1 Staff | 16 Members
Live Chat
trusnow
Powered by 386,616 Members
Shopping Forum Out of Stock
username or email password
 Forum Home > SNOWBOARDS > The Board Room

Quick Login: Forgot password?

Two wheels discussion thread! (Motorcycles only!)

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 4445464748>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two wheels discussion thread! (Motorcycles only!)
    Posted: Aug/22/2012 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by dking

Originally posted by Shakazulu

Is there power outside of the garages?  I'm debating on renting one for the weekend or just bringing a generator.  Looks like they are 250 for the weekend.
At Thunderhill? There are power drops scattered throughout the paddock area, although not under the roof structures. There's power near one end of the older (further in) roof structure, but those spots are usually gone first because of that. $250 seems like alot if you already have a generator to use. Plus the only garages I can think of are further from the track entry/exit, if you care about that.

When we take the toy hauler trailer, we park it next to a power drop near the older roof structure under a tree. Even without the trailer, I try to get that spot if I can't get under the roof structure. I have an EZ-UP, so between that and the tree I have shade most of the day.

Also if you have a long enough extension cord (100'), you can get power to just about anywhere in the paddock. Everyone has different preferences (thankfully), but I try to be near the track entry. There's plenty of space and the only place it gets tight is under the roof structures.

Sounds good.  I'll just bring the generator then.  I have a 20x10 EX up and another 10x10 that I can bring along as well just in case, so I think we'll have enough shade no matter where we end up pitting.  Just towing the bikes down in a borrowed enclosed trailer behind my dually.  Will probably just get a hotel for the nights instead of camping at the track.  Around here its usually ok to lock your trailer up and leave it parked without it getting broken into.  I figure I'll make good with someone who is camping there in the pit and ask them to watch over stuff between the first and second day.
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2012 at 1:19pm

Sounds good.  I'll just bring the generator then.  I have a 20x10 EX up and another 10x10 that I can bring along as well just in case, so I think we'll have enough shade no matter where we end up pitting.  Just towing the bikes down in a borrowed enclosed trailer behind my dually.  Will probably just get a hotel for the nights instead of camping at the track.  Around here its usually ok to lock your trailer up and leave it parked without it getting broken into.  I figure I'll make good with someone who is camping there in the pit and ask them to watch over stuff between the first and second day.
I normally recommend the Baymont Hotel, but they did just have a rate increase. Mention that you're going to the track and you'll get a small discount. They also have a small breakfast included. The Motel 6 is well... Motel 6. It's okay, but he walls are paper thin and the parking area is pretty small. I think I heard that the Holiday Inn Express just remodeled and is nice. I'd avoid the Travelodge.

I've never had or heard of any problems with theivery either in town or in the paddock. But if you're there early enough, might as well leave the trailer in the paddock.

The mexican restaurant in town is good, as is the Black Bear diner. I haven't tried the Chinese place. The rest is mostly fast food.

There's a Wal-Mart right off the exit in case you need anything, but there's no full supermarket for miles around, so bring most of what you need.
No Sig... I'm just not that witty or creative
GeckosGoMoo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote GeckosGoMoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2012 at 10:30pm
Went through sprinkler runoff on my way home today and had my rear tire slide/fishtale to one side on me when I hit the throttle without thinking about it. Scariest moment so far, got my adrenaline rush for today.
I'm a dance floor tiger lady bumping everything she has, touching every single lad, rubbing every lady bad.
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2012 at 1:05pm

I'll be at Thunderhill on September 3rd and 4th, pretty stoked to finally get down there and ride!
So how'd you like T-hill Shaka? Pretty big and fast track. I was on my way back from mt biking in Whistler over the weekend, saw a van pulling a flat trailer from Oregon with four trackbikes on it and thought of you. Were you able to figure out the track okay? Break 2:00?
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2012 at 6:49am
That track is ridiculously awesome!  Borderline worthy of me moving to Sacramento for.  I liked it that much.  I did run off the dirt on the inside of 9 a couple times before I finally got it through my head that there was no track there, 5 definitely threw me a few times as well.  Such a perfect mix of elevation changes, speed, and flow!

Can't put into words how much I liked that track.  I don't think I came anywhere near 2:00, I only ran the lap timer for four laps and was stuck in traffic a bunch turning 2:20's and not really ever breaking 10,000 RPM's.  I can't wait to go back and hit that track again!

