Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
amadeus303 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
East Coast Rider

Online Status: Offline
  Quote amadeus303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review: Never Summer SL-R
    Posted: Feb/12/2009 at 8:22am

I finally put a few days under my belt on the Never Summer SL-R 158 after I sold the TRS BTX 157.  I’m an intermediate rider, and will tackle nearly any level trail.  I’m experimenting a lot more w/ jumps, etc.  I don’t spend much time in the park; when I do, I’m usually just hitting smaller kickers as I work my way to other features ;)  So far, I’ve ridden the SL-R over 3 days (this past Sat-Mon) primarily on a groomed mixture of manmade and natural snow.  On Monday, temps hit upper 40’s (maybe even 50), so the snow was loose and granular… gradually getting a little slushy toward the end of the day.  I ran my Union Forces on the SL-R all 3 days (side note: I’m really loving them).  The SL-R info sheet says it’s slightly set back --- I rode the reference 22” stance --- but when I measured, it appeared to be centered.

Compared to the TRS BTX, the SL-R feels just a smidgeon stiffer torsionally, but IMO, primarily only because it’s beefier.  The board itself feels solid… like it could basically run over anything… and it feels like that as you go over hardpack, chop, etc.  With that said, it also feels noticeably heavier IN HAND than the TRS.  I believe Kimchi weighed a ’08 TRS BTX and ’09 SL-R on a scale and noted they were nearly identical in overall weight.  Under foot, the SL-R feels no heavier or lighter than other boards I’ve ridden.  The TRS did feel lighter than average (the nose and tip are cored out more), but I still found the SL-R easier to spin.  The dampening is truly excellent.  Whereas the TRS would give you a lot of tactile feedback between the bindings, the SL-R kept things fairly muted.  Some people prefer a nicely dampened ride --- I do --- but it does take some of the “liveliness” away that you would get on a TRS.

There wasn’t much ice, so I didn’t get to test out the Vario Powergrip sidecut thoroughly, although I didn’t notice the SL-R to be as grabby as the TRS when riding in the flats.  The SL-R holds a solid edge in hardpack no matter how fast I was running compared to the TRS, which fluttered on me a bit when I tried to make some sharp carves at relatively high speeds.  Similar to Kimchi’s comments, I also felt that the TRS seemed to ride “shorter” than its size would indicate.  In that respect, the SL-R rides much more like a cambered board than the TRS.  The TNT base on the TRS was faster than the base on my SL-R (for anyone that might be concerned with the Lib base).  Some of that might be attributable to the c

rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2009 at 8:28am
Great Review
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
East Coast Rider

Quote amadeus303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2009 at 8:32am
Thx - this forum's given me so much good info and help, I just wanna pay it foward, eh?
eltaco View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote eltaco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2009 at 9:00am
Like he said... excellent review.

I love reviews that compare two boards of similar styles, it really tells you a lot about their differences. Perhaps next year I'll try a NS board out, I've been interested in their tech for a while. As for now, I'm pretty stoked about the TRS.
2009 Lib Tech TRS BTX 157 <br />2009 Lib Tech Snow Mullet BTX 156 <br />2009 Union Force Frankenbinders
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
East Coast Rider

Quote amadeus303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2009 at 9:21am
Yeah, J --- I wish I would've kept the TRS a little bit longer... it would've been really neat to put each board through its paces back to back.  My only real complaints about the TRS were the pop and landing on it... but I think that's more a function of getting comfortable with the board.  I may still get another BTX board this year... if not, next...
arsenic0 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
NS Whore

Quote arsenic0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2009 at 11:18am
The SL-R floats like a dream, we had some awesome powder out here yesterday at Mt Hood Meadows, deep enough you can float but not so deep if you slow down too much your digging your way out to the groomers.

It was stellar, in fact there were very few moments where i found myself leaning back at all, once i got the speed i was able to just buzz through the powder like any other groomer.   Yesterday alone on the huge powder runs from top to bottom made the board worth it.

