Official Surfing Thread

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 1314151617 18>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
STRICK-9 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote STRICK-9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official Surfing Thread
    Posted: Oct/19/2011 at 1:34am
Slater is surfing as well now as he did 15 yrs ago....funny how he contributes golf and other sports for putting him in the proper mind frame for surf competitions.
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2011 at 8:56pm
Anyone from San Fran area on here thats into surfing? Whats the forecast for the ASP starting in a few days? Hopefully a big swell on the way... If Kelly's gunna win it here it would be great to see it good conditions
fmy11 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote fmy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2011 at 10:01pm
Classic C LOGO coach bag also in a Monogram LOGO wind,coach outlet onlinesuccess deepen brand image, foil color spot blue Mosaic of youth fashion. Since always, COACH increasing DuoZhong design and materials, each sample COACH bag there are strong American style, and adhere to the delicate high quality, coach outlet became the first brand of leather. Kristin drape skin with small smoke shoulder bag is along with the gender and Jane "perfect combination, a bit does not show ling mess. Downy drape and take out of ancient clever with design fresh and low-key, indigo purple, watermelon red, white and perfect and lime camel's hair is tonal, make whole series yi yi is unripe brightness.coach online No matter in the warm summer ramble, or a sharper attack windbreaker achievement delicate transform, Coach new spring series will help you perfect deduce exciting fresh breath and charming soft female glamour. Downy drape and take out of ancient clever with design fresh and low-key, and Kristin exotic flowers with small wind pressure smoke shoulder bag and hand bag into the moderate skin but boa luxury means. Indigo purple, watermelon red, white and perfect and lime camel's hair is tonal, make whole series yi yi is unripe brightness.
STRICK-9 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote STRICK-9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2011 at 1:11am
Hey all....found two really good deals locally on new boards.  One is a 7S Fish  and the other is a Mactavish Carver....any opinions on either of these boards?
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2011 at 5:03am
Originally posted by Migoo

Anyone from San Fran area on here thats into surfing? Whats the forecast for the ASP starting in a few days? Hopefully a big swell on the way... If Kelly's gunna win it here it would be great to see it good conditions

You could head to SC and see a bunch of Pros that way.
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2011 at 12:20pm
Well they are both in the mid-length/fun board range so I assume thats what your chasing.

2 different approaches though, the carver is a fairly stock standard mid-length, should be able to ride it in just about any waves, easy to paddle & ride. The 7s is more of step down in length board for most people. As in you can ride it shorter than your normal board, they are quite thick through the middle and bevel/step down to thinner rails so they can still turn easy. The 7s would be aimed at higher performance than the carver.

Both will be machine shaped (probably in Asia somewhere), similar build quality, although I would lean towards the McTavish personally. But I ride more traditional shapes, usually single fins, so the carver would be closer to that category.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2011 at 1:06pm
dude i love my 7s.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
STRICK-9 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote STRICK-9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2011 at 3:10am
Thanks...Mgoo & mluu:  Just looking for a cheap board for next year and don't wanna committ solely to a Long Board here in the SE.  Still want something that I can ride for fun and challenge.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2011 at 10:14am
Yeah I'd suggest buying used so you don't have to pay too much. Youll enjoy the 7s for sure.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
CO_champagne View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2011 at 10:20am
Slater won round 1 so he only has to win his next round to become KS 11.  It's basically all locked up now.

