Quick Login: Forgot password?

Boarding at 40+

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 23456>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
3mlyn View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote 3mlyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boarding at 40+
    Posted: Apr/29/2010 at 7:10am
Originally posted by Piranha

first day is rough (and any time falling after that adds up), but there's no reaon why 40+ can't take up the sport...with pads.

progression is inevitable.  Only problem is how are you going to face the challenge of the next level, after being able to link turns down most runs and the technique of letting yourself fall with the least amount of damage? 

Do you see yourself stagnating yourself at the beginner plateau or are you going to move on to the logical next level?: tricks like riding backwards ("switch"), straight jumps, 180s, etc

can you ever see yourself riding off a big rock or small cliff in powder conditions?...because you are going to want to do something out of your routine 

Riding down groomers the same way for eternity can, eventually, get boring.  You're naturally going to want to progress, and in snowboarding, the consequences get exponentially higher

There may be some truth to this line of thought.  Since I'm a brand new beginner, I haven't gotten to the point to see how this plays out, and I figure I've got a long way to go. 

On the other hand, most things in life can get pretty boring around the age of 40-50, which is what leads so many people to have a mid-life crisis.   It's really up to the individual to continue to make the experience worthwhile.  When I get proficient, I plan to check out other resorts in the area, and then take trips to resorts in the Northeast and West.  I figure if I can't progress in my riding, I can use riding as a way to see the country. 

BTW, I would attempt some jumps, but it would embarrass my daughter too much!
NYshred View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Arizona Horizon

Online Status: Offline
  Quote NYshred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2010 at 7:20am
if you think its getting boring, try taking an advanced lesson. if you get a good instructor, they will teach you things to do with your boar you never thought existed.

I became an instructor over this past season, and there are thousands of elements to just freeriding that i never thought existed for example, using counter foot motion and use the twist in your board to initiate turns.
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2010 at 7:57am
wow.. i never thought about advanced lessons...

I wonder if they have that here down in DC..
MiguelMas View Drop Down
Local
Local
Old man Migs

Quote MiguelMas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2010 at 8:00am
Im 67 and snowboard just fine. Take yer centrum silver, pound a couple Ensure Energy Drinks and let the shred begin.
kingman756 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kingman756 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2010 at 8:11am
my cousins dad boards and he loves it. just take it slow and you'll love it alot. he was a skier but tried snowboarding a couple time and never looked back.
campfortune View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote campfortune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2010 at 8:23am
I think it depends mostly on individual abilities and propensities. Age is not that important a factor comparatively.
evl4fun View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote evl4fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2010 at 11:12am
I'm 40 and started in the winter of '06, and I swear I get a bit younger every time I go
Fear is the mind killer
808miles View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
HOWZIT!!!

Quote 808miles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2010 at 1:32pm
Started in my mid 30's. I'm 43 now and don't intend on stopping anytime soon. Everybody's right about the first couple of days being a little rough, but stick with it and it'll be a stoke like you've never had before. Shred on, brother!
Skoojoo View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote Skoojoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2010 at 1:36pm
my Dad is 52 and he has been snowboarding as long as i have... of course hes not as good b/c of fear and arrogance but he handles all the same runs i do.
'10 Academy Team 152 w/ '10 Flux Super Titan
'10 Rome Pusher 150 w/ '10 Flux Super Emblem
'10 Sierra Stunt 147 w/ '10 Flux Super Emblem
'11 GNU LDT Park Pickle 153 w/ '10 Super Emblems
SoSik View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote SoSik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2010 at 1:44pm
Get a helmet, make sure your medical bills are paid, then go for it.  My friends uncles 46 an he rides with us sometimes he wasn't a previous skier but he picked it up pretty fast.
clintoon View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
snoooooooooop

Quote clintoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2010 at 1:56pm
go for it, YOU CAN DO IT
ALL DAY EVERYDAY
southernsoul View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote southernsoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2010 at 1:58pm
I love the first post i read "first day is rough" yeah sure is I started post 40 and took a few bumps but as they say in the classics no pain no gain and thats all history now "I hope", get into to it its great!
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2010 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Skoojoo

my Dad is 52 and he has been snowboarding as long as i have... of course hes not as good b/c of fear and arrogance but he handles all the same runs i do.