Even later in the day when it started getting chopped up quite a bit i had no problems..actually while going through the snow i looked down at my board fully expecting snow to be rushing over it ..but there was none i was literally just riding the top..it was amazing especially coming from a shatty LTD i learned on :)

Oh and i ride a 151 at 135lbs...
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
East Coast Rider

Quote amadeus303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2009 at 12:53pm

^^^That sounds awesome... I'm hoping for some more dumping here, but temps for the last 3 days have been in the 50's.  Powder days on the east coast are so rare... you learn to *really* value them Big smile

eltaco View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote eltaco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2009 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by amadeus303

Yeah, J --- I wish I would've kept the TRS a little bit longer... it would've been really neat to put each board through its paces back to back.  My only real complaints about the TRS were the pop and landing on it... but I think that's more a function of getting comfortable with the board.  I may still get another BTX board this year... if not, next...

Yeah, I know what you are saying. I wasn't a huge fan of the TRS right away... now that it's broken in, it really is a great board.

Although, I've never had problems landing with it. The TRS lands very well in my opininion... nothing like my old skate banana. Granted, the jumps I take are no more than 20-25 ft, so maybe your experience was on larger tables. If so, I can't speak to that.
2009 Lib Tech TRS BTX 157 <br />2009 Lib Tech Snow Mullet BTX 156 <br />2009 Union Force Frankenbinders
kimchijajonshim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2009 at 1:36pm
Nice.  Sounds like you and I had pretty comparable experiences with the two boards.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
East Coast Rider

Quote amadeus303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2009 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by eltaco

Although, I've never had problems landing with it. The TRS lands very well in my opininion... nothing like my old skate banana. Granted, the jumps I take are no more than 20-25 ft, so maybe your experience was on larger tables. If so, I can't speak to that.

El... I think you had the benefit of riding the Nana a lot.  The TRS was my 1st venture onto BTX, so for me, there definitely was an adjustment to the looser feeling of it.  Landing was always an adventure.  On a normally cambered board, I could find my edge quickly if I didn't land my jump flush.  On the TRS, I'd just start spinning... or would swing to one side.  If I tried to correct myself "too much", I'd basically pull a ground 180.
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
East Coast Rider

Quote amadeus303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2009 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by kimchijajonshim

Nice.  Sounds like you and I had pretty comparable experiences with the two boards.

To be honest, I felt like I was being a little redundant by posting this review... it pretty much mimicked your thoughts.
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
East Coast Rider

Quote amadeus303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2009 at 2:11pm
Just one other thought on the differences between the TRS and SL-R... my Lib base scratched up much easier, while my SL-R barely showed any signs of wear.  I know it's been mentioned by several other people here, but I was really surprised.  Hopefully, that's a good omen for long-term durability...
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2009 at 2:48pm
Wax that base and I think your perception on the SL-R base will change.  I never really found the TNT base to be slow (the whole ZOMG it's not sintered! thing is overblown), but I have definitely found Never Summer bases to be faster.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
East Coast Rider

Quote amadeus303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2009 at 12:59pm
OK - so the more I ride the SL-R, the more I'm starting to think it could possibly become my everything stick.  I took my Anthem out 1 day this weekend, and the whole time I was wishing I had the SL-R.  Seriously, I heart this board.

...and Kimchi... you're right.  I gave this puppy a good waxing, and it's definitely primo in the flats now.
Eyedolon View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
My view

Quote Eyedolon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2009 at 3:30pm
I just ran my Legacy-R on the factory wax this weekend, and I was screaming past people. The first few runs were tricky because it seemed to never slow down at all, and skating was really difficult because the board would just GO ... but I almost never had to skate midrun, not at all on the cattrack and I spent a fair amount of time waiting for my group (all of whom are better boarders then I am). I don't have enough other experiences to say that it's better then anything else, but the speed of the board is downright obscene. Duneluder has a TRS BTX, and I plan on letting her ride the Legacy next trip, so we'll see. AFAIK the Legacy is just a wider version of the SL-R.
When I do good I am never remembered. When I do bad I am never forgotten.
ANGRY AGENT View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
WCPW #1 whore

Quote ANGRY AGENT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2009 at 3:44pm
I am really glad you have found something that works for you!Clap  Also great review
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2009 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Eyedolon

I just ran my Legacy-R on the factory wax this weekend, and I was screaming past people. The first few runs were tricky because it seemed to never slow down at all, and skating was really difficult because the board would just GO ... but I almost never had to skate midrun, not at all on the cattrack and I spent a fair amount of time waiting for my group (all of whom are better boarders then I am). I don't have enough other experiences to say that it's better then anything else, but the speed of the board is downright obscene. Duneluder has a TRS BTX, and I plan on letting her ride the Legacy next trip, so we'll see. AFAIK the Legacy is just a wider version of the SL-R.

