0 Staff | 9 Members
Live Chat
trusnow
Powered by 394,006 Members
Shopping Forum Out of Stock
username or email password
 Forum Home > SNOWBOARDS > The Board Room

Quick Login: Forgot password?

Two wheels discussion thread! (Motorcycles only!)

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 48>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nnoll View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
lef

Online Status: Offline
  Quote nnoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two wheels discussion thread! (Motorcycles only!)
    Posted: Aug/12/2013 at 8:08am
Anyone from the Midwest? I am a Minnesota rider and wondering where I can put my Buell on a track.
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2013 at 6:18pm
He's racing V8 Supercar here atm... but he seriously sucks at it. Plus it seems he's already managed to piss half the paddock, his own team included. The man can ride but he's a whinger... will always be.
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2013 at 12:48pm
Ya, Stoner's already tired of sitting at home LOL
No Sig... I'm just not that witty or creative
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2013 at 3:18pm
There was a video of the crash on youtube but you can't see much of it because of all the spray (which is obviously what caused it too). Still looked pretty nasty though. RIP.

Btw, remember what I said about Stoner a while back???

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/MotoGP/2013/July/jul2213-stoner-to-test-factory-honda/
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2013 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by educalifa

I reckon if Marquez jumps to the lead, the race is over though. If Rossi and Bradl can stay in front for 5-6 laps, they stand chance then.
Crazy that it happened and still didn't stop Marquez. That was a pretty amazing race for him.

I'm not ready to crown him yet, but I'm not sure what's going to stop him from winning the championship. First time at a fairly difficult track and he made it look easy. I realize that Jorge and Perdrosa were not healthy and I do think they would've made it more difficult, but I'm not sure the outcome wouldn't have been the same.

Time will tell. But with the summer break, all should be much healthier by Indy. Hopefully they all stay healthy and we have an epic championship battle the rest of the season.

BTW, did anyone see the crash that the WSS rider died from? I buzed through the recording, but didn't see the actual crash. Sad for him tho.

WSB race 1 was crazy with the late rain. I'm surprised no one got seriously injured in that mess.
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2013 at 9:21pm
I might be getting a bit carried away here given the man's injuries... but I reckon Lorenzo will be a podium contender AT LEAST! His pace during Q1 was solid fast. Not blistering but he's not far behind and he did multiple fast laps in a row... pretty much the only rider to do so.

I reckon if Marquez jumps to the lead, the race is over though. If Rossi and Bradl can stay in front for 5-6 laps, they stand chance then.
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2013 at 9:47pm
Practice report from Laguna today:

FP1: It was foggy and cold in the morning session, so you'd expect times to be a bit slow, but these guys put on a good show. Rossi set a good time early and it held up until very late in the session when Cruthlow posted a slightly better time on almost his last lap of the session. Marquez was off the pace early and posted a late time to bump himself up to third in the session. To me, the surprise of the session was Bradl, who held the second best time to Rossi most of the session until Crutchlow and Marquez improved.

FP2: By the time this afternoon session came around, it was warm and sunny. Rossi again set the top time early and it help up through most of the session. As exepected (I suppose) the top 9 times from this session were faster than the top time in from the morning session. Marquez and Bradl managed to post the top two times of the day late in the session after a pause due to Blake Young's crash, which red flagged the session since his bike lay in the middle of the track exiting T5 after a decent highside. The surprise of this session was Dovisioso, who came out of no where to post the third best time. Being on the Ducati and with Nicky 9th fastest, that was an impressively unexpected showing.

Well, if you're following the free practice results, you'll see Marquez at the top after FP2. Very impressive from the young rider, especially since this is his first time at Laguna on a MotoGP bike. He raced here one other time, in Moto2, two years ago. Bradl was also (unexpected by me anyway) consistent and fast and I imagine he'll be in the hunt on Sunday.

I'm still sticking with my Rossi prediction; although I have Crutchlow second and Marquez rounding out the podium. I just think Rossi's experience at the track will prevail over a race distance and Crutchlow should be right there. It's shaping up to be an interesting race though.

