Quick Login: Forgot password?

Official Surfing Thread

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 18>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
hoon View Drop Down
Guest Gear Expert

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official Surfing Thread
    Posted: Apr/29/2009 at 4:25am
I got too lazy to find the old thread so started this one. Let's talk surf as summer is coming/here.Cool

Post your quivers. Ask questions. Claim that wave.... No spot naming!

Larry Mabile (3rd World Exotic) Twinzer Fish 6'4"
Channel Islands Flyer 6'6" (tuflite)
Surf Prescriptions HVP 6'8"
Channel Islands M13 7'6" (tuflite)

Surf New England. Stoked to be ditching the 5/4 for the 4/3... then the 3/2 hopefully.

2010? More Like 1910
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2009 at 4:29am
Channel Islands Flyer II 7'2"
Lost Fish 6'6"
Lost Fish 6'2"
Spectrum Longboard 11'
Laird Stand Up Paddle Board 13'
Wizard1990 View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote Wizard1990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2009 at 4:32am
Some really old thing from either the lat 80's or early 90's.

Model: NFI
Length: NFI
I only snowboard because its cool.
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2009 at 4:54am
By the way, if anyone wants to sponsor me for the Surfer’s Environmental Alliance 2009 SEA Paddle for clean oceans and autism awareness, shoot me a pm.
It's a  28 mile paddle around NYC and will be my second year doing it. Product donations are also welcome for our live auction. If you have any questions, just ask.
Here is a link to the website.
http://www.seapaddlenyc.org/
Here is a link to a video of last year's event. I'm in a few of the shots.
http://www.fuel.tv/TheDailyHabit/videos/view/9126
hoon View Drop Down
Guest Gear Expert

Quote hoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2009 at 5:15am
nice man.. a friend of mine does that too i think...

are you in the water a ton? i thought you were VT based? what's your closest? hampton? york? would love to meet up in the h2o sometime.
2010? More Like 1910
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2009 at 5:21am
I mostly surf New Jersey. My parents live in Lavallette (that's where most of my boards are) and my brother lives up in Rumson, so I can surf whenever I visit them. It's kind of a pain to get to any coast from where I live, so I usually go and do a long weekend with them. I grew up in NJ, and missing the shore is the hardest thing for me.
I'd be up for meeting up anywhere for a surf trip some time.
I can't wait until you don't have to wear gloves or booties. 
starang View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote starang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2009 at 6:34pm
i'm hoping to start up this summer.

any suggestions on where to get a first board? i'm thinking a used one should do.

any sierra like sites for surfboards?
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2009 at 7:43pm
Go to shops around you and look and talk to a bunch a few and see what they say. Longboard are the easiest to learn on and prob should to learn how to catch a waves. Then if you want a faster board. I would go with a fish(5'10-6'2) but a longer one but smaller than a funboard(6'7-8'0).
Yes it is smart to buy a used board.
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2009 at 6:18am
Finally got to paddle out for my first 09 session on Saturday. I got to enjoy knee to chest high clean surf with beautiful weather and water warm enough to not wear a wetsuit, in Jersey. Took the Piranha out and had a blast.
Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote Phatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2009 at 6:28am
Originally posted by hoon

nice man.. a friend of mine does that too i think...

are you in the water a ton? i thought you were VT based? what's your closest? hampton? york? would love to meet up in the h2o sometime.

I smell a Newport throw down coming onClap

I'll take some pics of my new Quad Fish when I get home tonightBig smile
A thermos keeps hot stuff hot, and cold stuff cold.....BUT HOW DOES IT KNOW???
NAKi View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote NAKi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2009 at 7:08am
never surfed in my life but i wish i could have the opportunity to try 
NAKi View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote NAKi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2009 at 7:33am
it looks really fun 
airik View Drop Down
Local
Local
here today, gone to tahoe

