Quick Login: Forgot password?

Review Spam

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 2021222324 34>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Online Status: Offline
  Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review Spam
    Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 3:48am
Yeah, get TopJerseySpammer outta here.  I've never seen one go that crazy.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 3:53am
The mods aren't around enough to eradicate spammer shit like this, trusted regulars should be given the ability to lock spammer accounts or spam their threads... anything would help.  I was on early enough this morning to watch this doucher create a bunch of new threads as well as spam existing threads, I could have put a stop to it very early if I had the Wonder Twin powers.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 4:31am
^Yeah, can't do much with only one ringLOL
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 9:03am
Originally posted by ippollite

unfortunately for me, no way to flag it without flagging the full review. Which, though not entirely unwarranted, does feel a bit mean :) 

Where are you ippollite!!

Take care of this moron please.

His profile page.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 9:05am
Originally posted by chillwill

unfortunately for me, no way to flag it without flagging the full review. Which, though not entirely unwarranted, does feel a bit mean :) 

Where are you ippollite!!

Take care of this moron please.

Amen, brutha', this is the same jackass I posted earlier this morning.  He/she was online when I logged in this morning and I just sat and watched as new shit-spam threads were created, helpless to do anything.

Originally posted by ctoma

Holy hell, this spammer douche went nuts today, can someone kill this account?

http://www.trusnow.com/profile.asp?PF=350118

chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 9:13am

The mods aren't around enough to eradicate spammer shit like this, trusted regulars should be given the ability to lock spammer accounts or spam their threads... anything would help.  I was on early enough this morning to watch this doucher create a bunch of new threads as well as spam existing threads, I could have put a stop to it very early if I had the Wonder Twin powers.

I agree, the mods arent here nearly as often as they used to be.

I nominate ctoma for new TruSnow mod !!!
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 9:14am
^ Ha!  Frightening thought, I can get carried away sometimes...
gsrrr View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
shred ze gnar

Quote gsrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 11:10am
Hi
JBburton 18 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 11:48am
Originally posted by gsrrr

Hi
this
shredBATALEON: (4:06 PM) dude jb your being such a dutch bag man
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 12:16pm

Hi

Thank you, sir, may I have another?
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 10:54pm
I actually asked about new mods when it was just a few of us left around november last year. They do need more mods, but the answer was that they cant. Reading between the lines i assume they couldnt get permission. Im fairly certain they would have asked since the spam was getting insane and the loss of the more chatty community enhancing mods was certainly a detriment to the site. I think a few more mods would have done wonders around then. But ah wells, cant be helped. Cry

As for actual spam, i cant really do anything about it im afraid. Ive been asked not to flag them. The reason being that when i do the people with actual mod poswers cant ban them. 
m00m
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2012 at 3:55am
^ Well that's disappointing.  Seems like there's a new spammer spewing his crap here every other day and the mods aren't online nearly enough.  The mods that have the Wonder Twin powers to ban accounts need to visit more often.
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2012 at 7:45am

^ Well that's disappointing.  Seems like there's a new spammer spewing his crap here every other day and the mods aren't online nearly enough.  The mods that have the Wonder Twin powers to ban accounts need to visit more often.

You mean every day.

And here he is, right on cue: http://www.trusnow.com/profile.asp?PF=348425

Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2012 at 10:15am
If users can flag review spam then they should do the same with forum posts too or ip ban those chinese replica spammers.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
LittleShooey View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2012 at 10:25am

I actually asked about new mods when it was just a few of us left around november last year. They do need more mods, but the answer was that they cant. Reading between the lines i assume they couldnt get permission. Im fairly certain they would have asked since the spam was getting insane and the loss of the more chatty community enhancing mods was certainly a detriment to the site. I think a few more mods would have done wonders around then. But ah wells, cant be helped. Cry

As for actual spam, i cant really do anything about it im afraid. Ive been asked not to flag them. The reason being that when i do the people with actual mod poswers cant ban them. 

Well, that was a little depressing. No one's been added since the SS->TS move, right? It sounds like the recent moves are slowly whittling away at the forum, making it more of an accessory than a feature. I can understand it. TS and TO have no money (directly) to make from the forums.

