Review Spam

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 34567 34>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Surfs_up View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Surfs_up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review Spam
    Posted: Apr/12/2009 at 11:02am
he should at least cite where he got it from.
Jack Off View Drop Down
Local
Local
into the box

Quote Jack Off Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2009 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Surfs_up

thats not the point. reviews should be done on products they people actually own or have used enough so that they can give a personal opinion on them in their own words. copy and paste... he just wants points and by posting fake/useless reviews is just a waste of time for everyone.
if i jumped onto your back, would you beat me off?
Kona View Drop Down
Local
Local
kona

Quote Kona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 9:25am
Does demo days count as enough to review a product?  I know of one community member who has racked up on tons of points from reviews lately, not to mention hangs out mainly in the advice
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 9:36am
Originally posted by konakid

Does demo days count as enough to review a product?  I know of one community member who has racked up on tons of points from reviews lately, not to mention hangs out mainly in the advice
I think a demo counts if you know enough about boards to make an educated decision on a board while only riding it for a little while.  Personally I feel like if I demo something I can give a fairly accurate description of it.
www.chargeharder.com
Ty Phi View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
You devil, you

Quote Ty Phi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 9:38am

Kona's right.

Here's a link to the worst review spammer I've seen yet.
xxsweet_jen24xx View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote xxsweet_jen24xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 9:38am
Originally posted by BRUIZZA

Originally posted by konakid

I think a demo counts if you know enough about boards to make an educated decision on a board while only riding it for a little while.  Personally I feel like if I demo something I can give a fairly accurate description of it.

Yes, because you have ridden tons of different boards, and you know what to look for. Most of these kids have not, and don't have anything to compare the boards to in order to make an educated decision about them. I do not feel that if I demo'd a board for a couple of hours I could make an educated review of it, simply because I have only ridden a couple of boards.
mattaleao View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary... come again?

Quote mattaleao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 9:40am
Someone please handle this idiot:

http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/profilepage.asp?PF=39482

I'm just here for the titties
herbbread View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote herbbread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 9:43am
Originally posted by mattaleao

seems like he's been 'handled' quite a bit already
Local
Local

Quote xxsweet_jen24xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Ty Phi

Kona's right.

Is it wrong that I seriously enjoyed watching that guys points go from 120 to 57 in the matter of a minute?
Local
Local

Quote xxsweet_jen24xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 9:46am
Originally posted by mattaleao

I've been trying to handle him for 3 days now. He just keeps making more bogus reviews after we delete them. Plus he's making tons of bogus threads, but there's nothing we can do about that.
fostpaint View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote fostpaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 9:46am
Originally posted by xxsweet_jen24xx

Kona's right.

Is it wrong that I seriously enjoyed watching that guys points go from 120 to 57 in the matter of a minute?

If it's wrong, I don't want to be right.....
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 9:57am
We as a community just have to keep on looking for bogus reviews/threads.
www.chargeharder.com
crabberapple View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote crabberapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 9:58am
i like being the one to make the review dissappear Broken Heart
bsimon2 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bsimon2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 10:03am

Kona's right.

I was spanking that kid left and right.

I loved how his review for all non-burton boards was:  "but burton instead"
myach View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote myach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 10:04am
this thread is fun! post more spammers so I can enjoy it as much as jen!
fostpaint View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote fostpaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 10:06am
Originally posted by bsimon2

Kona's right.

Yeah, funny how all is non-burton reviews were Forum. Whooops!
bsimon2 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bsimon2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 10:07am
^^^ I laughed at that too.
craigalicious View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote craigalicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 10:08am
Originally posted by fostpaint

Originally posted by bsimon2

Kona's right.

Yeah, funny how all is non-burton reviews were Forum. Whooops!

burton operator according to him:
Award Nominations: Best All Mountain, Best Powder Board, Best Freeride Board, Best Freestyle Board, Best Jibstick Board, Best Big Air Board

really?  come on now.

bsimon2 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bsimon2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 10:12am
I want an E-SwiftKickInTheNuts button under the spam button for some of these people.

Nighthawk, get on that!  Please.
fostpaint View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote fostpaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 10:12am
His forum stuff was a lot of "too stiff, too soft, etc etc etc" Those were easy to spank.
Mike.M View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
OUTSIDE MY DECK

Quote Mike.M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 10:13am
FYI---

I will be doing 5 reviews per day until I reach Bruz stauture

I hope you enjoy them. In my opinion, they are informative and funny. I always try to identify one unique quality of whatever product i am reviewing. I am old and have ridden too much stuff

For some reason i have not gotten 20 points that ss.com owes me for today.

