Re: anit-theft device that is not useless

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mistermfive View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mistermfive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Re: anit-theft device that is not useless
    Posted: Nov/01/2006 at 2:28pm
Hi guys, my name is Alex and my current setup for this year is the 2006 Burton Vapor, 2006 Burton Cartel, and 2005 Salomon F24 men's size 4.5 (i know my feet are microscopicly small dammit!). 
  I have spent all my savings on this equipment as renting mountain stuff for the past few years just didn't cut it anymore (especially rental smelly boots!!).

I would really hate for my stuff to get stolen as I had spent all my savings on it and when I looked at the anti-theft device, they just suck.  I know I know, it's supposed to deter theft as someone who would want to steal your stuff would rather go for something not chained up.  But you know, the locks are made with such thin wire that stealing it would be a cinch.  Even though it would deter theft, there is still going to be that one guy who has the balls to cut the wire, grab your shit, and go.

So i have a better idea in which i was unable to find anything on the internet.  they have compustar for cars, a paging alarm that tells you who is messing with your car along with an alarm going off.  Does ANYONE know about a similar device for snowboards??  obiviously, it would be ridiculous to lug around a siren in your backpack and mount it to your snowboard, but don't they have any tracking devices/paging/gps that will alert you if you stuff is being moved???

It's either im dumb and i can't find a product like this or the manufacturers are really stupid.  I have been trying to find some anti-theft devices, especially for snowboards that incorporates gps tracking or at least a paging system that will send you a signal to your device and let you know where your system is.  of course this device/sensor has to be small enough to hide inside your binding and durable enough to withstand water (completely waterproof) and be very discreet so the guy jacking your stuff doesn't just rip it off (but then again, a good system would alert you if your stuff is getting ripped off).  i have across nothing of this sort so either i am not looking in the right place or the manufacturer's are too freaking stupid to come up with an idea for this.  i mean, this device shouldn't just be for my board but for everyone since it would really suck to have to take the chairlift down the mountain and go home or purchase new equipment cuz of someone who jacked your stuff.  plus you would have to spend a lot of unnecessary money to buy your stuff back.

so if anyone can come across a device like this, please let me know.  i live in vancouver, bc , canada and will be going to grousse mt, whistler, and cypress.  ive been hearing a lot of theft in those areas during those coming years and with the investment i have made, i really don't want my stuff to get jacked and wouldnt spending the money for an anti-theft gps device to protect it, rather than some wire lock that could get snipped in 2 seconds.

ps, if anyone has any comments on my setup, please let me know.  i dont know how well these boots will work with my setup as these were the smallest men's boots i could find and i dont know how good/comfortable the 2006 cartels are so if anyone has feedback on that, it would be great!

thanks
evernod View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
thank you, goodnight!

Quote evernod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2006 at 2:35pm
whew! i don't believe anything like that exists BUT i have a friend who rides with one of those very thick cable bike locks and uses that. i use a normal snowboard lock, but tend to keep an eye on my board.

this place is bleak.
gsrrr View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
shred ze gnar

Quote gsrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2006 at 2:42pm
hmmm 3-400 system fora setup thats 1200....

cantbeyou View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote cantbeyou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2006 at 5:36pm
^^^thats what i was thinking. why not just get like a couple of the locks and put them on both bindings and that way it would take atleast twice as long to cut the cables. Or, you could hire someone for $10 an hour to look after it when you go in the lodge or whatever. That would probly be cheaper than getting a gps transmitter for the board.

