0 Staff | 6 Members
Live Chat
trusnow
Powered by 407,607 Members
Shopping Forum Out of Stock
username or email password
 Forum Home > SNOWBOARDS > The Board Room

Quick Login: Forgot password?

Two wheels discussion thread! (Motorcycles only!)

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 4344454647 48>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two wheels discussion thread! (Motorcycles only!)
    Posted: Jul/29/2012 at 7:32am
Originally posted by dking

Originally posted by Shakazulu

Yeah,I can't wait to take his Boot Camp.  I saw on his twitter feed that a bunch of Moto GP guys are going to be hanging out at the next one.

You're going to Colin's boot camp? That's going to be sweet. I didn't even know he had one. What are the details on that?

Basically all the training they give at the Yamaha Champion's school, except on dirt instead of asphault.  Then mix in a bunch of alcohol, BBQ and guns!  Does it really get any better than that?

Buddy of mine is also going to hit up Rich Oliver's Mystery School this winter as well
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2012 at 7:33am
Reports are Spies signing with BMW WSBK for next year, report I saw was 99% done per the team.
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2012 at 6:04pm
He just can't catch a break in MotoGP lately... his crash today was the weirdest I've seen a while from a pro.

I wish him good luck on WSBK, he's definitely a brilliant rider. Just needs to find his mojo once again.

I'm hoping he at least goes to BMW. That way, he still has a shot at coming back to MotoGP next year on a factory ride.
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2012 at 11:31pm
Spies on the BMW WSBK would be interesting. We'll see... he's still not confirming anything.

I agree his crash was weird... maybe because of his injury. He was having a pretty lonely race anyway.

And boy, Rossi can't be happy either. Silly season is in full swing.

No Sig... I'm just not that witty or creative
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2012 at 1:44am
Apparently there are reports his crash was caused by a swing arm failure. It makes more sense now at least...

Ducati is said to have offered Rossi 17mi Euros to stay but he is still considering the option of going back to Yamaha.
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2012 at 1:04pm
17M Euros and he's still considering going elsewhere? That says alot about his impression of the Ducati (bike and team).
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2012 at 1:22pm
I don't think its Ducati paying the 17 million is the thing.  Most of his salary now is paid by Marlboro.  He can probably get similar dollars overall wherever he goes, even when he isn't winning, that guy is a marketing machine.

educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2012 at 8:34pm
The first link is to a magazine, some interest stuff there... make sure to flick through the pages!

http://mag.gpweek.com/#folio=10

The second is even more silly season. hahaha

http://www.twowheelsblog.com/post/13237/valentino-rossi-talks-about-ducati-offer#continua
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2012 at 9:59am
Rossi does have a pretty valid point when you think about it.  I mean, he turned the Yamaha completely around in a season.
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2012 at 8:56pm

Rossi does have a pretty valid point when you think about it.  I mean, he turned the Yamaha completely around in a season.

Hmmmm That's controversial to say the least... The bike was reported to be the best handling bike out there after the previous years' rider spent loads of times (not to mention the crash gallore!!) developing the bike and fighting Yamaha since not one rider thought the fuel injection worked for the bike cause power delivery to be pretty wild. But Yamaha was introducing fuel injection to its road bikes so marketing demanded they soldier on...

There are even reports of the riders testing the bike with a carbureted engine and being almost a sec a lap faster. By the end of the season the biggest issues had been ironed out and Rossi is said to have stepped in at exactly the right time.

All in all, good on him nonetheless for having the right ppl around him!
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2012 at 11:53am
Oh, I always heard it being that he got there when the Japanese guy did and they formed a huge bond etc...........Probably just regurgitating what I saw on the movie Fastest though.

Anyhow, here is today's hot rumor.

educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2012 at 3:41pm
That rumour makes sense to me... I reckon Rossi would see good value on that deal. He has a chance of winning at least one more championship at MotoGP and then more than that at WSBK.

He's a greedy little Italian... all those throphies would definitely get him thinking! hahaha
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2012 at 5:23pm
He definitely wants Agostini's win record.  Just think, two years with no wins, he could have been really close by now.
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2012 at 6:06pm
Yep... even if he had been Yamaha's #2 rider he would have at least clinched a handful of wins.
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2012 at 12:59pm
If all he wants is wins, why'd he bother gong to Ducati? Of course, that's prolly a question he's asking himself.
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2012 at 11:45pm
He thought he could win there... Unfortunately it seems Ducati's engineers will do what they want and not what Rossi/Burgees want. I suppose he had enough of that.