Where are the 3000 points you owe me DavidBig smile
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Mike.M

FYI---

I hope you enjoy them. In my opinion, they are informative and funny. I always try to identify one unique quality of whatever product i am reviewing. I am old and have ridden too much stuff

Considering how much snowboarding knowledge you have all of your reviews are a welcome change to most of the stuff that gets posted.  You can have 1000 of my points for your knowledge. 
www.chargeharder.com
myach View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote myach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 10:23am
man I have a really hard to distinguishing spam and not spam...

is it spam if they just check boxes?
Mike.M View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
OUTSIDE MY DECK

Quote Mike.M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 10:25am

Originally posted by Mike.M

FYI---

Considering how much snowboarding knowledge you have all of your reviews are a welcome change to most of the stuff that gets posted.  You can have 1000 of my points for your knowledge. 

Hahahaha...

As you know how implulsive i am i NEED a Rome Agent 56 Now...or any Nitro 156 or 157
Instructor
Instructor

Quote craigalicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 10:25am
Originally posted by myach

man I have a really hard to distinguishing spam and not spam...

is it spam if they just check boxes?

yes.  especially if they do it 5 times a day, every day.

myach View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote myach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 11:09am
I refuse to believe any of that jakehall's reviews are real... but I'm no expert...

I don't think you can trust any of their reviews after they posted bogus ones...

Surfs_up View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Surfs_up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Jack Off

Originally posted by Surfs_up

thats not the point. reviews should be done on products they people actually own or have used enough so that they can give a personal opinion on them in their own words. copy and paste... he just wants points and by posting fake/useless reviews is just a waste of time for everyone.

LOL, I was only joking dudeeeee.LOLLOLLOL  You must be an accountant which is something we always joke about.  Accountants seem to always take things literally, by the way I'm going to be an accountant.  I'm still taking classes I don't think anyone in that class laughs at jokes besides me and 2 other people. I hope I don't become a Square Bear!!!
Ty Phi View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
You devil, you

Quote Ty Phi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 11:56am
Wow that snowboard lover guy got spanked. Nice guys!
Local
Local

Quote xxsweet_jen24xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2009 at 4:23pm
http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/profilepage_reviews.asp?PF=85893

Useful for waxing? You don't say...
Local
Local

Quote xxsweet_jen24xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2009 at 4:27pm
http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/profilepage_reviews.asp?PF=86767

Apparently, "Shipped the same day" is a review...
Wizard1990 View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote Wizard1990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2009 at 4:34pm
Lol, look at the first dudes pics. He has one of those Cheetah Whip boards.
I only snowboard because its cool.
Local
Local

Quote xxsweet_jen24xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2009 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Wizard1990

Lol, look at the first dudes pics. He has one of those Cheetah Whip boards.

No, he has a picture of one, lol.
dlaw View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote dlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2009 at 5:05pm
i don't think people should get points for reviewing things like socks, hats, beanies, and t-shirts.  What is there to say about those type of products?  What you see is what you get.  It quite obvious that people who have a dozen or so sock reviews are only doing it for points.  Where reviews count: boards, bindings, boots, etc. is where people should be able to earn points.
Local
Local

Quote xxsweet_jen24xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2009 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by dlaw

i don't think people should get points for reviewing things like socks, hats, beanies, and t-shirts.  What is there to say about those type of products?  What you see is what you get.  It quite obvious that people who have a dozen or so sock reviews are only doing it for points.  Where reviews count: boards, bindings, boots, etc. is where people should be able to earn points.

I agree. I seriously don't need a sock review to make up my mind if I want to get them or not. Socks are socks. However, t-shirts, I kind of understand, because I always like to know how they fit. Some t-shirts fit snug, while some fit bigger. It's hard for me to buy t-shirts sometimes, so I like to see what other girls have said about them so I can kind of judge rather or not I will be able to wear them.

The problem with those types of reviews is that all of these people who are just making something up in order to get the points will only say things like, "Good graphics." as if you can't make up your own mind on rather or not the graphic is appealing. When in reality, what people need to know is how the shirt fits, and if it is made of quality material that is going to hold up for more than a couple of washes.
dlaw View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote dlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2009 at 2:49am
now that we have a "Flag as spam" button why not have a "Flag a good review" button?  When 3 or more people flag the review as a solid review the person will then receive points until then its just a review with no points earned.  I know its probably over complicating the system but just some ideas.
amanda.lewicki View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote amanda.lewicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2009 at 3:39am
Dlaw that's a great idea.