You could contact GAS (MtV pimp my ride) and see if they could hook you up with that. They did put a tv on a snowboard awhile back...
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2006 at 7:24pm
i just lock my gear up and keep it in plain site if i get worried, either bringing it inside the lodge or keeping it right outside the lodge window.
davidmullane View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote davidmullane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2006 at 6:53pm
I have an alright theory i think. Like a claymore, set up a personal alarm system with a string that you pull and the alarm goes off. They are referred to as a personal alarm i think. lie the board against something and descretly ties the string from the alarm to whatever it is leaning on. Then stick the alarm on the base of your board with a quick tape job and, hey presto one personal alarm system with trip wire. This would stop any theif in a crouded environment as the alarm would make them S&%T themselves.
ID# 1062<br /><br />Board: Salamon Special 159!!<br />Boots: DC Judge<br />Bindings: Cartels - Kelly Green<br />Outwear: Section<br />Best Place Boarded: Japan<br /><br />Stance: +15/-6 <br /><br />
gsrrr View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
shred ze gnar

Quote gsrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2006 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by davidmullane

I have an alright theory i think. Like a claymore, set up a personal alarm system with a string that you pull and the alarm goes off. They are referred to as a personal alarm i think. lie the board against something and descretly ties the string from the alarm to whatever it is leaning on. Then stick the alarm on the base of your board with a quick tape job and, hey presto one personal alarm system with trip wire. This would stop any theif in a crouded environment as the alarm would make them S&%T themselves.

thats like how all the stores have they digital cameras on displayed secured. but i mean its a snowboard setup. a board and bindings. where are you going to hide this security setup? cable lock and/or just dont let it out of your sight.
Local
Local

Quote davidmullane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2006 at 7:03pm
I still say it could be done and it would be fun to mess around with. The alarm could just be taped onto the bottom of your board and then tie the string off.
they are only a small unit like this

ID# 1062<br /><br />Board: Salamon Special 159!!<br />Boots: DC Judge<br />Bindings: Cartels - Kelly Green<br />Outwear: Section<br />Best Place Boarded: Japan<br /><br />Stance: +15/-6 <br /><br />
cantbeyou View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote cantbeyou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2006 at 7:56pm
or you could tie one of the pull fireworks to it. i tied one of those to my gf's car door and she about had a heart attack
Local
Local

Quote davidmullane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2006 at 8:01pm
That would be a really funny snowboard video if they just did that for a little while and then through it in between some pipe and big airs. I was just flicking through some videos on the net and found real wrestling. These guys were all cut to pieces and about to die.
faded-a-fool View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote faded-a-fool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2006 at 9:39pm
My lock is called "friends", you tell em "keep an eye out will ya?".  I never eat at the lodge (bring a lunch) so i don't have to worry about getting a window seat.Thumbs%20Up
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2006 at 4:19am

What if you got a several snowboards equipped with this lock-alarm and someone knocks all the boards down? You're gonna have quite a show angering all the other riders.. Angry mob anyone?
cantbeyou View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote cantbeyou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2006 at 5:29am
just get a cheap used snowboard from 1998. noones going to want to steal it, so you dont have to worry about all that
gsrrr View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
shred ze gnar

Quote gsrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2006 at 7:56am
OR pay some big bucks and get a series 13 board. no one will know what kind of board you really have.
EDK007 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote EDK007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2006 at 7:15pm

Just spray paint RENTAL on the Vapor.
They'll leave it alone!!!
LibTRS MTX - <a href=http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=16>Burton</a> P1's, Ride Timeless - <a href=http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=16>Burton</a> P1's.   She's like a cold alibi, she's the trick you'd never try, she's the drug you've always wanted, but the one you'd never buy...
zagfan5 View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
whatever

Quote zagfan5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2006 at 8:50pm
just dont go to the lodge.....

me and y friends pack our lunches and eat em around our car in larn chair

that way we always have our boards in sight

as far as drinks go, just have one person go in and get drinks for everyone and drink em outside with your board right next to you

or drink em inside with you boards next to you
Camber Is The New Rocker.
mistermfive View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote mistermfive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2006 at 6:57pm
thnx for the replies pplr!  ya most pplr are quite nice up in the mountains but there are the odd few that will think of nasty thinks like stealing other pplr's equipment.  i honestly rather not shell out 300 bux and get a paging system for my snowboard and equipment but if it will save the board from getting jacked, then that would be a good investment in the longrun.  ya, i myte try the rotate ur friends thing so ur stuff doenst get jacked, but i doubt they'll be a nice enuf person in our group who is willing to wait outside and look after the boards while the others eat!
gsrrr View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
shred ze gnar