He's reported to have already signed with Yamaha and there might even be a clause that says he doesn't have to play team orders and can go for a win. Not unlikely... his sponsors (mainly Phillip Morris) are the reason he'll be back at Yamaha. They haven't had any decent sponsors since he left and they all know that.
GeckosGoMoo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote GeckosGoMoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2012 at 12:54pm
Bought a bike today! 2005 R6 with 5.1k miles.

I'm a dance floor tiger lady bumping everything she has, touching every single lad, rubbing every lady bad.
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2012 at 11:37pm
Sweet bike! Very low mileage as well... get the suspension set up properly and she'll see you right.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote GeckosGoMoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2012 at 8:36am
Yeah, I'm working on that now, using this article http://www.gostar-racing.com/information/motorcycle_suspension_set-up.htm as guidance. I don't have a center/engine stand, but as far as setting my preload, how much should my bike sag when I sit down on it? I only weight between 120-130, and I know right now my bike hardly sags at all when I'm in position. Eventually I'll set my rider sag and static sag properly, taking measurements of an unweighted bike, bike standing alone, and with me in position on the bike, but right now I just want to make a quick adjustment with my preloads. They're set to factory setting right now, and I'm just guessing that factory settings were made for the average man of 180 pounds?

After setting my preload, is having an inch worth of sag (from the bike standing alone to me sitting in riding position) too much? As I said, my bike barely sags at all when I sit on it, and I'm only 5'6'' (5'7'' with boots), so I'm barely on the balls of my feet when I sit and was hoping softening up the preload for my weight would help a bit.
I'm a dance floor tiger lady bumping everything she has, touching every single lad, rubbing every lady bad.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2012 at 8:54am
Factory bikes are usually undersprung and set up for a typical japanese guy who is around 145 pounds, so you aren't that far off.

As far as static sag, it varies and I would check an R6 forum and ask.  We usually aim for 30-35 up front and around 25mm on the rear with GP supension 25mm cartridge kits and a Penske triple clicker rear shock, but a lot of suspension guys will have various ideal measurements depending on their own personal results/equipment.

I FINALLY got back on the track, not even on my own bike, a borrowed one.  Lost a bet involving some laptimes and ended up doing some sessions with some Hello Kitty booty shorts on.  Then couldn't race due to a technical matter, there was a rule change this year I didn't keep track of that requires case covers on all inlines now.  Only had one on the stator side.

educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2012 at 4:07pm
Well, at least it's a ZX6R! not the year model I'd pick though.. hahahaha

Here you have to have covers as well... also needs to be properly lockwired (oil filter, sump plug, calipers, etc), only water on the radiator (no coolant) belly pan with plugs and some breathing hose business I still haven't done but no one has checked anyway! hahaha
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2012 at 4:30pm
Yeah, it was already safety wired and teched for last years rules.  I totally spaced the case cover until it was too late.  Oh well.

Starting up spin classes in addition to my normal workout routine, my legs were KILLING me after just 10 laps.
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2012 at 8:45pm
nice shorts... lol. glad u were back on the track... not as glad as you, I'm sure.
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2012 at 3:51am
I need to hit the gym as well... I've been suffering on the last few laps of each session. We usually only get 6-7 laps per session and the track has 18 corners, multiply that by 6 sessions and you have me aching for nearly a week. Pretty pathetic really... but not as bad as I was after my first week back at the snow this year. I thought I was going to have to see a Dr... no joke! hahaha
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2012 at 8:43am
Snowboarding has me worried too.  My strength is coming back big time with working out, but I have no endurance.  Playing basketball isn't the same as I can jog between plays, but hustling the bike around the track, particularly considering portland is 9 rights and only 2 lefts, and I was absolutely dead after 8-10 laps each session and had to pull off with 10 minutes to go each time.  It was also making it really hard to keep my weight off the bars, didn't realize how much I grip the tank on the brakes.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote GeckosGoMoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2012 at 8:55am
Could you guys suggest some material for improving my riding skills? Whether it be internet links, or books, or even movies? Things that you used to get better perhaps. Thanks!
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2012 at 10:53am
My personal favorite is Nick Ienatsch's book, "Sport Riding Techniques" basically everything we went over at the Yamaha Champions school, but in book format.  
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2012 at 1:57pm
Speaking of working out, what exercises do you guys do to specifically target muscles you'll used when riding on the track? Do you focus on particular muscle groups, more/less cardio, or just do general workouts to get your fitness up?

