Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1234 6>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
FreeCarve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Maalaea Freight Trains

Online Status: Offline
  Quote FreeCarve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boarding at 40+
    Posted: May/28/2009 at 9:53am
This past spring break was one of the best family gatherings ever, with both my daughter's families, another couple and their child ... all camped out in our slopeside townhouse. It'll be an every year affair from now on (snow allowing). Yes, snowboarding together is a great family bonding experience ...
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 10:16am
you can get hurt almost equally doing either skiing or snowboarding...it just depends on how rad you want to get and how good you are at falling

I'm a relatively old snowboarder and still do jumps and spins...of course, I also eat it plenty.  

Knowing how to fall with the least amount of damage helps a lot (skateboarding is very good at developing quick, instinctive reflexes), but if you do anything other than cruising groomers, you're probably not going to avoid being sore a couple of days after...no matter how old you are or how developed your falling instinct.
NortheastBoardin View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote NortheastBoardin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 10:18am
I've been wanting to try skiing, I think it'd be more stable and easier to go faster, plus would probably work better on the icy days.
Go for the POW
jgarcia411 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
the brotherhood

Quote jgarcia411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 11:27am
I'm 43 and started snowboarding 2 years ago with my son and I am hooked for life!!! And yes,  like everyone says,  the first couple of days will be somewaht painful, but just wear protective gear to minimize the pain: wrist protector, body armor, helmet.
FreeCarve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Maalaea Freight Trains

Quote FreeCarve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 11:38am
If you want to surf the mountain (especially pow), learning to board is worth 3 days of continual wipeouts.

Skiing's OK if you have two good knees ... but because I damaged one knee riding offroad bikes as a teen, I used a mono ski for a few years until boards got metal edges.

Even after 20+ years, I still eat it ... I'm presently waiting for a broken foot bone to even begin joining (paying the price for just icing it down and stuffing it in the boot for a couple days) ...
bdenny4 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Hotham

Quote bdenny4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2009 at 12:32pm
Yep I'm a 40+ female boarder.
Started about 4 years ago and am addicted.
Spending 4 weeks on the mountains here in Aus this upcomming season hoping to improve to an intermediate level.

Falling hurts!
Hotham is Heaven
FreeCarve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Maalaea Freight Trains

Quote FreeCarve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2009 at 3:18pm
I just got back to Tahoe from a week in Melbourne ... missed good Bell's Beach by about a week. I might go back for late season if the snow's decent.
BFBF View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BFBF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2009 at 6:26pm
[QUOTE=FreeCarve]I just got back to Tahoe from a week in Melbourne ... missed good Bell's Beach by about a week. I might go back for late season if the snow's decent.[/QUOTE

]\\
would Bell's Beach be the SAME Bells Beach that "Bodie" found his perfect wave at in Point Break?? 
If it bleeds, we can kill it
FreeCarve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Maalaea Freight Trains

Quote FreeCarve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2009 at 8:01pm
Absolutely. I usually luck out, scoring Bells good perhaps 7 out of ten times I've been down.
BFBF View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BFBF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2009 at 8:24pm
If it bleeds, we can kill it
crayonfire View Drop Down
Local
Local
Fire!

Quote crayonfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2009 at 8:42pm
^^ Ooo, I would like to try that.
Davor View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Davor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2009 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by polin@optonline.net

I've been a skiier for years but after watching my son snowboard, i'm seriously tempted to try it but i have heard of so many people taking up snowboarding after reaching 40+ and coming home with busted body parts. 

Is boarding really that much fun and worth it or is it a sport for the young at heart and more importantly, body?

Stick with skiing or should i hit the board?