Quote airik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2009 at 8:18am
just surfed this am one cove over from this link, clean but small  http://www.sigward.com
-9'0" SF surf shop performance longboard, picking it up today!!!
-5'5" pod tri fin (custom judah- local shaper at buddy's surf shop "proof lab" check them out if in the bay)
-6'1" short board (forget brand)
-5'10" strive fish

Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote Phatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2009 at 8:34am
Probably 9 out of ten people I've tried to teach to surf hated it because they weren't willing to put the time into figuring out positioning on the board how to effectively paddle duck-dive etc etc, so they ended up getting worked the whole time. So in all honesty, if you only have a couple days, IMO you shouldn't bother. You wanna ride waves grab a sponge, it's a lot easier to learn in a couple days. You can still have a lot of fun in the shorepound with a sponge, and you don't have to drink half the ocean.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2009 at 9:02am
Shipman - 6'6" High Performance Shortboard  (fiberglass)
Rusty - 6'4" Pirahna Modern Fish  (Tuflite)
Robert August - 9"0" What I Ride Longboard (Tuflite)
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2009 at 12:53pm
I rent a 12' longboard for when I go out.  just started this season, having a lot of fun doing it
-zakk

hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2009 at 1:13pm
I have a 8' longboard...still trying to get up, but hope to be able to soon Big smile
lineears View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
booyA!!!

Quote lineears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2009 at 1:32pm
Noobie surfer here. Very noob, only been twice in 4 years AHAHHA :D
But have a crap load of fun gettin worked by mother nature's waves...but not so fun drinking half the ocean once every 5 minutes.

I can already stand up sometimes (when i'm almost at stop haha)  but a lot of times i either miss it or get swallowed up by the wave.

It seems to be shorter the board = easier to learn correct?

Where should i be positioning myself when i surf? (more at the top or more at the bottem) when the wave is coming and i'm paddling away for my life...

Is there a "easy" way to just stand with balance? I find it very hard to stand up while trying to balance myself...

Too bad the closes beach that is surfable is either a 4 hour drive + 1 hour ferry down to tofino, or a 5-6 hour drive down to oregon.....hence i've only been couple times...

Go Canucks!
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2009 at 2:38pm
no, a shorter board is more difficult.

a longer/wider board is more stable.  This will allow you to paddle and maybe even stand up with less chance of tipping over.

position yourself on your stomach wherever you feel most balanced.  The nose shouldn't be sticking up too far in the air, nor should the tail.

there is no "easy" button for standing up on a surfboard.  You need to have tight stomach muscles before even getting in the water, so you can just pop up in one quick motion.  Before your trip, do a couple of weeks of training that includes sit-ups and push-ups

Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote Phatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2009 at 3:12pm
This will probably get deleted, but....

NOOB RULE #1 DO NOT TRY AND SURF NEAR OTHER PEOPLE UNTIL YOU CAN CONTROL YOUR BOARD. Until you can control your board you have a 6-12ft fiberglass rocket that can do some pretty serious damage. If you ever meet me I can show you a few different scars 2 pretty notable ones on my forehead, from surfboards. You will also more times than not be in the way. This pisses people off, it's not like snowboarding where people will just laugh a little and go around you. If you can't get out of people in the lineups way, you take a very real chance of getting your a$$ kicked. Localism isn't cool, but it is real. 

Ears,
positioning is different on every board, and also depends on your size. In general you want to try and position yourself in the middle maybe a little more towards the nose, if the nose of your board is way up in the air, you're too far back.

There is no "easy way" to standup. The best way to do it is to put your hands flat on  the deck and "pop" up once you start pushing down no part of your body should touch the board until your feet hit, your knees should be bent and your feet should be pretty far apart when you first stand, keep your center of gravity low and use your hips and shoulders to turn.  

A shorter board is absolutely not easier to learn on, longboards are easier to paddle into waves and much more stable.

Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote Phatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2009 at 3:22pm

6'6" Quad Fish
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2009 at 3:24pm
I would recommend lessons if you want to try surfing.  Most of the surf schools down here have the wetsuit and board, etc included in the lesson price so if you find that surfing isn't for you, you didn't spend too much buying a board.  Also with the lesson, they take you to places that are less crowded, suited to your ability level, and the vibe of the place is more mellow.  Plus I think other surfers avoid these areas because there are noobs in the water.  

I wouldn't just go to any place and try to surf without some sort of instruction.  That would be dangerous for you and to others in the water.  Just my two cents. 
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2009 at 7:04pm
^^no tail pad...I don't know how you guys do it.  The ball of my foot would be in such pain by the end of the first session.
Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote Phatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2009 at 4:29am
I got a trac pad on the way, but I wanted to ride itWinkLOL
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2009 at 6:25am
No one should ever start surfing. It sucks. Same with riding powder. Just avoid it altogether and you will be much happier.
Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote Phatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2009 at 6:27am
Originally posted by VermontRider

No one should ever start surfing. It sucks. Same with riding powder. Just avoid it altogether and you will be much happier.

Careful, my post that said that got deletedErmm
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2009 at 6:29am
We'll see if they like me more. Is there a sarcasm font?
Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote Phatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2009 at 6:31am
I'm pretty much a male genitalia, so prolly so. 
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2009 at 6:38am
I'm on Surfermag.com! I'm in a picture on one of the featured stories. I'm in the middle of the pic with green boardshorts and a white shirt on. It's my best side... my back!
http://surfermag.com/features/onlineexclusives/stand_up_paddle_for_autism_in_nyc/
I'm doing this again this year. PM me if you are interested in sponsoring me. Any amount is welcome!

Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2009 at 5:25am
Got out this weekend, again in NJ. Really fun Saturday morning. Some nice clean waves with some good power to them, head high on set. Surfed in a spring suit. For a while near low it was really sucking the bottom out on some of the bigger waves. I cracked a rail on my leg on my last ride of the day, but it was easily repaired with some sun cure.  It got a lot colder on Sunday and I had to put on a full suit. The waves were much smaller, chest high on set, but at least I got out there. Surfed the Lost Fish both days. Great weather both days. Tons of fun.
Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote Phatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2009 at 5:41am
Maybe I should start making more trips down to Jersey, but that's significantly farther than where I normally goOuch

I got a bunch of yardwork done though.
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2009 at 6:02am
Originally posted by Phatman

Maybe I should start making more trips down to Jersey, but that's significantly farther than where I normally goOuch

I got a bunch of yardwork done though.

Watch your attitude, mister! LOL
Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote Phatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2009 at 6:04am
Sorry,

Puppy dogs, Kittens, and RainbowsBig smile
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2009 at 8:45am
I just got a longboard (9'0" Robert August WIR)

...hopefully, trying it for the first time next week

(added it to my quiver in my other post)

Ty Phi View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
You devil, you

Quote Ty Phi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2009 at 12:59pm

Finally got to paddle out for my first 09 session on Saturday. I got to enjoy knee to chest high clean surf with beautiful weather and water warm enough to not wear a wetsuit, in Jersey. Took the Piranha out and had a blast.

Perfect day man. I'm going out on the North Shore on Oahu today to see if I can grab my first wave.
I shop at Sierra Snowboard Ski & Patio.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2009 at 1:33pm

Lost Fish 6'6"
Lost Fish 6'2"
Spectrum Longboard 11'

...Finally got to paddle out for my first 09 session on Saturday. I got to enjoy knee to chest high clean surf with beautiful weather and water warm enough to not wear a wetsuit, in Jersey. Took the Piranha out and had a blast.

Piranha?...that wasn't in your list
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2009 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by shop_39014

I just got a longboard (9'0" Robert August WIR)

...hopefully, trying it for the first time next week

(added it to my quiver in my other post)

I had a nice longboard 9'0" and that was such a fun board. I wish I still had it but I have a 8'0" now which I don't like as much but the 9'0". But I sold it for what I paid $300 and used it for a few months. 
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2009 at 4:26am

Lost Fish 6'6"
Lost Fish 6'2"
Spectrum Longboard 11'

...Finally got to paddle out for my first 09 session on Saturday. I got to enjoy knee to chest high clean surf with beautiful weather and water warm enough to not wear a wetsuit, in Jersey. Took the Piranha out and had a blast.

