Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ja*07 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
my girly side

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breaking up is hard to do!
    Posted: Apr/24/2009 at 11:44am
When I started riding a while back, Burton seemed like THE top choice. It's the monster in the riding business, it's stylish, and as much as it can be expensive, their "get the most bang for your buck" is usualy there....

BUT...
as I've become more advanced (baussinnnn'!) and spend 5 days a week on the hill, I've become less and less of a fan of Burton! Snow pants I've dished out a good 170 on lasted me less than a season before losing it's waterproof-ness and before holes started to appear, bindings I've used for less than 2 seasons have snapped toe strap, etc.

SO...I'm breaking up with Burton ! </3
Not that I'm against the company AT ALL (they've done alot for/with the shred community) buuuuuut, why not chose other companies which are not known as widely are as as good or even better? I'm going cold-turkey on Burton! Next season, I'll be shedding the B-board, B-bindings, B-boots and B-snowpants for not necessarily bigger, but better "humble" stuff. :)

I've tried a rome board this season and union bindings....and hoenstly fell in love with how it felt/handled <3
Jaimie :)
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2009 at 3:03pm
word.

I'm a big fan of their boards, and some of their outergear, but I prefer other brands for bindings, boots, and just about everything else.

I still think their boards are second to none in terms of what's easily available.

I'm here for the gangbang....
Mike.M View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
OUTSIDE MY DECK

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2009 at 3:05pm
Sometimes what is good for a recreational rider is not good for a 100 day plus rider!

I need gloves and socks and boots  cuz that is what i wear out
heischjr View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2009 at 2:24am
I have used a few of Ride's snowboards and I really like them.  I currently have the Ride DH.  You should check them out also.
bmcmahan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2009 at 3:26am

I have to agree, I've started to move away from Burton Softgood becuase they just dont seem to last as long as they should with that kind of price tag.  I've started buing SB clothing becuase it is a fraction of the cost and if I mess it up it is not that big of a deal. 

I'm not knockig SB, I think they have quality stuff at a very fair price.
heischjr View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2009 at 6:10am
Originally posted by bmcmahan

I have to agree, I've started to move away from Burton Softgood becuase they just dont seem to last as long as they should with that kind of price tag.  I've started buing SB clothing becuase it is a fraction of the cost and if I mess it up it is not that big of a deal. 

I'm not knockig SB, I think they have quality stuff at a very fair price.

I believe that SB is a Burton Co.
Swissmiss21482 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2009 at 1:19pm
I have a love/hate relationship with Burton. I love their clothes because they fit me perfectly(although I have had to take some in to be patched, zippers replaced), but I am less than thrilled with their snowboards, bindings, and boots.  My first board was a Burton(and it will always have a special place in my heart, and under my bed) but I don't think I would purchase another one. I have absolutely fell in love with Gnu, and I am so happy to have a brand that understand a girls needs! The hate part of the relationship is watching people that buy Burton just to have a brand name board, and don't even research the purchase. It drives me crazy. But that isn't Burton's fault, so I guess I could say I hate those people? I too have been slowing breaking up with Burton, but I don't think I could ever completely nix them. 
141 Gnu B- Street BTX w/ Rome 390's
orGABasm View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2009 at 4:13am

I can partially agree with Jaimie on this one. Although i'm a fairly new rider, and have only riden Burton bindings which, so far, have been very good to me. I can't say as much about their outerwear. It may fit wonderfully, and be super comfy, but i got a jacket that has lasted me two seasons... Only because i don't mind being cold and wet? Yeah, the waterproof factor wore out really quickly and the jacket as actually thinned out. Too bad, it was my favourite up to date.

