Official Surfing Thread

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 23456 18>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
deepakhj View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote deepakhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official Surfing Thread
    Posted: Dec/02/2009 at 12:44pm
I had a 1st degree AC seperation 10 days ago so I'm out of the water for a bit. I just got out of the sling yesterday though... so glad it wasn't 3rd degree+.
2012 154 Never Summer Proto CT w/ K2 Formulas
2010 160 Contract C62
2005 Ride DH
2009 Never Summer SL (broken)
2010 K2 DB T1
2009 K2 DB T1
airik View Drop Down
Local
Local
here today, gone to tahoe

Quote airik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2009 at 2:23pm
i'm digging our espn news feeds in media section... honolua bay billabong pro
lukekim91 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote lukekim91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2009 at 8:35pm
hey guys i been gone for a while busy with life. spent a month in bali doing a lot of surfing.
some pics! Big smile

was riding a rusty tl2 josh kerr 5'9". messed up the nose. shallow coral reefs at uluwatu and other spots

Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2009 at 9:04pm
Nice pictures, those are sweet! You are so lucky a month in Bali.
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Quote adeodadus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2009 at 12:47am
..I'd rather surf 2-3 ft with no crowds (5 people line up) than big wave days ~ 4-6/8 ft...  I want to make another southamerica tripEmbarrassed  even dawn patrols get crowded...

westside is getting 4-8ft range too (thats 8-16 ft faces)
Fear is the Mind Killer
FreeCarve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Maalaea Freight Trains

Quote FreeCarve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2009 at 9:01am
I agree. Even KM base gets crowded. I'd rather have blown-out conditions with a couple friends than deal with crowds ... but I find that around noon-2:00 misses both the morning and afternoon madness.

Panama boat trips are still OK ... all our old CR spots are overrun with Floridians.
eldolocal68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2009 at 3:27am
the world is geting too crowded...
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2010 at 8:03pm

I was watching mavericks today and I think the people surfing would agree.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2010 at 6:57am
...and with those ever growing crowds comes exponentially more beginners.  Most of these people have only a year or two combined experience (if that)...I've got about twenty, yet, even thought my local spot is within walking distance, I frequently have to drive to less crowded, less quality spots just so I don't get dropped in on practically every wave.

I've heard every excuse in the book.  The last one was: "I'm half blind in my left eye".  I was all: "Then what the eff are you doing surfing the lefts?  Go to the rights."  He was a rythmless wannabe that obviously couldn't even surf on his backhand (but all new equipment)...yet he's going to surf the best spot in townAngry.

I sold my tuflite....but I might have to get another just so I can plow through the desperados without worrying about dings.
phredx View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote phredx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2010 at 10:58am
http://www.surftech.com/boardDetails.php?bid=SURFBDS+:+L1197-0706-YT&type=SURFBDS&skill=intermediate

what do you all think of this board for a guy who's surfed a 8.5 ft foam board the past couple summer seasons.
It's 7'6" funboard. the nice thing is it's made of Surftech Tuflite and my friend is selling it for $400. is that a good deal?

i'm 6 ft, 180 lbs, newbie

Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2010 at 1:33pm
How often do you go? It is a pretty fun board to progress on. My friend had one about the same shape and size. It was a lot of fun to get better on but after that it was too long to so short board moves on and to short to do long board moves on.
If you go only a few times a year, that is probably a really good choice but if you plan on going a lot and really getting into surfing I would buy something a little smaller and have a few crappy days learning to surf it.
If the board is in good condition the price is ok, I prob would see if he would take $350. I don't think I would pay $400 for a used board.
phredx View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote phredx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2010 at 3:45pm
Gotcha, thanks Timmay. you're right though, it kinda depends on how much i go

I'm guessing i'll end up going minimum 10 times this yr... hopefully i'll start going once a week so up to 30-40 times a yr.

Maybe I can get the Yater for $350 which i'm thinking will be good deal because it supposedly retails new for about $800 (it's surftech tuflite) but yes it is used...

