Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <12345 6>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Coelispex View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Lil Grom

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Coelispex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boarding at 40+
    Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 1:49am
Originally posted by FreeCarve

I went through a 5-year phase of monoskiing because of a knee problem ... but as soon as metal edges became available on snowboards, my surf/ski friends & I never looked back. It's now been 20+ years boarding, and my knee issues now dictate no more jumps ... but powder and carving are more than enough.

61 & still scrambling for 1st and last chair

Yeah but first chair isn't really an issue right? All the "experienced" folks I know are up at like 5 am every day...

But yeah, you're awesome and I hope I can be like you at 61.
Don't get mad at your boss, just get apathetic about work
Charb View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Charb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 1:52am
it's never too late to do something new!
DanShredder View Drop Down
Local
Local
my new goggles and helmet from Sierra

Quote DanShredder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 3:58am
I say go for it. I can easily see my dad boarding and he is 56 now, but I must admit he is in pretty good shape, he used to be world class athlete. 

There is no harm in trying, if you don't like it after the first few times out then just stick to your skiing.
Innocence View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Innocence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 5:20am
my workmate shared a story with me. once he was skiing in new zealand i think it was, and he got onto a lift with 2 60+ aged men who had snowboards strapped to their feet.

he asked them almost the same question you're asking, when they started, how they find it, etc.

they were loving it and they said that the people who know them call them "the greys on trays". haha.
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Quote barnyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 5:28am
I plan to board at 40 and way beyond.
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
Hoof Arted View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Hoof Arted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 5:41am
One day at the slopes i saw a man who had to been over 50 or probably even close to 60 and he was snowboarding. He was definitely of the elderly age. It was pretty rad to see something like that. I just had to give him a high five when i saw him at the base of the mountain.    
athousandmonkeys View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote athousandmonkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 7:22am
Go for it - it'll make you feel younger.
JumpsCrashPain View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote JumpsCrashPain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2010 at 5:33pm
I rode a chairlift with a guy who must have been 60-70 today.  He was just as excited about shredding the powder as I was.  Hope I can still do this when I'm that old.
skboarder06 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote skboarder06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2010 at 5:42pm
Anyone think that in general snowboarding is easier on the body than skiing??? (aside from the knees)
Dice View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Dice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2010 at 9:35pm

Not sure if it's easier on the body! I know it's more comfy to ride and cruise and switch as you need. Just take teh boots (vs hard boots) and no poles to carry and push around (not that it's a weight to consider). But IMO, yes, it is easier on teh body if you ust wanna cruise and take it easy.

However, if you're learning BOTH at the same time, I'd say less pain with snowboarding! That's from my personal experience. Your legs already together and all you need to learn is how to fall (front & back). But you won't be all over the place like on skiies... legs, hands and all. Have a helmet, padding, wrist guards and your good to go.
There's a video on SS about how to fall properly. Also, when starting, make sure there's LOTS of snow cover to absorb the falls. DO NOT start learning in icy condiotionss... it will hurt.

Pay good attention not to cllip (catch) a front or back edge (facing down or up). Those hurt.

Hope this helps.

Cheers...
PEOPLE ARE ALL THE SAMEā€¦ THEY ALL THINK THEY ARE DIFFERENT!!! -------- GEAR: Palmer Timeless 164, Nitro Haze 156, Burton T6 164, Ride Machete 161W (LE), Burton P1.1, Burton C60, Union Force SL, K2 DB T1 (boots)
xxa1z4n3xx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote xxa1z4n3xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2010 at 9:36pm
ive seen many people who board beyond 40. im so amazing by them.
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2010 at 10:40pm
I'm over 40 and still board... didn't start all that young either. But some of my buds I ride with are over 50. Big ups because I'm already starting to feel old. 
No Sig... I'm just not that witty or creative
robbbel View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote robbbel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2010 at 11:09pm
My dad is 50+ and wants to pick up snowboarding next year.
I think he'll do fine unless he gets too scared and conservative..
Local
Local

Quote athousandmonkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2010 at 5:59am
Originally posted by JumpsCrashPain

I rode a chairlift with a guy who must have been 60-70 today.  He was just as excited about shredding the powder as I was.  Hope I can still do this when I'm that old.