LOL. Obviously the point of view of youth. I'm sure he views it as risk management and level-headedness. After all, he has to go back to work the next day to pay the bills with his family depending on him. Don't want to risk that for a short term thrill. Also, the body just isn't the same after all those years. Damn, I sound old. Ouch
No Sig... I'm just not that witty or creative
LapuLapu View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote LapuLapu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2010 at 3:02pm
43, married with 2 kids. I didn't think i could fall in love so late in life.....but i did. I've hit double diamonds at Aspen on my skis, surfed overhead waves and rode some pretty sketchy single-track trails on my mtb. But, i have never been as stoked as i was when i was watching my 2 boys (ages 5 and 7)carving down Solitude run at Mammoth.

"I want to see the mountains, Gandalf." Bilbo Baggins

From my youth, i was lucky enough to have my late father teach me about the simple joys of sliding down a mountain on skis. Like most kids, i didn't know how good i had it. This season, after a 20 year hiatus from the mountains, i finally took my family and we have been going every week since.

There nothing I can say in this post that hasn't already been said in this thread (perhaps only a re-emphasis on wristguards and helmets). Really, I just wanted to share the stoke. Thanks

de gustibus non est disputandum
dongypro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dongypro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 3:09pm
as long as you dont fall over much, you'll be fine in the office the following monday :D
wdi View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote wdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 3:14pm
One of my good friends is nearly 50, and she still kicks my butt all over the mountain :).
shock639 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Psycho Stick

Quote shock639 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 3:27pm
I'm 33 now and plan on boarding my entire 40's.

My age and responsibilities do hold me back though. If I get hurt I can't work. I run my own little small business involving labor. If I get hurt there is no one to do all the work that is already scheduled and that work will pay my bills.

I got hurt in the beginning of Feb. learning how to ride switch, I was still able to ride but I can still feel injury in arm to this day. After that I really had to calm down and get ready for work season and be fresh for spring.

I'm a spry 155lbs and am in excellent shape but still could feel my limitations towards the end of the day while boarding. I seemed to get hurt doing stupid things and would hold me back from progressing till I recovered. But that had more to do with inexperience.

The biggest limitation on me is jumps where my knees can not take anything but small ones. The more I learned, it got more advanced and I fell a lot and I felt like a 30 year old.

I will be a old man boarder, no ski's when I'm a senior citizen.
Life is good
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Quote dking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 1:38pm
et
Originally posted by shock639

I'm 33 now and plan on boarding my entire 40's.

My age and responsibilities do hold me back though.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. It's risk vs reward. When you get older, you know you'll never be a pro, so it's all about having fun and enjoying the ride. Just wait until you hit your 40s... the injuries linger even longer... and then 50s... geesh. But don't let that stop ya from enjoying life. And I bet Skoojoo's "not so good" Dad is having more fun than he can even imagine getting to shred with his son. Clap
No Sig... I'm just not that witty or creative
gody View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote gody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 1:47pm
Im forty this year and only took up snowboarding last year, from years of skiing. I took a one on one private lesson, expensive, but I can now snowboard with confidence. Its fun just doing something new, although I did do a rib cartlidge injury last season, catching an edge and landing face first under the chair lift is not my most memorable moment.
Still life is short and snowboarding is fun, thats all I can say.

Cheers
tazsurf View Drop Down
Local
Local
Me and my nephew

Quote tazsurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 6:32pm
I went with my 10 year old nephew this year for the first time.  I'm 42 and he and I had a great time.  We fell a lot, although not as much as I had expected, but had fun and it's something cool that we can do together.  Just ordered 50% off snowboards for our Christmas presents. :)  I think you will enjoy it.
pibimbap View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
sleeping at mammoth...