Random pit pic, I didn't take many unfortunately.

dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2012 at 1:33pm
I agree with you 100%. I am so glad that track is near me (or that I'm near the track). I like it so much better than Infineon and Laguna; my riding a 1k does skew my opinion tho.

Were you running off the inside right exiting 9? I can imagine running off to the left on entry. I've seen lots of people panic and go straight off on entry and all kinds of crazy lines on exit. Did anyone mention the trick to exiting 9? There's a silver water tank off in the distance that you can see cresting the hill before the rest of the track comes into view. Just aim for that once you see it.

And what about 5 was giving you trouble? Other than the blind hill crest, off camber entry and crazy downhill exit... LOL.

Thunderhill is the funnest track I've ever been on for sure. So much room to play with your lines and not really get penalized too much. You should've been there two years ago when they first repaved it... lap record dropped almost 8 seconds. It's still pretty good, but getting bumpy again, especially in 3. But then again, I realize I'm probably spoiled.

I'll be back out there the last weekend this month and then again two weeks later, the second weekend of October, both times with Keigwins. Maybe you can make it down one of those times. Unfortunately, that will probably be it for this year. Ahhhh... I miss the track.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2012 at 4:56pm
On 9, it was because I was trying to straightline it from the exit straight to the entrance of 10, so I was cutting waaaaaay right, instead of coming through it mid track and aiming for the water tower like EVERYONE told me to.  

And yeah, 5 is just nuts, but tons of fun.  I really like 6,7, and 8.  It took until the second day before I had the balls to hit it flat out without lifting, but it was sooooooooooooooo worth it.

dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2012 at 1:49pm

On 9, it was because I was trying to straightline it from the exit straight to the entrance of 10, so I was cutting waaaaaay right, instead of coming through it mid track and aiming for the water tower like EVERYONE told me to.  

And yeah, 5 is just nuts, but tons of fun.  I really like 6,7, and 8.  It took until the second day before I had the balls to hit it flat out without lifting, but it was sooooooooooooooo worth it.
Yeah, I don't think there is quite a straight line from the exit of 9 to the entrance to 10. I've seen quite a few riders off the track there, on both sides. It's alway tricky when there's a blind crest. You just gotta get back there and practice more Big smile Such a fun track.
markyjas View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote markyjas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2012 at 1:55pm
Just came across this video today and thought it'd be worth sharing.  The slow-mo shots are really cool.

Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2012 at 10:51am

Yeah, I don't think there is quite a straight line from the exit of 9 to the entrance to 10. I've seen quite a few riders off the track there, on both sides. It's alway tricky when there's a blind crest. You just gotta get back there and practice more Big smile Such a fun track.

I'm hoping to go back either on the 13th and 14th or the 26th and 27th (I think, can't remember the exact dates).

Just got back from the Ridge in Shelton Washington and its similar in nature to Thunderhill, lots of blind crests and corners with elevation changes.  TONS of fun.  Resting up for PIR on Friday, then 2 sprint races and an endurance race this weekend with OMRRA
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2012 at 1:00pm

Resting up for PIR on Friday, then 2 sprint races and an endurance race this weekend with OMRRA

So you are getting some racing in this year. Sweet!! Good luck out there.

And be sure to let me know if you are going to make it down to T-hill on 9/29-30 or 10/13-14.

Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2012 at 5:38pm
Yeah, I'm entered finally.  Can't wait to grid up and tear some stuff out there!  Each session I feel like I'm getting my skills back a bit more.  So hopefully the extra rush from racing will bring them back a little quicker.  The endurance race is funny since they do a Le Mans start and we have to sprint across the track to our bike.

The tentative schedule is to leave the track sunday night from racing, and head north to take part in a 2 day Pridmore STARR school.  

Thunderhill is going to happen in October for sure, trying to make it work in such a way that I end up taking a Rich Olliver camp while I'm down there.
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2012 at 12:56pm
What was on Melandri's mind this past weekend? Can't even trust him to stay out of his own way.

Congrats to Chaz Daives!!
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2012 at 2:22am
Got a trackday in yesterday to prepare for today's races.  Getting in better shape and getting used to my new 750.  Took my laptimes from the 20's back into the 14's.  Need to change gearing this morning and work on a few other things and I'm hoping to break into the 12's this weekend which should put me at the pointy end of the novice grid for the races.  Here's to hoping I can pull of the double win!
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2012 at 6:17pm
How'd I miss that (just looking back at ur pics)? When did you get a GSX-R750? What year?
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2012 at 7:47pm
Picked up a 2007 GSXR 750 at Thunderhill.  GP front, Penkse triple rear, bunch of attack stuff.  Had EDR take out the PCIII and remapped it with a Bazzaz QS/TC unit.  When I'm not so exhausted I can give you a TON more insight into the traction control function.

