Review Spam

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 23456 34>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Surfs_up View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Surfs_up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review Spam
    Posted: Apr/03/2009 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by duchsauce

Lol, this is epic!  So many people losing their points, they will log on and be crushed.  You should send the people who got free t-shirts a bill.

I  was doing that someone dropped from 750 points down to 6 hundred something in a matter of minutes. It's still dropping by the minute. LOL
rideclaps802 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote rideclaps802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2009 at 12:13pm
haha. this is great. whos the person surfs up? i'd like to help

InTheCartel View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote InTheCartel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2009 at 12:17pm
I mean I like this idea-- but don't forger about the law of unintended consequences

One might be against women getting an abortion, but the law of unintended consequence may dictate how they vote on the matter. They may not want women getting themselves sick or killed, or doing the same to their full-term baby, and thus cannot justify making abortion explicitly illegal.

Much of the same logic must be applied here. Sure, it is nice to get the spammers out, but what if the marketing division at Burton decided to hire 5 people to make 5 accounts just to search and destroy all negative comments on Burton boards...
uspdan View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote uspdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2009 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by MrStak

brofox17 and jakehall
reading their reviews frustrates me...especially brofox..he looks at the specs of the item, and talks about it so it looks legit. his CHB, forum roost, k2 select, burton custom second and palmer touch women are all bs reviews.

yeah those 2 guys are garbage. I think it'd be quicker/easier for one of the staff to just dump all their reviews. very few if any are actually legit.
uspdan View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote uspdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2009 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by InTheCartel

Much of the same logic must be applied here. Sure, it is nice to get the spammers out, but what if the marketing division at Burton decided to hire 5 people to make 5 accounts just to search and destroy all negative comments on Burton boards...

wow, i don't think thats going to be a huge issue.
percept View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote percept Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2009 at 12:30pm

I mean I like this idea-- but don't forger about the law of unintended consequences

One might be against women getting an abortion, but the law of unintended consequence may dictate how they vote on the matter. They may not want women getting themselves sick or killed, or doing the same to their full-term baby, and thus cannot justify making abortion explicitly illegal.

who's flagging negative reviews?
Surfs_up View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Surfs_up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2009 at 12:32pm
It could be any company, he does have a valid point though.
icymallard View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote icymallard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2009 at 12:36pm

actually... that is a very valid concern...
klutzycurtis View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote klutzycurtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2009 at 12:40pm
whohoo! yes, finally!

^and yes, I agree that it might be a problem, but really, you can't stop it and it's not really going to matter
MJSBullitt View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote MJSBullitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2009 at 1:20pm
if anything, i think it should be 5 or more flags from people, then a staff memeber should have to inspect the review and decide on it
The pessimist says the glass is half empty. The optimist says the glass is half full. The engineer says its really a problem of optimization and the glass is twice the size it should be.
xxsweet_jen24xx View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote xxsweet_jen24xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2009 at 2:26pm

Actually, this is a very different thing. We aren't deleting negative reviews. We are deleting reviews that do not contain actual reviews. These reviews were just made by people who went in and clicked buttons, and didn't even bother to write anything that would help someone who is thinking of purchasing the item. We aren't deleting them because we don't agree with what they had to say, we are deleting them because they didn't actually say anything.
percept View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote percept Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2009 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by xxsweet_jen24xx

Actually, this is a very different thing. We aren't deleting negative reviews. We are deleting reviews that do not contain actual reviews. These reviews were just made by people who went in and clicked buttons, and didn't even bother to write anything that would help someone who is thinking of purchasing the item. We aren't deleting them because we don't agree with what they had to say, we are deleting them because they didn't actually say anything.

you misunderstood his post the same way i did.

hes not saying WE would delete them.  He's saying that giving us the power to flag them also gives the same power to snowboard manufacturers to delete them.  so......burton could hire a team of guys to just scour the net, deleting neg reviews of their gear.

not saying burton would do that...just saying i think thats what he meant.