I won't be able to make it back down to the track for any more of the proceeding, but I'll watch qualifying and the race on TV. Hope you've enjoyed a little insight into what goes on leading up to the race.
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2013 at 5:35pm
I reckon the Race is Crutchlow's to lose... Yes Valentino used to rule Laguna Seca but his is not on the same form as before yet. Whether that's due to setup or not, I don't know. On top of that, Pedrosa and Lorenzo (I'm guessing they'll both race) won't be 100% and especially won't be willing to push too hard due to recent injuries... That leaves Marquez but the kid has never raced on that track before since Moto2 and Moto3 don't go there so Cal has that edge.

Then again, it's MotoGP and MM is freak. He might just be fast from the get go.
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Quote adeodadus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2013 at 1:35pm
Go Rossi but realistically.. MQZ and the honda seems like they got KERS on that Honda. 

Fear is the Mind Killer
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2013 at 12:53pm
Going to Laguna Seca tomorrow to check out the Moto GP scene. Should be fun and hopefully the race on Sunday is a good one.

Predictions? With Rossi coming on form on the Yamaha, I think it's his race to lose.
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2013 at 11:01pm
Cafe Racers, anyone here into that?

I've been trying to get motivated to finish a project I've got going on (bought last year) but with racing and 'life' getting in the way she's still pretty far from done.

This is a video I have of the bike when I first bought her:

CB500

Since that, I've removed the engine and bought a big bore kit (605cc) but I'm yet to actually get any work done on it.

Why oh why must I be so lazy? hahaha

PS: no idea on how to embed the video here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZveIPTbjSXg
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2013 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by adeodadus

Oh yeah... Rossi Wins, Rossi wins, all is good againClap

I'm seriously considering flying back home and have it operated on there... Unfortunately Doctors in Australia (not all but a good 90%) are far from what you'd expect on a developed country.

I seriously don't want to be remembered like 'The Ben Spies' of my mates hahahaha

Actually, he is being replaced by DeAngelis for the Laguna Seca round... that's a USA round FFS!!!
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Quote adeodadus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2013 at 10:39am
Oh yeah... Rossi Wins, Rossi wins, all is good againClap
Fear is the Mind Killer
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Quote adeodadus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2013 at 10:36am

Shoulder's mostly fixed... I reckon it will never 100% again. I'm back in the gym and there's this one exercise that if I do it puts me out of action for a week. I guess my back will just have to be a little weaker now! hahaha

I know what you mean about cloudbursts... Had one on the end of straight here once, young racer kido decided he could still make turn 1 (fastest corner on the track, 120-130mph if you're good) and well, he didn't. All I saw was the bike blasting past me and then demoliting itself in the gravel trap. Biggest part left was the engine block. Kid walked away without a scratch.

I'm currently on ARP wave therapy (NMES) for my SLAP tear: I really feel that it is helping recovery.

Then again _ Lorenzo just raced GP on a surgically repaired (2 days?) collar boneShocked
Fear is the Mind Killer
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2013 at 5:13pm
Here, here. The more racer competing up front, the better... for us fans anyway.
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2013 at 1:01am
Good on Rossi... great win! I do think that if Lorenzo was fit things wouldn't be so easy for him. But then again, he did say he had found something when testing at Aragon and then proved it during the weekend. He also mentioned after the race that he feels there's more improvement to be found, I sure hope so! It'd be great to have him actually fighting for the top spot more often!

Pedrosa was by far the biggest loser of the weekend. More so than Lorenzo with collarbone and all. He had the perfect opportunity to widden the gap by a LOT and finishing one spot ahead of Jorge must be disappointing to say the least!

Also, good on Cal for bringing a massive headache (albeit a good one) to Yamaha. Pol won again in Moto2, Rossi won and Cal not only got the Pol but had a real shot at the second position (ahead of the Factory Hondas!!) on a satellite bike!

The silly season has the potential to be one of silliest of all times with all these guys fighting for a decent seat next year, not to mention those that deserve but probably won't get one like Aleix Spargaro. Add to that the bikes Honda will be selling to teams and Yamaha leasing it's M1 engines and there's a lot in the air already!
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2013 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by cds4288

where do dealerships send their unsold new bikes. im looking to get a 08-11 CBR 1000 but i dont want a shit ton of miles on it.

