Boarding at 40+

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 6>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nilop View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Online
  Quote nilop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boarding at 40+
    Posted: May/11/2009 at 10:16am
I've been a skiier for years but after watching my son snowboard, i'm seriously tempted to try it but i have heard of so many people taking up snowboarding after reaching 40+ and coming home with busted body parts. 

Is boarding really that much fun and worth it or is it a sport for the young at heart and more importantly, body?

Stick with skiing or should i hit the board?
Nilop
GUTH View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Online Status: Offline
  Quote GUTH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 11:03am
its a whole different thing.  i cant tell ya if you would love it more then skiing but its def worth a try.  go up and rent for a day.  if you can take a lesson do that.  but yea, its def wroth trying. 
*Insert Something Clever Here*
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 11:05am
I have ridden with Wingnutx and his wife a ton of times.  They are both 40+ and started riding within the past 3 years.  Wingnutx rips it down the mountain.  There is nothing wrong with boarding at 40+
www.chargeharder.com
scottlui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote scottlui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 11:11am
Depends on how often you hit up the mountains... If you have the time to commit to the sport, I say go for it. Learning, is the hardest part. If you can past to the point where you're not always falling on your ass while trying to trying to carve down the runs than snowboarding can actually be easier on your body than skiing.
heischjr View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote heischjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 11:11am
I was a skier for about 6 years before I tried to snowboard.  Ever since the first time I got on a board I have not been skiing once and I have no desire to.  You should at least give it a try.  All you have to lose is a few days of skiing. 
giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 11:16am
I think the hardest part for you might be trying to forget what you know about skiing. I'm sure your body falls into a natural kind of rhythm for skiing, so i would imagine it would be difficult to try and forget what you already know about being on the snow. I dont think you have any more risk of bruising/breaking something than any other 40+ who's never skiied and wanted to try skiing. In all likelihood, you'll probably do better. 
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 11:21am
Who cares how old you are? If you want to snowboard, try it out. If you are worrying about busting a hip, you should probably stay in the lodge.
If you can apply the concept of edging you use on your skis with your riding, that should help out.
Aqtee View Drop Down
Local
Local
Me and my girls

Quote Aqtee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 11:28am
I'm close to 40 and this is my second season......I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go for itThumbs Up
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 11:34am
I would just get wrist guards that seems like it is the number one busted part of learners. Your tail bone might be sore after a day but I know a few people who switched over just fine at that age.  
SunFish View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote SunFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 12:43pm
You're only 40??  I went to High Cascade snowboard camp last summer, adult session, and the 3 oldest campers were between 52 and 56, while half were in their 20's. I read an article that said more older adults were giving up skiing and taking up snowboarding because it is easier on the knees.  Go to highcascade.com  and read about the camp. It is something you and your son could do together for a week, you will learn to ride, and if you dont have the most fun of your life, well,...go back to boring old skiing.  
''Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional''..............          +18/-12 degrees goofy . Burton Hero 152 and Triad EST,    Burton Dominant 146 and P1.1
eVil View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Old school

Quote eVil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 1:48pm

My Dad boards with me and he's 65.  He started about 10 years ago, but was a skier for about 30 years before that.   He picked it up pretty quick.

Kaptn Krunch View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Kaptn Krunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 1:59pm
There's a guy on another snowboarding forum that's in his 40's and he hits the park and has learned to do 7's off the big boy jumps.  IIRC, he picked up snowboarding when he was in his very late 30's or when he turned 40 and a few years later, he's damn good.  So it can definitely be done.

From talking to older riders, they all say the same thing.  You've gotta stay in shape.
dv View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote dv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 2:31pm
i'll second the knees thing - i know a guy who played a lot of basketball his whole life and his knees have gotten pretty bad now (about 50 years old).  he made the switch from skiing to boarding because his knees hurt too much on skis, and says it feels much better on a snowboard.  still no jumps though Wink
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 2:38pm
When presented the option of boarding or skiing, there really wasn't an option for me.  I'm only 28, but my knee's are thrashed from years of streetball and injuries.  There is no way I could ski safely.