Race 1 in the books.  I don't want to say I'm upset with myself, more disappointed.  Just got there late, had to do a sprocket change, literally got 4 laps in the first practice, then 4 more in the second practice.  Then sat for three hours and gridded up.  Finished 4th, turning lap times 2 seconds slower than I was yesterday.  Most of it was mental, big chunk was physical.  I was having so much fun turning laps during the trackday that I could barely walk up the steps this morning and by lap 4 of the race I was exhausted already, with 8 more laps to go.  What really got to me is that I had 2nd place lined up for several laps, he was on a GSXR1000 and I simply faded away from fatigue.  Then I checked up a bit for safety and let another guy by.  Still decided not to go into the red mist, but then noticed I was reeling in the pack again.  Which then caused me to go overboard and run wide on turn 1 and 4 three laps in a row.  Oddest thing was those were still my fastest laps.  Ended up skpping the endurance race.  I have another race tomorrow and I plan on setting a personal lap record in the process.

dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2012 at 8:21pm
Overdoing it in practice will get you every time. Back to back days is tough.

You bought the 750 at T-hill? Had you prearranged that or just saw a for sale sign in the paddock? There's always bike for sale at the trackdays I go to, but I've never seriously considered buying one... too busy focused on riding I guess.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2012 at 7:01am
Picking the bike up was pre-arranged.  Most of the reason I went to Thunderhill in the first place.  The seller had a good relationship with my local shop, so I wasn't concerned about condition or anything, he was is actually from Canada oddly enough, but drives down to Thill a ton.

Small recap on my second race.  I was determined to come in 2nd place in this one, I felt like I could take the guy on the GSXR1000 and the one on the CBR1000 who both finished ahead of me in the previous race.  Got a decent launch and settled into third place, chasing the two leaders (supersport spec GSXR 750 and the aformentioned GSXR 1000).  Fatigue didn't set in until about lap 7 or 8, but unfortunately a bent shift fork was preventing me from getting into the gears I needed, and frequently keeping me locked in 5th when I needed 2nd or 3rd.  Obviously that killed my drive in a lot of places and caused some funky lines as I stood the bike up to get more leverage under the lever and jerk up harder on it to shift.  Despite this, I was determined to finish better and I did hold on to third, even going a half second quicker than I did during the first race!

Cases have to come apart to fix the trannie, so it looks like I'll supersport prep the motor here shortly.  Havent decided if I'm going to run it like this for next round yet or not.

Immediately after finishing up the race weekend, we jumped in the truck and headed north, back to the Ridge Motorsports park for a two day session at the Pridmore Star school.  Man how i wish I ran that before the race weekend!  Had so much fun, too tired still to really recap everything, but the biggest thing I took out of the class was feeling the bike better.  I can trailbrake so much harder and start feeding in the throttle just enough to get some rear end slip in a few corners, and do it repeatedly.  Plus downshift so much faster and later into the corner (when the damn thing will downshift anyway).  Well worth the money!

Going back to sleep now for a few hours, I literally have spent five days on a motorcycle straight and driven over 3,000 miles the past few weeks chasing trackdays.  I'm so beat its not even funny.
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2012 at 1:01pm
Sounds like good times. I can't wait to get back to T-hill in a couple of weekends.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 5:58am
Yeah, I'm working on an October Thunderhill trip.  I was all set for the 29th and 30th of this month, but the tranny issue is going to keep me local until I get it fixed.
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 12:50pm

Yeah, I'm working on an October Thunderhill trip.  I was all set for the 29th and 30th of this month, but the tranny issue is going to keep me local until I get it fixed.
Bummer. Get that thing fixed!!