Most dealerships around here just hold on to the bikes untill they sell. I recall seeing a "new" four year old bike at one place a few years ago.

***** MotoGP S P O I L E R    A L E R T ! ! ! *****

So is Rossi back? What got into him today? We were just discussing that maybe he's just gotten old and lost his edge, but what a performance today.

Big props to Lorenzo for his performance with the injury.

Honda has to be scratching their heads. Maybe it was the track, but they did not look great today.

Too bad Crutchlow couldn't pull off that one last pass, but he gave it his all.

One of the best MotoGP races in a while.
cds4288 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote cds4288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2013 at 8:50am
where do dealerships send their unsold new bikes. im looking to get a 08-11 CBR 1000 but i dont want a shit ton of miles on it.
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2013 at 1:27pm
Speaking of  rain... and colarbones, did you see what happened to Lorenzo in practice at Aragon?

And Marquez' crash and tumble was nastier, but he escaped serious injury.

Both are on MotoGPs YouTube channel if you haven't seen them.
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2013 at 11:21pm
Shoulder's mostly fixed... I reckon it will never 100% again. I'm back in the gym and there's this one exercise that if I do it puts me out of action for a week. I guess my back will just have to be a little weaker now! hahaha

I know what you mean about cloudbursts... Had one on the end of straight here once, young racer kido decided he could still make turn 1 (fastest corner on the track, 120-130mph if you're good) and well, he didn't. All I saw was the bike blasting past me and then demoliting itself in the gravel trap. Biggest part left was the engine block. Kid walked away without a scratch.
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2013 at 12:53pm

dking, slicks are fine for at least a lap unless it's raining consistently...
Ya, I know. I was more worried that there would be a cloudburst while I was on track, especially when I saw a guy run straight off the track in front of me. Turned out okay in the end.

How's the shoulder coming along?
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Quote adeodadus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2013 at 11:28am
Originally posted by BoxStomper

So Im moving to Orlando this winter and would love to ride a motorcycle to work/class or the hour to the beach and only use my car when I need to. Are there any "starter/first" bikes to be had for under $2000 or so??? I know how to ride a bike, ive been riding an older dirtbike at our cabin for years, but I dont want to big of a bike. Im hoping theres a good option in like, a supermoto, or a sport bike. Any good, reliable bikes to be had for not a steep price? PM me if you feel like you have some information to share, I appreciate any help in advance!

http://www.facebook.com/HondaGromForum

Not sure how it will do in high altitude _ but I'm sure it'll be fun

Fear is the Mind Killer
cds4288 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote cds4288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2013 at 2:52am
hey all, i need to know the absolute best/most legitmate online shops for all afteermarket parts. mainly bodykits and such. I always have CBRs and want to find a lot of parts for them. and i was just thinking about painting select parts instead of buying new parts if it is more cost effective.
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2013 at 10:24pm
dking, slicks are fine for at least a lap unless it's raining consistently. The first few drops won't even get the track wet (they're more likely to evaporate either on impact or when you ride over them) and the biggest issue with riding slicks on a wet track (other than aquaplaning obviously) is that they'll drop temp VERY fast. That's why you'll see riders still on slicks on a semi-wet track... they'll probably be running the tire a couple psi down on what they usually run and try and generate as much heat as they can on the dry parts so they don't lose too much on the wet bits. Tricky as though...
BoxStomper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2013 at 4:45pm
So Im moving to Orlando this winter and would love to ride a motorcycle to work/class or the hour to the beach and only use my car when I need to. Are there any "starter/first" bikes to be had for under $2000 or so??? I know how to ride a bike, ive been riding an older dirtbike at our cabin for years, but I dont want to big of a bike. Im hoping theres a good option in like, a supermoto, or a sport bike. Any good, reliable bikes to be had for not a steep price? PM me if you feel like you have some information to share, I appreciate any help in advance!
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2013 at 1:13pm
Anyone catch the AMA races at Barber? Pretty nice track and some awesome racing.

Weirdest weekend ever up at Thunderhill this past weekend. I think all of the "rain" talk from you guys was a jinx.

