stance width

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
herbbread View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote herbbread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stance width
    Posted: Jan/19/2009 at 3:32pm
how are you supposed to measure stance width for bindings?  is measuring from the center of one binding to the center of the other the way to do it?

also, what's a normal stance width for someone who's 5'9", 145lbs?  i know it's supposed to just be comfortable, but are there different widths for different types of riding?
shred the pow View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
rail

Quote shred the pow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2009 at 4:38pm
Hey i believe that it is from the center of your base plate in the middle of your binding. As for stances there all different. It basically depends on your riding skill and what you like to ride. Powder pipe park groomers. If youre just starting out Id try a 15 degree in the front and about a 7 in the back. If you really want to feel comfortable with your stance your gonna need to spend half a day riding trying all different widths apart for the bindings. It takes some work to get it good. Hve fun and good luck! Paul
gempesaw View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
panda!

Quote gempesaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2009 at 5:16pm
Yep, it's measured from the center of the baseplates. As for stance width, if you pick the right length board for your weight, the default width is a good starting point. You can put your bindings and boots on and strap into your board in your living room to see how it feels, and adjust it to be wider or narrower as needed, but nothing's going to replace testing it out on the snow.

Wider stances should be more stable but it'll be more difficult to transition between turns, and narrower stances would be the opposite.
herbbread View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote herbbread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2009 at 4:42am
Thanks for the help.  I've been riding a while, but I never actually got around to measuring my stance width or comparing to others.  Seems I'm at 21".

I actually found this site about stance fairly useful.  Some good info there:

http://legacy.cs.uu.nl/daan/snow/stance.html
volcomsnwbrdr7 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote volcomsnwbrdr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2009 at 6:54pm
it really depends what terrain your into. most freestyle people rock a wider stance.

billy
board_to_death View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote board_to_death Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2009 at 6:50am
riding wide stance, or "maximum thug," as I like to call it is good for park, but for general riding, it affects your ability to complete turns in carve.  It reduces the fore/aft pressure you can put on your board for the transition from initation to completion.

so you may either want to think about that if you are going to set up a quiver, or be more in the middle to handle either park or rocking groomers.
sleepercivic88 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote sleepercivic88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2009 at 3:41pm
I usally go a little wider than shoulder width.  Right now Im riding on the centers of the board becasue I have been doing alot of switch and stuff lately.  If your expecting powder move your backleg to the back and if your going to be doing carving and mougals try +1 up front.  Just mess around with it bindings are easy to move around.
aje917 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
mmMMMmm death dogs

Quote aje917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2010 at 1:10pm
it's all on what the style and comfort you are with you're riding it changes all the time and as you progress itll change even more.

Capita Stairmaster 159, k2 auto-uprise R- +15/-12, Ride Jackson boots
rquinn1017 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote rquinn1017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2011 at 8:49am
I agree that it is a lot about comfort. I did find this link and the based on the measurements my set up should be just how exactly how I set it up based on comfort.
http://67.19.252.171/node/15866
ilovewww View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ilovewww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2011 at 10:13am
IM 5'8 AND I PUT MY AT 23"
rem209 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote rem209 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2011 at 4:42am

I use the reference on my board. I ride a 149 and the reference on my board is 20". Someone once told me the reference stance optimizes board performance, but it's mostly about preference. Either way, I'd recommend the reference stance as at least a good place to start.

DazedDozer View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Tremblant

Quote DazedDozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2011 at 7:31am
I just put my bindings in the center. Its a balanced stance.
kirkalicious View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kirkalicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2011 at 7:49am
depends on what you're doing pow, freeride, etc.
Backflipmasterdana View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote Backflipmasterdana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2011 at 5:15am
The proper way to measure how wide your stance is to grab a tape measure, and measure from the bottom of your heel (outside of your foot) up to the middle of your knee. Now take this measurement and put it as centered as possible on your board. If the notches and inserts don't match up perfectly, go a little wider.

Either do that or just MAX your stance, only the coolest of riders do this. (not recommended if you have bad knees, max stance kills your knees... )
CLEE1013 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CLEE1013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2011 at 5:23am
Originally posted by Backflipmasterdana

The proper way to measure how wide your stance is to grab a tape measure, and measure from the bottom of your heel (outside of your foot) up to the middle of your knee. Now take this measurement and put it as centered as possible on your board. If the notches and inserts don't match up perfectly, go a little wider.

