0 Staff | 7 Members
Live Chat
trusnow
Powered by 398,027 Members
Shopping Forum Out of Stock
username or email password
 Forum Home > SNOWBOARDS > The Board Room

Quick Login: Forgot password?

Topic ClosedScams are everywhere! How to deal...

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  12>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
(K) View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scams are everywhere! How to deal...
    Posted: Feb/10/2009 at 7:03pm
I don't know if this has been posted before, but here it is [again].

We've all heard about those Nigerian email scammers that plead for your help in transferring money left by deceased relatives, or dying multimillionaires whose only wish is to give to charity before they die but cannot due to paperwork, or people that would like to buy something that you're selling for much more than your asking price but can only pay you in money order.... Yeap, we've heard them all.

Well HERE'S to giving those scammers a taste of their own medicine!!

www.419eater.com

The site has a collection of emails and images/videos of scammers getting fooled by witty and resourceful "victims". It's a great read if you have an hour or two to kill during your day. Not only that but lets you in on how the scammers operate (and how the anti-scammers operate).
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2009 at 7:16pm
that site is great spent many hours laughing at the scammers getting scammed when I was recovering from shoulder surgery last spring.
www.chargeharder.com
krispysteve View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2009 at 8:53pm
Yea that's interesting.  I was "scammed" by a nigerian guy last spring while trying to sell a jeep on craigslist.  I knew what it was when he first emailed because I read several emails and testimonials from a lady in Vermont. 
Anyway I went along with it.  He sent me a cashiers check for 9800 when I was only asking 7500.  The rest is just the mumbo jumbo about him needing me to send the rest to someone in Denver, Co.  Obviously, I didn't fall for it.  His postage to send me the check was 36USD so I know he wasn't the victor.  At one point he even made reference to my jeep as a "horse," that's when I knew for sure this dude is more retarded than his stereotype.
If anyone else has a story like these please post it, I love reading them.

Steve.
Snowboardnoob View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2009 at 9:07pm
ah..... those crazy nigerians! 

Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2009 at 9:12pm
Yea there is no free money out there, not matter what anyone tells you.
snoflomojo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2009 at 9:28pm
hilarious, just read some of that email trails zhizz
Surfs_up View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2009 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Snowboardnoob

ah..... those crazy nigerians! 

LOL, I use to work at the relay center where you assist the deaf, hard of hearing and speech disabled.  The nigerians love to use our service to scam business.  It works in their favor because rule #1 we must read and type verbatium we cannot report this to the authorities, yep stupid federal law.  With our operators speaking for them they can hide their accent so business actually  trust us, so the nigo's order thousands of dollars worth of products with a fake credit card and at the end the business takes the hit.
sandbox390 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 10:35pm
mlballer91 scammed me out of crowbar outiggers using this site. i need to tell a mod about it so he gets banned.
CAPiTA sierrascope 2010 156 - Union forces 2010 green - Burton rulers 2008 - Westbeach tall jacket & bond pants.
ridesnowboarder View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Signal Park Rocker

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 5:03am
Originally posted by sandbox390

mlballer91 scammed me out of crowbar outiggers using this site. i need to tell a mod about it so he gets banned.

DId you try talking to him?
snowfab View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Brighton sunset.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 7:32am
Krispysteve- what did you do with the check he gave you? i would of tried to cash it than gave them a  Ouch
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 1:58pm
yea he doesnt answer my messages.
CAPiTA sierrascope 2010 156 - Union forces 2010 green - Burton rulers 2008 - Westbeach tall jacket & bond pants.
larry26 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 2:58pm
One of my friends got an email where if he paid $100 to some guy in nigeria he would send him a monkey. Of course he didnt fall for it but i do know that is something that alot of people have fallen for.
larry
sully1742 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 3:05pm
http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

Best scam ever. P-p-p-p-powerbook!
2009 Capita Stairmaster 156 - 2008 Burton Missions (White/Gold) - Thirty Two Lashed
hisnameisdre View Drop Down
Local
Local
Magic Bullet

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2009 at 2:33am
I'm glad this thread was bumped back up....I didn't know about these sites, they're pretty funny.
(K) View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2009 at 2:40am
I'll be honest with you...I don't even remember posting this topic lol. 

I HAVE noticed a decrease in Nigerian scams (in my emails anyway), though I've heard Somalian pirates are on the rise...Why can't the Somalians be like the Nigerians and take to the interweb.
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2009 at 4:55am

mlballer91 has a pretty good rep around here.  Feel free to PM me what happened though.
www.chargeharder.com
djinhwan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2009 at 6:16am
Originally posted by larry26

One of my friends got an email where if he paid $100 to some guy in nigeria he would send him a monkey. Of course he didnt fall for it but i do know that is something that alot of people have fallen for.

a monkey? LOL
my mom says im hardcore
myach View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2009 at 8:29am
Originally posted by larry26

I would have fallen for that! man 100 bucks for a monkey! come on!