Local
Local

Quote xxsweet_jen24xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2009 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by percept

Originally posted by xxsweet_jen24xx

you misunderstood his post the same way i did.

hes not saying WE would delete them.  He's saying that giving us the power to flag them also gives the same power to snowboard manufacturers to delete them.  so......burton could hire a team of guys to just scour the net, deleting neg reviews of their gear.

not saying burton would do that...just saying i think thats what he meant.

Ooooh, okay, I see what you mean. I didn't even think of it that way. I completely misunderstood. Sorry 'bout that!
Local
Local

Quote icymallard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2009 at 4:30pm
Crap i just thought of another thing...

what if I worked for Rome and every chance I get, i say YA i own 390's they are softer then average but super solid binderzzz i like them better than union forces...

idunno i never rode forces.

yipperzz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote yipperzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2009 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by icymallard

what if I worked for Rome and every chance I get, i say YA i own 390's they are softer then average but super solid binderzzz i like them better than union forces...

what?
Local
Local

Quote icymallard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2009 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by yipperzz

Originally posted by icymallard

what?

huh?
yipperzz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote yipperzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2009 at 4:47pm
i don't get what you said.  can you repeat it in english?
shreddog_123 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Duck season

Quote shreddog_123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2009 at 4:54pm
i'm not even joking i thought of this idea. but great job for making it like that. fake reviews are baaaaaaaad!!
Do you know God???
Local
Local

Quote icymallard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2009 at 5:52pm
sry i was just throwing the idea around that any of the forum posters could work for any certain company...
odoyale rules View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote odoyale rules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2009 at 6:42pm
Brilliant! Simply brilliant!
18 days and counting

I make custom diecuts (stickers). PM me for info
Scotty68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scotty68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2009 at 2:37am
reviews are valuable here. this is sweet, good job!
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2009 at 5:00am
Dang it I get busy for 1 freaking day and miss all the fun.

This has been the biggest gripe from the community since the point system was implemented.  Thank you sierra for finallly making this happen.
www.chargeharder.com
Varial View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Varial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2009 at 5:04am
Maybe do something like you just can review something if its in your "Have It" list, I know you can put anything you want there but I think you can know when someone is putting extra stuff.
sopel10 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sopel10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2009 at 5:15am
i sucks that most of the buttons on this site don't work at my computer at workCry

linux+firefox+sierra=Confused
K8sgotgame View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote K8sgotgame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2009 at 5:50am
Good work guys --- it is going to be really helpful to customers not seeking forum advice. Clap
Ender View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Ender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2009 at 7:46am

Loud noises herald the coming of abuse of power. Formerly abuse has been in the hands of those whose minds are in the gutter, seeking gain. Now, by enforcing this system, we have let loose a wild pack of dogs, that cares not what it devours, only hungering for BAN flesh. This could either be a brilliant system to discourage those who lie, or a catalyst for dividing the sierra community.

"only time will tell"

question is though...for those members who when shopping for gear, did research, and compiled a knowledge base of different items, therefore should be able to review such items, even if they did not purchase it. Many riders try different setups, should they be penalized for shopping around until they find the best gear?
Board-Burton Blunt 155<br />Boots- Forum Recon<br />Bindings- Burton Mission<br />Helmet- Protec B2<br />Music-Cheap mp3 that doesnt mind getting bashed<br />
yipperzz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote yipperzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2009 at 9:45am
Originally posted by sopel10

i sucks that most of the buttons on this site don't work at my computer at workCry

linux+firefox+sierra=Confused

what are your problems?  i'm on linux and firefox and don't see any issues here.  i'm on firefox on windows at work too and don't see any issues.  i don't think it has to do with linux if you're experiencing any issues.
New2Snow View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote New2Snow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2009 at 11:39am
this is a good plan
craigalicious View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote craigalicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2009 at 12:32pm

can we lock down good reviews?  this would fix that problem, but i don't think it's really ever going to be a problem.  any company is wasting a lot of time and money if they decide to do that, and it's not like burton really cares what reviews are on sierra.  BMB people might try to do it, but once again, they're wasting their time.