I love seeing old people on boards - they're always soooooooo stoked!
Qu View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Qu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2010 at 6:22am
This is my 1st post! I'm 45, and been boarding for 3 years. It started rough, but I was determined to learn.

Today I carve hard, speed race, do all trails from green to double diamonds. I do trees, side trail jumps! And this year I started, doing park jumps, riding switch, 180's, presses, walls and even boxes. And I don't plan on stopping any time soon. Long way to go and lots to learn, and that's what keeps it exciting every year.

All I can say is that age is as old as how you feel - it's NOT a number! Enjoy life to the fullist and JUST DO IT!

Cheers...
Local
Local

Quote athousandmonkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2010 at 6:31am
That's awesome Qu - it'll keep you young for many years by the sounds of it.
shop_8561 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote shop_8561 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2010 at 6:42am
Definitely go for it.  I recommend that you're well padded/protected in all the right places before you hit the slopes. For example, helmet, wrist guards, crash shorts, knee pads, elbow pads. It's well worth the expense even if you decide that you don't like snowboarding after one day.  As a 40 year old and a dad of two young toddlers I try to minimize the risk of hurting myself with protective equipment especially when I'm in the park.  
3mlyn View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote 3mlyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2010 at 6:47am
I'm a 48 year old female, and just started boarding in February.  I took 1 lesson, but would suggest 3 in a row to decrease the learning curve and pain.  After 5 times, I can link turns on greens and think I'll be ready to take on blues next season.  My goals are to have fun riding with my family and enjoying the awesome sensation of going down the mountain.  I'd also like to get off the ski lift successfully every time!

Any determined and moderately athletic person should be able to pick up boarding in their 40's.  It did scare me a little when the guy handing out boots told me women my age (as noted on the rental form) don't usually try to snowboard.  The guy who handed out the boards seemed completely perplexed about what board to give to me and told me to expect to fall a lot.  Despite their comments, it's the best thing that I've done in a long time and I feel great!  Can't wait for next season.   

Charb View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Charb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2010 at 6:57am
it's never too late.
Chris1015 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Chris1015 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2010 at 7:02am
i agree.
bitemebite View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote bitemebite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2010 at 7:03am
that sounds awesome guys.
bitemebite View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote bitemebite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2010 at 7:04am
then again, what really matters is how young at heart we all are!
Justpha View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
candy bars

Quote Justpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2010 at 7:48am
I always enjoy seeing "old" guys on boards! It's awesome! Stick with boarding!
TZR View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
011 Artistic

Quote TZR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2010 at 12:09pm

My first time for snowboarding was about 37, now I already 40+, I love this game, and I will continue to boarding until I can't ride anymore....

Don't think about the age, just go for snowboard A.S.A.P.

HK snowboarder
eriklim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
take on the ice

Quote eriklim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2010 at 12:16pm
I'm surprised there's lots of people out there doing what they love in spite of what age tells em.

That gives us hope to keep on snowboardin'. Clap
superliou View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote superliou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2010 at 12:39pm
cool to see that there is so many people that is still bording at there age. hope this shows poeple that snowboarding is not just a young kids sport.
baldclimber View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
21 inches of fresh Pow at Le Massif Jan 2010

Quote baldclimber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2010 at 2:15pm
I've been riding 6 years now and started in my late thirties. I just got back from closing day at Mt Tremblant (free "Get Lifted" ticket - thanks Burton! ) with a friend of mine who is older than me. She skied all her life until she switched to riding about ten years ago.

I'm not stopping anytime soon.
fool760401 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
My New Ride!

Quote fool760401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2010 at 5:38pm

I am in my early 30, and started last season. Since I started riding, I used helmet, wrist guards, knee pads, and hip/butt pad. I highly recommend these things.

Recently, I started using a armor suite. I don't feel a thing whenever I fall.

You should at least take one lesson.
Sierra RC : Burton Mission : Burton Hail
tigerclaw View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
the apex...