I'm also looking at a 8'4" Stephen Slater(Kellys Brother)Tak longboard that's Tuflite and $300 (retails $800)
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2010 at 3:51pm
I am guessing you are close to a beach. Where I got my one of my boards was the M10 factory. A lot of boards are made in the US and you can go to some of the factory and they will have blemish boards. I got a good deal on a pretty much new board.
gweed View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote gweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2010 at 3:53am
im a newb looking for my 1st board. i was thinking of getting a fun board myself. any suggestions?
you got that dicdoo.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2010 at 10:09am
The best way to get a good board is go to shops and talk to a lot of people and we what they say is ideal. I would suggest looking at used boards b/c a lot of people buy them and decide they don't want them anymore.

befferdy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote befferdy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2010 at 7:09am
man waves are short here in maryland where i go a few times a year...
foolio View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote foolio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2010 at 7:23am
anyone headed to Cowells in Santa Cruz from 4/1 to 4/3?  Negative tides all three days - should be great.  
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2010 at 7:35am
be really careful with those tuflite longboards.  They are even "tuffer" than the short boards and will crack you good if you're not doing everything just right

If using a leash, make sure you use an actual, long, longboard leash (preferably calf strap).  A shortboard leash on a Tuflite LB will not give you the reaction time to get out of the way of this rock-hard projectile.

They really aren't for beginners (unless it's a softop), but, if you get one, I'd say take it out on the smallest days possible for the first few times, so you can get a head start on dialing it in
shop_BAGILLION View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote shop_BAGILLION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2010 at 7:50am
Al Merrick: Fort Knox 5'11" x 18 1/4" x 2 1/8" Round tail
Tokoro: K3 5'11" x 18 1/2" x 2 1/16" Squash
            4   7'4" x 18 5/8" x 2 5/8" Pin

...all i need Big smile

otherwise i have a nice 5'10" Sharpeye swallow that someone gave me.. pretty sick, but i don't really like epoxy. not the same.

Surf location: Hawaii. my home Smile

can't wait to go back for the summer since there's no snowboarding up here at college on the East Coast Cry
KraziMe View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote KraziMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2010 at 11:59am
i wish they have waves like that in NYC beach
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Quote adeodadus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2010 at 4:45pm
The El Nino has a strange effect on the surf season so far :: This past weekend all shores had sizeable waves at the same time Shocked   Overhead everywhere : North/ West / South/ East.. really strange..  
Fear is the Mind Killer
Tree Runs View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
One Man Wolf-Pack

Quote Tree Runs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2010 at 1:33pm
I just want the water on the East Coast to get warmer
(Something Clever)
libengazi View Drop Down
Local
Local
BS 180

Quote libengazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 12:06am

some sofa surfing Smile
respect mountains
k-brew View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote k-brew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2010 at 10:23am
best place to learn to surf?
aje917 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
mmMMMmm death dogs

Quote aje917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2010 at 10:26am
best place to learn to surf is anywhere that's not crowded... but thats impossible so i would say the easiest waves, probably near uc sd those to me are the chillist waves ive seen in a while.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2010 at 11:16am
Originally posted by k-brew

best place to learn to surf?

Most area have a learners beach, Just talk to people in the shop. The problem is a lot of those great learning spots are very hit and miss.
determined View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote determined Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2010 at 1:29pm
have thought about surfing looked online and lessons are about 3 hours or so. looks easy. I wonder if it's a good workout though.

the closest thing i tried was skim boarding and i think i was doing it wrong.
dilldawg View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dilldawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2010 at 4:08pm
any EC riders here? and has anyone heard of challenger surfboards? im looking at a longer board for when its small
Raabit View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Raabit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2010 at 4:15pm
I ride an 7'10 parsons
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2010 at 4:20pm
ha, my first board was a challenger.  Vintage single fin 7'0" pintail with open dings in the nose and tail.  Paid way more than I shoulda for that thing at a pawn shop...but I just had to have it. 