I wish I could duck out of work and watch the madness down at Ocean Beach SF.
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2011 at 10:40pm
Yeah it's all over, 1 more heat, would take some sort of miracle from here. I can't even stream it at work to watch
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2011 at 1:04pm
Maybe not today.... Dan Ross has got him with 2 mins to go. Tension on the beach
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2011 at 1:08pm
Hold the phone King Ke11y it is! Last minute score. Unbelievable @ 39 years old.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2011 at 1:33pm
Congrats Ke11y!  He is flat out ridiculous!  Crazy that he sealed it near my home break.  I surfed OB last weekend and it looked nothing like what these guys are doing.  Sad for me, great for Ke11y.
STRICK-9 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote STRICK-9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2011 at 12:55am
Very good news in deed....epic...now can he win his 12th at age 40????????
luck01 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote luck01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2011 at 1:01am
1133“We wish that will show to the fans to the adore near to to toward kobe shoes. In any case, we could arrive steering to acquire completely actively lebron shoesplaying basketball,” James said. “This summer time time time to me instead cheap jordan shoes and unforgettable, ordinarily to the end result in which i could possibly Air Jordan 26possibly be utilizing the basketball fans near to to toward world, to satisfy with frequent adore near to to toward ball buddy and basketball gamers sustain out together, dressed in nike Jordan 13 actively playing basketball.”It is now receiving a pastime utilizing just one an additional utilizing a Jordan 11 subculture to each of the NBA fans round the world to collect a signature NBA shoes for example Jordan and Lebron. The Lebron 8 Blackout is instead anticipated by countless many Jordan 6 Rings addicts near to to toward world jointly
2211should really unquestionably it is best to purchase radii shoes or dance shoes,above,the shoes,it positively pc. supra shoes inside the internet neighborhood local community Radii Straight Jacket are severely protected and warm,unique and stylish. placing concerning the Radii 420 Top above,you will in no way be deemed a troubles at any time you skate.Supra shoes commit as with trendy left most people,especially in amid youthful individuals Supra Skytop 3 who are enthusiastic are receiving even more popular. See above,as shoes attributes large perfect layout and layout and inspiring than you adore to preserve out it utilizing the preliminary time. Other merchandise for you: Supra Skytop,above the company,Supra Vaider,Supra Cuban,Supra Vaider High,ECT. appreciate each of the attributes of severely really good shoes and wonder before.Only thinking about about about that 2007,began to explode,Supra Shoes.

Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 1:04am
Do you have to be an expert member to report/block spam? If so, can someone spam the above. If I am able to do it let me know how. Cheers.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 4:53am
i thought there was a spam button...but i guess not. Wrong forum.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2011 at 12:30am
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!? The ASP messed up and awarded him the title early. Still has to win one more heat. How can they make a mistake like that.... Still it would be crazy for him not to win it from here.
STRICK-9 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote STRICK-9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2011 at 1:16am

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!? The ASP messed up and awarded him the title early. Still has to win one more heat. How can they make a mistake like that.... Still it would be crazy for him not to win it from here.

Cannot believe it but things happen...between here and Hawaii it's virtually a lock for one more heat to be had.
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2011 at 4:11pm
& it's official, congrats Kelly. Bit of an anticlimax, but still so amazing.
STRICK-9 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote STRICK-9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2011 at 12:31am
I guess Kelly actually discovered it first and notified the ASP.....nice class.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2011 at 3:22pm
I can't believe they would mess up the heat like that. Has that every happened before?
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2011 at 3:48pm
I don't know of it happening before, I doubt it. But apparently Kelly was tweeting etc after winning the heat/title when someone got in touch with him and told him to check the calcs. He did, and contacted ASP with the news...
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2011 at 2:31pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4lEmDFMlmM
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2011 at 2:39pm
I'm so pissed I missed the Rip Curl Pro SF.  I wanted to see it live but all the days called were not good with my schedule.  I guess I'll wait another 20 years to see Ke11y.
highway12south View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 12:02am
It was draining pretty good  here yesterday  afternoon with light north winds blowing into  Sean's tropical storm  south swell energy. Hopefully gonna get on the snow Thanks giving weekend!
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2011 at 3:55pm
Who's gettin ready for Pipe? Looks a good swell from day 1. Yew

I'm backing Dane, just got a feeling he might do something special to end the year. Won't be surprised if Ke11y dominates though, as usual...
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Quote adeodadus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 9:34am
You guys watching the pipe masters?,..  anyone seen that wave 2JF rode a 10!.. Damn that kid is good.. took ~10 ftter on the upper curls.. waited for the inside sandbar then perfect 10Clap
Fear is the Mind Killer
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 9:47am
thanks, I forgot about it. 

btw, if you're watching via surfline, I think the resolution is a tiny bit better on the actual billabong site
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Quote adeodadus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 10:00am
Hoping to make it to the NS for a session today or this weekend... most likely Alii or glass doors side...
Fear is the Mind Killer
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Quote adeodadus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 10:08am
btw: you never ever see pipe empty like this unless its a competition...   Man this gives me bumps..  I've called jesusEmbarrassed a couple times here...
Fear is the Mind Killer
jlecoche View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jlecoche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2011 at 10:59am
how does surfing compare to snowboarding? obviously there are some differences but are there any similarities in riding styles or the feel of the two sports?
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2011 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by jlecoche

how does surfing compare to snowboarding? obviously there are some differences but are there any similarities in riding styles or the feel of the two sports?
already answered on page 5

...although I'm starting to think snowboarding is just as fun (years ago, I woulda said surfing).  Surfing has gotten so crowded and, most people are so desperate for high wave counts, they don't follow any of the rules of priority and safety and anymore....they just drop in on you, hoping you'll just bail (very frustrating/not fun).  Used to be, if you see a guy/girl that you know can surf (and isn't too weak to the catch waves) and they have priority position, you waited your turn until the next wave.  You don't see that much, anymore. 
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2011 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Piranha

Originally posted by jlecoche

already answered on page 5

...although I'm starting to think snowboarding is just as fun (years ago, I woulda said surfing).  Surfing has gotten so crowded and, most people are so desperate for high wave counts, they don't follow any of the rules of priority and safety and anymore....they just drop in on you, hoping you'll just bail (very frustrating/not fun).  Used to be, if you see a guy/girl that you know can surf (and isn't too weak to the catch waves) and they have priority position, you waited your turn until the next wave.  You don't see that much, anymore. 

I started surfing way before I rode my first snowboard and I'm gonna say they are both just as fun. And you're right, etiquette/priority/safety doesn't mean a thing to anyone anymore on the waves. But I think it's due to the nature of the sport and the overwhelming popularity....simply put: too many surfers, not enough waves. Where as snowboarding, the mtn is big and wide..and just riding the snowboarding is fun (where as surfing u need a wave).

Also, when snowboarders run into each other, they ask if the other is okay and apologize and move on. Where as surfers will bitch/moan/fight because now they have to wait for the next wave.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
adhdspazz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Tip slide= P.i.t.A

Quote adhdspazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2011 at 2:51pm
I haven't had that many problems on the waves, but I have had unfortunate experiences. But the veteran riders are the worst... I always get cut off by them...
Even though there are a lot of surfers you can still ride without being a jerk.. Not to mention it's just that people all swam the "popular" places, because they want to catch the good waves, by going where all the people who know what they are doing, are.. I always go off on my own, and I'm fine usually.

And priority/safety are starting to mean less on the mountain too... I mean last time my friend went he got slammed.. He was just riding down the mountain, and some dude behind him came blasting down, without even calling a direction, or paying attention to what was in front of him (obviously not realizing that THE PEOPLE FARTHER DOWN THE MOUNTAIN HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY!! THE PEOPLE IN FRONT OF YOU!!!
My cousin got a concussion from a guy who barreled into her too.. She was in the hospital, and the dude kept going after the accident. People are really starting to be jerks on the mountain and in the ocean....
Seriously if you know people who ride like that, please slap them... I hate hearing about people getting hit by other people, only because one person wasn't paying attention...
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2011 at 3:01pm
^a lot of that is due to alcohol and/or drugs.  You simply can't surf drunk (I've tried) and it's probably not that great stoned, but a lot of snowboarders/skiers seem to think it's no fun any other way.

If you see someone on the lift drinking or toking, turn them in to patrol (require your anonymity)...it's in your best interest as well as others.
adhdspazz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Tip slide= P.i.t.A

Quote adhdspazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2011 at 3:05pm
Really? Like I would smell weed, but, I never expected an intoxicated person to be riding... Wow, that's... Smh... Jeez who the hell thinks that kind of crap is a good idea? -.-

vicente View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vicente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2011 at 3:49pm
I would say close to as many people ride high as not, to be perfectly honest with you. I don't smoke sometimes we'll have a couple beers while riding never a lot though. The biggest things I've heard that were surprising were people doing shrooms while riding, that's just a super bad idea.
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2011 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by vicente

I would say close to as many people ride high as not, to be perfectly honest with you. I don't smoke sometimes we'll have a couple beers while riding never a lot though. The biggest things I've heard that were surprising were people doing shrooms while riding, that's just a super bad idea.