The first couple of days will suck, but I'm sure you could get the hang of it.  My father is learning now and he is 53
ezza444 View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote ezza444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 3:31pm

When I worked in the snowfields one year, my boss who would have been roughly 60-70 years old never went out all season which I didnt think as a strange thing. Then one of the very last days she came down to the shop I when I was working in all her snowgear, and a snowboard. I was so amazed and proud of her.

Moral of the story she gave it a go and she loved it.

If you have the chance try it, if you dont like it then stick to skiing, just remember you will be sore after the first day,
odoyale rules View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote odoyale rules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 3:31pm
I know a buddy's dad that was in the same position as you are. He picked up snowboarding, and he loves it
18 days and counting

I make custom diecuts (stickers). PM me for info
ridegnudude View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ridegnudude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 3:50pm
definitely try it. I've seen a guy who was atleast 60 cruisin on an old alpine board.
BFBF View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BFBF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by polin@optonline.net

I've been a skiier for years but after watching my son snowboard, i'm seriously tempted to try it but i have heard of so many people taking up snowboarding after reaching 40+ and coming home with busted body parts. 

Is boarding really that much fun and worth it or is it a sport for the young at heart and more importantly, body?

Do it, i've seen guys in CO and Utah that rip who are at LEAST 40.. Maybe closer to 400!!LOL
If it bleeds, we can kill it
tchriste View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote tchriste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 4:03pm

Definitely try it and buy a helmet.  The first time you catch your heel side edge you'll be glad you did.  I'd also recommend taking advil before, during, and after your first couple days.  I started at 34, also because my son started and it looked like a lot of fun.

To thine ownself be true - selfish or selfless?

55 Agent, 58 Se7en, 60 Supermodel X, 60 Burn, 61 Air, 66 Custom
P1s, Cartels, Missions, Deltas, 390s
Ions
BFBF View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BFBF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by shakazulu12

When presented the option of boarding or skiing, there really wasn't an option for me.  I'm only 28, but my knee's are thrashed from years of streetball and injuries.  There is no way I could ski safely.

The first couple of days will suck, but I'm sure you could get the hang of it.  My father is learning now and he is 53
x2
Way too much basketball and Volleyball= knees wrecked....

Skiing was not and never will be an option...
If it bleeds, we can kill it
alaskankid13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote alaskankid13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 4:15pm
My grandpa is 74 and started up snowboarding a couple of years ago i guess and he is still hitting the mountains, but i guess he is also in a lot better condition than a lot of seventy year olds. he can still climb mountains with us and keep up if not pass us.
despotic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote despotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 4:35pm
Just rent once and see how it is. I don't think age should really matter. If you are active, then I see no reason you can't pick up boarding. Go rip it up, old man! ;) ... jk
myach View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote myach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 5:00pm
yea like everyone else has said, just give it a try!! you won't regret it =D
Eastcoastryder View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Eastcoastryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 5:24pm
Why not?,  I would go for it.  Its better to try something and see if you like it than to live the rest of your life never knowing if you could or couldn't do it.  Also you could pick up some wristprotectors, maybe some impact shorts, and def a helmet to help ease yourself into it.  Just make sure you give it more than a day before you say you dont like it because after the first rough day you will have many nice and easy ones.
higiff View Drop Down
Local
Local
cab 3

Quote higiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 6:11pm

Go fo it, try it hire a board, take a lesson and just go for it. age shouldnt be a defining factor to try a snowboarding

09 Signal Park rocker 152 (snapped + customer servcice = MCSHIT) 08 / 09 lib tech skate banana 52, rotten banana 56 08/09 cartels, sabboths..
krispysteve View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote krispysteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2009 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by polin@optonline.net

Any time is good to start.  40 is the new 30, anyway.  If you're in good shape, the hikes won't be as bad.
A military friend of mine just clicked over, and he's anxious to start riding when he gets home.
You shouldn't even need to come here and ask for advice - you're going to be all right, just run with it.