BTW, did you know about the tranny issue before you bought?
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 2:23pm
No, I rode it for two days at Thunderhill and another day at PIR and didn't see any problems.  They didn't pop up until race weekend.  Spoke with the shop today and they want to check some simple fixes first though.  Might even be able to fix it for minimal costs.  Running a trackday on Monday at PIR so I'll have a better idea by then.  It might be something as simple as the rearsets not aligned properly or the little thing on the end of the lever being worn out.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 7:55am
I think I got it figured out.  When I changed the sprockets and switched it to GP shift, I lost a washer that was spacing the bottom of the shift arm.  It had almost half inch of play in it.  Also, the C clamp in there was sliding out all the way.  Grabbing some new washers and clamps today and hopefully it will be fine on monday.
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 1:00pm
Good deal. Glad it's a cheap fix.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2012 at 1:08pm
Yeah man, fingers are crossed it works.  The problem didn't even show up until I got to race pace.  At trackday speeds with less load on the transmission it wasn't happening much.  I got the free play down to about an eighth of an inch for now and it shifts much smoother on the stands.

Playing around with fiberglass for the first time today. There are some bodywork attachment points that are kinda flimsy that I'm going to attempt to re-enforce a bit.  And somehow I lost a slider on the track the other day, so had to order another one from Woodcraft.

I can report I have 9 days on a set of American Dunlop GP-A's and I bet I can still get a few more trackdays out of them, though I'll slap on a new set for the next race.  Granted I'm not setting lap records, but I'm back to being at the pointy end of the A group and pretty close to winning the last two Novice races with some adjustments I picked up from the Pridmore school.
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2012 at 5:09pm
Stoner's last race around the corner, Rossi moving to Ducati, Spies on a Satellite Ducati... can't wait for 2013 MotoGP! Hope Ducati find a solution now that VR has moved on. It'd be good to have a 3 way battle for the championship with a rider from each factory!
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 1:15pm
Wow, almost forgot about this thread. Not much activity with our off season (as much as it gets) around the corner and with the racing winding down.

MotoGPs silly season started (and seems to have ended) early this year. Are there any seats up for grabs?

I'm gonna miss Stoner. I'm not sure Perdrosa is consistent enough challenge Jorge for a full season, although he was a nice third rider to have in the mix when he did get it right.

I fear Jorge will run away with it next year. Not that I don't like Jorge... I just like there to be a bit of competition close to the end of the season (See F1 and WSB this year, hoo boy!)

Rossi's going back to Yamaha, not Ducati, right? I'm not sure he has enough left in the tank to consistently challenge Jorge (see when he was last with Yamaha with Jorge).

Spies second year has been a dissappointment and I don't know why. Him going to a satelite team is a move in the wrong direction, IMO. I wish he could've gotten a seat at Honda to boost his confidence on a good bike; that would've been exciting to see. I thought the move back to 1000cc engines would help him and Nicki, but that just hasn't happened yet.

I don't think anyone on the Ducati will really challenge either Yamaha or Honda. I'm not sure where else a third top team could come from though. Seems the Yamaha and Honda satelite teams are the next best.

I'm bummed that Nicki is stuck and Ducati too, but that's about where he's at right now unless he wanted to go to a satelite team. I think he'd go back to SB (WSB or AMA) if it came to that. He seems to be getting near to that point of his career.

WSB is actually better racing right now. I'd love to see some competitive Americans to root for in that series. We'll see what next year brings. I was rooting for Sykes to win it, but you can't get any closer than a half point. He had so many wasted opportunities during the season buring off the tires and dropping positions at the end of races. He definitely gave it his all.

I wonder if Melandri will learn to ride with some respect and common sense. His banzai moves were getting tiresome, although spectacular to watch. I can't imagine every other rider was nervous when he was behind them.

I'm anxious to see what Checa does on the Panigale next year too. They waited one year too long with the old bike.

I'm also looking forward to seeing if Yamaha and Suzuki can step it up next year. Not sure what's going to happen with Suzuki with them closing their auto division. There may be rough time ahead for Suzuki racing, from a company that has seemed to be the most supportive over the years.

Anyways, what's going on down under educalifa? Is your racing season getting going yet? It's still hard for me to process the opposite seasons down there.
cds4288 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote cds4288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 1:41pm
I wish bikes weren't still so expensive, just like boats. that shit is rediculous. boat and bike companies don't understand the economy is bad and prices need to come down.
Lyedroth View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Lyedroth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 1:52pm
Im saving up to buy a new cbr 600cc
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2012 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by cds4288

I wish bikes weren't still so expensive, just like boats. that shit is rediculous. boat and bike companies don't understand the economy is bad and prices need to come down.
Well, boats are really just recreational (unless you live on a waterway. MCs can be used for commuting/transportation and are cheaper than autos in evey way.

Prices aren't based on the economy, they're based on what it costs to manufacture the product. If prices are too high for the marketplace, they'll either come down or companies will go out of business.
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2012 at 5:16pm
Dking, I suppose it won't be till 2015/2016 that we'll see a decent MotoGP championship again. And by then, there'll be no more Rossi and prob lot of others as well...

