Boarding at 40+

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 3456>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boarding at 40+
    Posted: Aug/31/2011 at 3:23am
Originally posted by FreeCarve

Now 62, 90% retired, and boarded about 175 days this past season. Last day of boarding Tahoe was July 9th.

My new hero, that is awesome!  First, I can't even start to imagine getting 175 days.  Second, doing it in your 60's is too cool.  60's are the new 30's. 
tomek77pl View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote tomek77pl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2011 at 3:37am
Originally posted by ctoma

Now 62, 90% retired, and boarded about 175 days this past season. Last day of boarding Tahoe was July 9th.

My new hero, that is awesome!  First, I can't even start to imagine getting 175 days.  Second, doing it in your 60's is too cool.  60's are the new 30's. 

Holy crap Thats awesome, not only are you 62 but 175 days on the slope, now thats impressive. 
cucubing View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
ROME AGENT

Quote cucubing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2011 at 4:00am

^^^

And post this on TruSnow forum? I just don't believe it. Thats crazy!
grapeape2669 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2011 at 4:04am

^Wow.  If I survive all the way to 62, I can't imagine I'll still be riding.  Probably couldn't swing 175 days a season even now.  Hard to tell though, because work kind of gets in the way.

CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CoMtnRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2011 at 4:09am
Getting 175 days a season would be pretty amazing, hopefully that wasn't all at one resort.  I would imagine the same run would get a bit old after that many days haha.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
stevo05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote stevo05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2011 at 6:52am
It's never too late to try something new. Especially when it keeps you physically active. 
FreeCarve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Maalaea Freight Trains

Quote FreeCarve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2011 at 12:51pm
One of our tight crew is 63, and we're both typically on first chair. While he heads to the bar around 2:00, I'm usually riding 'til last chair. I have season passes / free tickets to two of the bigger resorts in North Tahoe, but prefer less crowded areas, mixed with a bit of hiking. Pow is prime, but I love laying it over on groomers, too. (No more jumps, as I can't afford any more broken bones.)

Just missed 20-ft Bells Beach last week, but got some pretty good 4-6 ft waves Monday. Bottom line, you're only as old as you feel .. I find that when I'm riding, I don't feel much pain. It's way worse if I sit around. I gotta laugh when guys talk about hanging it up at 40 .. that's when I really started getting into it heavily.
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2011 at 3:29am

One of our tight crew is 63, and we're both typically on first chair. While he heads to the bar around 2:00, I'm usually riding 'til last chair. I have season passes / free tickets to two of the bigger resorts in North Tahoe, but prefer less crowded areas, mixed with a bit of hiking. Pow is prime, but I love laying it over on groomers, too. (No more jumps, as I can't afford any more broken bones.)

Just missed 20-ft Bells Beach last week, but got some pretty good 4-6 ft waves Monday. Bottom line, you're only as old as you feel .. I find that when I'm riding, I don't feel much pain. It's way worse if I sit around. I gotta laugh when guys talk about hanging it up at 40 .. that's when I really started getting into it heavily.

That is awesome, keep it up!!
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2011 at 7:58am
I hope my body will hold up by the time I'm 40 to keep boarding or even staying active for that matter.
MATTSTERBATOR View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MATTSTERBATOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 8:39am
You have to try boarding!!! If you are a powder hound on skiis, you will absolutely think you have gone to heaven when you hit the powder on a board.
M.Bilenki
LeerroooyJenkins View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 8:50am

My Dad started to learn to Ski when he was 45 on business trips.  He liked it and when a couple times with me when I was snowboarding.  He then wanted to give it a try.  After a couple times, he ended up taking lessons and getting way better than me.  Now he is 60 and still does it constantly.  He goes once a month in the summers and 4-6 times a month in the Winter.  It has really kept him health and gives him a new challenge.

ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 8:52am
Originally posted by Von44

I hope my body will hold up by the time I'm 40 to keep boarding or even staying active for that matter.

I started riding at age 44.  
wpiass View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote wpiass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 9:00am
i'm 30, but have the body of an 80-yr-old....lots of stretching and ibuprofen.
be talkin to ya
ABrad25 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Play hard or look good

Quote ABrad25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 9:02am
My dad is 55 and has skied for 35 years and wanted to try the same thing. Only thing i got for you is you have to have patience and practice to get to basic level. 
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 9:09am
Originally posted by tomek77pl

Originally posted by ctoma

Holy crap Thats awesome, not only are you 62 but 175 days on the slope, now thats impressive. 
This is awesome!!!  I belong to a ski club where there are a lot of older skiiers shredding.  Some even qualify for the free tickets (for being old enough).  There is one lady there that both skis and boards and is 75.  
I'm pretty sure most of them are up playing in the snow more often than I am.  If I get up 10 times this year, I'm going to be stoked!
Tanuki505 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Tanuki505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 9:12am
I would be impressed by 175 by anyone.
10 Flow Infinite 159, 10 Head I.CT 162, 11 Burton Flying-V 158
Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Quote Skio25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 9:23am
You can easily board at 40+, take it mellow to start. I was riding with a 71 year old guy for a few runs last season and he was doing front boards on the elevated skullcandy pipe with steeze
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote carebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 9:35am
Originally posted by wpiass

For those over 40, be careful with the Ibuprofen.  Your liver cannot handle it like it did when you were younger, especially if mixed with booze! Dead
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 9:50am
Kelly Slater just won his 11th surfing world title at 39 years old...and, by the looks of things, he may still be winning it for another 5 years.  Genetics, cross-training, stretching and clean lifestyle (+talent) are everything. 

There a few snowboarders on this site over 45 that are pretty damn impressive...well, I consider 180, 360 airs, alley-oops, switch, 15 ft+ drops, etc in natural terrain impressive. 
screwyvarmint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote screwyvarmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 9:51am
The only issue you may have is the snot-nosed punk kids calling you "old timer".  But yeah, I rode up a lift with a 60-yr old guy and his 40-yr old wife who had just taken up snowboarding after decades of skiing, so it's not that unusual.
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote carebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 10:04am
Originally posted by screwyvarmint

The only issue you may have is the snot-nosed punk kids calling you "old timer".  But yeah, I rode up a lift with a 60-yr old guy and his 40-yr old wife who had just taken up snowboarding after decades of skiing, so it's not that unusual.

That's not nearly as bad as the little shit 7yr olds doing jumps and flips right over your head! Confused
SnapShot View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote SnapShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by carebear

Originally posted by screwyvarmint

That's not nearly as bad as the little shit 7yr olds doing jumps and flips right over your head! Confused

For real!  It amazes me the tricks some of the little kids pull off.   I was boarding with my uncle and he was over 50.  He got a hip replacement and he still boards.  Nothing wrong with enjoying the better sport on the mountain in winter time when your reaching your golden years.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 1:50pm
DAMN KIDS!!!!Angry all young and limber and full of energy and can't feel pain and stuff
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by wpiass

and Ice packs and groaning trying to get out of the car
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 1:57pm
Old people can surely surprise you as much as the young ones.  LOL
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2011 at 2:07pm
Gerry Lopez is 62 and Laird Hamilton is 47.  Both of them still charge the world's largest waves and they both still shred snowboards (well, Laird only heli-boards in Alaska, but Gerry lives in Bend, Oregon, so I'm guessing he rides Mt Bachelor or helis those other gnarly mtns around there).
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2011 at 6:28pm
I'm a few under 40 and just starting out this season. Can.not.wait!!!!
STRICK-9 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote STRICK-9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2011 at 3:34am
46 and hitting my 3rd year....this is the time to progress.  I only wish I had some locals that board so I could progress more thru friends pushing me.....
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2011 at 4:01am
Originally posted by STRICK-9

46 and hitting my 3rd year....this is the time to progress.  I only wish I had some locals that board so I could progress more thru friends pushing me.....

Ironically I'm 46 and hitting my 3rd year, too.  I'm comfortable riding anywhere on the little hills of MI but I'm really looking forward to going to Breckenridge in April to see how my riding skills (or lack of) do on a mountain.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2011 at 4:07am
have you been up to Bohemia ctoma?  You should hit it up in Jan. when the snow is still fresh. 
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2011 at 4:44am
Originally posted by snowj420

have you been up to Bohemia ctoma?  You should hit it up in Jan. when the snow is still fresh. 