Steve.
dimm0k View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Mammoth, CA - Jan 07, 2009

Quote dimm0k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 2:26am
Stop wasting time and give it a go now before you get older!
stance: regular, front/back: 15/-15
old: Technine '04 MFM Pro bindings, Forum JP Walker 147cm
new: Burton '09 Triad EST bindings, Burton '09 Custom ICS 151cm
ah8174 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Trying to Teach the Little Sis

Quote ah8174 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 6:27am
I dont think you can ever be too old to try something new and exciting...perfect example I know a woman in her seventies who is taking a trip to Hawaii, I asked her if she was planning on doing anything adventurous while she was there thinking snorkeling or hiking would be adventurous for someone her age, she quickly said she was really thinking about doing the zip line they had there and she wanted to do the pairsailing as well, proving you can never be too old!
jonl89 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote jonl89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 7:11am
Originally posted by ah8174

I dont think you can ever be too old to try something new and exciting...perfect example I know a woman in her seventies who is taking a trip to Hawaii, I asked her if she was planning on doing anything adventurous while she was there thinking snorkeling or hiking would be adventurous for someone her age, she quickly said she was really thinking about doing the zip line they had there and she wanted to do the pairsailing as well, proving you can never be too old!

I agree, go for itThumbs Up
heischjr View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote heischjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 7:18am
My dad is 62 years old and he wants to try next year.  He watches me while he skiis and he said it looks a lot more fun than skiing.
murphyclan View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote murphyclan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 1:12pm
Give it a try. Im 52 and am a former skier. I wanted to learn so I would havbe something I could do with my son. Plan on going for a few days in a row and take lessons. It'll reduce the learning curve. The first few days are frustrating. Wear a helmet and be prepared to fall alot. You'll get your balance and pick it up pretty quickly.
snowball4 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote snowball4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 1:28pm
I switched on my 32nd birthday and never looked back.  Sold my skis and all my ski gear after a year on the board.  I used wrist guards every day when I was still falling a lot, now I use them if I'm trying something new.  But for me, being able to get up many many days was key.  I live in a ski town and have never gone more than 3 days without getting on the hill (except for summer of course).  But definitely give it a try, I became completely addicted, I used to ski maybe 15-20 days/year, now I ride 80+ always, I LOVE IT!!!!!
snowball4 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote snowball4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2009 at 1:30pm
Oh yeah, I also once rode the gondola with a couple in their 80's and they were snowboard instructors, they were so cute!  
SunFish View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote SunFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2009 at 10:12pm
Let us know what you decide. So far nobody has said dont do it. Several have hit the nail on the head though--dont give up because you get frustrated the first day.  Keep at it till you can at least ride all the blue runs easily, then decide if you want to continue. By the time you reach that point, you wont want to go back to skiing.  I've never skiied, but I've heard that the learning curve for boarding is a little steeper, but once you 've got it, it just clicks. Age is not even a question, the only question is whether you want to do it or not.  If you want to do it, you  can. Worried about ''busted body parts'' you said? Remember Sonny Bono (skiied into a tree) and Natasha Richardson (fell down on skiis on a bunny hill a few months ago).  Buy a helmet. Then go have fun with your boarding son because yes, it really is that much fun and worth it.
''Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional''..............          +18/-12 degrees goofy . Burton Hero 152 and Triad EST,    Burton Dominant 146 and P1.1
bmcmahan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bmcmahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2009 at 4:07am
Originally posted by heischjr

I was a skier for about 6 years before I tried to snowboard.  Ever since the first time I got on a board I have not been skiing once and I have no desire to.  You should at least give it a try.  All you have to lose is a few days of skiing. 

I have to agree, I'm 32 and starting snowboarding last season, and have no desire to ski again.  It will hurt the first few times, but all great things come at a cost.  I think once you try it you'll sell your skis and buy a snowbard.  thats what I did.
Even his enemy’s list him as there emergency contact.

Trauma View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Trauma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2009 at 12:27pm
I just learned last season 07-08...40 years old and had not even SEEN the snow for over 20 years.

So freakingly awesomely fun...

I took 2 days of lessons which certainly helped a LOT.  Always wear a helmet, get some wrist protection (I have Burton gloves with integrated prot which work great) and very very important IMO is some tailbone protection.