Shrooms while boarding, jeez it's hard enough to just walk around on those things let alone board... I don't think I could handle that.

Not sure it would be close to 50-50, considering all the learners etc. but certainly a lot of people are. Doesn't interest me while I'm on the slopes frankly, I wanna take it all in as I don't get to go that often. Have encountered a few guys on the smoke while surfing, it's super dangerous though. People drown even in peak fitness, adding that to the ocean is asking for it.

Oh, and with the comparison between surfing and snowboarding, the closest thing is riding an alaia. They are thin wooden boards (mine are less than 1/2 an inch), no fins, and you can really only turn them by using the edges, like boarding.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2011 at 8:56am
Yeah guys that ride intoxicated make me really nervous..especially when my little siblings are boarding too. 2 weeks ago a dude knocked me out as he was bombing the mtn...but he didnt keep riding, he unstrapped and ran up to see if I was okay.

As for surfing, i dont think i've paddled out with intoxicated dudes before....but I have encountered veterans who think every wave is there...
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2011 at 9:10am
yeah, those guys are usually morons...they surf almost every day for decades, yet they still try to catch waves out from under you, out of priority. 

What's even more pathetic is the veteran longboarders - they'll steal a wave they know you were going for first...then stand there like a statue and paddle back out talking like they're ripping.  Lame.
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2011 at 4:13pm
YEW! for Kieran Perrow winning Pipe too. No longer just a bridesmaid.

Especially awesome as he had to make the quarters just to re-qualify for the tour, and he let it slip in the last couple of minutes of the final last year.

Check the highlights if you missed it, there were epic waves, and stacks...
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2011 at 5:38am
Originally posted by adhdspazz

And priority/safety are starting to mean less on the mountain too... I mean last time my friend went he got slammed.. He was just riding down the mountain, and some dude behind him came blasting down, without even calling a direction, or paying attention to what was in front of him (obviously not realizing that THE PEOPLE FARTHER DOWN THE MOUNTAIN HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY!! THE PEOPLE IN FRONT OF YOU!!!
My cousin got a concussion from a guy who barreled into her too.. She was in the hospital, and the dude kept going after the accident. People are really starting to be jerks on the mountain and in the ocean....
Seriously if you know people who ride like that, please slap them... I hate hearing about people getting hit by other people, only because one person wasn't paying attention...
Yah man.. what's up with that! There's no more respect out there, well very little at the most.
Does it need to be enforced? get kicked off the slopes or waves if you're doing dumbsh!t?
where is the culture going to? hearing way too many bad experiences...
hope your cousin's alright
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2011 at 8:04am

YEW! for Kieran Perrow winning Pipe too. No longer just a bridesmaid.

Especially awesome as he had to make the quarters just to re-qualify for the tour, and he let it slip in the last couple of minutes of the final last year.

Check the highlights if you missed it, there were epic waves, and stacks...

Nice!! Congrats to Kieran! I watched the first day of Pipe online...and then got lost when finals week started! I heard it was pretty badass this year!
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 8:31pm
It was pretty solid throughout. Kieran deserved the win, he charged!

I heard Kelly say while calling the final that when he saw Kieran waxing up for the final he blood dripping from a couple of spots, duct tape covering a multitude of reef gashes...
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by vicente

I saw someone on shrooms or acid while surfing and that was pretty funny and scary bc I was kinda worried he would die but good thing it was a small day. He was half scared of the water but knew he had to paddle. So it was really odd. 
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2012 at 7:23am
Wasn't sure where to post this vid. It's a surf/snowboard.  I want oneBig smile

screwyvarmint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote screwyvarmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2012 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by snowj720

Wasn't sure where to post this vid. It's a surf/snowboard.  I want oneBig smile

Says it's a private video.  I'm pretty sure a hybrid surf-snow-board would be a terrible thing tho.
FreeCarve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Maalaea Freight Trains

Quote FreeCarve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2012 at 1:03pm
Yeah, there's no such thing as an Everything Board. I did have fun watching Da Boys try towing in with snowboards at Jaws, though. They'll try everything once.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 18>