Use to pull it behind the boat on flat days, before wakeboards were so popular, and catch some pretty huge wake airs...no bindings, just a good headwind to really float one
mammoth34 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote mammoth34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2010 at 4:27pm
I am looking to pick up surfing over the summer. I live in Socal and was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations for beginner surf camps/ instructors. Also what are some good soft top board brands? thanlks
Vinno View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Vinno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2010 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by mammoth34

I am looking to pick up surfing over the summer. I live in Socal and was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations for beginner surf camps/ instructors. Also what are some good soft top board brands? thanlks

mate i'd skip the soft tops if i were you, find a good used fun board or mini mal and hire a soft top for your first lesson or two. Once you get a feel for the mechanics of surfing you'll find a soft top way to slow and cumbersome. 
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2010 at 4:44pm
first of all, you don't just "pick up surfing".  It takes several years of consistent riding to start getting good, but, once the bug hits you, it's always fun whatever your level

One of the main problems with generic soft boards is they're not stiff enough to keep any speed, plus the bottom are some slow crap material. 

Only ones worth a damn are "Softop" by surftech.  These are practically as stiff as fiberglass or epoxy and have a good slick bottom...unfortunately, they're pretty expensive, too
justinpatchett View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote justinpatchett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2010 at 6:56pm
you should get a used longboard anywhere fro 8 ft to 9 thats definitely the best kind off board to get and then once you get good get more longboards short boards suck. My first board was a locally shaped 6 footer and I live in Florida worst decision of my surfing life. I started using my buddies 9 ft. longboard sooo much better so i sold my board and got a locally shaped by one world surfboards 9'2 best board ever.
justinpatchett View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote justinpatchett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2010 at 7:39pm

ialex2005i View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ialex2005i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2010 at 8:32pm
Honestly, if I saw those dolphins coming, I would be a little worried.
Vinno View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Vinno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2010 at 8:45pm
lol worried? i'd be sh*tin bricks! 

how would you get under that with out copping a dolphin in the back?
joness View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote joness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2010 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Vinno

Dolphins are pretty smart, and they know what they are doing. They won't hit you (unless one isn't paying attention, but that would be rare). When I lived in Hawaii, my favorite beach always had at least one group of dolphins playing around nearby. I'd sometimes go out just to swim with them. Pretty strong rip at that beach though. I've been nervous a couple of times...
The only time I really was freaked when when I was down surfing in Costa Rica. All of a sudden the ocean just came alive under me while I was sitting on my board. Fish just started flying out of the water and spazzing out around me, it was the strangest thing.
Big Air. Kids today, that's all they want, big air. I say stick to the mountain. That's where the fun is. You want big air kid? Pull my finger.
ialex2005i View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ialex2005i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2010 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by joness

Dolphins are pretty smart, and they know what they are doing. They won't hit you (unless one isn't paying attention, but that would be rare). When I lived in Hawaii, my favorite beach always had at least one group of dolphins playing around nearby. I'd sometimes go out just to swim with them. Pretty strong rip at that beach though. I've been nervous a couple of times...
The only time I really was freaked when when I was down surfing in Costa Rica. All of a sudden the ocean just came alive under me while I was sitting on my board. Fish just started flying out of the water and spazzing out around me, it was the strangest thing.

I live in Hawaii now.. On Oahu, please tell me where I can see these dolphins? I'd love to hitch a ride!
dilldawg View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dilldawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2010 at 4:46am
Originally posted by Piranha

ha, my first board was a challenger.  Vintage single fin 7'0" pintail with open dings in the nose and tail.  Paid way more than I shoulda for that thing at a pawn shop...but I just had to have it. 

Use to pull it behind the boat on flat days, before wakeboards were so popular, and catch some pretty huge wake airs...no bindings, just a good headwind to really float one

are they any good,  its like a seven foot one and it comes with everything for 300 used, i just want something longer for when the surf is smaller
determined View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote determined Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2010 at 7:30am
How long did it take to learn how to surf? You guys learn on your own or took lessons?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2010 at 7:33am
I took one lesson in Hawaii and pretty much taught myself but I had been playing in the ocean a long time. The hard part about surfing is learning to read waves well. It is nice to have someone who knows how to do that to help you. 
Vinno View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Vinno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2010 at 8:07am

haha yeah i know, but there are so many of them in that photo. I live on the Gold Coast and we get them all the time. Like you say your just sitting there and one will swim under you from behind and of course first instict is always SHARK! Pretty unbelievable experience though, i've actually had them surfing waves i'm riding Big smile