Quote tigerclaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2010 at 5:40pm
my uncle (age 42) came up with me. i tried skiing and he tried snowboarding the first time and he got destroyed lol
seyheeya View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote seyheeya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2010 at 5:45pm
My husband and I just started snowboarding this year and we're in our mid thirties. We definitely hope to be snowboarding though the 40s to 70s if our bodies would allow it!
One of the instructors I took a lesson with was probably in his late 50s and he was the best teacher I've had so far! It's never too late to learn!!!
VASHTS718 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
boards

Quote VASHTS718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2010 at 6:00pm
45+ is probably too late to learn to board..

But once you know how to, i'm pretty sure u can board well into late 60's, early 70'sClap
SnowBanker View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Stunt alien

Quote SnowBanker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2010 at 6:23pm
Started when I was 40. Haven't fallen much if at all this past season, but I still wear impact shorts with real tailbone protection, wrist guards and helmet, probably don't need knee or elbow guards, but I wear them anyway. Makes being on my knees when I stop more comfortable. Keeps the joints warmer which protects from injury. I am certain I heal slower than I used to, so I take precautions.

Lessons were key for me. I'm doing tougher blues and easy blacks and still plan on taking lessons at the beginning of each season. It's not about not falling, but getting the most fun out of the experience with good technique.

I joked with my wife that my red snowboard was my midlife crisis equivalent of a buying a red convertible sports car! The only time my mind is not cluttered with a million things to do, is when I snowboard. Sounds silly, but I am hoping that my snowboarding and yoga will keep my mind and body healthy into a ripe old age.

tmoney View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote tmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2010 at 9:32pm
I saw an older gentlemen (60ish) at the park boarding and he looked so happy.  He reminded me of the Dos Equis man.  I wish to have his swagger at that age.  
bdenny4 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Hotham

Quote bdenny4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2010 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by SnowBanker

Lessons were key for me. I'm doing tougher blues and easy blacks and still plan on taking lessons at the beginning of each season. It's not about not falling, but getting the most fun out of the experience with good technique.

Totally agree with this statement.
I am similar to you - started at about 38 and each season I have a couple of lessons, push myself a little more and spend a few more days on snow.
I will be spending a season in the snow here in AUS this year so I am hoping that those blacks will be handled with a little more ease at the end of it Smile
Hotham is Heaven
SnowSurfr View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote SnowSurfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2010 at 8:10am
I have a friend in UT who is 63, on the last big pow dump at snowbird he both skiied and boarded. He said he skiied double blacks with a buddy that is 78! age is a number, it's all in the attitude and approach! If you think you can't because a number you probably wont, if you just go do it, and keep at it, there's no reason to when when you shouldn't! Too old is bullshit!!!
hellodonl View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote hellodonl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2010 at 9:00am
go for it. boarding is fun and safe as long as you know & respect your physical limitations.
fruehan View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote fruehan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2010 at 9:02am
my wife and i started at4o best thing i ever did
james r fruehan
snowfab View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Brighton sunset.

Quote snowfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2010 at 9:03am
i can only hope i am sitll able to ride when i am 40+
yuanban View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote yuanban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2010 at 9:05am
My boss is 64 and he is still boarding every year, so go for it!
fostpaint View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote fostpaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2010 at 9:07am
Originally posted by VASHTS718

45+ is probably too late to learn to board..

But once you know how to, i'm pretty sure u can board well into late 60's, early 70'sClap

I call BS. I took up the sport at 29, with my brother in law who was 40. He has skied since the age of 4, and decided he was ready for something different. Now he's a very different rider than I am, and we're both approaching it very differently than my 12 year old nephew, but I see no reason why someone 40+ or even 60+ can't take up the sport for the first time. 
kurill777 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote kurill777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 11:30pm
ride or die
(age is not important, important strength of spirit)
Ants View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
me n my buddies

Quote Ants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 11:35pm
young blood running in ya!
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2010 at 4:41am
learning to board takes a lot more determination than skiing.  The learning curve is much steeper on a board.  Add to that the pain associated with your first time out... some people get put off by that.