After a day or two at the track, my forearms are usually noticeably sore, as are my inner thigh flexor muscles (no idea what they're called, but I think what you use to grip the tank). And sometimes I'll get leg cramps by the end of the day, usually from trying to keep my legs folded up all day.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2012 at 2:21pm
Cycling is the hot workout for race guys.  Look how many of them are on cycling teams now in the off season.  Pretty much works every muscle that you need for hustling a bike around the track.  I has no bike and no patience so I'm going the spin class option.

Otherwise, my workout is basically Crossfit style, lots of endurance and functional strength.
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 3:52am
Also, if your forearms are sore, you might wanna go over your body position... in theory there should be no heavy loads there at any given time. You're either tensing up BAD or not gripping the tank with your legs (putting weight on your wrists). My money would be on death grip though...

I play basketball every now and then as well but to be honest I don't think it helps much with riding other than it is a good cardio if you're playing hard fought games.

Like Shaka said, riding a bicycle helps a lot... not only for overall fitness and cardio but also with developing core muscles used to balance the bike. I do a bit of BMX every now and then and it hurts almost the same way as track riding does.
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 1:41pm
I mountain bike a good amount, but cycling doesn't really get to the sideways muscles that I use to grip the tank or when hanging on/off. Spin classes even less since the bike is so stable.

Forearms aren't really a problem riding, but they're noticeably sore after. I don't think it's arm pump and I feel pretty "loose" on the bike. I know I need to work on holding myself up more with my core and lower body, but I'm a big guy so it's kind of a losing battle.

I won't even mention my neck and back since they don't seem to affect my riding, but are also pretty sore/tight afterwards.

My last trackdays (two in a row on a weekend), there was a low turnout so the organizer switched from three groups (20min sessions) to two groups (30min sessions). I don't have to tell you that I only rode a full session once or twice and I skipped the last session both days. It did not help that it was the first time I'd been out on 100+ degree days in a year or more (last season was great; nice and mild).
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 2:44pm
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 2:46pm
Dking, work some more weights into it then and possibly some more cardio.  We frequently get 30 minute sessions on trackdays around here, or at least when I was running them all the time.  I almost always pulled off at around minute 25 though as well.
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2012 at 4:03am
Here they vary between 15-20min... I was usually ok with that but then they got 6 more turns into the circuit and they're slow corners, changing direction all the time... the new section kills me now. I've been skipping the last lap just about every session.

Dking, if you're getting pain on your neck and etc I'm even more inclined to think it has something to do with you tensing up on the bike. There's no reason why those muscles should hurt... I mean, even here where the straight is pretty dam long and the winds can get hectic from time to time, the winds still don't bash you enough to cause neck pain.

Every time I got a neck pain after hitting the track it was because... erm... I'd hit the track! hahaha
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2012 at 1:44pm
I get neck pain from holding my head up looking forward. It happens on the bicycle too... especially on long downhilling days and the full face helmet. Maybe I just have a big head.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote GeckosGoMoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2012 at 8:55pm
I had a sore neck when I had to ride my bike home after purchasing it (some 90 miles, 20 of it through a twisty canyon). Though I think that's just 'cause I've never been ducked-over with my head up for such a long time. I may have been a little tense, but I made a conscience effort not to be.
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2012 at 2:33pm
I think you guys need to spend less time in front of the computer! hahahaha J/K... as if I could say that to anyone!
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2012 at 12:48pm
I'm all for more time at the track... just need to convince my boss... and my bank account.
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2012 at 9:47pm
Sonoma (ex-Sear Point... ex-Infineon) was good today... just a bit warm (~90F). We ran the modified (for Indycar) T9 chicane, which is more open on the exit. Layout was okay, but I don't like pavement transitions... and the inner 2' is concrete Thumbs Down.

The instructors ran the proposed further T11, but I think the current short one is okay for MCs; I think the cars want a longer run down and back to help passing.

And you'll be glad to know I didn't have much neck pain, even though it's much tighter and more technical than T-hill, where I usually go. My lower back did tighten up at end of the day after my last session and my knees were sore, but that's just old age setting in. All in all a good time.