Piranha?...that wasn't in your list

It's the 6'2" Fish.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2009 at 7:27am
ahh...yes, that Lost's actual model name is "Round Nose Fish", but the logo does have a gnarly looking fish on it (not sure if it's a pirahna). 

...my Rusty is actually called the "Pirahna" model.

Waves are looking as bad as they get here (knee high and super weak) - I don't think even my fish will go in them.  I'm looking forward to just doing some cruising on my new 9'0"

BboyTommy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BboyTommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2009 at 8:29am
im in a city right next to the beach but i cant surf cuz its a pepple beach. and the water is ridiculously cold.
dance like no one's watching
BboyTommy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BboyTommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2009 at 8:30am
im in brighton, uk.
dance like no one's watching
Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote Phatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2009 at 8:39am
What the heck is a "Pepple Beach?"

Ridiculously cold water is what wetsoots are for.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2009 at 10:53am
Originally posted by BboyTommy

im in a city right next to the beach but i cant surf cuz its a pepple beach. and the water is ridiculously cold.

pebble beaches can be very good, especially at point breaks...however, Brighton's "wave window" is extremely small

your good waves are going to very rare - on a huge, perfectly angled south groundswell

...however, local windswells are going to be your staple.  Just find a sheltered spot that will block the wind.  Brighton marina is said to be one of your better spots

there's also a few other spots within a short driving distance - they're going to be a little sloppy, but it's better than nothing.  Oh and, believe it or not, you'll get used to the cold and brown water...I've been surfing in the same for years

I actually think you're missing out on something really fun that's right in your backyard - If I were you, I'd buy a wetsuit and a longboard and get on it

Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2009 at 11:17am

Originally posted by BboyTommy

pebble beaches can be very good, especially at point breaks...however, Brighton's "wave window" is extremely small

your best waves are going to probably be on that rare, huge, perfectly angled south groundswell

...however, local windswells are going to be your staple.  Just find a sheltered spot that will block the wind.  Brighton marina is said to be one of your better spots

there's also a few other spots within a short driving distance - they're going to be a little sloppy, but it's better than nothing. 

I actually think you're missing out on something really fun that's right in your backyard - If I were you, I'd buy a wetsuit and a longboard and get on it

A longboard is key to have in your quiver, especially if you live in a place with "no waves." It was one of the best investments I ever made.  You can just sit on the outside and catch rides on waves that would be unridable in most cases. People shred Lake Michigan with longboards.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2009 at 11:26am
yep, a longboard and a modern wetsuit is all Bboy needs.

I realize the water is relatively cold and murky brown, but you do get used to it pretty quick (I've been riding in the same for years).  Those conditions can be intimidating at first, but just wait for some other people to paddle out first and then join them.

Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2009 at 6:10am
according to oceanweather, Brighton had a fun little 2 foot windswell peaking yesterday and decreasing today...and it's summer warm...you're missing out!

Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote Phatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2009 at 5:38am
VR, I hope you and any of the other surfing New Englanders on here are getting out today, or at least sometime this weekend. Wave Cam looked pretty EPIC (for a summer swell) this morning. Meanwhile I can barely stand on solid ground right now due to an ear infuction. If I get some semblance of balance back by Sunday, I'll probably make it out somewhere in RI. PM me if your interested in meeting up.
openwheelracing View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote openwheelracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2009 at 5:45am
Huntington Beach here I come.......
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2009 at 6:45am
My brother e-mailed me the surf forecast. I can't go down this weekend. Angry
Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote Phatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2009 at 7:41am
Don't you waste my ear infuktion swellAngryAngry

I don't often make sacrifices like this for others
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>