I'm 44, started snowboarding 4 years ago because I didn't feel like skiiing anymore and simply wanted a new challenge. We were all skiers before, now my older son and I snowboard, my younger one and my wife still ski. I love it and will not be skiiing anymore. By the way, my older, now 14 year-old son broke both his wrists. The first accident was on the very first day he switched from skiing to snowboarding. The second one was last X-mass eve in VT. This time he was pushing himself a little harder than she should have along with an 18 year old snowboarding instructor (they were racing). In VT he even had wristguards, but he fell backwards and hit the hardpack (or may be some hidden piece of ice that was below) with the uppers side of his wrist and cracked it. It was a green stick fracture, so he healed in 4 weeks, but now he's got Burton Impact gloves, they're support his wrists and are heavily padded (and he thinks they look cool). To be honest with you I didn't have the helmet the first year, only bought it after I fell and bump my head, not smart!!! So far my bones are intact, but I am not as agressive (or young, brave and stupid) as my son is. I have had Impact Gloves from Burton for 2 years, I find them better than just wristguards for several reasons.  I also do not ride when it's frozen solid which unfortunately happens often in the East... One needs to remember that a certain level of risk always exists, you need to decide if you are willing to accept it or not.
BTW, a very good friend of my busted his knee 5 years ago and after two surgeries was told to forget about skiing, but that snowboarding was OK. We were together in VT last Xmass, he figured it out in three days and in April bought his new gear (all Burton) from Sierra (his cousin who lives in SF had to buy it for him because Sierra can't ship Burton to Canada). He can't wait for snow now (he'll turn 41 this Friday)!!!
I'd say rent a board for a couple of days (get a decent board, it'll help you pick it up faster), remember the helmet and wristguards, and enjoy. I'm pretty sure you'll like it,  and if you do get yourself as decent gear as you can afford, good quality gear will allow you to improve your skills faster and will also minimize the risk of injury.
Aus_Boarder View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Aus_Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2009 at 8:18pm
46 YO and I spent 4 weeks in whistler this year and missed 4 days of boarding.  I have been boarding for almost 10 years (never skied) and have spent 3-4 weeks every year snowboarding overseas since 2001.   The advantage of snowboarding over skiing is that you use your core / central muscles in such a way that you are not straining your knees, hips and ankles the way you do when you ski.  This makes it easier physically than skiing IMO although having said that, you will trash yourself whilst you are learning.  Helmet and wristguards should be considered mandatory.
maco View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
cant wait for the season to start

Quote maco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2009 at 10:17pm
I say go and take some lessons  :) sounds great that a 40 year old is actually happy 2 try snowboarding! Wish my father would go. Just one quick thing to say though go get lessons from the Mt. thats the best way to learn.
Capiiittaaaaaa .... Jesus that word fun to say
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Quote barnyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2009 at 7:45am
I want to be the 60 year old who outshreds everyone.
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
maco View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
cant wait for the season to start

Quote maco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2009 at 11:42am
Originally posted by barnyard

I want to be the 60 year old who outshreds everyone.

haha me 2 LOL
Borsa View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Borsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2009 at 12:47pm
Just try it, and see what you think.  Its def worth going out and trying something new.  Worse comes to worse, just go back to skiing if you don't like it, right?
ty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Jesus Freak!

Quote ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2009 at 5:15pm
I just want to be the 60 year old guy that can still shred. If I'm still alive at 60, I better be boarding.
Bring it hard or don't bring it at all.
klax27 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote klax27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2009 at 10:33pm
My dad is a long time skier and he tried snowboarding and he loved it and he is now 53 i think.
Boarderin View Drop Down
Local
Local
Sella Nevea Italy 2012: I-FREE Finals - Italian Freeride Circuit

Quote Boarderin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2009 at 6:31am
I can only agree with everything the others here have said! 
The only downside to learning to board late is that you want to kick yourself in the butt for not having gotten around to it sooner!

There are quite a few of the older generation out here in Europe who board... my (conservative) Dad always thinks its strange to see a guy with gray hair wearing the newest 686 baggy boarder outfit or whatever, but I think its cool! Respect to everyone who doesnt take growing older to mean having to grow up Tongue

I started at 31 myself and didnt take any lessons... just went by trial and (loads of) error... it took 2 days of figuring everything out a little til I managed my first linked turns on the 3rd day, although I have to admit that I spent nearly the first entire day only in new powder snow since that was much softer to land in. 

Been riding now since Jan2006 and cant get enough! Best decision I have ever made!

One little piece of advice should you try without lessons first, when riding a T-bar, put your back foot in FRONT of the back binding ;-) no need to look like an idiot like I did my first time!!

Have fun!
Learn to snowboard. Cuz life's too short to waste it...                  Skiing!!
E13 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote E13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2009 at 7:48am
That's pretty cool, Erin ;).

My mom still skis at 48, and I'll be damned if I can catch her half the time.  She rips it. 
Meddlex View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Meddlex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2009 at 12:59pm
I'm comin up on 49 and I switched to boarding about 13 years ago....put my skis back on once since then and that was because I went to load my board on the car and noticed someone had broke one of my bindings.  Wink
BARK - ZZZZZZ
FreeCarve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Maalaea Freight Trains

Quote FreeCarve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2009 at 2:04pm
I had a pretty good scare early this year. I broke my foot pretty bad, and it took 6 months just for the bone to join (the joys of getting older). It looks like I'll be good to go before Christmas, but no more air for me ... Pow & carves only.