Quote pibimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 7:02pm
Haha I'm only 21, but go for it dude. I plan on boarding as long as I can still walk.
julkydean View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote julkydean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 7:03pm
Hey my good buddy Eric is 40 and I have a hard time keeping up with him. HE really doesn't act like he's that old. When you start, dont think about all the bones you could break, but think about how fun it will be when you get the hang of it.
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2010 at 7:46am
A lot of very good comments on here.
   I was a few weeks shy of my 45th b-day when I first decided to give boarding a whirl. Over the last 2+ seasons, I've been out 39-40 times. I was hooked from that first day, which lasted maybe 2-2 1/2 hours. I'd skied for about five years as a teenager, but it had been 29 years since I'd last been out on the mountain. I never enjoyed the mountain on skis the way I do on a board.
   I've been an avid tennis player for over 10 years, but I'd give it up in a heartbeat, if I had to choose between it and boarding. There are a lot of different reasons to like boarding, just as I'm sure there are for skiing. Everybody's got their own story to tell. If you just like being out on the hill, snowboarding is definitely one great way to enjoy it.
   Also, I've got a friend that goes to the hill with me quite often, who, at 43 or 44, started learning to board this past season.
campfortune View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote campfortune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2010 at 7:56am
I do think as people get older, they do become more timid and more fearful.

It's a personal experience. when I was a kid and a teenage something, I was kind of fearless. I once jumped from a roof just to see if I could do it. now, I think I become kind of timid. in the back of my mind, I always worry if I will break my bones or skull....So, I don't really want to try risky tricks...
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 3:51am
I'm 45 and started snowboarding last winter. I'm not a converted skier (only been on skis 5 or 6 times) but my wife is a skier and she figured this would be the time to get our boys on skis (ages 4 and 6). I wasn't interested in heading to a ski resort to ski so I figured I would try snowboarding. Took one lesson and I was hooked!

About the only thing I can compare it to that I have done in the past (waaaaay back) is skateboarding. In my much younger days I used to spend the whole summer in a skate park. I haven't attempted to hit a snow park yet but I hope to make a lot of progress next season and maybe give it a try. We'll see...
andrethegiant View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote andrethegiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 3:56am
yeah i think it would get incredibly boring if you were on the east coast, but if you live out west you would be all set and could advance to backcountry instead of kickers
jcmolitoris View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jcmolitoris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 3:54pm
i recently went boarding with someone in their 70s and he beat me to the bottom of the hill each time. i hope i can still board when im his age
yc5405 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote yc5405 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 9:46pm
I first start with skiing, but now I think snowboarding has more fun and cooler!!

and comfortable in many ways. For example, sitting on the slope.
Jaques View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Jaques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by yc5405

I first start with skiing, but now I think snowboarding has more fun and cooler!!

and comfortable in many ways. For example, sitting on the slope.

Haha. I start with snowboard cause it is cooler too.

Welcome to the snowboard world! LOL
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 3:39pm
Go for it, you will love it and it is a great family activity!!
kymerj1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kymerj1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 3:55pm
I'm still going to shread hard when I'm forty.  Maybe less jumps and less other dumb stuff, but I'm going to continue boarding until I;m physically unable.
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2011 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by luhuanhuan

thank you !!! you did a great work on tha manga!!! >  I love to revive posts after over a year, and not make a lick of sense when posting about it!!!!!!
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2011 at 7:40pm
shtook Off. 

m00m
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2011 at 7:52pm
Hmm, it suddenly occurs to me that just maybe you were hit with some ninja modding and thus im blaming you for the bump when a dude who posted before you but got deleted was responsible for it. In which case id like to direct my fornicate elsewhere to them. Unless of course it was you being ironic, in which case its back to you :) 
In an act of contrition (that you dont want), ill spam my original reply :) 
m00m
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Quote barnyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2011 at 8:29pm
I'm 37 and have plans to board for YEARS!!!
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
STRICK-9 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote STRICK-9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2011 at 2:00am
I am 46 and have been boarding for two straight years....getting ready for year three and can't wait.  All I can say is start doing P90X and get your body in shape.  I am getting ready for my run up to the winter with this program, as well as lots of Yoga. 