Also, I could see how a review of tshirts is good because tshirts fit different. As far as hats and socks, some people think quality is important and would check reviews on them. I could see how the system could be abused though.
MrStak View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote MrStak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2009 at 5:23am
If they're gonna talk about the quality of the sock or hat, then they should state it in the Other section. If they just check off boxes and count that as a review then wtheck? That's abuse no? I agree with you Amanda but we're talking about the people who just review every sock/hat/shirt and check off boxes on them. If I saw a review of a sock with an actual written part of the quality and how it feels and holds up after a day of boarding, I wouldn't flag it.
Ty Phi View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
You devil, you

Quote Ty Phi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2009 at 5:49am
Take boxes off?

In the boxes place you could have a list of qualities to cover while writing your review.

Like this:

Don't forget to include comments about:
  • Stiffness
  • Powder Performance
  • Groomer Performace
  • Fit
  • Comfort
  • Warmth
  • Waterproofing
  • Etc.
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2009 at 5:53am
I reviewed a pair of socks.  Of course they are really thin socks so I thought folks should know that.  I have also reviewed some hoodies.  I agree though the most important reviews are on the hard goods.  I like the idea of a review needs 3 approvals before you get the points.
www.chargeharder.com
Instructor
Instructor

Quote craigalicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2009 at 6:01am

I reviewed a pair of socks.  Of course they are really thin socks so I thought folks should know that.  I have also reviewed some hoodies.  I agree though the most important reviews are on the hard goods.  I like the idea of a review needs 3 approvals before you get the points.

yeah i reviewed a pair of socks to let people know that there really isn't much of a difference between them and regular sock.  reviews on things like socks are only necessary if it's for info that isn't already known about the socks.

for example: "these socks are padded." vs. "the padding on these socks really doesn't make a difference at all.  don't waste your money on these socks unless you really want them.  just get a regular pair of socks if you're considering these, or get a higher grade sock."

the bolded review example is obviously the good one.

icymallard View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote icymallard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2009 at 10:32pm
no, requiring 3 approvals for points would be a bad thing to do to reviews.

most ppl would vote for neg reviews, as negative reviews tend to shed light on the information ppl want to hear. however, this may skew the reviews as more ppl would then tend to point out negatives or give low ratings to get readers to read their review so they can get points...
Mike.M View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
OUTSIDE MY DECK

Quote Mike.M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2009 at 12:21pm
Socks are important!

I only wear the buffer sock
Boogeyman24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Boogeyman24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2009 at 12:28pm
+1 to dlaw's idea about needing 3 "good reviews" before points are received.  that should pretty much eliminate people spamming the review because they won't get their points anymore.  hopefully enough people will still fill out reviews on stuff they actually have, without caring about the points.  either way a fake review is worse than no reviews imo.  
Say Shhhhhh...
Jack Off View Drop Down
Local
Local
into the box

Quote Jack Off Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2009 at 1:28pm
if i jumped onto your back, would you beat me off?
crazyballer View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote crazyballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2009 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Jack Off

http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/profilepage_reviews.asp?PF=106022

another one. flag away boys!

this guy is retarded

he started a tread asking for anything in the free stuff section

not only should all his reviews get flagged, but he should get banned, imho
Board: 2008 Forum Seeker - 152
Bindings: 2009 White Union Force - M/L
Boots: 2008 Atomic Kush (Looking for an upgrade!) - 9

Twitter:http://twitter.com/jonli
*adolfo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
At Homewood

Quote *adolfo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2009 at 8:04pm
Rydog3004

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Male with reviews on female boots.....UNLEASH THE FURRY!
Lost my old account, started a new one.....maybe I will I get the noob good luck and win something ;)
*adolfo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
At Homewood

Quote *adolfo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2009 at 8:07pm
kcadi1325

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Male with reviews on Arbor Push....female snowboard...UNLEASH THE FURRY!!!
Lost my old account, started a new one.....maybe I will I get the noob good luck and win something ;)
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2009 at 8:12pm
^ Link to their profiles?
*adolfo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
At Homewood

Quote *adolfo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2009 at 8:22pm
http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/profilepage.asp?PF=48987

http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/profilepage.asp?PF=85377

Also, I admit, I have one bogus review....but it was more of a compliment to the model posing.....she is nice
larry26 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote larry26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2009 at 3:13am
Can you report someone for spam posts as well cause i have seen alot of posts where people are just trying to get their free points and not contribute to anything.
larry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 34>