Saturday was somewhat normal, getting up to about 95' in the afternoon. But it was also slightly humid, which was not normal and made it feel hotter than it actually was. It was also windier that normal most of the day, but that just helped keep us cool for the most part.

Sunday's forecast showed a 30% chance of rain in the afternoon, but it rarely rains in those instances. Sunday morning it was very overcast. For my first session, the sun still hadn't broken through and it was barely 65'; I was a little concerned about my tires, but they were fine. By my second session, the sun was starting to break through. It was warming up but still very cloudy.

Right as I started my third session. I get a fluid droplet on my faceshield on the south end of the track (into T10). I was trailing a pack of 5-6 other bikes, so I thought it might have been from one of them. I could see it raining off in the distance, but nothing all that close to the track. Then at the end of the front straight (also on the south end) I get a few more droplets and I can tell it's rain.

For those that don't know or keep track, I run slicks at my trackdays. I had some DOT tires with me, but wasn't planning on riding in the rain. So I'm nervous and concerned about a downpour hitting the track while I'm out there charging into a corner.

Then the next time down the front straight, I see a yellow flag and a rider going off track at the end of the straight in front of me. I have no idea why, but I'm hoping it's not wet. Fortuntately, it was not. The rest of the session, there were a few more rain drops, but nothing too severe. I had backed off my pace a bit as a precaution and I never felt any slips or slides, but I was worried about it the whole time.

After that, the sky cleared up a bit and there were barely any rain drops the rest of the day. So in the end, NorCal lived up to it's reputation of not raining, but I wasn't sure for a bit.

Anyway, another good weekend at Thunderhill. First time out this year (since last October) and boy was I was rusty. But I managed to hold my line as many of the other A group riders buzzed by. Of course anyone I saw slower than me that I had to pass just didn't belong in that group... LOL.

Can't wait until next month to get back out there. Hope you all had as good (and dry) a weekend as I did.
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2013 at 12:58pm
I can't say I'm a Marquez fan just yet. I haven't seen or heard enough of him just yet. But so far so good.
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2013 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Shakazulu

I love watching Marquez ride, reminds me of Stoner without the annoying personality.

This!
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2013 at 4:51pm
Over or under 100 degree's at Thunderhill?  Yeah, I kinda hate you right now.

Rossi is simply slower, I don't think he ever fully recovered from his shoulder injury.  I was pretty excited when he was under the lap record and leading the pack during practice, then he got eaten alive in qualifying.  I've finally just accepted that he isn't as fast as he used to be.

I love watching Marquez ride, reminds me of Stoner without the annoying personality.  The moto 2 race was OFF THE HOOK!  I actually haven't watched near as much Moto GP this year as I have Moto 2 and Moto 3.  Hell, Moto GP is about dead last on my order of races I watch first.  BSB (all classes) has been awesome, WSBK, WSS, Moto 2, DSB, AMA SS, even AMA SBK is more fun to watch than GP to me right now.  
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2013 at 1:10pm

Watching the Catalunya race yesterday, I was thinking it's odd that we haven't had much pro racing discussion on this forum lately.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Rossi other than he's gotten a bit older. It's tough to compete with the hungry, young up-and-comers like Marquez. Pedrosa is still chasing a championship and Jorge seems to still be in his prime. But Rossi is still holding his own near the top of the standings.

I know I'm spoiled here in NorCal, but I don't like riding if there's even the threat of rain. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about it too much here. I'll be at the track (Thunderhill) for the first time since last season (October?). My biggest concern is if it will be over or under 100 degrees. It was over this past weekend, but the forecast for this coming weekend is looking pretty good so far; clear and in the mid-90s.

adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Quote adeodadus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2013 at 12:12pm
btw: is something wrong with rossi?  Is he hurt or something..  I realize that the Honda just seem to have better engine but- cmon.  I like pedrosa (hope he wins GP), not sure about MQz, but the Hammer(Lorenzo)? on the M1(?) bike running away.. 