Basically, if you ride 5 to 6 times a week.. Burton's outerwear seems to be a no-go.
Thanks for reading! One orGABasm for you! <3
dimm0k View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Mammoth, CA - Jan 07, 2009

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2009 at 5:04am
All I have to say is good luck Ja*07!  When I started out I was pretty big on Burton too and while I still like their products and design I try to expand my horizons with other brands... unfortunately it's not easy to separate yourself once you've gone Burton.
stance: regular, front/back: 15/-15
old: Technine '04 MFM Pro bindings, Forum JP Walker 147cm
new: Burton '09 Triad EST bindings, Burton '09 Custom ICS 151cm
ShredbettyZoe View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
<3

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 5:56am
my pink jkt is Burton, I hate how it fits, but i love the color... its an ok compromise but it has some major design flaws to it... which i was not really impressed with... you would think for that kind of money the jkt would at least have an ipod pocket that the headphone jack can get INTO... I love their socks. Burton snowboard sock are the only thing ill wear riding. I dont really like how a lot of their womens stuff fits, but I think theyre starting to make better fitting womens specific things.

I persnioally really dislike burton bindings, but everyone already knows that. Gab I'm glad you're happy with yours now.

I def support smaller companies over Burton. I'm not against Burton at all, I just find their stuff way over priced, and you dont really get bang for buck - you're def paying for a brand product (ill admit their tech is good, but too much $$$ for it). I also realise that a lot of brands are owned by Burton and its hard to avoid altogether.

Jaimie Im glad you're gonna look into something other than Burton for next winter :-) ssss'gonna be fun! thats not to say Burton doesnt make good products hah. I'm sure you'll do your research and be extremly happy with whatever you buy!

I guess bottom line, I support Burton, but im not dedicated...

Originally posted by orGABasm

Basically, if you ride 5 to 6 times a week.. Burton's outerwear seems to be a no-go.
Their AK line is actually amazing....
jewbz View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 9:50am
thats why i like to buy stuff thats 40% or more off so i dont feel too ripped off. the only thing i've really had from burton are their socks, wax, tuning tools and bindings. haven't really had an issue with them. love my unions better than my cartels but i guess its all a learning experience so next time you know what to go for and what you'll want to stay away from.
their bullet tool is the best tool you can have in your pocket while on the hill!!!
dre404 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2009 at 8:55pm
ya burton is huge the only burton i buy is during the summer and their socks
the socks are worth it.... but i ride Santa Cruz to support the local
myach View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2009 at 8:06pm
I only own burton boots... and I'm looking to replace those with 32
I don't really plan on getting anything burton, they are a little pricey to me also
Dooley View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2009 at 1:08pm
burton is all about the name now. there are top quality products out there for so much less.
Burton Elite 158 (2008) || Burton Missons (2008) || GNU Park Pickle 153 (2010) || Forum TK Destroyer (2009) || Union Force SL (2009)
Ja*07 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
my girly side

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2009 at 3:55pm
I'm thinking this set up for next year:

Forum Spinster Board
Union Data bindings
Proooooobably ThirtyTwo boots (not quite sure what model)

Any opinions???
scottlui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2009 at 11:26pm
I love Burton stuff.. I do stay away from their lower end products because their quality seems to be questionable but I believe the same can be true about other brands as well.. I tend to not buy Burton outerwear, not because I think it's low quality but because I like other brands more. But I have had burton outwear in the past and it held up just fine. I rarely ever wash my stuff but when I do, I DO NOT use detergent of any sort. Occasionally, I'll use Nikwax Tech Wash but usually, water is good enough. I don't currently own any Burton snowboards (currently own Gnu, Capita, K2) but the most durable board I ever had was a Burton Twin. I gave that poor thing a beating but it held up like a champ. The best bindings I've ever owned are my Burton co2s that I've been using for the last 3 seasons. I did switch out the straps recently, they new co2 straps are SICK! I also have union forces that are AWESOME but I don't use them a whole lot. I miss my old Burton Ions. I let my friend borrow them and he never gave em back. I'll admit, I don't really have a lot of Burton stuff but they've been good to me and I'll continue to support their products. 
scottlui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2009 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by Ja*07

Forum Spinster Board
Union Data bindings

Any opinions???

Did you know Burton also owns Forum? 

