Official Surfing Thread

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 34567 18>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
k-brew View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
  Quote k-brew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official Surfing Thread
    Posted: Apr/04/2010 at 6:46pm
i would sock him in the head and grab his fin or wear a cevlar wetsuit ha
Vinno View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Vinno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2010 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by dilldawg

what would you guys do if you saw a shark? how long would you stay out of the water lol?

over here there is an island called North Stradbroke, Unbelievable waves but teaming with sharks, if you got out everytime you saw one you'd never get a good sesh, so the local's rule is if its bigger than you, you get out LOL

luckily they are pretty well fed!
tobush View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote tobush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2010 at 9:48pm
is surfing like snowboarding or harder?
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2010 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by tobush

I think so b/c you have to deal with a moving  wave and it is harder b/c you have to learn how to read that wave. 
Vinno View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Vinno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2010 at 11:21pm

it takes a lot longer to pick up, but it doesn't hurt as much when you fall off! unless you are surfing serious waves over reefs or rock ledges, in which case it hurts a LOT more Big smile

but seriously it probably is more difficult because there are a lot more variables
iis2fly View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote iis2fly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2010 at 11:26pm
where are the best surfing beaches in cali?
willzi View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote willzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2010 at 3:26pm
I agree with vinno, need to spend plenty more hours in the water than you do on the slopes to reach the same level. But once you do, just like snowboarding it is very rewarding :)
rishihb View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote rishihb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 2:36am
i hope to try surfing this summer.. just to keep me busy until next season
darekaz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote darekaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 2:50am
Maybe this year Sierra launch SierrSurf shop :P it would be great :)
kjur3 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote kjur3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 5:59pm
sierra skim would be sweet too!
justinpatchett View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote justinpatchett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 9:11pm
how about sierra all sporting goods in existence store they no one can want more
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by iis2fly

where are the best surfing beaches in cali?

All of CA? or Nor cal and so Cal? I have surfer from SF to SD a bunch and they all have good beaches, it matters on the swell.
nachosyumm View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote nachosyumm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 9:49pm
Anyone have any hook-ups for wetsuits?  I was hoping to get a used middle of the line wetsuit, but i can't seem to find any in my size.  Is their any sierrasnowboard in the surfing world?
willzi View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote willzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 10:19pm
Sierra surfing would be wicked, but somehow I doubt they would get the same discounts as most of the good boards are hand shaped by well known shapers.
dilldawg View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dilldawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2010 at 3:34am

well, to put it this way, when you go to the ocean your not gonna catch every wave, but when you go to the mountain, you cant miss the slope
phamwd View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
asian dude on the left

Quote phamwd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2010 at 3:36am
surfing is way harder. unlike snowboarding, the board can knock you out, and you can't wear a helmet. lol.
Gnar Gnar Harvey View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Gnar Gnar Harvey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2010 at 4:20am
Anyone live near Oji?
dilldawg View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dilldawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2010 at 6:35am
ooooh you guys ever get fins to the head? not the funnest...Ouch
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2010 at 7:02am
surfing is infinitely harder...especially to do it really well, where you're in control of where you want to go. 

First of all, there is no lift!  You have to paddle back out after ever ride ("earn your turns").  ...and it will absolutely wipe you out, if you're not in shape

You also have to have learned which waves are gonna be good (not all are).  At beach breaks, sometimes good waves pop up out of nowhere, so it's a split second decision....and paddling into them has to be as quick ("corking" the board helps me pop into those)

the crowd factor is the most underrated aspect of surfing.  It becomes a game of tact and knowledge...sometimes intimidation.  You're probably going to be surfing with other people, people you don't know, and they're all competitive because they want to up their wave count.  It can be frustrating and stressful.

Snowboarding: you learn some control, ride up the lift, you ride down, trying not to run into anyone or get beat up by falls too bad

Shaphan78 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
nyc surf

Quote Shaphan78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2010 at 8:46am

Im a Nyc Surfer,

Quiver:

10'0 Driftwood
7'6" Aussie Shaped
6'6 Webber Afterburner
6'3 Handmade Retrofish. I named it the Short Bus. School Bus Yellow, with a little bit of rocker and some deeper channels through the tail.

Gester87 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Gester87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2010 at 9:39am
Im taking my first surf lessons next week,
super excited, if its as fun as snowboarding, i may have to pick up a surf board :P
Vinno View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Vinno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2010 at 9:45am
 4:45 in Aus now, heading out now for some fun super clean 3footersBig smile
Maaman91 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Maaman91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2010 at 10:17am
surfing is definitely harder, especially on a short board. there are a lot of steps to surfing... paddling, and then actually catching a wave, and then finally standing up. 
dilldawg View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dilldawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2010 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Shaphan78

Im a Nyc Surfer,

Quiver:

10'0 Driftwood
7'6" Aussie Shaped
6'6 Webber Afterburner
6'3 Handmade Retrofish. I named it the Short Bus. School Bus Yellow, with a little bit of rocker and some deeper channels through the tail.

you surf during hurricane bill?? how was it up there? i was down in the outer banks at the time.
mikeofarabia View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Xbox Live: Eat Ur Corpse