Rossi's got to have better pace than this..  And good job CollinClap CRT_it is what it isBig smile
Fear is the Mind Killer
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2013 at 7:58am
educalifa is right, broken clipons and some rash.  Bike was ready to ride again a few hours later.  What you can't see in the video very well is that second place managed to run into the rider as he was on the ground.  Fortunately he was up and walking around shortly after, though was pretty sore.

Not saying I love rain over dry, I just don't mind it.  I know Pirrelli does make an intermediate tire, but I have never seen one actually stocked by any vendor in the states, but it is listed on their website.  I honestly think regular road based tires would probably be best in those conditions, and have considered buying a set to try it out, maybe some Q2's or something.
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2013 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

looks like his bike is a goner.  

No tumbles and all on the left side... bike should be fine other than clipons/rearset/engine covers/etc

Shaka, I've done more days than I would have liked in the rain to be honest, including last weekend... not a fan! I'm not bad at it, in fact, when compared to other riders I'm better than I am in the dry. Still don't enjoy it as much. Conditions like the ones on the video are not rare here and we'd still race as well, just not if there were puddles like the one on the first picture.

And the worst part is that we get a LOT of mixed days... I destroyed a brand new set of rains in 2 sessions for that same reason. I've even considered getting some cut slicks as they would pretty much guarantee a top5 in those conditions seeing as most riders will either race DOT tires or proper rain tires. Even intermediates would only help you so much. But then I'm not racing that often anymore and probably won't till next year with the only exception being an endurance race in August that I had previously committed to. It's a 3 rider team so I'm gonna stick with slicks/rains as I know my teammates have inters and we can just have them go out if those are the conditions...
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2013 at 11:30am
Riding on a wet track sounds pretty dangerous, looks like his bike is a goner.  Amazing the rider was all okay. 
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2013 at 8:55am
Here is a video from someone at the May round on his Zx-10r from the open supersport race.  Uh..........it didn't end well for him actually, but gives you an idea of the racing that some of us endure just to get tracktime!  His motor is over 190hp at the tire

educalifa, you would be amazed how hard you can brake.  We use the same brake markers, if not even a little further forward since the top speed is down.  It's mid corner and exit that is the problem.  

I've posted it in the thread somewhere before, but there is a pic of me riding an ex-AMA Superbike on slicks with no traction control in the wet, though not as wet as those conditions were obviously.  Obviously if given the choice I want perfect sunshine.  That said, I prefer either sunny and dry or wet as hell.  The WORST is when the track conditions are mixed.  There really isn't a tire designed to deal with that for racing applications.  You either melt your rains and have to be very careful because everyone who is on them dives for every puddle they can find to keep them cool.  Or you run regular tires and have to stick on a dry line that is only a couple inches wide.  You step off a tiny bit and down you go.  
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2013 at 12:19pm
Good luck recording a wet race! I've tried it... camera on top of the triples so it wouldn't get all the spray and etc. But then the radiator fogs things up pretty quickly when you hit the brakes! There's got to be a better way... maybe just stick the camera up front and high, dunno.
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Quote adeodadus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2013 at 12:05pm
Great_ its settled then _ shaka will bike cam his next rain race Clap unless you already have vids you care to share...

I guess there is a fine line between being FASTEST(2011 ver) and a High/Low side...(btw you guys are nuttsss)
Fear is the Mind Killer
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2013 at 7:09am
I don't man... ahhahaha I'd have to watch it to understand I think. The way it looks from the pics, there's no way you can carry any decent speed or even use the brakes hard 'cause no rain tire in the world can move that much water. Like I said, I haven't seen the layout of the track but the pic does give out the impression that you'd save A LOT of time by riding around that puddle.

I'd be keen to give it a go though! Wet riding is one of two favorite wet things to do... hahaha
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2013 at 6:19pm
Nope, real races.  Ran like that all day.  We don't close the tracks for anything up here in the NW except for lightning.  Grids are usually slightly smaller though on wet weekends. 

Honestly, I LOVE riding in weather like that.  The bike moves all over the place, but it really teaches you to be smooth.  You can still brake just as hard as normal with wet tires, the back end is up in the air coming into the faster ones.  You actually have to trailbrake a ton in the wet, it forces the tread into the surface and evacuates the water better.  If you come in with no weight on the front tire, down you go.  Other strange thing is you want to run as high of revs as possible on corner exit, like screaming in first gear if you have to.  If you are past the torque peak, when the tire lights up it's way easier to manage.  If you come out of it at low revs and the tire lights up, it actually spins harder and is tougher to control.