@determined,
i think i kinda mentioned it earlier, 1 or two surf lessons on a soft top are great to start because someone can show you how the mechanics of surfing work i.e. paddling standing up, where to position yourself, as well as lend you the gear to get started. After that it's just a matter of finding a good solid board and catching as many waves as you can. Down here most people learn to surf first then pick up snowboarding really easily so i'm sure it works the other way round too!Wink
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2010 at 8:23am

biggest dolphins I've ever seen (and I've surfed with/seen a lot of different kinds) where in morro bay in central CA.  Some species there are giant, approx 3X the size of the average adult dolphin.  Out of nowhere, they started randomly jumping out of the water and landing extremely close to me, several times almost landed on me...would have f*d me up for sure.

Originally posted by dilldawg

are they any good,  its like a seven foot one and it comes with everything for 300 used, i just want something longer for when the surf is smaller
that's a really old brand, so you never know how many times the name has changed hands or who's making them now (china?)...it's probably fine

Originally posted by determined

How long did it take to learn how to surf? You guys learn on your own or took lessons?
took me about 10 years, riding about 30 days a year here in CA to get "good"...by that I mean quickly reading a wave by instinct, strong paddling, "pumping" flow for speed in small waves, hunting blastable sections, immaculate deep bottom turns to off the lip, round house cutbacks, instinctive barrel riding, equal in all respects at front and backside waves (except my backside barrel riding needs work because bails are relatively wierd).  I also kinda suck at handling the stress of surfing in a tight crowd...whole 'nother aspect not present in snowboarding

self taught, but I'm guessing "you either have it, or you don't" comes into play here...same with good snowboarding
dilldawg View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dilldawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2010 at 8:59am
we were out one time when the surf was small, longboarding, and a huge group of rays apeared. we ended up paddling out overthem, one of the coolest things ever! Star
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2010 at 9:17am
yeah, rays are super cool.  In the gulf of mexico, found myself surfing in a school of baby manta rays .  About 20 of them were playing all around me and sporadically jumping through the air...infinitely more entertaining than the pathetically weak "waves" I was trying to surf 
joness View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote joness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2010 at 10:31am
Originally posted by ialex2005i

I live in Hawaii now.. On Oahu, please tell me where I can see these dolphins? I'd love to hitch a ride!

It's on the east side of the Big Island. Definitely a locals spot... but they all know it. We use to call it the naked hippie beach, although, it was always men who were naked now that I think of it...

yeah, rays are super cool. In the gulf of mexico, found myself surfing in a school of baby manta rays . About 20 of them were playing all around me and sporadically jumping through the air...infinitely more entertaining than the pathetically weak "waves" I was trying to surf

That is so awesome! Off of the Big Island (next to Kona) you can go out diving and see the manta rays. If you do it at night, just bring a really strong light, which attracts the plankton, which in turn attracts the manta rays. They swim inches above your head. If you are on the surface of the water they will come and do flips under you. A few dive shops in the area go out almost every day. You can meet up with their groups under the water (they can't keep people away, and they don't even know who is with the other shops).
Big Air. Kids today, that's all they want, big air. I say stick to the mountain. That's where the fun is. You want big air kid? Pull my finger.
Vinno View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Vinno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2010 at 3:48pm
Mark Ochilupo reckons he was out surfing once (don't remember where) and an Orca basically jumped over him! Now that would be scary!!
dilldawg View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dilldawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2010 at 5:01am
what would you guys do if you saw a shark? how long would you stay out of the water lol?
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2010 at 6:27am
I saw plenty of sharks when I surfed on the east coast.  With the schools southern florida spinner sharks clearly in the waves, I kept surfing because the locals said it was o.k.  

In south carolina, we were kinda solo and the water was murky, so when a 5 ft hammerhead practically brushed up against us, we freaked out and bailed.

Water is usually really clear in the gulf of mexico and you frequently ride over smaller sand sharks, no problem.  Thing is, my step brother caught an 8-10 foot hammerhead right off alabama point jetty

Here in CA, water is dark and you really have no idea what's around you.  There are probably more seals than anything (shark food) and otters, but there's almost as many dolphins and they're pretty protective of their babies
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 18>