Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 1415161718>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official Surfing Thread
    Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 9:24pm
Anyone watching pipe? Not that many waves being made, stacks of big wipeouts at least.

Hopefully the swell sticks around for the rest of the comp.

http://volcompipepro.com/videos/
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2012 at 4:07pm
Epic finish to the comp, John John stealing it from J.O.B. is dying seconds. That kid is going to be BIG.

So good to see an event run from start to finish in ideal conditions, well maybe it was too big on some days...
gunda pickle View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote gunda pickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2012 at 4:56am
Looking to start off this spring in NH.
Anyone have any recs between Zapsticks and Cinnamon Rainbows shops?
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2012 at 7:05pm
Anyone watchin the quicky pro? Here we go for another year with the news that J Bay has just been downgraded to a WQS event. Going to be an interesting year, already seen the search event cancelled too.

Fairly predictably Kelly is off to a flyer, notching 18.80/20 in the first 10 mins of his heat... How is a 40 year old still so good.

http://quiksilverlive.com/progoldcoast/2012/live.en.html

Check it out
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2012 at 7:39pm
I know kelly is one of the best surfer very, well probably the best and one of the best athletes too. 
I don't see why he would retire. If you love to surf contest are great for you. You get to surf the best spots in the world with a few guys. 
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2012 at 1:04pm
Yeah, he's pretty much said as much for the last couple of years. I would be still going too, what a lifestyle, and he's obviously still hungry to prove himself against the latest crop.

Bummer to see Dane get knocked out early, but Taj ripped and deserved to win.

I think we're in for a close race this year, John John, Medina and Andino will be keen to prove themselves on their 1st full year. All the usual Aussie suspects that are in the top 10. Plus Julien Wilson who seems super hungry. Jordie if stays fit.... I think it's going to be CLOSE.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2012 at 3:26pm
Yea I agree it is sad it see dane go but I don't think Taj had a 9.40 ride but it doesn't matter bc he surfed better. I would of put it at high 8 or a 9.

I hope Andino does well but I think that is still a few years off.  He an awesome surfer but I don't know if he is well round enough to go far. But I think he had one of the best contest waves i have ever seen. 

I am sad Medina is out. End of last year he was the one that could keep up with kelly. But how kelly is surfing. I don't know if it will be close, ha ha 
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2012 at 11:34am
Finals will all be run today. Surf isn't great, but they are running out of time to finish.

http://quiksilverlive.com/progoldcoast/2012/live.en.html

Lucky for me I'm 30 mins down the road so I'll be heading up later.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2012 at 6:51pm
Wow that was a great final! One of the better ones i have seen.

If you were there that is awesome b/c there was some good looking girls there.
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2012 at 9:40pm
Ha ha, yeah the "crowd" was pretty nice... Actually it was a massive crowd, tons of brazilians too. It's a special place the Goldy.

Stoked for Taj, Adriano must have been close on that last wave, maybe 1 more good turn and he would have won.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2012 at 8:45am
Yea he would of had that if the wave would of set up a bit more, that was a nice air, I was kinda thinking he got it with it. The scoring was kinda weird this contest. I am not saying anyone got robbed, it was just kinda off.  Adriano had some close heats. 
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2012 at 2:15pm
Big rumours that the cloudbreak comp is the next to be cancelled for this year. Reportedly the worst kept secret in the industry, but looks like Volcom have pulled out. There won't be much of a tour left soon.

The goofy footers will be spewing, after JBay going they got a bit of an advantage, but it'll level back out if fiji goes.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2012 at 3:52pm
I wouldn't blame them. I don't think cloudbreak is great for a place for a comp. The waves are there but the people aren't. If there isn't people there isn't money.
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2012 at 4:19pm
The problem a lot of people have is that it's called the dream tour, and is supposed to be the best surfers in the world on the best waves in the world. Cloudbreak is right up there chopes according to the pro's.

If you look at where events are being cancelled, it is the spots with fewer spectators, Jbay, Cloudbreak, the search (not including last year where the endless search for perfect waves lead them to a little known spot called San Fran...), so you hit the nail on the head.