60 & still going strong.
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Quote barnyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2009 at 5:11am
so glad to hear that I still have 20+ years to go!
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
4dazeoff View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote 4dazeoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2009 at 9:02pm
old guys rule!  just bought a set of boots board and bindings for a jan. trip to breck!  at 49 i still surf and skateboard regularly and am looking foward to the mountain.  by the way, i got a helmet, knee and elbow pads, crash pants and going to get wrist guards.  you're never too old!!!!  get stoked!!
FreeCarve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Maalaea Freight Trains

Quote FreeCarve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2009 at 5:09am
Originally posted by Guest_129850

i still .. skateboard regularly and .. i got a helmet, knee and elbow pads, crash pants and going to get wrist guards. 

Which island are you on? I'll be recruiting a regular Tantulus team when I return to Oahu in March (and I still have my old gear on Maui).
clay_shooter View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote clay_shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2009 at 3:23pm
You walked away from years of ski experience which you'll rethink every time you are out in bad conditions. It's worth it.  LOL You'll never be as good as you would have if you learned at 20 but you can have a great time.

I learned over 40 so I could go with my daughters.   We've been boarding as a group for about 8 years.  The kids laugh because I get all excited when I do a 180 no matter how bad it looks. Smile  The clothing is a lot more comfortable and you can sit down when your tired without have 8 year olds stop and ask if they should get the ski patrol.

I ride with wrist guards under my gloves, roller blade knee pads under my pants and of course a helmet.  The knee pads are very nice on the east coast when you are dealing with ice.  I've got a skeletools vest that makes me look buff until I take it off when they can see the real me Confused  Lately I've been thinking my mesh motorcycle jacket would be more comfortable under my shell than the crash vest.

Of course my wife laughs because a couple years ago I beat up a shoulder and cracked a couple ribs trying to jump something I shouldn't have. Now I've dialed back and enjoy the shole season LOL
SnowSurfr View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote SnowSurfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2009 at 5:21pm
cool old guy thread! I was beginning to think everyone on here was under 30. I skiied since I was 4, started boarding on a burton backhill in 81, but seriously in 87 at the resorts and never skied again (maybe once or twice). the first day is the hardest, fell alot trying to do it the wrong way, then took a lesson and it was on. all the skiing background and knowledge about carving and using edges kicked in and it's been a blast since then. oh yeah, I'm 48 and still skate, surf, freeride mtb, and snowboard! just do it! I have a friend that lives 10 mins from snowbird and still rips at 63. I also met a retired teacher up in tahoe last season shredding in his mid 60s!
happytheman View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
East Coast Rider

Quote happytheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2009 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by BRUIZZA

I have ridden with Wingnutx and his wife a ton of times.  They are both 40+ and started riding within the past 3 years.  Wingnutx rips it down the mountain.  There is nothing wrong with boarding at 40+

+1 on this!  I've seen Wingnutz shred and I can only aspire to be as good as he is.  I started boarding in the spring of '05 and I'm 38, so there's definitely something to be said for just going for it!
"What" ain't no country I've ever heard of. They speak English in What?
Wingnutx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Wingnutx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2009 at 6:58pm
This is not just a sport for the young and to be honest I have seen more serious injuries with skiers than I have with snowboarders.  Any sport carries with it an inherent risk for injury.  Skiers tend to injure knees and thumbs  while boarders tend to injure wrists and shoulders.  Learning how to snowboard is a humbling experience and my advice is to make sure you wear impact shorts and a helmet, most importantly check your ego at the door and take lessons. 

That being said, I will probably never go back to skiing, I just enjoy snowboarding that much more.  I also have nothing against skiing I just feel the mountain so much more when I am boarding (Bodie would understand)

Also every season I have noticed more and more 40+ boarders on the mountain. I hope the trend continues.

We learned as a family how to board about 5 years ago and it has been the best thing we ever did.  We go on at least one family boarding trip every year and it has been a great family bonding experience. My kids are all athletic, ages 15, 20 & 22 and as the old dog I can still kick all of their asses down the mountain riding regular or switch.

Plus it's a blast getting to ride with other members on SS like Bruizza and Happy.
tm12881 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote tm12881 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2009 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by nilop

I've been a skiier for years but after watching my son snowboard, i'm seriously tempted to try it but i have heard of so many people taking up snowboarding after reaching 40+ and coming home with busted body parts. 

Is boarding really that much fun and worth it or is it a sport for the young at heart and more importantly, body?

Stick with skiing or should i hit the board?