Oh, and drink milk.....unless you get lactose intolerate at your age.
andyc5315 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote andyc5315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2011 at 3:38am
You only live once man, you dont want to try snowboarding because your 40 and your gonna bust your ass? Dont let that stand in your way. Your only as old as you feel. gotta live young wild and free
Worst I had was wonderful.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2011 at 4:13am
im 36 and knackered. Get me on a pair of skis thanks, im sick of being too old for thsi shit. I want a nice cup of cocoa, some slippers and maybe a pipe. Yes, thats what im going to do next season. Im going to sit in the canteen every day with a nice comfy pair of slippers and a pipe. Maybe ill have a dog resting at my feet while we gaze down the gun barrel of eternity together, quietly thinking it was a good run, but its time to go home.  Ah, home. Not long now lad... not long now. 
m00m
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2011 at 4:18am
something tells me this guys had enough time to figure out if he's going to try it.  
I will say this though- our group didn't start boarding until we were close to 30, now we're in our late 30's and I live for boarding.   Someone above said it- You only live once.

Skiing made me board.
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CoMtnRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2011 at 4:27am
Originally posted by snowj420

something tells me this guys had enough time to figure out if he's going to try it.  
I will say this though- our group didn't start boarding until we were close to 30, now we're in our late 30's and I live for boarding.   Someone above said it- You only live once.

Skiing made me board.

No doubt, my wife didn't start learning to ride until she was 32.  I'm 31 and still love boarding just as much as I did when I was 14.  I think in the future instead of old dudes shoooshing down the slopes slowly on skis, you will see a bunch of old dudes taking long wide turns on their boards Big smile
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
gamelessx25 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote gamelessx25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2011 at 8:02am
I started 2 seasons ago at 26-27. Skied once and hated it.. falling down and losing all my gear. Boarding all the way. I can't wait... even if it's crappy Blue Mountain here in Ontario!
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2011 at 12:26pm
i started off skiing when i was young and made the switch when i was in 8th grade. my dad has been skiing since he was little and like your interested now he was interested then, when i made my switch. he tried it and was decent by the end of the first day but had a hard time getting his mind around being a newbie at something when he was a very high level skiier already. he decided to stick with skiing and hasnt regretted it. i think snowboarding is the best feeling in life-far above surfing even (which i actually do more often due to my location in southern california). it's worth it if you're willing to be a beginner again.
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2011 at 4:19pm
try it at least once. rent the gear from the mtn. or your local shop. you'll never know till you try.
I rode with a few older guys once in a while, they are 40+ and rips through the whole mtn. no park though, just natural hits. O, wear a helmet.
NedHead2 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Grandpa Morstoel

Quote NedHead2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2011 at 4:24pm
Just give up and DIE! already!
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2011 at 4:34pm
Started in my 50's, met an instructor who was boarding at 75.
Amills646 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
steez for days!

Quote Amills646 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2011 at 5:18pm
props. i hope my body and knees arent f'ed up by the time im 40
FreeCarve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Maalaea Freight Trains

Quote FreeCarve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2011 at 10:30pm
Now 62, 90% retired, and boarded about 175 days this past season. Last day of boarding Tahoe was July 9th.
watching-sunset View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote watching-sunset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2011 at 11:10pm
I guess it's never late to learn something new. In example my BF's parents started skiing in the age of 50+ and noone yet got hurt.

I think moving from one riding to another shouldn't be very difficult, especially if you are a good skier!
Push hard and you'll reach the top
STRICK-9 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote STRICK-9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2011 at 1:49am
Originally posted by FreeCarve

Now 62, 90% retired, and boarded about 175 days this past season. Last day of boarding Tahoe was July 9th.
Impressive.....hope I am still boarding at that age....atleast i plan on it!
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2011 at 3:21am
Originally posted by FreeCarve

That's the life, living near major ski resorts and going their daily!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>