Either do that or just MAX your stance, only the coolest of riders do this. (not recommended if you have bad knees, max stance kills your knees... )

Big sarcasm?
watching-sunset View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote watching-sunset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2011 at 5:24am
you should usually have your legs on same width as your shoulders. If you go for freeriding your bindings should be moved closer to tail, if for common riding - in the center... basically there is no one right stance for all. It depends on how you ride and what feels more comfortable for you!
Push hard and you'll reach the top
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2011 at 8:15am
I prefer slightly set back. My board (2011 Rossignol Mag One) has a slightly set back stance. I set up my bindings in the corresponding holes front and back with +15 and -3. What's weird is that I feel like am actually to far forward on my board.

Would it be OK to only move the front binding back a notch leaving the back binding where it's at, so it's not actually centered where the board designers intended? I want to be a little further back off the nose but I do not want my stance much narrower then it is.

'10 Sierra Stunt - '11 Rossignol One Mag - '11 Rome Targa - '12 Forum Shaka - '11 K2 Maysis - '12 Ride Hi-Phy
Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Quote Marumm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2011 at 8:42am
The rule of thumb, I believe, is to measure from your bare foot to the top of your knee, and use that as a place to start from.  I'm 5'11" and ride a 23.5, sometimes a little shorter.  When I go wider, it tends to make my knees ache afterward.
Educator
Educator

Quote Backflipmasterdana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2011 at 10:18am
MrMeaty, I think you should spend a day just doing runs and playing around with your binding placements. Once you find the best spot that works for you, tighten up the bolts and remember how you placed them. I adjusted my stance and angles about 5-6 times one day to find what I liked the best.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2011 at 11:41am
Backflip...I defiantly will do that. Thinking of trying +12 instead of +15 up front.

What I'm concerned with is if it will mess up the geometry or ride of the board if I mount the front binding in hole 3 and the back binding in hole 2, instead of both bindings in hole 2.

Here's what I mean, say there are 8 sets of holes in the front and in the back. The widest stance would be sets 1 on both sides and the narrowest stance will be sets 8 on both sides. right now I have both bindings in set 3, so close to the middle. Is it OK to put the front binding in set 4 and the rear binding in set 3? So off centered?

I guess it would be similar to have a true twin board and then moveing one of the bindings back to make it ride more like a directional board.
'10 Sierra Stunt - '11 Rossignol One Mag - '11 Rome Targa - '12 Forum Shaka - '11 K2 Maysis - '12 Ride Hi-Phy
Educator
Educator

Quote Backflipmasterdana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2011 at 4:45am
I don't see any problem with that if it works for you. With a twintip board, you'll be more centred if you have a symmetrical stance. However, I don't really put too much emphasis on the details of how I set up my board. I've seen some pretty weird set ups that seemed to work for the person, nothing wrong with that!

At the end of the day, your riding skills and techniques will supercede any "non-proper" adjustments. I've never adjusted a high-back in my life, I never measure the stance, I don't even check my angles, I kinda just slap the bindings on where I think they should do and try it. If it doesn't feel right, I make little adjustments. Seems to work ok for me, I passed my level 3 instructor course with a dinky un-adjusted freestyle board. Just slap on those bindings and try it out, if it really feels weird and you don't like it, move them around. Practice and technique will make you a good rider, not well-adjusted bindings.
gamelessx25 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote gamelessx25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2011 at 11:55pm
For a few runs this season I tried bindings at it's widest point and had difficulty turning. When I put them both in one set on the front and back, it felt great and I stuck with this set up ever since. Play around see what works for you.
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2011 at 12:24am
You basically want to be slightly wider than your shoulder width when starting off. This is relatively close but will allow much easier turn initiation. As you progress, you'll probably want to make it wider but work your way up to that. I'm still tweaking out my optimal stance and trying different widths when I go hit the slopes. Wider stances allow for better balance, easier to stomp landings, and easier to press, but again, harder to turn, harder to do rotation jumps, and takes some getting used to.
JOIN ME @ THRIVE SNOWBOARDS! http://www.thrivesnowboards.com/rp/120169
bmorse View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bmorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2011 at 10:56am
Like fj5 said, everytime you ride, change it up a little and see what you like.  Even make a few notes at the end of the day about each width so you can remember later on which stance worked out best for you.  It's all personal prefrence.  I ride three different boards all year (pow, mountain, park).  The width is defferent on each of them.  Like others have said, for park I go wider, mountain a little less, and for pow I go a little less.  That's what works for me but might not work for others.  It took a few times playing around with each board to get it all squared away, but once I got each deck dialed in, I'm good to go.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2011 at 11:39am
Originally posted by bmorse

Like fj5 said, everytime you ride, change it up a little and see what you like.  Even make a few notes at the end of the day about each width so you can remember later on which stance worked out best for you.  It's all personal prefrence.  I ride three different boards all year (pow, mountain, park).  The width is defferent on each of them.  Like others have said, for park I go wider, mountain a little less, and for pow I go a little less.  That's what works for me but might not work for others.  It took a few times playing around with each board to get it all squared away, but once I got each deck dialed in, I'm good to go.

Writing things down would totally help because I can never remember what I tried the time before so I just tweak it however and see how it goes.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2011 at 11:39am
measure from center to center of the bindings.
as for specific stance width for specific conditions and/or riding, you need to figure that out yourself. its preference. see what works for you by making yourself change the setting after every few runs. for me, narrower stance, like 21in, is great for freeride. wider stance like 23in, is better for freestyle. i'm 5'10 125lbs. have fun.  
wlskatecrew View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote wlskatecrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2011 at 9:01am
its all about the particular board you are on. a "pre-determined" width is going to feel significantly different from board to board. even on boards that are the same lenth. boards are designed to be ridden at the refrence point. sidecut and flex are going to be most effective and have the best intended feel when at refrence. when buying a board this is something to look at. everybody is a little bit different which is why we have so many wonderfull boards to choose from.

personally i start at refrence then go from there.

another way to look at it would be when kids ask me to centermount thier directional twin skis. the kids ski will feel more balanced on rails and in the air, but on the rest of the mountain his skiing is going to suffer because his foot is ahead of the waist, and the ski wont turn like it is designed to.
kobe111 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote kobe111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2011 at 11:12pm

Pair the most important resource is star.onitsuka tige After the fourth as Wayne rooney the 8 ball, are heading into six goals aguero and zhe families, the second season running into two goals from the nine people, the two teams to have 4 people!!!!! Last Saturday, Wayne rooney at the reebok stadium for two wheels on his second hat-trick of the top, he for the seventh "hat", has he tied a sir bobby charlton club record. Small fat at present state fire, onitsuka tiger mexico 66the team two season started different parts. Mirror But Manchester united is by no means a person's team. At the reebok stadium, mohamed, don't let she ZhuanMei, even with his teammates in the new season two yuan for the first time last season, starting performance announced the god of the strong rebound level peas. The reds reinforcements quickly, the team this summer, for the new season only complete frequently and Manchester city jump start. The team England youth skeleton ASHLEY young, phil Jones, klein wally a than a wonderful, make people quickly forget Paul scholes retirement lost. In the controversy, onitsuka tiger mexico 66 lautaDE HeYa last week for a firm foothold, such as the new sealing zero.

Stars shine in Manchester. The new season, Manchester city, zhe first became hot debate anecdotal star. Bohemia to spurs senior pleased, let the premiership on finally see the bundesliga true material anticipates the tally. The chief ABU dhabi investment, development of a season on blue moon to breaking into the top three and win the fa cup as auxiliary, stepping over confidence bridge. This in turn attracts and a batch of heavyweight new addition to follow. They are now has completely into have the ability of two sets of strength is little squad, two line four major impact, even carlos tevez, kolo toure brother, Adam Johnson, nigel DE jong, ballot in May at any time in the most important game of degenerate into good teammates substitute, it is a piece of onitsuka tiger mexico 66 deluxejinyuan magic, this piece of magic, aguero Saturday's hat-trick, take on the front page of the wheel belong to zhe families.

The more questions, gap

The soldiers of the water made of the camp. When man city pair of high mountain running water, the blues the reds still must face princes, tactics and team director from time to time is a silver lining, and the gunners spurs this pair of London, with only fallen petal difficult to endure water heartless.

Liverpool to now from the beginning of 120 million, oh elk reinforcements, but the currently used conveniently only one. Suarez The red army the reds striker gap, and main from carol in onitsuka tiger mexico 66 baja
t-raddy View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote t-raddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2011 at 8:28am
So is it the wider it is...the easier it is to control?
kirkalicious View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kirkalicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2011 at 8:34am
Is a narrower or wider stance better for a beginner? e.g. like t-raddy said, easier to control?
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2011 at 8:40am
When in doubt, go for the middle, not too wide, not too narrow.  Wider is usually for freestyle, but if you're new to boarding then it may be a tad uncomfortable for you.  
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2011 at 8:42am
width is preference, always.

more mobility with a less wide stance, and most people agree a wider stance feels a little more "stable."  i think there are a lot of factors to stability and don't like a very wide stance.

but again, if you can be perfectly stable on a short, small board that can roll out from under you, with a stance that's 18" or less (aka skateboard), then why do we consider something like 21" in snowboarding to be narrow?  trends.

try different stances and figure it out on your own, cause there is no actual answer to be given.  if there really were "best" stances for certain things, we'd all be riding the same way.
andyc5315 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote andyc5315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2011 at 8:59am
Originally posted by Marumm

The rule of thumb, I believe, is to measure from your bare foot to the top of your knee, and use that as a place to start from. 

+1 This is how your suppose to get a start then you can adjust from there.
Worst I had was wonderful.
ktown View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote ktown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2011 at 9:01am
just do whats comfortable. theres nobody to say if bigger is better or smaller is better. its what your comfortable with 
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2011 at 9:10am
I tried a wider stance this season on my rocker board cuase I was going to try rails for the first time.  Just felt off.  Guess my legs are to short.  Also was much more difficult to jump and ollie.  pulled them both in just one notch and felt SO MUCH better.  Guess I'm too used to skateboarding, so I agree with spenser on that point.  my stance isn't super narrow, but it's comfortable now for jumps and boxes as well as just cruizing the groomers...
bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bootleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2011 at 9:58am
Originally posted by herbbread

how are you supposed to measure stance width for bindings? is measuring from the center of one binding to the center of the other the way to do it?

also, what's a normal stance width for someone who's 5'9", 145lbs? i know it's supposed to just be comfortable, but are there different widths for different types of riding

this how i measure it, from the center of the binding base plates to the other which is right
As for normal stance i wouldn't say there's default setting stance i think most people have the bindings ranging from 22,23,24 inches apart depending on what type of riding there doing, skill level,and what's comfortable for them but it varies on the rider's preference. I personally ride a wide ducky stance at 24 inches for park/freestyle which offers me more control of the board during turning transitions and 23 inches apart while i'm bombing hills and carving with a +13 degree's out /-o
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2011 at 10:27am
Originally posted by spenser

width is preference, always.

more mobility with a less wide stance, and most people agree a wider stance feels a little more "stable."  i think there are a lot of factors to stability and don't like a very wide stance.

but again, if you can be perfectly stable on a short, small board that can roll out from under you, with a stance that's 18" or less (aka skateboard), then why do we consider something like 21" in snowboarding to be narrow?  trends.

try different stances and figure it out on your own, cause there is no actual answer to be given.  if there really were "best" stances for certain things, we'd all be riding the same way.

I still agree that stance width is a personal thing, but since the last time there was a stance width threat (what, 2 weeks ago?) I had some thoughts on this.

I think the smaller width on a skateboard feels more stable because the your feet are over the top or even farther away from the contact points (the trucks).  Center of balance should be roughly in the middle, but slightly below the deck itself.  Very stable indeed.
Where F are your feet (the start of the center of balance, T is the Contact points (the trucks and ultimately the wheels underneath)

Skateboard:

\_F_____________F_/
    T           *          T

Whereas on a snowboard, the feet are well inside the contact points, and the center of balance, because the contact points are snow level, will be slightly above the deck itself. 
Where C is contact point, and * is center of balance.
Snowboad: 

\______________F______*________F________________/
     C                                                                              C

Therefore, a wider base is required to have the same feeling of stability on a snowboard, as opposed to the skateboard. 

Thoughts?
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
packfan4ever View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote packfan4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2011 at 10:39am
in theory jdiggdy that makes sense and would make even more sense if you looked at foot placement on a longboard rather then a skateboard. wider i believe adds to stability but if you go too wide it can be restricting and annoying.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2011 at 2:25pm
not sure I agree with that.  The contact points, yes, but I don't skate with my feet over my trucks.  Front is slightly behind and back is on he tail.  
seems to me that the closer your feet are to the center of the board, the more the board will flex for tighter carving.  Not necessarily more stable, though.  

Post Reply Post Reply