If you're interested, you should give it a try. Rent it a few times to see if you like it or not. I've skied for 7 yrs before started snowboarding, and I think snowboarding has steep learning curve than skiing, plus you already know how metal edges against snow reacts, so you might even pick it up quicker. One suggestion I'd like to make is to get the proper protection gear, like wrist guards, knee pads, and butt pad are must (was for me at least). Helmet and elbow pads would help too. Good luck!
harobikes333 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote harobikes333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2009 at 7:26am
I had an older friend ( he's about... 50? )    

That had knee problems and the doctor said he wouldn't be able to ski anymore.  He switched over to snowboarding and he's now able to enjoy the mountains again:)
FreeCarve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Maalaea Freight Trains

Quote FreeCarve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2009 at 8:19am
I went through a 5-year phase of monoskiing because of a knee problem ... but as soon as metal edges became available on snowboards, my surf/ski friends & I never looked back. It's now been 20+ years boarding, and my knee issues now dictate no more jumps ... but powder and carving are more than enough.

61 & still scrambling for 1st and last chair
harobikes333 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote harobikes333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2009 at 8:20am
:)  glad to see you're still kickin' FreeCarve ^ ^ :P
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2009 at 8:39am
yeah, freecarve, you're an inspiration.  Makes us all believe we might be enjoying this wonderful sport decades longer.
FreeCarve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Maalaea Freight Trains

Quote FreeCarve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2009 at 9:10am
I'll be damned if I retire before at least a few seasons riding on Free Lift Tickets @ 70 ... so I've got a LONG ways to go ;>)
The English Butler View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote The English Butler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2009 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by FreeCarve

I'll be damned if I retire before at least a few seasons riding on Free Lift Tickets @ 70 ... so I've got a LONG ways to go ;>)

That's the attitude Clap
More Tea Lord Douglas?
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote The English Butler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2009 at 12:34pm

That's the attitude Clap That's given me something to aim for LOL
More Tea Lord Douglas?
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote The English Butler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2009 at 12:34pm

That's the attitude Clap That's given me something to aim for LOL
More Tea Lord Douglas?
Bonitis View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Bonitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2009 at 12:50pm
i hope i can still be boarding at age 40. prolly just freeride tho, don't wanna permanently injure myself doing tricks. if i have kids i'll def try to get them into it as soon as possible.
liljam0 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote liljam0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2010 at 5:59pm
determined View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote determined Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2010 at 1:33pm
how old is the jake burton? he snowboards 100days year.
aleex1988 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
.-xXx-.

Quote aleex1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2010 at 11:51am
My father-at-law is about 51 years old and he rides every year...he doesn't play tricks, but rides with style haha
Cheer up!
Shimazina View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
No

Quote Shimazina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2010 at 10:51am
i would try the board. but to not get hurt take it slow on the small hills first to learn to stop and go slow very well.
_| /-\ |\/| |<- $
AppleBox View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AppleBox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2010 at 10:53am
i talked to a 67 year old that was snowboarding believe it or not he was doing jumps
If a catfish were to talk to you would you treat it with respect?
Spenser W. View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Spenser W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2010 at 10:06am
My mom has been skiing since she was like 11. She switched to riding, this is her third year. When she first switched, she would do both-she'd snowboard in the morning, then if she wanted to meet up with her I'd be like, "go get your skis and let's shred the pow pow." She improved a lot though, and now she can ride blacks and everything. She has not ski'd once this year, and I don't think she's ever going back.

She's, uhhh, 52 (shhhh, don't tell her I told you).

She got crashed into last year and broke 1-3 ribs, but that didn't stop her!!
2011 159 YES Typo II
2010 Triads
2011 Impreza
iis2fly View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote iis2fly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2010 at 10:10am
I can only hope I still have the energy and the time to snowboard when I'm 40, Big ups for all those that do
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2010 at 10:19am
Cool, i thought i might have to retire from snowboarding at 40. If Brett Farve could still play in the NFL, I guess I could manage down a hill.
yabmane View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote yabmane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2010 at 10:43am
Never said you too old to do or try anything. NIKE said Just Do It!
BTW, I will be 40 next year.
bdenny4 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Hotham

Quote bdenny4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 1:16am
Originally posted by Spenser W.

My mom has been skiing since she was like 11. She switched to riding, this is her third year. When she first switched, she would do both-she'd snowboard in the morning, then if she wanted to meet up with her I'd be like, "go get your skis and let's shred the pow pow." She improved a lot though, and now she can ride blacks and everything. She has not ski'd once this year, and I don't think she's ever going back.

She's, uhhh, 52 (shhhh, don't tell her I told you).

She got crashed into last year and broke 1-3 ribs, but that didn't stop her!!

That is excellent - and I thought I might be the oldest female snowboarder at 44.

Hotham is Heaven
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>