Suzuki is supposed to come back in 2014, maybe joined by BMW and Aprilia (all rumours) but I highly doubt any of them will be competitive before at least mid 2015, regardless of ECU/rev limiter rules.

Apparently the CRTs are currently around 10-15hp down on the factory bikes, so it isn't a power issue. Developing a decent and flexible (as in, works on many tracks) chassis and good electronic package seem to be the biggest hurdles for the new players. And with all due respect, Suzuki wasn't competitive enough for years before they left... BMW and Aprilia will prob have their assess kicked for a while as well.

Kwasaki was said to be studying a comeback as well but I wouldn't be holding my breath...
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2012 at 6:15am
CRT is further down power wise than that.  They are probably 10-15 horsepower down on the WSBK motors that the engines are based on.  They don't have engine rules in WSBK, but in Moto GP they have to last several races.  

I read an interesting article yesterday that Dorna told Yamaha and Honda that if they didn't like CRT's, they better come up with an economically viable alternative on their own.  Apparently the two met and did in fact come up with an idea for selling/leasing up to 8 factory rides a piece.  Which would basically mean CRT's would be done for.  

Dorna did throw the gauntlet down on Suzuki though.  Told them they had to sign a three year contract to participate in GP.  Suzuki only wants to guarantee the first year of participation.

Other rumors on Superbikeplanet were that Honda is contemplating a return to AMA Superbike, my guess is this signifies a new model for the CBR, or they really are putting the new V4 on the streets pretty soon.

As for my own season, I parked it race wise until we could get the tranny to shift out of fifth gear.  But kept doing trackdays.  In fact, on the 11th trackday, I finally wore the US Spec Dunlops down to the cords.  Problem was I was turning faster times than ever and I was sliding around a LOT.........a little too much and I dumped it in an off camber corner.  An interesting side benefit occured though.  I snapped a bracket on my Vortex footpegs.  Vortex no longer makes that model and doesn't sell the old parts anymore, so they upgraded me to the new rearsets.  It cured 99% of the shifting issues when I put them back on.  I got in a good Friday practice for the final race weekend in October, but high 30's overnight and the idea of facing a freezing track surface the next morning just didn't sit well with me.  I destroyed a new tire just in one practice day due to cold tearing and didn't feel like messing with it, so I sat it out.

Anyhow, great end to the official season.  I'll be hitting the supermoto tracks in another month or so since they are open year round.  Then headed to the Rich Oliver camp.  There is an outside chance I hit Thunderhill for the two day Thanksgiving trackday, but I would put the odds at only about 30% right now.

Pic from Ridge Motorsport Park, just before I decided to "customize" the graphics

loulou09 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote loulou09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2012 at 6:28am
what is the best size/type for a lady to start on? I have ridden dirt bikes for some time now.
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2012 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by loulou09

what is the best size/type for a lady to start on? I have ridden dirt bikes for some time now.
I don't know if there's a "best". It's really all personal preference and fit. What catches your eye? You'll ride what you like more. I'll throw out the SV650 as a great starter street bike though.
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2012 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by educalifa

Dking, I suppose it won't be till 2015/2016 that we'll see a decent MotoGP championship again.
That's my fear. This past MotoGP season was bad enough once Stoner went out. Hopefully someone will rise up next season, but I'm not optimistic.
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2012 at 7:33pm
Well, at least the last race of the season had a bit of everything!

*****SPOILER *****
Marquez RULED Moto2 and some insane racing on the premier class... Who would have thought Spargaro (or any other CRT for that matter) would lead a race and for more than a couple of laps!!

Can't wait for the results of Tuesday's tests to see if VR will be competitive next year. If he isn't, we're in for the most boring season ever...
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2012 at 4:44am
Well, I'm reading the new Moto GP rules with the spec ECU etc.  I actually think this is a pretty fair compromise on paper.  Almost can't believe Dorna and the manufactures pulled that one off.
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2012 at 4:58pm
Has HRC signed it? Last I read they were still holding their ground...
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2012 at 3:31am
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2012 at 1:04pm
Well, we need all the Moto GP rumors we can get to spice up this off season.
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2012 at 10:30pm
I was just reading the spec sheet of the 2013 675R and wondering WTF we don't have more ppl rocking those bikes on superstock championships!! Yes, I know they lack power but full Ohlins, brembo calipers, quickshifter... surely that has to be an advantage??
red_baron View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote red_baron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2013 at 5:58pm
It's motorcycle season again. I am getting pretty excited, I am heading down to campout for BornFree5 at the end of the month.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2013 at 8:52am
Sure is.  Started off the OMRRA race season with 4 straight wins, which I thought was pretty awesome since I'm gridded up against the 1000's on my 750.  Got the expert bump last round.  Don't feel like re-typing, but here are the race reports I posted eslewhere and some pic's/videos

Well, just concluded two novice races at the opening round of the OMRRA season.  Took two wins, setting fastest laps in both of them.

