Official Surfing Thread

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 15161718>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
highway12south View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official Surfing Thread
    Posted: Oct/03/2012 at 12:16am
John John vs Taylor  in that comp 19 year old  vs 41  yr old once Rd 3 starts
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2012 at 12:56am
 Lil Head dip. Eventually wanna get a full on shack shot. Its harder to do than you think .Paddle in ,pull in , hold cam perfect , not get axed etc..

Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2012 at 11:47pm
Yew!!!! Sick heat with John John, Kolohe & Pupo. John for the win.

Dane in the water now... Some crazy barrels coming through.

http://quiksilverlive.com/profrance/2012/live.en.html

Get on it
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2012 at 12:09am
Also to note that Dane knocked Mick out of the comp already early in Rd 2 . The title race is gonna be real tight if Kelly Joel + J John get through a few more heats
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2012 at 3:47pm
Stacked semi's kelly vs joel and dane vs john john!
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2012 at 12:41am
Quiksilver could not have asked for a better outcome... Kelly v Dane in the final. Epic.

Shame that Dane broke his board he'd been riding all week before the final. Would be hard on a heavy beachy like that to adjust to a new stick.

Awesome comp all round though.

It's tight in the rankings now...
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2012 at 12:47am
Missed the final live as it was 3 AM here .Dane shreds + Kelly is Kelly .What other athlete has been at the top of his sport for 20 + yrs strong + still there
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 12:25am
Mid OCt. Hurricane swell is on the way  for the East! 
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2012 at 5:30pm
WOW, Kelly and Mich both eliminated from Portugal...

Epic QF between John John and Parko coming up tonight! Cant wait. If Parko can beat JJ, and at least make the final he's going to have a good lead.
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2012 at 5:42pm
Well at least Parko beat JJ & has a decent lead in the title race.

Crazy final though, Julian getting the score with seconds on the clock. Medina should not have let him have that wave... Could see he was shattered on the podium, pretty much crying. Julian was pretty gracious in victory, really handled the situation well considering it's his 1st WCT win.

Bring on Santa Cruz
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2012 at 3:15pm
I am really excited for SC. It is my home break (although I live in Utah now) and it is still anyone race. I think this year will be a nail bitter which is really exciting.
I will be kinda weird if Joel wins at the rate he is going. Will be the turtle in the race, Not winning an event but taking it. 
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2012 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Timmay_650

I am really excited for SC. It is my home break (although I live in Utah now) and it is still anyone race. I think this year will be a nail bitter which is really exciting.
I will be kinda weird if Joel wins at the rate he is going. Will be the turtle in the race, Not winning an event but taking it. 

On the adjusted rankings (with 2 throw aways) Kelly is actually in front... Parko needs to finish in front of Kelly at least in both remaining events to win it. They always say you have to actually win events to win the title, this really highlights that. Parko has been way more consistent but just can't win one, three 2nds, 3rds etc.

Really coming down to the wire.
DerekF View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote DerekF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2012 at 5:48pm
Has anyone here seen a shark while surfing?
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 5:28pm
Only twice, and I've been surfing for about 15 years.

Worst one was a big bronze whaler the popped up between me and another guy about 10m away. Then dissapeared. I'd been in the water on my own for about 45 mins before anyone else came out too, glad I didn't see it then.

Pretty sure I've just jinxed myself, I'll see one tomorrow I bet...
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 6:34pm
the shark question has already been asked in this thread...and answered...but I'll elaborate this time:

I first started surfing in Gulf Shores, Alabama (yes, they do get surfable waves...especially when you're 10 years old), then my parents ended up buying a condo in pensacola.  People don't realize the water can be very clear there and how sharky the gulf really is.  While your surfing a wave, you can see the bottom clearly and you frequently see different sized sharks...and manta rays, sting rays and everything else you run over.

I later moved to south carolina.  The water is kinda murky there so you really aren't as aware of the of the sea life.  However, once I was surfing with my friend in a junky windswell and the water was so churned up with mud it was like chocolate milk (we were the only ones out).  Just sitting there waiting for a wave and, to my horror, I see a fin coming toward me about 20 feet away.  I kinda froze in fear but, somehow, lifted my legs onto the surfboard as the 5 foot hammerhead just mozied right under my board.  I then hauled ass to the beach and was yelling out to my friend when the shark made a B-line right for him and did the exact same thing.  My friend freaked out like a little bitch - it was so shtooking funny watching him scream and flailing to paddle in.

Later, I moved to Ft Lauderdale, but occasionally drove up to areas less shadowed by the bahamas to get better waves.  West Palm beach is grazed by the gulf stream, a current of water that's ultra warm and clear.  One day, a Singer Island local invited us to surf the jetty with him.  We get there and I'm shocked to see every single wave has a school of at least 10 big spinner sharks riding through it.  The guy said it was normal and safe...so we surfed...with schools of sharks in every wave.  Freak show.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by Piranha

the shark question has already been asked in this thread...and answered...but I'll elaborate this time:

I first started surfing in Gulf Shores, Alabama (yes, they do get surfable waves...especially when you're 10 years old), then my parents ended up buying a condo in pensacola.  People don't realize the water can be very clear there and how sharky the gulf really is.  While your surfing a wave, you can see the bottom clearly and you frequently see different sized sharks...and manta rays, sting rays and everything else you run over.

I later moved to south carolina.  The water is kinda murky there so you really aren't as aware of the of the sea life.  However, once I was surfing with my friend in a junky windswell and the water was so churned up with mud it was like chocolate milk (we were the only ones out).  Just sitting there waiting for a wave and, to my horror, I see a fin coming toward me about 20 feet away.  I kinda froze in fear but, somehow, lifted my legs onto the surfboard as the 5 foot hammerhead just mozied right under my board.  I then hauled ass to the beach and was yelling out to my friend when the shark made a B-line right for him and did the exact same thing.  My friend freaked out like a little bitch - it was so shtooking funny watching him scream and flailing to paddle in.

Later, I moved to Ft Lauderdale, but occasionally drove up to areas less shadowed by the bahamas to get better waves.  West Palm beach is grazed by the gulf stream, a current of water that's ultra warm and clear.  One day, a Singer Island local invited us to surf the jetty with him.  We get there and I'm shocked to see every single wave has a school of at least 10 big spinner sharks riding through it.  The guy said it was normal and safe...so we surfed...with schools of sharks in every wave.  Freak show.

Damn!! That's crazy man. In the summer, I'm hitting up the waves everyday in Southern California. Definitely scared of encountering a shark! The fear does cross my mind sometimes, but usually when I get into the water I just forget about everything.

I hope I am never in your shoes man, I don't ever want to encounter anything with a fin besides those friendly dolphins that patrol my breaks.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2012 at 7:02am
Originally posted by Migoo

On the adjusted rankings (with 2 throw aways) Kelly is actually in front... Parko needs to finish in front of Kelly at least in both remaining events to win it. They always say you have to actually win events to win the title, this really highlights that. Parko has been way more consistent but just can't win one, three 2nds, 3rds etc.

I did my math the first time and parki was ahead, so i did it again and he wasn't. ha ha.  But it is really anyone race but  I don't know if parko keeps getting 2's and 3's i think he might be able to take it and he has a little bit of room to mess up bc he is dropping a 5th right now, where kelly is dropping a lot lower scores. But it will come down to the last event this year unless something big happens. 
Parko
6500, 8000, 8000, 8000, 6500, 6500

Slater
5200, 8000, 10000, 10000, 10000, 1750

Mick
10000, 6500, 6500, 10000, 6500, 4000
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2012 at 6:20pm

I did my math the first time and parki was ahead, so i did it again and he wasn't. ha ha.  But it is really anyone race but  I don't know if parko keeps getting 2's and 3's i think he might be able to take it and he has a little bit of room to mess up bc he is dropping a 5th right now, where kelly is dropping a lot lower scores. But it will come down to the last event this year unless something big happens. 
Parko
6500, 8000, 8000, 8000, 6500, 6500

Slater
5200, 8000, 10000, 10000, 10000, 1750

Mick
10000, 6500, 6500, 10000, 6500, 4000

Well Parko is the only top 5 surfer to progress straight to round 3... Maybe something crazy is going to happen in SC.
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2012 at 5:35pm
Well it's going to Pipe. That's probably what everyone wanted. Except Parko I guess....

He really needs to win in SC.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2012 at 1:38pm
I was sad to see Nate to lose to Parko but I didn't want Parko to lose. He has been surfing well in SC and slater hasn't be great but still slater.
I just love the cold water classic growing up surfing SC, it is great to watch videos, if i can't be surfing there.  
snowflakez View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote snowflakez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2012 at 6:18pm
is the SURFER magazine any good?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2012 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by snowflakez

is the SURFER magazine any good?

I have got it a few times for under $5 a year and it is great for that price. I like it for the pictures ha ha. 
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2012 at 10:05pm
The Lane looks like a sweet place to hold a contest
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2012 at 11:12pm
Jeez I think Parko blew it... With Kelly going out, if Parko could have won it would have been huge.

Bummed for Wilko, I think he deserved the win. Though Taj's 1st turn on his 1st wave in the final was sick!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 12:35am
If Wilko would of landed that last turn on his  final wave he would of got the score, 
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 11:39am

Jeez I think Parko blew it... With Kelly going out, if Parko could have won it would have been huge.

Bummed for Wilko, I think he deserved the win. Though Taj's 1st turn on his 1st wave in the final was sick!
Yea Wilko had a chance to win but the lane is hard to surf and he need to land a few and he would of won.

It would of helped parko if he could of even pulled a second he would be sitting a lot better. It seems like it is pretty much between parko and slater bc they can't even rank lower than 13th bc they are seeded into that round which i think is kinda foolish. If they are the top 3 in the world they should be able to make it there. 

As Parkinson is the current rankings leader on the ASP WCT, the following ASP World Title scenarios will be based on his potential finishes at Pipeline.

If Parkinson finishes 13th, 9th or 5th at the Billabong Pipe Masters:
- Slater needs a 5th or higher to take the 2012 ASP World Title.
- Fanning needs to win at Pipeline to take the 2012 ASP World Title.*
*Contingent upon Slater finishing 5th or Lower at Pipeline.

If Parkinson finishes Equal 3rd at the Billabong Pipe Masters:
- Slater needs a 3rd or higher to take the 2012 ASP World Title.
- Fanning needs to win at Pipeline to take the 2012 ASP World Title.*
*Contingent upon Slater finishing 5th or Lower at Pipeline.

If Parkinson finishes 2nd at the Billabong Pipe Masters:
- Slater needs to win at Pipeline to take the 2012 ASP World Title.
- Fanning cannot win the 2012 ASP World Title.

If Parkinson wins the Billabong Pipe Masters, he will take the 2012 ASP World Title.

Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 12:08pm
WHo you pulling for Timmay?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 2:12pm
I would like to see Owen wright win but that isn't going to happen this year. (got to stick with tall, goofy footers) I would love to see Parko win. I have seen Slater win before. 
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 10:59pm
I wanted to see Grom John win it . I'm sure his time is coming and he and Medina will be battling for many years to come
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2012 at 9:44am
I am hoping Kolohe Andino finds he groove bc he can surf but he didn't come out of the gate as strong as Medina. When your taking down kelly your coming out strong ha ha. I thought Andino would do a lot better at trestles this year b/c he has killed it there in the pass but no luck.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2012 at 12:51pm
Watched him win at the ECSC in VA Beach last year .Lots of wisdom passed down  from his pops + Snips
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2012 at 10:12pm
I went and saw Chasing Mavs and I really liked it. Living in Utah everyone was sad when they found out how the movie ended. It was neat the little lines they put in that surfers would get but not everyone.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2012 at 1:55am
Looking to see that movie this weekend as well,broke plans last weekend to see it to go chase Sandys snowfall
CO_champagne View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2012 at 5:06am
I'm planning to see the movie next weekend in Hawaii.  I've read some blogs that say its just another failed surfing movie.  But I think I will enjoy it.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2012 at 11:20am
It was weird, the theater was full of older adults (+50) which is really odd for a surfing movie. I think doesn't appeal to the younger generation (not enough sexy and drug) but it was all about surfing so that doesn't appeal too much to the older generation. 
I think it will fail in the box office but I think it will get good personal reviews. 
I think it will do good when it comes to video.  
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2012 at 4:21pm

I am hoping Kolohe Andino finds he groove bc he can surf but he didn't come out of the gate as strong as Medina. When your taking down kelly your coming out strong ha ha. I thought Andino would do a lot better at trestles this year b/c he has killed it there in the pass but no luck.

I've been waiting for Andino to explode this year... He's got all the tricks, just hasn't quite found his groove yet. Really dig his style. Medina for me is to formulaic, air reverse, air reverse etc. He doesn't have great style/flow, but his airs ARE ridiculous.

C'mon Parko!!! He must be stressing waiting for Pipe to start.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2012 at 9:41pm
I went home to CA for thanksgiving and went to Santa Cruz. It felt so nice to get out in the water but my arms lost so much for paddling. I went to the lane and took a small one right along the rocks but decide that was a bad idea bc it has been over a year. I went to the middle peak and got a few good lefts which was nice bc I am goof and my backside is really hurting. So much fun.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2012 at 8:26pm
Have any of you guys used the surfboard mount for GoPro before? I'm probably going to buy one to use when I come back to CA for winter break.

My question is...is the 3M sticky pad better than the FCS plug? I was just looking at youtube reviews and most people used the sticky pad, that's why I ask.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2012 at 11:19pm
Looking forward to the pipe contest next week  ,Love kelly but would love to see Parko win the title. r
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2012 at 7:44pm
I have the gopro mount on my board. I would rather have the fcs one but that is a lot more work b/c you have to get on put in your board, not many people have an FCS plug on there nose. I haven't had any major problems with M3 mount. What i don't like about it is the camera angle isn't high enough for me. Maybe I put it too high on the nose but i don't think so.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2012 at 9:30pm

I have the gopro mount on my board. I would rather have the fcs one but that is a lot more work b/c you have to get on put in your board, not many people have an FCS plug on there nose. I haven't had any major problems with M3 mount. What i don't like about it is the camera angle isn't high enough for me. Maybe I put it too high on the nose but i don't think so.

I would imagine the FCS plug is more secure. What do you mean the angle isn't high enough...wouldn't that be solved by mounting the camera closer to the nose?
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2012 at 5:33pm
Anyone surf in Ventura last weekend?  Great swell...a little too much for my beginner skills but still gave it a go.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2012 at 10:35am
Joel won! I was kinda hoping Shane was going to take out Kelly. It kinda showed me that not only kelly at his age can compete. I think only Kelly could of taken out Shane so soon.  
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2012 at 11:00am
 Bet the Aussies were partying hard last night at the Billabong House to celebrate the Parko world title
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2013 at 4:09pm
2013 here we go. Quicky pro is on as of today.

Waves ok, hopefully will improve later in the week.
CO_champagne View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2013 at 6:39am
Wow, did anyone see Kelly's barrel in the final?  That shoulda been a 10.  Congrats to Kelly.  Here's to another Slater year 2013......Ke12y
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2013 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by CO_champagne

Wow, did anyone see Kelly's barrel in the final?  That shoulda been a 10.  Congrats to Kelly.  Here's to another Slater year 2013......Ke12y

He really is a freak of nature... 41 years old and still at the top of the game.

Shame they only got Kirra for 3 heats, but man they were good heats.
sdwc96 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sdwc96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2013 at 9:13pm
got some surf in today even though it was low tide and dying. tomorrow holds promise though cause its a good day for diving and getting lobster before the season ends. its nice to get a board sport in when the mountains are hot.
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Quote adeodadus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2013 at 12:14pm
Southshore was close to overhead and really clean todaySmile _ summer is coming
Fear is the Mind Killer
sdwc96 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sdwc96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2013 at 12:30pm
Yea its sad that the snowboarding season is coming to an end but im happy about the surf picking up and not having to wear a 4/3 anymore. My surf spots are still sporadic with 1-2 ft waves but there have been a few good sets the last few days.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>