Union bindings are great. They're an awesome company and make High quality stuff. I've been wearing 32 boots for the past 3 seasons. I currently use ultralights and love the way they fit my feet but that doesn't mean they'll work for you. I'd recommend going to a shop and trying on a bunch of different brands and models and see what feels the best on your foot.
ShredbettyZoe View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
<3

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2009 at 6:43am

Forum Spinster Board
Union Data bindings

Any opinions???
Jaimie I think you will loooove this setup. The spinster is supposed to be one of the top wmns park boards, i know you liked the forces and the Data is almost identical...  dont be afraid to rock some from previous years for cheaper if you can find them online - but good luck with that lol. you could also get some Forces if you cant find the Datas. theyre basically the same binding. you can check out their special collab bindings too, those are always fun :-) but more $$$

I might be getting some 32's next winter too :-( Gotta replace my deeluxes cause they'ev packed out and Deeluxe isnt sold in NA anymore OI... le sigh.

<3
scottlui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2009 at 6:54am
I have 08 and 09 Forces and they are almost identical. One thing about those unions, since they are men's bindings, is make sure they are the right size for you boots. According to Union, M/L fits men's sizes 7-10, but that can vary. It's a good idea to get your boots first and then fit them into a binder. 
Jigkidd View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
TWISTER!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2009 at 10:07am
What kind of bindings did you have?
I have some 09 Burton Freestyles and they've lasted me since January.
and I went about 3 times a week for 8 hours from jan-early april.
And I still have 'em.
dudeguy-man View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 11:50am
Ya man, i totally agree. When i first started, burton was the shiz and that's all i wanted to ride. (mainly because, i had just started so i didn't know anymore brands). Now that i've been riding for 6 years, I don't even use burton. They definitely make some good products, but a lot of their stuff is way overpriced and low performing. Move away from the obvious, stock brands, and really get into snowboarding.
dudeguy-man View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 11:54am
Burton makes good bindings. I've had a pair of customs for 1 and 1\2 years now and they're still going strong. But union's better. I'm getting contacts.
scottlui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 12:20pm
Burton's low-end stuff tends to be pretty crappy (I stay away!!!), but the same can be said about the other big companies as well. However, Burton's warranty and customer service is second to none. They know how to treat their customers. If you buy something Burton and it falls apart in less than a year, send it in to Burton. Chances are, they'll make it right. 
scottlui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2009 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by dudeguy-man

Burton makes good bindings. I've had a pair of customs for 1 and 1\2 years now and they're still going strong. But union's better. I'm getting contacts.

For the money, nothing beats Unions! 
Ja*07 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
my girly side

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2009 at 5:43am

So if I've had these Burton Lexa bindings for about 1 &1/2 seasons and the toe strap snapped, I could prob get a new strap for free ?

scottlui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2009 at 10:29am
There's always a chance. what part is broken? the ratchet, the leather or the plastic? If it's the plastic than they'll replace it in a heartbeat. 
Ja*07 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
my girly side

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 10:12am
yep the plastic just snapped!  Soooo good news for me then :)
scottlui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 10:35am
Yeah that part costs like 2 cents to make - probably less. 

as far as your outerwear:

Snow pants I've dished out a good 170 on lasted me less than a season before losing it's waterproof-ness and before holes started to appear

That can happen to anything if you're not caring for it properly. You should send it in to Burton and see if they will do anything for you. You might end up with a new pair of pants Smile. If there's holes in it you don't really have anything to lose if you try. 
scottlui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 11:04am
So I just realized, your strap is technically not covered under warranty since it has been over a year. I've heard that the newer bindings have been more prone to breakage than their older ones. So here's what you do.. Mail them only the broken strap (don't say how long you've had it). Write them a note explaining to them how displeased you are with the quality of their product and that you are considering replacing your Burtons with Unions because they guarantee their bindings for life. If they don't replace the strap, bring your broken strap to a Burton demo tent. I've gotten free straps a couple times from the tent. Good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply