Official Surfing Thread

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <12345 18>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official Surfing Thread
    Posted: Aug/14/2009 at 9:30am
Almost the weekend...gonna surf Saturday and Sunday Big smile
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2009 at 11:29am
I wish

have time set aside for next month, but I'm craving surf so bad...fortunately it's been only knee high/maybe waist, here, the past month
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2009 at 9:23pm
I fell in front of my board and I got hit on my left temple by my board.  It hurts to chew now Ouch

I hurt myself on the day when the waves are tiny.
Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote Phatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2009 at 6:18am
HURRICANE BILL!!!!!!!!!!

Good possibility of swell for this weekendBig smile
A thermos keeps hot stuff hot, and cold stuff cold.....BUT HOW DOES IT KNOW???
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2009 at 6:51am
THis weekend is looking good, kids! I'll be at the shore this weekend!
http://www.heritagesurf.com/wavecast.php
Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote Phatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2009 at 2:08am
Summary:

Tiny SW chop on Tuesday afternoon into Wednesday. On Wednesday tiny inconsistent (ankle to waist) swells from tropical cyclone Ana and the general tropics filters into New England. On Thursday the pulse becomes slightly more noticable and enters the small range (knee-chest). On Friday a continuation of small and inconsistent SE swells is replaced with forerunners (inconsistent and only sets) from tropical cyclone Bill that easily pushes into the head high range only by dark. On Saturday SE swells become more consistent with increasing size and by Sunday we should have medium (chest to well overhead sets) for best spots with an angle becoming almost SSE.

This guy is usually who I go to, to have my hopes of big surf dashed on the rocks, so to speak. He's super conservative so I definitely tend to trust his judgement.ClapClapClap
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2009 at 12:07pm
if your fish is as good as it looks and you have the paddle power, you could surf all that...but don't burn yourself out before the good stuff finally gets up there Wink
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2009 at 7:06pm
Booo onshore wind...finally we get some energy and the wind had to mess it up.  It was unbelievably windy and choppy today.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2009 at 9:18am
I don't feel so bad for missing out now...yeah, I do
Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote Phatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2009 at 5:58am
My arms ache, I have a rash on my stomach, as well as the insides of my thighs and scabs on my nipples.

I feel GREAT!!!!!!!
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2009 at 7:42am
told ya so
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2009 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Piranha

told ya so

wait a minute...Shop_39????  you changed your name?
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2009 at 12:00pm
yea I saw that too.

You guys going to hit up the swell that is hitting CA or is just up here in Nor Cal
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2009 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Timmay_650

]yea I saw that too.

You guys going to hit up the swell that is hitting CA or is just up here in Nor Cal

well the problem is...the swell is there, it's just choppy.  Saturday was horrible, but yesterday and today was workable. 
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2009 at 12:37pm
yeah, finally a name change

I hated that shop_ name, but was just too lazy to bother asking if I could change  - thanks to jenn who reminded me I could 
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2009 at 5:18am
Woooooooooooooooooo! What a weekend! Thanks, Bill! The surf was huge on Saturday, but kind of dumping by me. It cleaned up pretty nice and stayed pretty big for Sunday. That left me a little tired for Monday, when I paddled 28 miles around Manhattan for an autism fundraiser, the SEA Paddle NYC. (You can still donate if you want to!) Tuesday was nice with some smaller two foot surf that was nice and clean. I paddled out for about an hour in the morning, but my legs were pretty spent.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2009 at 8:17am
legs?...I never use my legs when I paddle
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2009 at 8:25am

legs?...I never use my legs when I paddle

It is a little hard to not use your legs on a SUP.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2009 at 3:47pm
I sometimes use my legs, At first I thought it was really weird and wouldn't help but then i did it and like it. Now I start to kick when i feel that i am missing the wave it just makes me feel better.
So i went surfing today and it was an ok but too high of tide but when it was lower tide everyone was out.
I went to a spot where it get choppy at high tide and was the only one out. I was total to far in the first wave, i thought it was going to hold longer b/c there was backwash. Then I got a good for the wave it was just a short corner. It starts to die and hits rocks. My next one I launch deep in the wave. I realized if i didn't make it I there was a really good chance that my board would hit the rocks, if not me too. And it was a choppy wave that made it kinda scary.
After I made that wave I decide to go surf somewhere else. Wasn't worth the risk. I knew i prob would make it 8-10 times but that still leave me with a damaged board at the end of the day.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2009 at 12:55pm
that sucks you got out there too late. 

there was a time when I'd go out in any conditions.  Even now I paddle out in questionable conditions, but if it's too choppy or small (or way too big or closing out), I usually skip those days and save my energy for something better.  Fortunately, here on the west coast, "something better" is usually only a day or two away
airik View Drop Down
Local
Local
here today, gone to tahoe

Quote airik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2009 at 2:25pm
Dropped travis off at the airport and celebrated new site launch with a quick session...fall has arrived in the bay... Sloat st. Ocean Beach, San Francisco
Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote Phatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2009 at 2:56pm
More surf this weekend!!! Rhodey here I come!!

Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2009 at 4:11pm
looks fun airik - not huge or bowling, but nice and clean
Ty Phi View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
You devil, you

Quote Ty Phi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2009 at 5:31am
Is anyone riding the waves that Hurricane Bill is bringing? I'd love to see some pics
I shop at Sierra Snowboard Ski & Patio.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2009 at 7:08am
That is a nice picture of Ocean. The problem I have seen with Ocean beach is when there is ok waves everyone comes out of the woodwork. 
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2009 at 9:04am
where I go, it's just the opposite

when it's knee to waist and weak, it's more crowded.  When it starts getting waist to head, the crowd thins out some
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2009 at 11:17am
That would be nice. The same is true in Santa Cruz good waves, it is packed 90% of the times. I surf a lot of high tide b/c the crowd thins about a bunch. When I went a few days ago, I counted 15-20 surfer on my point break when it was good. I goofed around in crappy spot for about an hour and it was getting pretty High tide when I made it out there was like 5 guys. For awhile there was 2 of us. So in 1 to 2 hour it went from 15 surfer to 2. But the waves weren't as good. But I didn't feel like fighting for waves and a there were a lot of good surfer out the I saw some nice air and 360.
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2009 at 1:23pm
Today was super crowded...warm water temp + heat wave = everyone and their mother at the beach.  I had to be careful not to hit a bunch of kids with my surfboard.
Way2spoiled View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Way2spoiled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2009 at 5:35pm
Haha I surf..... In Utah! wakesurf baby hell yeah! Its way fun -I would move to cali for real surfing, but i gotta stay close to park city for snowboarding...
Ancillary Stroke [ān'sə-lěr'ē strohk] n: The condition bestowed upon an onlooker or crowd as I pull off a totally insane maneuver.
hoon View Drop Down
Guest Gear Expert

Quote hoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2009 at 4:52pm
FALL IS HERE BITCHES!
2010? More Like 1910
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2009 at 11:34am
wakesurfing can really get tricks like 360s and airs dialed in...but it's not going to do anything for your paddling, knowledge of different types of breaks/spots and all the other stuff involved with ocean surfing

fall is definitely here!!! and it's when my spot is best - the fog lifts, wind drops, water is warmest (62ish), north swells start to crank, and tourist/school kid crowds are gone Tongue
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2009 at 1:43pm
I loved surfing in the Fall but I am sad I don't get to do it being in College in Idaho. I love the good fall swells they make some great waves to play on.
I hate this I can't surf and I can't snowboard yet. I am not happy about that.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2009 at 4:23pm
I hate late spring and summer - no snow and summer surfing here basically sucks.

However, fall and winter are fantastic seasons here and totally make up for the other two with tons of good waves in fall and dumping powder in winter. 

Speaking of which, I 'll be surfing for a week starting next wednesday, and on my new 6'2" EPS Piranha (sold the tuflite while I still could...got 5 years out of it)

hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2009 at 8:20pm
I love San O...it's such a nice wave there Big smile
aaaron View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote aaaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2009 at 7:55am
Cape Hatteras, NC?
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2009 at 4:37am
Just got back from a solid week of surfing in the Caribbean.  The schedule everyday: Up at 4:30 surfed for 4-5 hours, go to lunch, surfed for another 4, ate dinner, and asleep by 7:30. Great, clean, uncrowded, chest to head high surf.

Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2009 at 4:50am
^oh man, I'm so jealous...sounds so fun.  I've been to Abaco/Eleuthera in the Bahamas a long time ago but I didn't get to surf.
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2009 at 5:05am

^oh man, I'm so jealous...sounds so fun.  I've been to Abaco/Eleuthera in the Bahamas a long time ago but I didn't get to surf.

It was a blast.
When I went to the Abacos a few years ago we didn't get much surf. However, I did drink a lot of Nippers and rolled our golf cart. Confused That was a crazy trip. I forgot my passport, and that was a whole other adventure.
airik View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote airik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2009 at 9:05am
Santa cruz was firing this weekend.  Not the best pic, but that wave started way out where the sun is shining bright on the water...well overhead, probably double even.  We started at ob in sf, drove to lindamar, continued down the 1 and ended up finally paddling out at capitola...which surprisingly was REALLY good given it's normally a begginner spot.  but since the swell was so big, it was breaking shoulder/head high and clean.  how'd this swell treat others?
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2009 at 10:50am
Originally posted by airik

Santa cruz was firing this weekend.  Not the best pic, but that wave started way out where the sun is shining bright on the water...well overhead, probably double even.  We started at ob in sf, drove to lindamar, continued down the 1 and ended up finally paddling out at capitola...which surprisingly was REALLY good given it's normally a begginner spot.  but since the swell was so big, it was breaking shoulder/head high and clean.  how'd this swell treat others?

Unless someone is on the wave, it is pretty hard to judge the size a wave from a picture, IMO.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2009 at 12:57pm
That is a good size wave, that is pleasure point, that is probably one of my favorite spots but I like the point most of the time.
My question is where are all the people, I have never seen that spot empty and have waves.
joness View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote joness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2009 at 9:15pm
Any of you been up to Westport Washington? I surf there when I visit my parents during the summer.
On Monday the Breaking Wave Estimate was 25ft. with triple overhead sets.
Big Air. Kids today, that's all they want, big air. I say stick to the mountain. That's where the fun is. You want big air kid? Pull my finger.
hoon View Drop Down
Guest Gear Expert

Quote hoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2009 at 2:04am
OH+ sets on tap from this last hurricane if the winds don't mess it up (which they will) this weekend.
2010? More Like 1910
deepakhj View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote deepakhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2009 at 7:55pm
7'6" Vernor Funboard
6'10" Bruce Jones Shortboard (just picked it up but haven't ridden it yet... missed this past swell  and elected to skip it when it was double-triple overhead :P)

I primarily go out at Linda Mar and the Jetty for now since I've only been surfing for a year. Hope to graduate to Ocean Beach soon since it's closer to me. (Presidio). I have heard a lot of horror stories of localism at Fort Point but sometimes it's firing and looks beautiful when the rest of SF is blown out. My normal run is by there so it's fun to see when the conditions are perfect there and watch the perfect lefts.

2012 154 Never Summer Proto CT w/ K2 Formulas
2010 160 Contract C62
2005 Ride DH
2009 Never Summer SL (broken)
2010 K2 DB T1
2009 K2 DB T1
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2009 at 9:14pm
I have always wanted to surf Fort Point but never have drove all that way there but it is probably only like 1 1/2 to get there.
If you get your face out there, you won't get localism as bad (at least that is how it was for me in santa cruz) and follow the rules.
hoon View Drop Down
Guest Gear Expert

Quote hoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2009 at 9:30am
so good this AM..... yesterday was a mess but today was fun fun fun.
2010? More Like 1910
airik View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote airik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2009 at 8:00pm
i'm diggen our media section...just found these sweet hawaii thanksgiving swell shots off the espn feed   http://espn.go.com/action/surfing/blog/_/post/4693676?campaign=rss&source=ACTIONHeadlines
kai24 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote kai24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2009 at 8:12pm
some fun waves from santa cruz over couple of days ago, somehow a friend managed to get a shot of me with a cheap disposable camera.
kai
LitePowder View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote LitePowder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2009 at 7:05am
Originally posted by VermontRider

Just got back from a solid week of surfing in the Caribbean.

Hi,

Which Island did you go exactly in the Caribbean?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2009 at 9:22am
Originally posted by kai24

some fun waves from santa cruz over couple of days ago, somehow a friend managed to get a shot of me with a cheap disposable camera.

I went home of thanksgiving and I found some good waves in Santa Cruz but they only problem was I was on my long board. I brough my roommate out to CA too and taught him how to surf but I was wanting just to get out on my short board and rip it up but i didn't. Hopefully there will be good waves over Christmas too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>