I learned to ski first and skiing was pretty fun and easy to learn.  My first time out skiing, I was almost carving on blues the same day.  When I first went boarding, I spent 8 hours on 1 green run.  By the end of the day I was able to link turns.  However, the next day I was sore everywhere.  Snowboarding is definitely harder to learn and much more painful.

That was 11 years ago.  I have never been skiing since and I have absolutely no desire to go skiing again.  Boarding is definitely more fun.  
eldolocal68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2010 at 4:49am
i am 40+, my wife,(happy birthday honey) is nearly 40, we both ride, and ride hard, we lived in CO, and once you experience some deep pow on a board, you will know, that there is nothing better. I ski, and board, and think everyone should be skilled in both. About getting beat up learning, its nonsense, you're 40, not 70, if you are in good enough condition to ski, you should be fine boarding.
seyheeya View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote seyheeya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2010 at 10:20am
Age is a state of mind and so is snowboarding! Even an 40+++, your body is capable of doing a lot of things on the board. Don't let your physical age of even fear block you from your potential! Get out there and ride hard! Don't be afraid to get hurt a little! It makes your progress even more rewarding!Big smile
tommyfongmac View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote tommyfongmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2010 at 11:43am
I started this year @ 38.. and i'm hooked.
I decided to switch from skiing and have no regrets.. i got tired of uncomfortable ski boots and the toll it takes on my knees..
boarding boots are much more comfortable and easier on the knees.. the learning curve is so worth it at the end.
i would certainly invest in impact shorts to protect your tail bones and level gloves that have integrated wrist protection..
ppl get injured only because they get impatient and don't take their time. if your willing to grasp the skill gradually, u have nothing to worry about!
2009 Bullet, 2010 X8, 2010 HERO
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2010 at 11:53am
Like I've always said, whatever gets you up to the mountain... go for it!!!
Like someone said, just rent, pay for a lesson (although I would recommend three), and see if you like it.  If you don't, it's only three days of missed skiing.  If you do like it, you may feel completely at ease.
Tail bone is definitely something to consider.  My husband had a sore bum for a few years after learning.  We're 10+ years into it now and loving it even more.  Now to get our kids involved (3.5 and almost 2)
Tyler5 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Tyler5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2010 at 12:08pm
Haha, I have to say I don't think there is anything wrong with being an old snowboarder, it does creep me out when I see a 60 year old dude dressed like a 13 year old punk rocker snowboarder, but I guess to each his own haha.  I'd say give it a try and see if you like it.  I prefer having my feet locked in together and also not having to hike up a black to retrieve a lost ski in a nasty spill is always nice.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2010 at 12:31pm
first day is rough (and any time falling after that adds up), but there's no reaon why 40+ can't take up the sport...with pads.

progression is inevitable.  Only problem is how are you going to face the challenge of the next level, after being able to link turns down most runs and the technique of letting yourself fall with the least amount of damage? 

Do you see yourself stagnating yourself at the beginner plateau or are you going to move on to the logical next level?: tricks like riding backwards ("switch"), straight jumps, 180s, etc

can you ever see yourself riding off a big rock or small cliff in powder conditions?...because you are going to want to do something out of your routine 

Riding down groomers the same way for eternity can, eventually, get boring.  You're naturally going to want to progress, and in snowboarding, the consequences get exponentially higher

NGremlin! View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote NGremlin! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2010 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by tm12881

One suggestion I'd like to make is to get the proper protection gear, like wrist guards, knee pads, and butt pad are must (was for me at least). Helmet and elbow pads would help too. Good luck!

Definitely this. I'm not quite 40+ yet, but I've lost my sense of invincibility a long long time ago. I think the top protective wear would be 

1. helmet
2. wrist guards
3. knee pads

Mainly because those 3 things hurt badly when injured and are hard to fix! If nothing else, though, at least get the helmet.

I think if you have a good attitude and are willing to fall down a little bit during the learning process, you'll do fine. Be careful... but not too careful. Remember to relax and have fun.

Besides, underneath all the gear, no one knows how old you are. Maybe on the slopes, you are really a kid at heart.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>