But something odd happened... So there were a few crashes (more early than later), as usual, but I don't think the ambulance had to roll the whole day. Then as we were packing up to leave, with the pits more than half empty, we hear a faint cry for help. We eventually look up and figure out it's coming from an upper access road which runs well above the pit area; like 100' away and about that high above us. Initially we weren't sure if the guy was serious or goofing... turns out he was serious. He had ridden a GoPed (powered scooter) up there, I assume to get to the grandstands or some other viewing location. He was apparently on his way back, downhill on the gravel road... and ate it... bashing his head into a concrete retaining wall. So they roll the ambo up there... lots of attention. I didn't go up to see firsthand since I wanted to finish packing and get out of there. A bit later, I hear a helo coming in for a landing... yes, the LifeFlight helicopter. I guess he was bad enough that he needed to get airlifted to the hospital. Now I don't want to make light of someone getting hurt, but we go the whole day without needing the ambulance on track and some yahoo on a scooter with no helmet or other gear needs to get airlifted? That's funny to me.

Oh well, if you read all of that, I hope you get something out of it. Be safe out there.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2012 at 1:34pm
Damn, that absolutely sucks when they have to roll the ambulance.  We had a hot one yesterday (mid 90's) and they only had to go out once.  Otherwise everyone walked away from the mishaps (think we had 4 total).

Nice getting back into the swing of things, but I feel absolutely rusty as hell still.

Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2012 at 10:42am
Damn, the Indy GP weekend has turned into total carnage.  I had always heard the track surface sucked, but didn't realize it was this bad.
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2012 at 1:03pm

Damn, the Indy GP weekend has turned into total carnage.  I had always heard the track surface sucked, but didn't realize it was this bad.
I agree... mostly in qualifying though. Stoners high side was brutal. And despite the fact that it didn't look as bad, Nicky ending up unconscious was hard to watch. During the races, Moto 2&3 were a bit crazy.

But I didn't realize the surface lacked grip that badly either. I just remember the tires troubles they (and F1) had a few years back... I thought that was caused by the surface being too grippy. Weird indeed.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2012 at 3:23pm
Think I read somewhere that Indy actually has three very different types of surface and it was wreaking havoc for everybody when it came to TC settings etc.  No idea if thats true or not.

I'll be at Thunderhill on September 3rd and 4th, pretty stoked to finally get down there and ride!
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2012 at 1:15pm
Damn... I won't be able to be there 9/3-4. You'll have fun, but be prepared for it to be hot. It's been averaging above 90 up there and was over 100 the last time I was up there. Long range forecast on those dates is low 90s, so you might be in luck. At least you won't have to worry about rain.

The Indy track is a bit of a hodgepodge and I'm not surprised there are different surface types. You'd think someone would've thought of that when they laid out the infield.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote GeckosGoMoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2012 at 1:55pm
Adjusted my idle today! It was sitting around 900, and sometimes when I pull my clutch in and downshift multiple gear as I come to a stop, my engine would just turn itself off. I looked it up online and other people with the similar problem said that it's because their idle dipped below zero, so they just turned their idle up and it fixed the problem. Others suggested that perhaps the battery is going bad. Anyway, apparently the idle should be between 1250-1450, and I've got it in that range now, so hopefully that'll fix my problem. I don't really want to buy a new battery, I don't really see how that could be much of a problem considering my bike starts up every time, instantly.
dvdngu View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote dvdngu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2012 at 2:00pm
any recommendations on a beginner bike?? I just completed my permit test and just registered for the chp class to get my license. I was thinking of the ninja 250! any others i should look at?
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote GeckosGoMoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2012 at 2:09pm
Honda makes a 250 now.

Suzuki SV650 is another to look at.
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2012 at 7:39pm
Any of the 250s and +1 on the SV650. Whatever you get, look for a used one and don't shy away from one that's not the prettiest... first bikes rarely stay that way. Buy something, use it for 6-18 months, then pass it on to the next noob and upgrade.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2012 at 10:20am
Is there power outside of the garages?  I'm debating on renting one for the weekend or just bringing a generator.  Looks like they are 250 for the weekend.
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2012 at 1:01pm

Is there power outside of the garages?  I'm debating on renting one for the weekend or just bringing a generator.  Looks like they are 250 for the weekend.
At Thunderhill? There are power drops scattered throughout the paddock area, although not under the roof structures. There's power near one end of the older (further in) roof structure, but those spots are usually gone first because of that. $250 seems like alot if you already have a generator to use. Plus the only garages I can think of are further from the track entry/exit, if you care about that.

When we take the toy hauler trailer, we park it next to a power drop near the older roof structure under a tree. Even without the trailer, I try to get that spot if I can't get under the roof structure. I have an EZ-UP, so between that and the tree I have shade most of the day.

Also if you have a long enough extension cord (100'), you can get power to just about anywhere in the paddock. Everyone has different preferences (thankfully), but I try to be near the track entry. There's plenty of space and the only place it gets tight is under the roof structures.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 48>