Quote gsrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2006 at 7:05pm
you need some new snowboarding buddies.

if you think the cool lock has a very tiny cable, check out this other dakine lock for $5.00 HERE
Local
Local

Quote davidmullane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2006 at 7:12pm
Pay for my air fares and ill be your buddy and carry all your stuff around. Interested? that goes for anyone else around the community.
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2006 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by gsrrr

you need some new snowboarding buddies.

if you think the cool lock has a very tiny cable, check out this other dakine lock for $5.00 HERE

that reminds me of the bike locks back from the 90's. that's what i used to use with my board LOL
zagfan5 View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
whatever

Quote zagfan5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2006 at 8:31pm
o man, my bike lock was soo heavy and cool

yeah, it was a bell

i still need to get a lock though
Camber Is The New Rocker.
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2006 at 8:37pm
do the deed:

http://shop.sierrasnowboard.com/browse.cfm/4,2142.htm

this year i'm rocking the leash/lock from dakine.
Local
Local

Quote davidmullane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2006 at 8:39pm
It would be the best if they combined the lag strap and a lock.
gsrrr View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
shred ze gnar

Quote gsrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2006 at 3:12am

a leash and a lock? thats what nu-nu is using.

this is one version of dakine's lock/leash

cantbeyou View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote cantbeyou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2006 at 6:19am

Pay for my air fares and ill be your buddy and carry all your stuff around. Interested? that goes for anyone else around the community.

id be up for that too

i got one of the cheap locks from walmart (only like $2) last year and it kinda looked like the lock and cable, and it was just a nuisance. the lock didnt do that well when it got wet, the numbers were hard to turn, and it tended to get all twisted in my pocket and just got in the way. I'd definitely go for one of the other locks or like what nu-nu has.
Local
Local

Quote davidmullane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2006 at 11:35am
Damn i never pay attention.
esy.iam View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote esy.iam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2006 at 10:27pm
if you're THAT worried about getting your setup jacked (not to say, that i trust leaving my shit outside either), then just take the time to take it back to your car, eat, theng rab it again. or go buy your food (if you eat at the lodge) and eat at your car or whatever. that's you're next best bet aside from rockin' a cable/lock or using the board check-in like most resorts have. the whole alarm idea is a little silly, wouldn't you agree?
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2006 at 7:27am
Originally posted by gsrrr

a leash and a lock? thats what nu-nu is using.

this is one version of dakine's lock/leash

that's the exact one i'm using.. it can be used as a leash, but i just use it for a lock.. it's much better than my oversized bike lock
GIJ0E69 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote GIJ0E69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2006 at 3:40pm
I just use a big U-Lock for a bicycle..no one would wnat ot fuck wid dat unless u really wnana break the bindings
Setup

Board: Lib Tech Emma Peel 159, Palmer Centric 158
Bindings: Burton CO2, Ride Tomcat
Boots: Burton Ion 2007

Stance: +18 Front, -12 Rear
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2006 at 4:58pm
or just unscrew the 3-4 screws of the binding from the board and walk away with a board and half a binding.. LOL
cantbeyou View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote cantbeyou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2006 at 7:13pm
lol. seems like the best solution for that would be to drill a nice hole in the board so you can lock up the actual board and have the bindings locked up through the hole as well
hpydrft View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote hpydrft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2006 at 8:57pm
Don't know about you guys but if you want a GPS system, ask Q.. you know 007's gadget maker... haha first thing I thought was damn gps is overdoing it.

I say just get any lock there is out there. As you said they probably wouldnt bother with a locked board since people will think its suspicious that a guy without gear is snipping away at a lock with probably some big wire cutters. Just keep an eye on your board often. Maybe go outside a few times to fiddle with it if anyones eyeing it so they know you check up on it.
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2006 at 7:22am
If I see anyone even remotely trying to lift my board and walk away with it, i'm taking him down without questioning.
 Post Reply Post Reply