snowboardguy321 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
the little bird

Quote snowboardguy321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2009 at 6:03pm
cool
elmers_cow View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote elmers_cow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2009 at 8:47pm
sierra i choose you!
sierra tackle!
sierra bite!
sierra kill!
let it snow
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2009 at 7:54am
Originally posted by snowboardguy321

cool

Thanks for your great insight!
Local
Local

Quote xxsweet_jen24xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2009 at 3:26pm
Just ignore him, Timmay. We all know he sucks at life.
active123 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote active123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2009 at 3:45pm
i like spam, tastes great with rice, just a little salty though
shagwag3n View Drop Down
Local
Local
Duck of Death

Quote shagwag3n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2009 at 4:02pm
hmmm can't wait to get in on this fun Tongue
my images won't show up dammit
MrStak View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote MrStak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2009 at 4:46am
Like I said earlier, in order to thwart a company teaming up to flag bad reviews of their product, maybe set it up so that people are allowed to flag bad reviews after a certain number of posts...like 100 or 200. That way, the lazy people who are here for free gear won't take the time to write up 200 posts just to flag good reviews. And if some company wanted to gang up and flag all the bad reviews of their product, they too would need to write up 200 posts before they could flag the bad stuff. Just a thought on how to counter act any potential
duchsauce View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote duchsauce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2009 at 5:12am

Like I said earlier, in order to thwart a company teaming up to flag bad reviews of their product, maybe set it up so that people are allowed to flag bad reviews after a certain number of posts...like 100 or 200. That way, the lazy people who are here for free gear won't take the time to write up 200 posts just to flag good reviews. And if some company wanted to gang up and flag all the bad reviews of their product, they too would need to write up 200 posts before they could flag the bad stuff. Just a thought on how to counter act any potential

+1
percept View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote percept Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2009 at 6:56am

im a fan of this idea.
dlaw View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote dlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2009 at 7:07am
i'm going to agree with MrStak's idea as well.  You have to be a certain level to give advice in the chat so why not with the review flagging.
percept View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote percept Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2009 at 7:13am
then again, it's not that hard to get 100 posts...

Originally posted by snowboardguy321

cool

^^ this guy's almost there...
ilskuei View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote ilskuei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2009 at 1:39pm
Nice move Sierra!  but instead of deleting the review, just hide the review from the product page so the user have a chance to prove that the review is not a spam (this also helps the concern of companies trying to drop negative review).
Surfs_up View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Surfs_up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2009 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by percept

im a fan of this idea.

Very good idea, companies may do this, if they don't there are such things as brand nut huggers.  People will just make up fake accounts to delete some bad reviews that may harm their favorite company because they own 5 of their boards. 
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2009 at 7:59pm
fostpaint View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote fostpaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2009 at 8:24am
percept View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote percept Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2009 at 8:32am
it is if you're a 13 year old goin thru puberty.
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2009 at 9:02am
Some guy logged into chat the other day and was like hey why did I lose over half my points.  That made me LOL
www.chargeharder.com
BboyTommy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BboyTommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2009 at 9:15am
hahahahaha. wow
dance like no one's watching
Jack Off View Drop Down
Local
Local
into the box

Quote Jack Off Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2009 at 10:27am
http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=39482

his review of the agent is just a copy and paste of what rome says in the "description"

:ugh:

if i jumped onto your back, would you beat me off?
airjesse123 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote airjesse123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2009 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Jack Off

ya, looks like his BS reviews are gone now

actually, they haven't. I flagged some of them, as they seem to be pure cut+paste and/or fiction
Quiver: 08 UnInc 160 w/ 09 Cartel EST, 010 Charlie Slasher 164 w/ 09 White Union Forces
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2009 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Jack Off

wow...saw the rome agent review...straight up copy and pasteĀ LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 34>