21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2009 at 10:57am
It can be pretty crowded.  Great time to go would be during the superbowl with all the Pittsburgh fans watchin TV!  It's not a great mountain to learn on since most of the easy slopes are pretty narrow, but tons of terrain.  Also, affordable, good food at the outside grill (and they got beers!).  If there's been good snow though, think about Blue Mountain.  It has the most vert drop in PA, but the snowmaking stinks.
always wear a helmet
Nate042 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Nate042 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2009 at 4:03pm
Honestly, I'd much rather snowboard at 7 Springs than at Blue Mountain when there is snow. True that Blue Mountain is bigger but Blue does not have the tree runs like springs. Within an hour or two all the fresh  snow is already ridden. I was at 7 Springs last night after it snowed during the day, probably 4-6 inches, and I found fresh tracks throughout the whole night. I do agree with you that Blue's snowmaking is terrible and trail wise Blue is much better. Blue's park and pretty much any park in eastern Pa is better than 7 springs.
cswenson21 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote cswenson21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2009 at 6:14am
Originally posted by Nate042

Honestly, I'd much rather snowboard at 7 Springs than at Blue Mountain when there is snow. True that Blue Mountain is bigger but Blue does not have the tree runs like springs. Within an hour or two all the fresh  snow is already ridden. I was at 7 Springs last night after it snowed during the day, probably 4-6 inches, and I found fresh tracks throughout the whole night. I do agree with you that Blue's snowmaking is terrible and trail wise Blue is much better. Blue's park and pretty much any park in eastern Pa is better than 7 springs.

Good point.  Seven Springs does have good tree runs but they are denser than I like.  I need to go with someone who really knows the mountain to find the best ones.
always wear a helmet
Nate042 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Nate042 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2009 at 9:17am
Originally posted by cswenson21

Good point.  Seven Springs does have good tree runs but they are denser than I like.  I need to go with someone who really knows the mountain to find the best ones.

Yea i understand what you are talking about here. There are a lot of good spots on the mountain but most of them aren't out in the open so a lot of people miss them. I found new places all the time when riding there. I'd recommend the north face of the mountain when it snows, much better spots over there.
jeffukmd View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote jeffukmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2009 at 1:23pm
love the north face of 7 springs.  Hadn't been there since i moved from pittsburgh 2 years ago.
Dooley View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Dooley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2009 at 2:37pm
I boarded at 7 springs this year during the second week of january and let me tell you...it was FREEZING.

I don't think i ever boarded in such a cold weather before.

My jacket was literally iced from head to toe within a minute of stepping out.
spb122005 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote spb122005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2009 at 4:54pm
Ya man springs is nice. I actually used to instruct there last season. Very nice mountain. 
Wait... I did what?
kgav View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote kgav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2009 at 5:34am
I ride at springs a few times a week...In terms of making do with what they have, springs is pretty legit. Park-wise definitely the best in the area (though I do agree--eastern PA has some sick parks), and you just need to know where on the mountain to go for the stashes and tree riding.
Nate042 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Nate042 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2009 at 12:09pm

Yea their parks are fun to ride but I wish they would space out the hits on the alley and put longer rails/boxes. Everything is pretty small and you need to go so slow to hit most of the stuff. Overall though, its a fun park that has nice flow to it for taking lots of laps through it and they have the spot open so there are more options now. Their parks are also maintained very well and the park scene is very chill at springs compared to other mountains.
kgav View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote kgav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2009 at 7:27pm

Yea their parks are fun to ride but I wish they would space out the hits on the alley and put longer rails/boxes. Everything is pretty small and you need to go so slow to hit most of the stuff. Overall though, its a fun park that has nice flow to it for taking lots of laps through it and they have the spot open so there are more options now. Their parks are also maintained very well and the park scene is very chill at springs compared to other mountains.

I suppose I'm biased towards springs because it's my home mountain, I know lots of people there, blah blah blah. I'm interested to see what north park has to offer, tomorrow's looking to be a good day condition-wise. Definitely a chill scene because most of the skiers are friends with most of the snowboarders, and most of the older people are friends with the younger kids.
PIST 08/09
Nate042 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Nate042 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2009 at 3:53am
Ha yea i understand what you are talking about. I was almost going to add in that I might be critiquing 7 springs too hard because I compare it to my home mountains which I'll obviously feel more attached to and probably favor. I always have a good time though at springs and i'll be up there tonight riding.
kgav View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote kgav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2009 at 3:59am

Ha yea i understand what you are talking about. I was almost going to add in that I might be critiquing 7 springs too hard because I compare it to my home mountains which I'll obviously feel more attached to and probably favor. I always have a good time though at springs and i'll be up there tonight riding.