Meanwhile, the forums are overrun spammers and whores consequently driving folks out and away from the forum and site. I can understand having less regulation in the off season, but  right now I see no regulation. No flags, bans.. 

Ill be clear, I'm not pointing fingers at the mods. I don't know if it's a volunteer system or paid... what ever. The apathy is with the company and the revolving door that's been transition of ownership. Did TS/TO know that there was an integrated, thriving forum linked to the sales site? Idk.

Thanks for the insight, Ipp.

Sorry for the length, came to report 348425 but he's already on the crap list. 
Plus side, summer seems to have slowed down the FPW's! 

Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

If users can flag review spam then they should do the same with forum posts too

I've liked this idea for a while. I think the biggest issue is with people who have differing opinions end up getting flagged. But holy hell would it be interesting. 
Senior TS dinosaur drawer-er.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2012 at 8:40pm
I think we should remember though that the people at st. pauls are doing their damndest to keep the site alive and working. But theres only so much they can do. I have a strong feeling (based on lets say, hearsay and conjecture), that although the forums were valued by the new owners, they were really just a way to keep their market within easily advertisable distance and never really seen as a core aspect of their business. :) 

I know this is de facto what the forums attached to a business are all about under the surface, but it seems like there was an implicit feeling that the groundwork was already done by sierra so they could just sit back and reap the cash. I think the general feeling was that although they understood the potential value of the forums on their business in terms of feelgood impact, they just never saw the return financially and so kinda let it carry on with things like the points programme, but didnt think it was a worthwhile investment to maintain or promote new forms of interaction with the community (nor to maintain the current ones like the review section). 

Doug and Donald were great and tried really hard to show the value of the community activities instigated by sierra, but the people above them just never seemed to buy it. Its a pity because this was arguably one of the best places for a new person to the sport to come and get decent advice. Even without the whole sierra pricing fiasco (or "glory days" for me as an international customer),  there was a great balance between overzealous idiots like me trying to advise people on what little actual experience we had, alongside older wiser hats like scorer, myke, bruizza, spenser, zoe et al. 

Alas once they left (most of them realistically sometime after the chapter 11 rumours) the spamming started getting out of control and honestly, we couldnt keep up. By around late season (probs march) 2011 it was evident there just wasnt enough hours in the day to deal with it. There were just too few of us logging in and looking after it, and as it piled up personally, not speaking for the others here, i just lost interest in trying to keep the reviews maintained as a viable resource. I wasnt being paid and it honestly felt so much like a second job that i got fed up with it. 

I really loved the reviews section to be honest,  i really thought that could have been such an excellent little treasure trove of rider experiences, but points turned it into a fiesta of detritus and i was genuinely annoyed by the selfishness of it all. Spam the forums, whatever, but i always felt the reviews section could have been a great help to the rather confused and bewildered people out there trying to figure out what snowboard they actually wanted. 

In addition, it was also a great way to advertise the business. 

It was the lack of vision (not from the sierra dudes who fought against this apathy by the way), to recognise that the top hits from certain key brands on google came from SIERRA precisely BECAUSE of reviews, that made me shake my head that they let it fall apart.
A few more moderators and the shit could have been cleaned up and gotten under control, but again, for reasons that i dont honestly know about (but can conjecture) it just wasnt a priority. 

I dont mean to step on toes of course, but i like a good tale. I reckon thats pretty much part of the story. The dudes at St Pauls need a bit of credit though since theyre kinda trying to deliver sierra product and sierra values but with the-house restrictions and core business practices. It was patently obvious rather quickly after the buyout that far from separating the two business and playing to the more community focus of sierra with TruSnow (whilst the house did its thing), the ultimate aim was really consolidation under a single programme. Again, i cat really say if thats a bad thing overall, but as far as the forums are concerned it really put paid to the whole community focus of sierra and i think thats probably why the forums have been in a tailspin for quite a while. 

Of course, this is best guess stuff. I should of course remind you im not an employee here. I have no idea what actually happened, and im notorious for getting carried away with ideas even if they have no factual basis in reality. :) 
m00m
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2012 at 2:08am
^ Ippy, I love your posts.