I don't think they can call it the dream tour etc. when the event with the highest prize money is in Rio (the least high performance wave on the tour) What it does have is the highest no. of spectators, so it's purely about return from investment (it cost about 2 mil to run a WCT event). South America is the booming market so thats where the companies will want to head.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2012 at 6:44pm
San Fran Waves Suck. I am so glad they are going to Santa Cruz this year. That is my surfing stomping grounds and I avoided SF. It seems it is either epic or poor to fail or just straight up poor. The only thing SF is good at is having waves in the summer. Santa Cruz has some of the best waves in the US. 

I can't say I am mad about it or it is a bad choice. It is good to see the sport grow... oh wait it is surfing, I hate to see the sport grow. ha ha
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2012 at 1:25pm
Bells is running in pretty good waves right now. Almost to the quarters. Kelly v Josh Kerr in Q2 is going to be epic.

http://live.ripcurl.com/?bells2012
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2012 at 8:22pm
Wow this is one of the best finals I have seen. Mick started so strong but it is kelly and no lead is save. Still 10 mins left
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2012 at 10:22pm
Seriously... How good was that final! Go Mick. Kelly may have been duped on that 2nd 8.07 though, could have been higher. Plus Mick fell on the 9.70...

Any surf fan needs to see Kelly's reverse from that heat. Better than the NYC one. Massive full rotation
CO_champagne View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 3:45am
Yes, that was a great final.  Kelly looked a bit stressed at the end, going for every little guy he could find.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 9:13am
Yea I don't know what was going on with the judging that heat. Well when mick scored his first wave of a 9.10, the judges had screw themselves. They has too good of surfer for that high of a score it didn't give them room. If i was a judge that would of been an 8 and that would of been my standard for an 8. 
It seems to me the choose the surfer who surfed better and he wins and it isn't as much as really each wave. I have seen it a few times where guys get the score on the last wave to win and it really wasn't there but he did out surf the other person. So i am not saying it is a bad thing. 
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 1:47pm
Yeah, the judges have admitted that it can come down to who has surfed the best in the event, as opposed to 100% accurate scoring of each wave. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing either.

I think Kelly was a bit pissed cause he is usually the one in MIck's position. All in all a great event though. Waves every day. Will Kelly show at the next event, who knows...
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 4:24pm
The judging style can be really annoying bc you see the last wave and think they have it but it turns out they don't get the score. 

About kelly: I think Kelly might of won if he got some good turns on his 10 wave. But Kelly was off, I have never seen him fall so many times. 
 My bet is it will all come down to the waves. If the waves are pumping somewhere else, he might miss it. The Brazil isn't know for good waves but it is a bit of money.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 3:44am
Not sure if this was posted already, but I wanted to share with the class in case it wasn't.  87' wave, unreal.

Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2012 at 9:47pm
Anyone watch Brazil? They actually got quite good waves. John John got his 1st WCT win, and more importantly (due to Kelly not showing) Parko is in no. 1 position. Hopefully he can follow through this time.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2012 at 9:22pm
taking my 9'6'' becker out for a sesh tomorrow during a long awaited mid week day off
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2012 at 9:54pm
Fiji starts tomorrow!!! So glad it's back on tour.

Check out the warm up sesh with Slats etc. Good forecast for the comp window too. Yew

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/volcom-fiji-pro-freesurf-warmup_70972
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2012 at 6:20am
Originally posted by Timmay_650

San Fran Waves Suck. I am so glad they are going to Santa Cruz this year. That is my surfing stomping grounds and I avoided SF. It seems it is either epic or poor to fail or just straight up poor. The only thing SF is good at is having waves in the summer. Santa Cruz has some of the best waves in the US. 

I can't say I am mad about it or it is a bad choice. It is good to see the sport grow... oh wait it is surfing, I hate to see the sport grow. ha ha

Second the Santa Cruz waves...crazy how many people are out on a weekday...surfed up there the weekend of the 16th and Monday and Tuesday were jammed packed with people...saw a grey whale cruise on by no more than 30 yards from me...and I thought the sea otters and seals were cool!
CO_champagne View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2012 at 7:01am
I'm so pissed that someone broke into my garage and stole my surfboard.  I cannot afford to buy a new one at this time so I'm forcing myself to stop watching ASP and going to the beach.  AHHHHH! Enjoy all you lucky SOBs
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2012 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by CO_champagne

I'm so pissed that someone broke into my garage and stole my surfboard.  I cannot afford to buy a new one at this time so I'm forcing myself to stop watching ASP and going to the beach.  AHHHHH! Enjoy all you lucky SOBs

Man that SUCKS... Hopefully they take it for a wave and it takes revenge on your behalf, by stabbing them in the leg...
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2012 at 8:26pm
im feeling an after work sesh an San-O tomorrow
highway12south View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2012 at 3:13pm
  2012 Atlantic Hurricane season has officially started ( although this was May 22  Tstorm Alberto)

Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2012 at 10:44pm
Fingers crossed the fiji comp is back on tomorrow. Swell forecast looking GOOD for next couple of days. 