Well maybe I will see you there! Look for a girl wearing a white jacket, fur hood, black pants, black helmet, and rolling with a bunch of guys. About to leave in a half hour, should be a good session today.
PIST 08/09
Nate042 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Nate042 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2009 at 4:11am
Alright sounds good, well i'll be up there not to 4/5 if your still there. I'll have a white jacket with brown/tan stripes, tan pants, and a very bright board so say hey if you spot me.
Nate042 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Nate042 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2009 at 7:00pm
Springs tonight was alright snow condition wise, mixed of decent snow with patches of ice here and there but it was a night session and the wind blew a lot of snow around. Parks were in pretty good condition and the North Park is really fun and has some nice jibs/rails that the other parks are missing. I just wish they would have had the tow rope going to lap the park a lot more and session out hits without hiking. Parks are a lot more well rounded now with the north  park and gives lots of options for any park style.
kgav View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote kgav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2009 at 8:42am

Springs tonight was alright snow condition wise, mixed of decent snow with patches of ice here and there but it was a night session and the wind blew a lot of snow around. Parks were in pretty good condition and the North Park is really fun and has some nice jibs/rails that the other parks are missing. I just wish they would have had the tow rope going to lap the park a lot more and session out hits without hiking. Parks are a lot more well rounded now with the north  park and gives lots of options for any park style.

It was SO windy yesterday....North Park was fine but not worth hiking and DEFINITELY not worth lapping via north pole lift. I just wish:

-the Alley had longer hits and bigger jumps.
-North park would have jumps, and the rope running more often.
-the Spot would have better lines instead of either rails or jumps.
-both pipes were not so ICY!

First half of January was so so so nice, got spoiled, now I'm sick of springs. Happens every year.
PIST 08/09
Nate042 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Nate042 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2009 at 9:20am
Yea, i pretty much agree with all of your points about those three parks. The top of the spot with the rails is so tightly packed together and doesn't flow that well. I don't know why they have either rail line or jump line. Make it more slopestyle with some rails at tops going in to a jump line or just blend the two together better than just having two totally separate areas.
kgav View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote kgav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2009 at 1:58pm
Supposedly next year they are changing the location of some stuff. Not sure WHICH stuff, but it might be the big jumps. Putting them back on north face where nastar is now. I think that would be great. Right now the second jump in the spot is waaaayyyy too easy to overshoot because of how steep that hill is.
PIST 08/09
Nate042 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Nate042 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2009 at 4:52pm
O well that sounds good. Both weeks that I have been up since they built those jumps it way icy and everything was hardpack so I can't really comment that much on them but I was surprised that the second jump wasn't bigger. For their big park, a 42 foot jump isn't that big and it looks like you can get enough speed off of the first to clear something bigger especially since you say the second jump is easy to overshoot. The steepness of the hill seems good if they build much bigger jumps.
kgav View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote kgav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2009 at 5:16pm
Like you said, looks like you can get enough speed off the first one to clear something bigger...I overshot it last...Monday? and got enough speed to clear at least a 60-footer. I've seen so many people do the same thing. Not fun, tweaked my back and bruised or possibly broke some ribs.
PIST 08/09
Nate042 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Nate042 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2009 at 5:36pm
Oh that sucks about hurting your ribs. How is the first jump speed wise for clearing it? Should they make that one bigger too about the size of the second one now and make the next one in the 50-60 foot range. For their premier park, they should have some bigger jumps. The only other mountains i've been to this year Blue Mountain and Big Boulder both had bigger jumps, especially Big Boulder which has a legit big jump line.
kgav View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote kgav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2009 at 5:45pm
The day that happened was last Monday when it was warm spring conditions and I was straight lining the first jump and clearing it perfectly...went from that to the second jump with a couple speed checks and ended up having waaaaay too much speed. The first one's size is pretty perfect but the second one needs to be way longer.

I rode Blue and Boulder two weekends ago, Blue's jump line was nice as was all of Upper Sidewinder. Boulder's Love park's jump line was soooooo fun....the jumps in Boulder park (the biggest ones, i think thats what that park is called...) were huuuugeeeee and kinda intimidating but I am headed there again next weekend and might go for it.

Talking about jumping like this makes me want to ride so bad. Jumps were too icy yesterday so I haven't hit any in almost two weeks :(
PIST 08/09
Nate042 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Nate042 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2009 at 6:07pm
Alright, friday will be my last day at springs this season and its suppose to be warmer so i hope I can hit the jumps in the spot. During spring break, I'll be back at Blue and Boulder. I really like Sidewinder because it flows so well with the rail/box line up top to the jump line after the first turn followed by some more jibs and a jump after the second turn. After that you get the little boarder cross trail and the beginner park so you end up with 3 park runs in one and then hit up a high speed lift to lap it all day. blue is my home mountain and i live about 10 minutes away so i will always favor it. With boulder, when I was up they didn't have the jumps on love yet but they did have the jumps on Boulder. Those jumps are huge and intimidating like you said especially the last one.
Nate042 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Nate042 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2009 at 3:57pm
Hey kgav, do you have any update on the parks, condition wise? Did they add that third jump yet and how are the jumps in the spot? I'll be up Friday and they want rain and above freezing so I'm hoping everything should be softened up. Thanks for any news you have...
kgav View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote kgav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2009 at 4:08pm

Hey kgav, do you have any update on the parks, condition wise? Did they add that third jump yet and how are the jumps in the spot? I'll be up Friday and they want rain and above freezing so I'm hoping everything should be softened up. Thanks for any news you have...

I rode last friday and then monday...Friday was so windy and kind of icy, didn't ride a whole lot of park because nothing was good...Monday I rode powder and trees, but took a couple spot runs...third jump wasn't there at that point, I have a feeling it's not going to happen without a bit more snow. If stuff softens up it should all be decent.
PIST 08/09
Nate042 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Nate042 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2009 at 4:20pm
Alright thanks for the update, yea i heard about building a third jump but figured they wouldn't have enough snow to build it. I'm hoping for a soft day on Friday, i want to ride some spring conditions and not have to worry about falling on a hardpacked icy jump. Are you going to Big Boulder with pist this weekend?
kgav View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote kgav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2009 at 5:03pm
Yes sir I am. I am getting burnt out on springs' parks but i do want to ride park so boulder it is.
PIST 08/09
Nate042 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Nate042 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2009 at 5:26pm
O good call, if this trip was any other week I would have defiantly gotten on it but too much work/tests next week. I really wanted to do this trip to ride with mikey because I use to always talk about big boulder with him but it wasn't made to be. At least I can get up there during break. 
kgav View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote kgav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2009 at 5:30pm
Yeah he's going on this trip I believe...I was at Boulder the first weekend of February, it was fun and will be even better with a bunch of pist people.

I have two tests next Tuesday but I care about snowboarding more. Plus I have mondays off and can study then.
PIST 08/09
Nate042 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Nate042 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2009 at 5:37pm
Yea, i just talking about it with him today and he said he's excited to go. If my ochem test on wed didn't determine if i pass or fail the class, i'd probably go but i really do not want to repeat the class. Atleast I'll get to ride one day at springs. Have fun though, should be a good time.
Nate042 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Nate042 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2009 at 4:52pm
Just got back from 7 springs(2/27/09), the mountain was empty and conditions were bad. Not icy but bare spots here and large puddles of water all over the mountain. Half of the front face was closed. The alley was closed and the parks weren't in that great of condition. As the night went on, the fog rolled in and the rain left. The rain/fog is really going to hurt them but it's going to get colder so hopefully they can blow some snow.
kgav View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote kgav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2009 at 5:39pm
Ugh. Springs has been a disappointment lately for the most part. Which is why I'm glad I'm going to be able to avoid it until after st pattys day...thank god for spring break.
PIST 08/09
Nate042 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Nate042 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2009 at 6:06pm
Yea it is disappointing, i love snowboarding but the past couple weeks I feel kind of bored riding there. The conditions have been bad lately when i was up so that might have a large part to do with it. I'm ready to ride some other mountains. Are you going on a trip west/north during spring break?
kgav View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote kgav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2009 at 11:21pm
Yeah I'm heading to summit county, riding keystone and breck and wherever else I end up.
PIST 08/09
heischjr View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote heischjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2009 at 8:27am
7springs park was nasty this year.
 Post Reply Post Reply