No, I have not.  MikeD has been after me to get up there, just haven't had the chance.  I figure it's about a 10-11 hour drive, which is a heck of a lot of driving.  Wish there was an easier way to get there.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2011 at 1:43pm
could fly to Houghton and drive about 40 minutes from there.  We drove.  We live just south of detroit and it took us about 10.  Split the trip in half though and it's not that bad (like stop around the bridge for a night).  We're doing a trip in late Jan., it's sooooo worth the drive. 
Wingnutx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Wingnutx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2011 at 1:41pm
I'm 46, rode 50 days last year, been doing this for 6 years and I can still beat my 20 something year old kids down the mountain...but then again I have a 3rd degree separated shoulder and a broken wrist to show for it and it was worth it. Their injuries...none
soxfan47104 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote soxfan47104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2011 at 1:46pm
why not just try it? it doesnt how old you are you can shred at any age! I went snowboarding  with my friend and his dad and he is 48. once he started getting the hang of it he was beating us down the mountain.
soxfan47104 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote soxfan47104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2011 at 1:46pm
why not just try it? it doesnt matter how old you are you can shred at any age! I went snowboarding  with my friend and his dad and he is 48. once he started getting the hang of it he was beating us down the mountain.
vandi518 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote vandi518 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2011 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Wingnutx

I'm 46, rode 50 days last year, been doing this for 6 years and I can still beat my 20 something year old kids down the mountain...but then again I have a 3rd degree separated shoulder and a broken wrist to show for it and it was worth it. Their injuries...none

We just don't bounce like we used to I guess! I'll be 43 in a month and have gotten in a minimum of 35 to 40 days for the last 4 seasons and expect to ride that many, if not more, this season.  Luckily, I have been able to avoid any serious injuries for the last few years but the little "dings" definitely seem to linger longer these days.
nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote nautika96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2011 at 5:23pm
i noticed that after 25. But man, after reading this thread I cant wait to retire and just board all over the world. Tahoe sounds like a good place to retire. 
STRICK-9 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote STRICK-9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2011 at 2:03am
Originally posted by nautika96

i noticed that after 25. But man, after reading this thread I cant wait to retire and just board all over the world. Tahoe sounds like a good place to retire. 
I thought the same thing but a divorce later and half my retirement going to the ex...here is career number 2....
nilop View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Online
  Quote nilop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2011 at 10:37am
i cant believe that this thread is still going. Sweet and for the record, i learned how to snowboard.  A lot more fun than skiing but ay my age, a lot more painful too! :)
Nilop
tlarson View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote tlarson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2011 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by nilop

i cant believe that this thread is still going. Sweet and for the record, i learned how to snowboard.  A lot more fun than skiing but ay my age, a lot more painful too! :)

Haha it's inspiring to so many!  Thanks!
Jojoro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Jojoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2011 at 12:19pm
I started riding last year at 40 with my husband and kids and love it. I couldnt walk straight for 2 weeks after the first time. We went about 20 times. Sugarlof is opening tomorrow I wish I didnt have to work but we will defenitly be there on Saturday can't wait to try my new Burton feather!
Taurusdemon View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Taurusdemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2011 at 12:20pm
lol falling on a snowboard hurts more than falling on skis
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2011 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Taurusdemon

lol falling on a snowboard hurts more than falling on skis

Maybe, but I think there's a big advantage to having both feet on one board. 
jrvaughn13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Went snowboarding at Badger Pass in Yosemite. Great week!

Quote jrvaughn13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2011 at 3:46pm
I hope I'm able to do this at that age, but its probably not gonna happen. Props to FreeCarve!
tmagee View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
bess friends <3

Quote tmagee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2011 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by jrvaughn13

I hope I'm able to do this at that age, but its probably not gonna happen. Props to FreeCarve!

At least give it a try! I give you mad props for even contemplating it. My boyfriend and his dad ski. And give me a lot of crap for snowboarding. On-going feud, kind of thing.

Shred it up!
[blonde boarder]
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Quote barnyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 7:36am
I want to ride at age 100, so there's no way I won't be riding at 40 (only 3 years from now).
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
gunda pickle View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote gunda pickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 9:13am
I can't imagine a 70 yo doing board slides.
A hip fracture at that age could be catastrophic.
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 10:16am
I see a lot of 40+ people snowboarding at my local hill. Hell 2 of them are a ski patrol couple into there 60s. My advice... get a tailbone protector
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2012 at 7:34am
Originally posted by scuddera

I see a lot of 40+ people snowboarding at my local hill. Hell 2 of them are a ski patrol couple into there 60s. My advice... get a tailbone protector

The Azz-Pad. Good advice at any age. 
nilop View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Online
  Quote nilop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2012 at 3:54am
WOW.  I started this post over two years ago and it's still going.  Damn that's unbelievable and yes, i did try snowboarding finally. :)
Nilop
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>