And FYI, even with my Bazzaz traction control dialed all the way up, it still steps out of line everywhere.  It makes it easier to manage the throttle, but it's still going to get sideways.
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Quote adeodadus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2013 at 11:34am
Shocked these are just "the guys" opening the track for their buddies - right?  This can't be a real sanctioned race that counts?  Snorkel exhausts?
Fear is the Mind Killer
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2013 at 8:26am
Better angle to go up the blind hill that immediately follows that section.  

Another pic for fun.

educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2013 at 10:45pm
He could have at least gone around the outside!!!! hahaha I can't possibly be faster going through that much water...
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2013 at 6:48pm
By the way, we are crazy in the Northwest when it comes to motorcycle racing.  This photo is actually from a race last round with WMRRA.  Not trackday, not practice, but a full on race.

Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2013 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by adeodadus

"April round of OMRRA"
Congrats Shaka _ How many in your heats? 

Race 1 vids - Did you just out break guy in black and accelerated by guy in white both of which are 1000cc?

What kind of compound do you run in these cloud/potential rain races?

Yeah, they both weren't very good on corner exit, so it made it look like I had a lot more power than my bike does.  It dyno's at 134 hp on pump gas, which is all I usually run.  Though I do have another map set up for VP 4.4 that makes a few hp more.  There were 12 or 13 people in that race if I remember right.  It was the first round of the season.  It should also be noted that was a Novice class race.  Now that I have an expert license, the pace is waaaaay quicker and I can't keep up with the leaders......yet.  I'm dropping a second or two off my laptimes each weekend now.

I'm actually running a set of Dunlop AMA Spec tires from 2010 in that video, medium front, medium rear.  They are total crap for tires, but I didn't feel like paying for a new set.  They did cold tear quite a bit in the morning practices, but I played around with the pressures and got them to wear nicely after that.  Ran them again for the next round and then yet again at a trackday Monday, though by now they are slipping and sliding all over the place and I'll replace them with either a new set of the US Spec slicks or possibly switch to the new Pirelli V2's since my suspension guy is now a Pirelli dealer.  I still get the tire reps shaking their heads every time they see me out running those old ones.  I got a couple free sets of them when I got the bike and I've just been burning through them.  
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Quote adeodadus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2013 at 12:05pm

[QUOTE=dking]educalifa, heal up soon.
/QUOTE]

Thanks bud! Unfortunately, shoulder decided it doesn't agree with you!

That is crappy luck to break a collarbone on a 15mph HS Shocked - I mean you would have to hit that body part a special way to break because I'm sure you've had faster crashes..

So 6 months out _ how the healing? 

Fear is the Mind Killer
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Quote adeodadus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2013 at 12:01pm
"April round of OMRRA"
Congrats Shaka _ How many in your heats? 

Race 1 vids - Did you just out break guy in black and accelerated by guy in white both of which are 1000cc?

What kind of compound do you run in these cloud/potential rain races?
Fear is the Mind Killer
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2013 at 4:14pm
[QUOTE=dking]educalifa, heal up soon.
/QUOTE]

Thanks bud! Unfortunately, shoulder decided it doesn't agree with you!
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2013 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Shakazulu

And yup, I really wore a bra and Hello Kitty booty shorts
Shaka, I'd expect nothing less. Helps to be winning.

educalifa, heal up soon.

I don't get back out to the track for a few more weeks. Hopefully I'm not too rusty.

educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2013 at 1:54am
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

I don't get it, so why did you crash?

Ever heard of the expression 'Brain fart'? That's why!
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2013 at 1:30am
Man, I used to ride (until an accident totaled my bike, and I just never got a new one). I was an alert rider. Bikers ask the car goers to "Look twice, save a life". I gotta say don't be an ass like a few of the riders I've seen lately. No signal, weaving in and out of traffic. Be aware and let other people know what you're doing. Some of these guys I've seen lately must have a death wish.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 48>