It is a BLAST and I highly recommend it.
< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall;" id="jsProxy" ="">
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Quote barnyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 1:03pm
I'll be 35 in a week or so, so I damn well hope you can ride at 40, because I hope to ride until I die.
GeckosGoMoo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote GeckosGoMoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 5:07pm
My dad tried riding about three years ago, and he's well in his forties. He caught a couple back side edges and busted his ass pretty good and then he went back to skiing =D Hasn't been on a board since. I think I'm gonna get him back on the board this up coming season though.
oddy View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote oddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 5:25pm
For some moral support for the older crowd getting into boarding:

http://greysontrays.com/

Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Quote Marumm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 5:28pm
This is an awesome thread.  I thought I was a late bloomer trying to pick it up in my 30s, but hearing about the 60+ crew up there ripping it up makes me feel pretty good about it.  Although it doesn't make it any easier when you're up there tripping over your own feet while some teenyboppers are zipping around you doing tricks. :)

My two things for what it's worth:

1.  Don't go when it's icy.  Trying to learn edge control your first time on ice would be kind of rough, and you're probably going to fall a lot and that wouldn't feel food.

2.  Survey some advanced beginner/intermediate riders to find out which resorts have the best beginner areas around.  Some might have a teensy bunny slope, some might have a more expansive area.  Longer terrain=more time for your muscle memory to retain what you're learning.
oddy View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote oddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Marumm

This is an awesome thread.  I thought I was a late bloomer trying to pick it up in my 30s, but hearing about the 60+ crew up there ripping it up makes me feel pretty good about it.  Although it doesn't make it any easier when you're up there tripping over your own feet while some teenyboppers are zipping around you doing tricks. :)

Now imagine that you get good enough that you're the one zipping by the teenyboppers doing tricks.  LOL  Then again, most of the guys that I ride with are 15-20 years younger than me.  Being young at heart is always a good thing.

ty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Jesus Freak!

Quote ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 9:20pm
Rent a board,and HELMET, for three days. The first day is going to suck because you have to learn how to fall and plow. Second day is going to suck because you're going to plant from learning toe edge. Third day will get you so hooked that you will never want to ski again! Get out there and do it. Become inspiration for all the dinosaurs who think they're too old to board.

Just remember that your mentality going into it is almost more important than skill. If you don't think you will be able to board, you never will.
Bring it hard or don't bring it at all.
djinhwan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote djinhwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 4:51am
if i could board at 40+ it would be a miracle
my mom says im hardcore
FreeCarve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Maalaea Freight Trains

Quote FreeCarve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 6:50am
I'm 60 and have no intention of slowing down any time soon. I'm retiring from work in the next couple months, and fully intend to board every month of the year in 2010, starting in North Tahoe, followed by Chile and NZ.
heischjr View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote heischjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 7:31am
Originally posted by FreeCarve

I'm 60 and have no intention of slowing down any time soon. I'm retiring from work in the next couple months, and fully intend to board every month of the year in 2010, starting in North Tahoe, followed by Chile and NZ.

That's awesome.  You are my new role model.
myach View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote myach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 7:58am

dang heischjr.. can we share role model?!  How cool is it to show up your grandkids out there?! I can't wait!! LOL
FreeCarve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Maalaea Freight Trains

Quote FreeCarve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 8:28am
Although my son-in-law was an instructor, we've decided it would be way more cool for me to teach my grand daughter. It'll be a couple year wait, as she just turned 1 ... but she's already had a taste of the bunny slope on a little plastic sled ...
openwheelracing View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote openwheelracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 8:55am
do it, you only live once.
myach View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote myach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 9:07am
that's nice Free... especially when all 3 generations are there riding together
heischjr View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote heischjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 9:39am

Although my son-in-law was an instructor, we've decided it would be way more cool for me to teach my grand daughter. It'll be a couple year wait, as she just turned 1 ... but she's already had a taste of the bunny slope on a little plastic sled ...

If I ever have children and grandchildren,  that would be an ideal situation where I could teach both of them.  I couldn't think of a better way to bond with them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>