NS claims the legacy and sl-r to be the same, but from i have HEARD they are not the same.
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2009 at 4:37pm
Just a note, I was not that stoked on the SL-R this past weekend... but I think it may have been the fact that the base was dry.  I waxed it about 2-3 days on snow prior, so it stripped pretty quickly.  I don't know if it was just conditions (one day I rode was pretty much sheet ice by the end of the day), that the base strips quickly, or the fact that I let some random shop kids at Squaw wax my board last time.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
arsenic0 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
NS Whore

Quote arsenic0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2009 at 9:27pm

, or the fact that I let some random shop kids at Squaw wax my board last time.

Ding ding...:)

Glad you enjoyed your SL-R, i sure as hell have enjoyed mine.

The Legacy-R is more of an Freeride board than the SL-R, NS's site even says so...because they are wider and longer, the stiffness NS boards have can make it quite a beast..

On a side note funny story, up until Wednesday i had never seen any other NS boards out on the slopes, i tried to keep an eye out in the lift lines etc..then on Wednesday i get on a lift with 2 guys who were friends and they were BOTH wearing Legacy-R's...was pretty funny the entire chair was NS boards...
taiguy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
no insta-death

Quote taiguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2009 at 10:02pm
love my SL-R. I don't care if it's mental or not. got on a RC BTX for a weekend and while I had fun on it, immediately fell back into my groove with the SL-R the next weekend.

rock on.
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
East Coast Rider

Quote amadeus303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2009 at 11:24am
Originally posted by arsenic0

i had never seen any other NS boards out on the slopes

NS boards are super rare around here too... the last time I actually remember seeing one was last season on some random weekend.  My 1st thought was..."Must be an out-of-towner", lol...

I'm finally starting to see some Bataleons, and this weekend, I finally saw a Unity and Dinosaurs Must Die board.
Eyedolon View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
My view

Quote Eyedolon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2009 at 4:15pm
I saw a guy bring a hella old NS board into the repair shop when we were getting ready to ride the first day. Beyond that, none at all. Kinda like feeling exclusive.
When I do good I am never remembered. When I do bad I am never forgotten.
Surfs_up View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Surfs_up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2009 at 5:44pm
Wonderful review, Never Summer rocks.
Fastest_Nutsack View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Fastest_Nutsack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2009 at 9:10am
Very nice review. I used to ride K2/Burtons/etc but I only ride NSs now. 
icymallard View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote icymallard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2009 at 7:31pm
nice, i like direct comparison reviews. MOAR!!!
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2009 at 8:23pm
thanks, My mt rents them and I think my might try one out next time.
hoon View Drop Down
Guest Gear Expert

Quote hoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2009 at 7:50am

Wax that base and I think your perception on the SL-R base will change.  I never really found the TNT base to be slow (the whole ZOMG it's not sintered! thing is overblown), but I have definitely found Never Summer bases to be faster.

i agree that waxing the SL_R base will show noticeable improvements but i disagree about the TNT. the TNT base definitely sucks if you don't wax it. and i did not notice any major weight issues with the SL_R (used a Lib Trice and a Burton Uninc for comparison). yes, the uninc was lighter, but the other two seemed comparable. plus i ran my SL_R across rocks, tree stumps and the parking lot and the thing is still bomber. i'll take a slight weight penalty if i can do that.Thumbs Up
2010? More Like 1910
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
East Coast Rider

Quote amadeus303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2009 at 9:02am
I always kept the TRS waxed well, so when I initially got on the SL-R, I was disappointed in its "glide".  It's rideability, though, MORE than won me over.  When I started giving it thorough waxings, I was completely sold... and as much as I like a lighter board, I had an easier time landing jumps on the heavier and burlier SL-R.

Hoon - any differences between next year's model that you demoed and this year's?  I like it so much, I'll pick another one up next year if there are some changes.  Riding it last weekend at Stowe was such balls out fun...
 Post Reply Post Reply