Quote mikeofarabia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2010 at 2:10pm
I've been testing out longer and more fun shapes from my good ole 6'1"!!!
willzi View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote willzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2010 at 12:43am
Clean, warm surf it was in Australia. And as for that quiver above... Man you have got some big boards!! Not into shorties?
Gnar Gnar Harvey View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Gnar Gnar Harvey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2010 at 3:58am
The way you control the board between surfing and snowboarding are two different worlds.
Murph13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Kickflip fail

Quote Murph13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2010 at 9:38am
Surfing is so much harder than boarding. I will never forget riding my first wave
j3rm View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote j3rm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2010 at 11:44pm
agree with above :)
darekaz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote darekaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2010 at 11:54pm
Anybody know surf shop, cheap like sierra ?
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote justinpatchett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2010 at 9:44pm
no i dont
marble49 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote marble49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2010 at 9:49pm
i haven't found anything that beats ss yet
Vinno View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Vinno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2010 at 1:44am
nope and i don't think you will, most surf merchandising is well and truly controlled by the big brands, billabong Quicksilver and rip curl have been doing what burton is trying to do now for years, they pick and choose their stockists and sell a good proportion of gear through their own outlets. That and Snowboards are easy to mass produce, the surf industry is starting to become an automated industry but if you want a really high quality board their is no substitute for an old fashioned shaper!
Murph13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Kickflip fail

Quote Murph13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2010 at 7:55am
"but if you want a really high quality board their is no substitute for an old fashioned shaper!"

This!
johnjohn420 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote johnjohn420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2010 at 8:02am
nope you have to be introduced to a SURF BOARD SHAPER
mines in oceanside,ca   wave riding vechicals
pat mullhern

nothing like a board that is made for you
custom and hand shaped for cheap
in stores its 700 board and a used one is 300-350
from the shaper you can get deals
nachosyumm View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote nachosyumm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2010 at 3:06pm

Went surfing yesterday in San onofre and at seal beach today, so much fun!

Seems easier to learn than snowboarding, i just sorta messed around while my friends surfed.  Maybe it was because i use to boogie board all the time, but it really doesn't seem too difficult.  I can stand up, just need to work on popping up quicker.  Barely caught any waves today though, the fish they had me ride was much harder to paddle than the longboard i rode yesterday + my arms were already sore.

Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote justinpatchett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2010 at 10:34pm
boards made by local shapers are way better than any factory board you will ever buy
Dirtydragon View Drop Down
Local
Local
The Top oF Tahoe

Quote Dirtydragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2010 at 10:41pm
i jsut bought 2 surf lessons from groupon yesterday i am sooo juiced!
BobzoR View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote BobzoR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2010 at 10:45pm
+1
t1npbo9 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote t1npbo9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2010 at 12:07am
would be awesome to see those dolphins...

i want to try surfing, but I dont know if i am good of a swimmer to surf. i learned to swim since i was 7 but don't swim often. passed high school swimming test.
dilldawg View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dilldawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2010 at 8:58am
bought a new board yesterday!!!!
willzi View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote willzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2010 at 3:20pm
Dont need to be an awesome swimmer to surf, just need to know your limits and feel comfortable in the water.
VNlilMAN View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote VNlilMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2010 at 4:36pm
paddling is such a pita. too bad they dont have 'lifts' in the ocean =D
i kid...

I tried it out last summer for my first time. I was able to pop up(one great tip they told me is, dont let go of the rail until your feet are on the board) and balance myself ok(thanks to snowboarding). After looking at pictures though, i noticed I was in a snowboard stance. surfing, i think your feet needs to be a lot wider.

Anyway, bought myself a brand new 7' wavestorm aka costco board for $70. hey better than paying $20 each time i go out.
Murph13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Kickflip fail

Quote Murph13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2010 at 5:30pm
^ Hello fellow Mt High rider
VNlilMAN View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote VNlilMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2010 at 10:16am
whats up murph! 4-6 inches in middle of April, Amazing... why am I at work today?
I hope your out there!
deckard View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote deckard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2010 at 11:09am
I just have my 9'6" hand shaped Hovie longboard.  I don't think that counts as a quiver unless I include my couple of Morey bodyboards.

I am usually somewhere along the Orange County coast in Southern California.  I almost always see dolphins around Newport and Huntington.  It's awesome when they are fornicating right in front of you too.  No shame.

Feel like I need a saltwater fix right now...
dpstrand View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dpstrand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2010 at 11:25am
I got a costco board last year. I found it very difficult, so much harder than snowboarding. I suppose I should take a lesson.
willzi View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote willzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2010 at 12:11am
I reckon your better off getting a mate who can surf to teach you
deckard View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote deckard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2010 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by willzi

I reckon your better off getting a mate who can surf to teach you

A buddy of mine taught me.  It seems like lessons are academic and easy to grasp.  After that it is all about practicing timing, analyzing the waves, muscle memory, and luck.  Of course I need a lot more practice in all of those.
USUsen. View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote USUsen. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2010 at 12:34pm
I am going to surf in Hawaii, and I suck. I am going to get rocked.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 18>