Keep your eyes out for Mitch Colbourn (wildcard), surfing against Parko in Rd 3. Ripped in Rd 1, and beat Kelly in the process.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2012 at 12:08pm
Its starting at 5:30 eastern today.!!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2012 at 12:36am
Closeout  :(

Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2012 at 6:43am
^I'd be bashing that lip anyhow :)
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2012 at 1:03pm
^Was standing in the tube  doggy dooring it once it broke in front of me
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2012 at 11:28pm
If you have not seen the highlights from Fiji (especially the free surf day when the comp was called off due to it being too big) get onto it.

Absolutely amazing! Kelly's surfing in the quarters, semis and final was some of the best I can ever remember seeing. He's riding a 5'9", bear that in mind when you watch...
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2012 at 1:12am
Liked the 10 he scored  against CJ .Put on a  Clinic in the heats with Julian +Gabriel as well
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2012 at 3:46pm
First day back in the water after about 3-4 weeks after straining my ACL. Good waves at Byron, couple of barrels even, stoked. And my knee held up fine, even better.

Looking the goods for tomorrow too. Yewwww
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2012 at 8:52pm
Swell's finally picking up a bit in southern california!
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2012 at 6:28pm
Big congrats to Steph "Happy" Gilmore on another world title. Stoked for her to wrap up another 1. 

Hoping for two aussie champs this year...
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Quote adeodadus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2012 at 10:52am
Anyone ever spent anytime on either the Dumpster Diver or Neck Beard ? 

I been riding the Resin 8 6-0 alot but want to buy one of these not so Fish kind of short board merricks.  I kind of want the 5 fin set up and am leaning toward the NB.

Anyhow.. its been a crappy southswell year ..  really short durations
Fear is the Mind Killer
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2012 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by adeodadus

Anyone ever spent anytime on either the Dumpster Diver or Neck Beard ? 

I been riding the Resin 8 6-0 alot but want to buy one of these not so Fish kind of short board merricks.  I kind of want the 5 fin set up and am leaning toward the NB.

Anyhow.. its been a crappy southswell year ..  really short durations

Not ridden one, but if I wasn't saving for my end o year trip I would have pulled the trigger on one by now. I prefer the look of the NB. They feel a little odd under the arm, very wide and thick up through where your chest is while paddling. Lots of people on east coast riding them. I'll be getting one next year for sure. The DD is much more similar to a standard shortboard, narrower tail but still with the wider nose.

Go the NB if you want something more "out there", then give me a ride report...
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2012 at 3:51pm
Anyone been watching chopes?

Rounds 1 and 2 done, on lay day today. Waves have been ok, but not great. Fingers crossed for a solid swell soon.

Watch the day 1 highlights, Josh Kerr actually goes right on a wave... Makes it too.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2012 at 6:06am
heading up north to Santa Cruz next weekend for buddy's birthday...hoping there will be some decent swell.
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2012 at 12:14am
Man what a tight finish to Tahiti, Mick for the win! Parko lets another ons slip.

Pity the swell didn't get bigger, but at least it was clean and hollow.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2012 at 1:12am
Yea Mick. Hope they get some decent surf at Lowers
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2012 at 2:54pm
Finally got out in Ventura...been about 2 months I think.  Went to c street last two days... by the time i got out super wind blown and difficult.  Caught a wave that threw me and my long board hit me square in the ribs...still fun though...hopefully tomorrow will be better :)

tomorrow isn't better...ribs jacked...hopefully not on the shelf to long
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 2:45am
Farrrrout... How is Kelly still doing it?

Still, at least Mick and Joel are till on top. Going to be a great last few events. 
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2012 at 12:11am
Some thumping barrels and stacks going down @ the France comp.

Jeremy Flores copped a 2 wave hold down, and that's at a beach break...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718>