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2009 at 12:46am

yea he doesnt answer my messages.

im having the same issue.

he replied quick back when we were arranging to exchange holden pants.  we arranged to send on the same day.. i sent mine to him, he didnt get around to it that day and said he sent them the next day.  long enough passed that it was weird that i hadnt gotten them yet, so i asked him if he knew what was up.  turns out he sent them to my PO box with fedex, which you cant do, even though i told him to use USPS for that reason, not to mention it was cheapest and fastest.  so we wait, he says he gets them back, and re-sent them with USPS to my po box address.  more time passes (a couple weeks) and i still dont see them.  after the first time, he got much worse about replying, even though i know he read them because it tells you, and hes on at least every couple days, so its not like he doesnt have 30 seconds to reply.  he finally got back to me and the po box he said he sent them to was missing a digit from the correct number, even though you can see in the messages that i gave him the right one.

now its taking forever, again, for him to reply.  ive sent the last one twice (stated that i was sending it a second time to him, the second time i sent it).  he read both within a day, but still hasnt replied.  so now he has my pants and im sure he has the pair he started out with too.

this is not the first time ive heard people say hes scammed people, though outside of that he did always seem like a normal, trustworthy member.

what to do?  its not a huge deal, but i dont want to just let it go just cause its not a big deal.  id like to come out of it with a pair of pants, whether its the pair i sent or the pair i was supposed to receive.
Civicforever View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
mx5

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2009 at 6:34am
I've dealt with him before, bought his midlife and contacts off of him. He was quick about shipping and I never had an issue with him...still talk to him once in a while on IM. weird that you guys have had issues with him, even though I remember that one thing about the new missions he sold to someone that were rollin around in his trunk for a while.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2009 at 9:51pm
yeah, i didnt take him for a non-legit guy, its just weird.  im out a pair of pants (not that i need them, but its the principal of it).

what should i do?  hes not answering my PMs...
rocheezy View Drop Down
Local
Local
Ready for the 2010 season!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2009 at 11:14pm
...anyone else you can report it to?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2009 at 11:18pm
not that i know of.. it was a trade so theres nothing like paypal backing me.

i understand that sometimes things get lost, or something else could happen.. but when someone reads your PMs and never replies (obviously on purpose) then thats when it becomes unusual and suspicious.
rocheezy View Drop Down
Local
Local
Ready for the 2010 season!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2009 at 11:22pm
Yeah, this sounds intentional. I've gotten screwed  over by people too (with the first setup I bought which was completely wrong for me) and it sucks. What's worse is a ex/ex-friend of mine gave it to a friend who never paid me for it...got it back and never gave it back to me...or got the money for it. We've had a couple falling outs since, so I'm pretty sure the setup and/or money is gone. It was a NS Premier F1, too. with shaun white burton boots and raiden bindings.. =0(

hopefully this guys comes around.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2009 at 11:30pm
yeah, its especially strange because hes a regular here and hes always seemed legit to me, and plenty of other people have had no issues with him.  im hoping im jumping the gun and theres some sort of reason hes not answering.  but even if hes super busy or on vacation or something... he has enough time to come here, log in, and read his messages.  theres no reason he cant take 10 seconds (literally) to give me a quick reply.
esy.iam View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2009 at 12:36am
unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be anything that can be done unless he feels like owning up to his stuff. you can go to the staff, if you like, but that really won't do you anything since they can't tell him to send it or what not. sucks that it happened. hopefully things get resolved, but if that other guy's issue didn't get resolved, doesn't seem like yours will either. i mean, it has to have already been a month or so, yeah?
peace.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2009 at 10:08pm
its been far longer than it should have been.  i sent him another PM that mainly addressed the issue of him not replying, rather than the issue of the pants.

again, its not a big deal (the pants), but just because its not a big deal doesnt mean im just gonna let it go so easily, because im out a pair of pants.  if it really doesnt end up resolved and i lose the pants, then oh well, not gonna get to me.  but still..
matic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2009 at 10:22pm
spenser, you're too nice! not a bad thing at all. just saying people like that need to be called out and need to learn a lesson.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2009 at 10:27pm
oh, ill be upset at him for sure, but on the pant-losing thing alone, its not gonna get to me.   theyre just pants and i got them cheap.

if in fact he did rip me off, then yes, he should be called out for it.  totally lame thing to do.
Blur510 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2009 at 10:47pm
wow that sucks.. there should be a lit of people that has scammed someone from the site. kinda like a buyer beware of this person, before you deal with him/her, list
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2010 at 3:21pm
so does anyone know mlballer91s real name or anything? hes gone MIA since this pants deal.  been on once since i last sent him a PM and he didnt read it.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2010 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by spenser

so does anyone know mlballer91s real name or anything? hes gone MIA since this pants deal.  been on once since i last sent him a PM and he didnt read it.

funny because the same thing happened to me. we arranged to trade crowbar outriggers so i sent em out and he said he didnt have time that day. a few days pass and we keep in touch and i tell him to pm me when mine arrive and he said he sent em out. a few weeks pass and i send over 5 pm's to him with no reply. at this time it starts to worry me and i start posting on this. the sierra staff said they would talk to him and wouldnt ya know, i get a pm saying there on there way and i get them a few days later. after seeing spenser go through the same thing (except worse!) i would advise people not to trade anything with him.

and spenser get the staff to talk to him...
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2010 at 3:37pm
yep, exactly how it went down.  arrange to send the same day, i send mine, he "didnt have time," said he sent them later, wrong shipping carrier (most people know fedex/ups dont ship to PO boxes.............), got them back eventually (he says), sent them again with USPS (he says) and they are nowhere to be found and neither is he.
Snowguy7 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2010 at 3:56pm
Since you shipped your pants to him, you should have his mailing addy correct?

The only time I've seen someone get their money back from an online scam is when they took it to another level and got all of the information they could on the person, and  then followed by pursuing legal action.

If he's a regular here though, I would bet that he didn't intentionally scam you.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2010 at 3:58pm
its so easy to get it right though, and hes done this exact thing to more than one person.  im trying to hold judgement till i hear from him again, but its kinda difficult because hes so terrible at showing up.  he was here every day when we were making the deal, as he was for other people, and then hes gone as soon as the deal is over and the other person is out a pair of pants, or whatever the item was.

i didnt think of looking up his address, but yeah i have it.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2010 at 4:01pm
hah.  found him on facebook.
matic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2010 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Snowguy7

If he's a regular here though, I would bet that he didn't intentionally scam you.

more than one person is claiming this. 
Dazma View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2010 at 4:42pm

CyberStalker
Snowguy7 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2010 at 4:44pm
by the way spenser, props on your site, I definitely enjoy watching your vids 
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2010 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by Dazma

CyberStalker

more like i had his name with his address because i sent him a pair of pants, typed it into facebook, and there he was.  stalking is a whole different level.

i know you were being silly, though [insert smiley face of choice]
CLEE1013 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2010 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by Spencer

[insert smiley face of choice]

LoL epic yo!!!

Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2010 at 7:04pm
It's starting to look like I got scammed with a boardswap last month for the Forum TK Destroyer I won in the 3pm giveaway.  You can guess what happened; I sent my board (which was delivered), but haven't gotten anything yet.  Hey, at least it was with a free board. :)

I don't know if the guy is a scammer or just a flake, but either way if I don't hear back from the guy in a day or two I'll be giving his hometown cops a call and post more on it.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2010 at 8:11pm
hahaha so i added him on facebook back when i posted that, went to his profile again, and it didnt say i was awaiting a friend confirmation.. which means he saw me and denied me.  theres no way he didnt know it was me.

this is rad.
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2010 at 10:29pm
Man, yall are stupid.

Just wait until i cash my $350,000,000 check from the Congo lottery this nice man is splitting with me. We'll see who's laughing then.

LOL
I'm here for the gangbang....
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2010 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by sully1742

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

Best scam ever. P-p-p-p-powerbook!

LOL - i was actually thinking of this when read the first post...

I'm here for the gangbang....
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2010 at 11:20pm
so heres another one. not quite a scam, but its funny.

so i had those rasta EG2s for sale that sold in november... they sold to the member BeeFree... i had interest for over $100 as theyre a pretty limited goggle, and i thought i had them sold, but it changed last minute.  time went by, didnt care much, and then beefree asked if i still had them and what the price was.. i said 85 shipped.. he goes "oh, well shit, i only have 75 in my paypal."  i just took it to get rid of them.

now this pops up on ebay, and theyre MY pictures and the SAME exact pair of goggles.  item is in long grove IL, which is the same place beefree is (i have his shipping address obviously, since he bought these from me).  awesome, right?  trying to turn a profit apparently.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=170429672766&Category=21230&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D1
Jigkidd View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
TWISTER!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2010 at 11:30pm
WOW I remember that post Spenser!
Those pictures are yours.
Hah I heard ebay kinda jacks you with a buncha fees anyway.
That's pretty wack but funny too.

Long hair don't care!
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2010 at 11:34pm
its mostly just funny, because i sold them and didnt get ripped (not really, anyway), and there they are.. with me and my friends in the reflection of the lens.

ebay does take fees, as well as paypal.. if they only sell for 80 + shipping, he will probably break even, or make literally a couple bucks at best.  i actually reported the sale just for fun because it used my pictures, which technically isnt allowed, so i have a legit reason.
lineears View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
booyA!!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2010 at 9:34am
well i just killed 3 hours of my time reading some stories
haha

spencer
send some e-mails to his friends on facebook
tell them to tell him to pay up lol

Go Canucks!