Now, while much of what you said is conjecture on your part I would be willing to bet most of it (if not all) is spot on.  What the higher-ups need to realize is the forums and reviews are a place for someone new to the sport to ask questions, learn about gear, etc. which may lead to the purchase of gear.  I don't think anyone is asking for major mods to the site (which equals pouring money and resources into the web site), instead we need more policing of the forums to keep them relevant instead of becoming a wasteland for spammers which will drive people away from this site.  

IMO it seems there are many knowledgeable members who aren't around anymore but a quick check of EL shows they are still participating in snowboard forums, just not this one.  Why?  Have these forums become so stagnant that people are being driven away?  Has the lack of moderators and proliferation of bullshit threads, spam, etc. frustrated those members to the point where they do not even login?

There's so much more I want to say but my mind is foggy, it's too early on a Sunday morning.  I was up late last night (my niece turned 21) and was awakened by a work call this morning... something is getting lost between my mind and my fingers as I type this.
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2012 at 4:50pm
Dear Spammer,

We hate you.

Sincerely,
Everyone

Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2012 at 2:08pm
Ipp, 
I think we're right on the same page. I wasn't aware that the reviews page were so high up on a Google search but it makes sense. 

New kid. 
http://www.trusnow.com/profile.asp?PF=350281
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2012 at 2:43pm
Yeah Ipp we know, House killed the forums and allowed (or created) this fiesta of detritus and just doesn't want us to know about it, presumably because they receive a benefit from "legitimate" site traffic.  (Am I correct that their main effort at stopping spam has been to "hide" the forums by removing visible links???  Nice effort!) 

But there are still a few cool things on here, I think, FWIW . . . just no reason to get emotionally involved or expect anything other than, well, the usual fiesta of detritus. 

-b
get bent
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2012 at 3:03pm
You lawyers and your fancy talk, I had to look up detritus.  

de·tri·tus

  [dih-trahy-tuhs] 
noun
rock in small particles or other material worn or broken awayfrom a mass, as by the action of water or glacial ice.
any disintegrated material; debris.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2012 at 3:13pm
No need to get all worked up over minutia, man. Maybe it's time to aggrandize your vocabulary?LOL 
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2012 at 3:25pm
Dammit, Shooey...

ag·gran·dize < id=":d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" code="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0" width="13" height="21" style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; text-align: left; margin: 1px; "><embed src="http://img.tfd.com/m/sound.swf" flashvars="sound_src=http://img.tfd.com/hm/mp3/A0140700.mp3" menu="false" width="13" height="21" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"> (-grndzgrn-)
tr.v. ag·gran·dizedag·gran·diz·ingag·gran·diz·es
1. To increase the scope of; extend.
2. To make greater in power, influence, stature, or reputation.
3. To make appear greater; exaggerate: aggrandize one argument while belittling another.
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2012 at 3:34pm

Dammit, Shooey...

ag·gran·dize < id=":d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" code="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0" width="13" height="21" style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; text-align: left; margin: 1px; "><embed src="http://img.tfd.com/m/sound.swf" flashvars="sound_src=http://img.tfd.com/hm/mp3/A0140700.mp3" menu="false" width="13" height="21" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"> (-grndzgrn-)
tr.v. ag·gran·dizedag·gran·diz·ingag·gran·diz·es
1. To increase the scope of; extend.
2. To make greater in power, influence, stature, or reputation.
3. To make appear greater; exaggerate: aggrandize one argument while belittling another.

ctoma...you need to figure out how to understand the meaning of the word from context LOL
My blog about snowboarding, vids too! - http://yukitabanana.wordpress.com/

Updated weekly!
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2012 at 3:39pm
Hey Ipp said it -- frankly I thought it meant poop until I saw your alleged definitions.  HEre's what I found on urbandictionary

thesaurus fordetritus:
debrisfilthcrudgarbagerubbishcruftdregsflotsamgrimejunkresiduescrapsslopspoogetrashmore...
1. detritus 36 up, 15 down
Stuff left behind, shit that no one wants. From Latin. Often used when the speaker expects that the listener won't know what the word means. This word is commonly used to describe the pile of bones and feathers that the hawk leaves behind after he eats the pigeon.
* Is that your detritus there?
* Why is all this detritus in the back seat of my car?

Pronounced DEE-truh-tus
2. detritus 2 thumbs down
A useless person, someone that fails to be good at necessarily anything. Trash.
After her career collapsed, Lindsey Lohan became detritus.