Race 1 was particularly interesting.  After deciding that the fact I was running wide under power was a suspension issue instead of me just sucking, I decided to wheel my bike over to the suspension guys at KFG racing for them to take a look.  Immediately they asked how I hadn't crashed in turn 6 yet with the way it was set up.  We had just had a huge delay on the track, so figured we had time to pull the forks and mess with the shock, with plenty of time before the next race.

Naturally as soon as we got it apart, the PA blared in with "Race in 10 minutes".  We rushed the suspension back together and made some quick adjustments.  The problem was I literally had about five minutes to get the bike on some tire warmers and attempt to get heat into the tires before going out and gridding up on cold tires and a totally new suspension setup that I had no idea as to what it was going to feel like.  

Things got worse, "final call" was announced (means I have 30 seconds to be on the pit lane or I have to start from the pit instead of the track).  My pit mates were kind enough to start yanking the warmers and getting my bike off the stands while I sat on it and warmed it up.  Of course due to a miscommunication I put it in gear before they took the rear warmer off.  Naturally it wrapped around my axle, requiring the bike to be put back on the stands as time clicked away.  Getting it unwrapped, I broke all the pit lane speed limits and tore out of my pit to get onto the track before the 30 seconds was up, barely making it.

So I go to grid up, tires still cold, not sure what the bike is going to do and nervous as hell instead of calm.  Green flag drops, I drop the clutch too fast and nearly loop the bike over backwards.  Stomp on the rear brake, crash the front down again, pop the clutch AGAIN and do the same thing as I watch the pack tear off into turn one.  Third time was a charm and I took off, having given up all the positions.  Something happened though, being nervous went away as soon as I tucked in behind the bubble, replaced initially with fury, and then kind of a determined attitude that I was coming out of the final turn on the first lap in the lead.  Sure enough, I tore through the field and passed the leader coming out of 9 to take the lead at the end of the first lap.  Then I checked out and cruised to the win.

Sunday came and while it was supposed to be warm, it ended up being cooler and overcast with light misting off and on.  On top of that, all night the geese had been hanging out on the track and shit everywhere, particularly in turn 3 which is never very grippy in the first place.  The front section of the track was simply sketching me out, and I decided at that time that I was going to try and simply tuck into second place and follow that guy around, then make a pass on the final lap.  I simply didn't want to go any faster than I needed too.  Yeah, there were tons of fast guys going quicker, but I just wasn't comfortable.

Race time hits and I get another crappy start, falling to fourth again into turn one.  This time I overtake all four and take the lead under braking into turn 1 on the second lap and start to put some space in between me and second place.  Unfortunately a rider went down hard and his bike was laying on the track so we got red flagged.  After a short delay they sent us back out again and reduced our race to 8 laps from 10.

Another soft start saw me third going into turn 1 (I SUCK at launching a bike BTW).  Not wanting to push too hard on cold tires and a cool track, I followed the two in front of me and went under second place in turn 7.  My plan of following the leader until the final lap went out the window as I realized the track was slippery for everyone so if we got another red flag, the race could be stopped early and I would be stuck with second.  So I lined up an exit out of 9 to overtake the leader just as we crossed the start/finish line.  I knew I was way stronger than him through the later 2/3 of the track, and while i could beat him in the first third, that was the slick part and I didn't want to mess with it.  So the rest of the race I built a gap through the latter part of the track and cruised the first third of it, peeking back to make sure that I was keeping a gap on second place.  

Making matters worse, my visor was fogging up so bad that I literally couldn't see.  I was having to tuck behind the windscreen on the straights and through turn 6 and open it with one hand and let it air out, then slam it shut as I sat up to brake (you can tell through turn 6 when I start wobbling and getting close to the wall in the video below).  Blew a few corners and let second stay closer than I wanted.  Anyhow, I pushed just enough that he crashed out in turn 3 trying to close the gap on the last lap.  Then I just cruised to another win.  