If you click on the thesaurus link you'll see "spooge" is a synonym

-b

EDIT -- P.S.  if you look to the alphabet view on the side you'll also see a number of Detroit-related words which should be familiar to you ctoma, e.g. "Detroilet"

P.P.S.  I had never heard of the "Detroit blindfold" or the "Detroit hayride" before, surprisingly
get bent
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2012 at 3:58pm
Hmmm, are those anything like a Cleveland Steamer, Cleveland Jackrabbit, Cleveland Combover, Cleveland Steamclean, Cleveland Apple-picking, Cleveland Ass Clapper, Cleveland Bowtie, Cleveland Boscoe Stick, Cleveland Breadbowl, Cleveland Brownie Crunch, Cleveland Doggie Bag Special.... there are too many despicable Cleveland acts that mix secks and poop that I can't list them all...

Originally posted by hana24

ctoma...you need to figure out how to understand the meaning of the word from context LOL

Got it, hana, I was playing along...
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2012 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by LittleShooey

No need to get all worked up over minutia, man. Maybe it's time to aggrandize your vocabulary?LOL 

hmmm, never knew 'minutia' was the singular for 'minutiae.'  learn something new every day.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2012 at 2:38am
This doucher posts replies to threads with embedded links to some f'ed up web site:

Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2012 at 11:02am

Hmmm, are those anything like a Cleveland Steamer, Cleveland Jackrabbit, Cleveland Combover, Cleveland Steamclean, Cleveland Apple-picking, Cleveland Ass Clapper, Cleveland Bowtie, Cleveland Boscoe Stick, Cleveland Breadbowl, Cleveland Brownie Crunch, Cleveland Doggie Bag Special.... there are too many despicable Cleveland acts that mix secks and poop that I can't list them all...

OMG I had no idea!  I'm officially spending the rest of the day on urbandictionary. 

-b
get bent
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2012 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

OMG I had no idea!  I'm officially spending the rest of the day on urbandictionary. 

-b

Please tell me you will not be spending the rest of the evening trying out some of these moves...
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2012 at 5:24am
New spammer and a dumb as shit spammer at that, he's spamming his own thread.

http://www.trusnow.com/profile.asp?PF=349840
RastaRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RastaRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2012 at 8:36am
Another winner. Reviews and posts. Double whammy
http://www.trusnow.com/profile.asp?PF=132869
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2012 at 9:38am
^ Nice catch, Rasta, I was just about to post the same valuable forum member.
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2012 at 9:42am
whats bad about the reviews?
just look at them, their sick
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2012 at 3:19am
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2012 at 5:52am
Looks like there's yet another account to shut down-

ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2012 at 4:44am
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2012 at 7:09am
This account is a spam king-  http://trusnow.com/profile.asp?PF=316108
Anyone got rid of it yet?
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2012 at 2:52am
RastaRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RastaRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2012 at 10:52am
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2012 at 11:38am
Originally posted by RastaRider

Lovely reviews

http://www.trusnow.com/profile.asp?PF=331668

Holy hell those reviews are the shittiest I have read in a long time.  Obvious point w h o r e.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2012 at 1:25am
anyone want some Nike, check out the spam king for your pairLOL

Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2012 at 11:31pm
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2012 at 3:14am
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2012 at 2:38am
http://www.trusnow.com/profile.asp?PF=326365

3 Poor Quality Reviews... Nuff Said

snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2012 at 3:35am
^I was thinking the same thing.  All in about 10 minutes too.  Now being from AU he might have actually bought the products all together, but "Good board" doesn't cut it around here.
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2012 at 11:17am
Edit:  made a mistake.  nothing to see here.  carry on.
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2012 at 11:57pm
Yay. New 3 AM spammer is here!

At least this time he is pushing some decent looking Nikes. Dont care for the Adidas though.

If these dumb ass spammers had half a brain they would come here with some dirt cheap snowboard gear. Not a bunch of random BS.
gsrrr View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
shred ze gnar

Quote gsrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2012 at 12:00am
BAM.  Thanks chillwill.
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2012 at 12:34am

BAM.  Thanks chillwill.

Thank You gsrrr. For layin the smack down to these spammers from across the globe.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 34>