2 for 2 and Charging Hard!  Race 2 video below

Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2013 at 8:53am
All righty folks. Back again with another recap of this weekends racing action with OMRRA. Coming in to this weekend, I had two more races to finish off my novice requirements and get my expert license. Friday was an open trackday to get warmed up for the weekend. Due to low turnout because of weather, we ran 30 minute sessions all day long. I had some huge improvements in comfort and feel on the bike. Helped out a ton by latching on to the fast guys and getting a tow around, including Triumphs AMA Daytona Sportbike team which was out testing with their rider, Jason Disalvo. They finally got their new 2013 race bikes and were sorting them out prior to heading to the Road America AMA round in a few weeks (they raced the 2012 bikes at the Daytona 200 this year).

Anyhow, I started picking up tons of speed. Fast guys that would normally ditch me in a few corners were now taking several laps to break away, in some cases I even found quicker lines. Weather was warm, track was grippy. Even when it rained, it would dry out in 15 minutes and we were back up to full speed again. I rode so much that I ended up with massive cramps in both quads as I was leaned over in turn 2. I had to check up and ride back to the pit area in 3rd gear because I couldn't actually bend my legs to shift. Once there, my pitmates got me on the stands and I actually had to sit there for ten minutes before I could even move off the bike. 

Oh well, probably shouldn't have worn my legs out that bad, but Saturday's races loomed. Up at 5:30 and at the track at 7 I was greeted by rain, in fact, a torrential downpour. I swapped over to rain tires and headed out. Posted some laptimes in the low 1:30's. Checking live timing, I actually wasn't far off the quick guys. Next session I cut that down to a 1:25, while the fastest guy on track was at a 1:22. I was feeling extremely confident in the wet at this point...........So of course it started to dry. Except it didn't dry all the way, just halfway. For those that don't race motorcycles, race tires basically come in two flavors, dry weather and wet weather. The rains only work if there is literally standing water. Otherwise they are so soft that they basically melt within a few laps. DOT race tires look like they have tread, but it's only in the middle. Lean over more than about 15 degree's and it's basically a slick. Combine that with the fact that they do not grip at all when it's cold (more on this later) and iffy half dry conditions are the WORST. I didn't want to burn up a 400 dollar set of rains, so I swapped the DOT race tires back on and ventured out. Due to time constraints, they were not put on tire warmers before heading out. I knew this was a bad idea when rolling along at 5 mph to get to track entry, I tapped the front brake and the damn tire immediately locked from not having any grip. Considering that even coming out of pit lane, I start braking for turn 1 at 140+ mph, this was not a good sign. I rolled around the pit area speeding up and slamming the brakes trying to get heat in the stupid tire. I produced a ton of skidmarks as I locked up the front. Normally if I do this, the bike will almost flip over forward. Finally I gave up, and went on track anyway. Managed the same lap times as being on full wets, though the bike was spinning up and sideways everywhere. Looked at the forecast and prayed the track would dry for our race an hour later.

Which it did...........kinda. Track was bone dry as the horn sounded for last call (30 seconds to get on grid). As I jump on the track for the warmup lap, rain drops start hitting my visor. This was not good. The good news is that NOBODY else gridded up in my class. OMRRA puts novices in two groups, up to 600cc bikes are in NV4 and anything over is NV5 (Mostly 1000's but I ride a 750). On top of that it was a wave start, which meant NV5 headed out 5 seconds before NV4. Joking around with the flagger, I took off gingerly and set about turning a medium pace, worried about the rain. It was totally BORING. Nobody to race. After four laps I realized that if they didn't call this a wet race, I had to pick up the pace to meet minimum time standards. I needn't have worried, I was a few seconds from lapping the NV4 grid when one of them went down and they had to red flag the race since he landed on the track. Since I had actually completed 50% race distance, that signaled the end of the race. I spent the rest of the afternoon pissed. All that work friday and saturday morning for five measly laps by my damn self! best laptime was a 1:17.9 and I felt like I could have pushed faster but was holding back due to the weather. I felt a little better during the next race when the fastest guys were up and only turned a 1:16.5 and several in fact were slower than me.

Sunday came and it was dry, it rained overnight but the track surface was dry, although cold. That said, unlike the day before, we only got 1 12 minute practice session. Then Novice was gridded up as the first race at 10 am. Even though it was dry, I'm not a fan of cold track surfaces, especially with us being the first group to really get some heat into it. That said, I was determined to have more fun than last race. So I donned my Hello Kitty booty shorts and a bra that was lent to me by a female racer. Then announced I was not going to start in front of the NV4 group, but rather grid behind them. So at least I would have something to do (nobody gridded up in NV5 again). Telling everyone in front of me that if they got passed by the dude wearing booty shorts and a bra, they might as well quit. In practice, I was actually only second in lap times, and most of the pack was within a tenth of me.

That all ended when the flag waived. Putting a pack in front of me was a great idea. I bogged the launch, but I brake way later than just about everyone else into turn 1 and dove up the inside of almost everyone. I settled in behind the leader who seemed to be pushing (I could see his bike moving around a bit). Not being comfortable in turn 3, I decided to set him up for turn 4. Sure enough, he blew the entry, however he cut back across my nose and we came out at a really funny angle. I was actually behind him having checked up to avoid contact, he had more speed but was way wide going into five, leaving me a gap up the inside. I nailed the throttle and shot for it.........unfortuantely he went for the same line and stupidly cut back in front again. Only this time we collided. My front brake lever hit his rear fairing and tire. At the time I thought it snapped off, and my front brakes were still being applied to the tire. I had to hold throttle to keep the bike up and was pumping the rear brake. Now for those who are smart, when they change their rear tire, they always pump the pedal a few times to get the air out so it will actually work when you need it. Naturally I didn't do this (I always pump the front, I NEVER use the rear brake on track). So here I was with no real way to control speed and coming up on turn 7 at a little over 100 mph. Fumbling around, I realized that my lever was still there, it had a hinge in the middle (never noticed this before) and had bent down and was stuck in the bodywork below. I was actually trying to exit the track (pit entry is turn 9) but couldn't hold the line needed to do it with the front brake still on. So I headed down the front straight and reached over with my clutch hand and started yanking and beating on the lever until I got it back up. Except now I was heading into turn one, although much slower than normal, I was still well into tripple digits. Did some brake checks to make sure the pads worked, then decided I was running that guy down I collided with. I ended up getting him at the exit of turn 9. From that point on, I was 1-2 seconds a lap faster than anyone else on track and cruised to an easy win, turning a best lap of 1:14.59. Easily passing everyone on track.

So that concludes my Novice racing career with OMRRA. Next race report will be in the expert grid up against the big boys. I'll update this post with pics and video tomorrow or the day after.

Collision pic

dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2013 at 1:11pm
Awesome that you finally got out there racing... and with great success. Never any doubt!!
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2013 at 3:33pm

Awesome that you finally got out there racing... and with great success. Never any doubt!!

Yeah, it's been awesome.  I already decided next round I'm going to grid up in Formula Ultra against the 200+ hp superbikes amongst all the other races.  It's going to be brutal heading onto the straight on my stock motor, but it will be a blast trying to chase the fast guys down and gain some positions.  

And yup, I really wore a bra and Hello Kitty booty shorts

educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2013 at 6:35pm
Great race reviews! I strongly recommend you invest on a brake lever guard... Woodcraft makes a decent one but I'm sure you can find some cheap Chinese ones that will do the same job!

I haven't been on a bike since December and it sucks. I had a false neutral heading into the last corner before the main straight and ran off. Thought I had slowed the bike enough before going off track so I hit the rear brake a bit harder and it locked on the grass and I skid right then left and then had the World's Slowest Highside ever! I was doing around 15mph when I crashed but still managed to break my collarbone, crack and engine mount (Woodcraft slider mount bent and pulled the bolt out cracking the frame).
Saddest part is that I was having a ball until the crash, feeling really comfortable on it and making up ground after another ridiculous start.

Collarbone took forever to mend properly and left me with a nice lump on my shoulder... once it was good I thought it would be a good idea to injure my knee playing bball, so I did that too. Just recovering now. Bike was just fixed this last weekend, hoping to be out there next Friday if I can line things up!
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2013 at 6:40pm
Visual aids post**!

**Bonus: You get to see a video of the crash and even my ghetto inbuilt lap timer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv1mF3fifvk
coolz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote coolz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2013 at 3:32am
^so you were the driver no? The inital guy that hit the other's bike, l would imagine be more damagin 
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2013 at 4:05am
Yes, I was riding the bike the camera was on. The other riders that crash were ok but their bikes not so much... bent wheels and even a bent fork and tank on one of them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748>