skull protection

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  12>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
misskiss787 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote misskiss787 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: skull protection
    Posted: Nov/03/2006 at 8:17am
I don't own a helmet yet, how many of you do?  how much do you recommend it?Dead
-Angie

setup;
Burton Stigma 144
Burton Stiletto
Burton Mint
dcboardman View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
East Coast Rider

Quote dcboardman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2006 at 8:48am
I've never ridden with a helmet but at the end of last season in western NY when it was icy out, i caught my heel edge and landed on the back of my head and was out cold for 30 seconds or so.  it wasn't like i was hittin a jump or rail or anything.  just goin down a hill kinda fast.  happened like that, no warning.  all i remember was i caught, thought i saved myself, and boom.  had a concussion and one hell of a headache for 2 days. 

who knows what would've happened if i had a helmet on.  probably would've hurt, but may have saved me the concussion.  from now on, i'm using a helmet.  i'd recommend being safe.
Crabcakes and Football. That's what Maryland does!!!
viktor View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2006 at 10:03am
wear a helmet when ur on rails and gridin stuff !!! i only wear them at contests (they make u wear them)!!!!
Freestyle/park/pipe
vik
zagfan5 View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
whatever

Quote zagfan5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2006 at 3:04pm
i wear mine some of the time

i dont really like mine because it looks like a bowlingball and it doesnt fit me real well

the lack of steeze and horrible fit keeps me from wearing it most of the time

if i had a giro encore i would wear it everytime i go up!!!

so if your do get a helmet, make sure you like how it looks and how it fits

i made the mistake of not trying on my helmet before i got it

i would definently reccomend wearing a helmet though

a steezy helmet can be way cooler looking than any beanie
and a whole hell of a lot safer

also, when you go to get a helmet, bring your goggles and make sure there is a pretty gapless fit

the gap that i'm talking about it the gap between the brim of the helmet and the top of your goggles

if theres a big gap there (like my helmet/goggles have) it looks like crap and the steeze and sweetness just doesnt flow

so goodfit, steezy look, gapless fit, and make sure you try it on before you buy it!
Camber Is The New Rocker.
gsrrr View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
shred ze gnar

Quote gsrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2006 at 3:08pm
ive heard of people getting hurt really badly because they started wearing helmets.  make you feel you are better than you are.  gives you bigger balls to try out crazier stuff which ends up hurting yourself.

i have one but havent really felt the need to use it yet.  if you are doing huge air and/or rails i would wear one.  and if the conditions are really bad and its icey.
esy.iam View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote esy.iam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2006 at 10:27pm
i don't wear one, but i should probably start rockin' one because i want to do some more rails and perfect my goofy/switch because i'm sure i'll be takin' some rough falls.

last season i had a pretty brutal fall, but not bad enough where i was concussed like dc. my rear binding toe strap got a little loose on the way down, and i was on my way down from the mountain and was hitting a flat part and had quite a bit of speed. i felt my boot kind of loose, looked down at my binding, felt the board start to drift a little, went to correct it, but i caught an edge at the same time, tumbled a couple times and smacked the back of my head. i was lucky though.
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2006 at 8:03am
stop worryin about looking cool and get a helmet.. it can save ur life... my one friend had a very minor fall on the ice and he got a brain contusion... the doctor said he can't ride for a bit because it could do permanent damage if he fell on it again... as for helmets, i rock the Giro G10 in white camo.
zagfan5 View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
whatever

Quote zagfan5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2006 at 8:43pm
wow nu nu

thats a really nice helmet!!!

i'd be pleased with an encore
Camber Is The New Rocker.
evernod View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
thank you, goodnight!

Quote evernod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2006 at 3:30am
it's extremely important that you get one that fits! one that is loose may not protect you at all.

and though it's not important how it looks, the better looking, the more likely people are to wear them.

not that it should be that way, but it is. though i never liked the way my RED HiFi looked on me, i wore it anyway. get one with headphones, it'll help motivate you.
anytime i thought about not wearing it, the promise of music sealed the deal.

this place is bleak.
cantbeyou View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote cantbeyou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2006 at 4:54am
I haven't worn one before, but i just picked up this red skycap for $35. It was a little snug fitting when i first got it, but i took out one of the pads on the inside and it fits nice now. It's just tight enough and comfy and seems like it will be pretty warm.

Now how much i wear it is a different story. I will have to see how it feels wearing it for a few hours and how it does with the cold. I do have the intentions to wear it pretty much everytime i go out (or atleast the times i go on the bigger slopes, as i will be going on the bunny slopes with my gf a good bit)

as for the steeze, you shouldn't really be too worried about what others think of you and your gear. all that should matter is that you are out there having fun and enjoying it while you can. If that means wearing a helmet, butt pad, elbow pads, wrist guards and a 10 year old ski bib, then go for it. you may be the best boarder on the slopes, but you still have to deal with that many other people that have no idea what they are doing and flying down the hill not knowing how to stop.I would say to get it to match your riding ability, but i have had more close calls on beginner slopes than any other part of the mountain
evernod View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
thank you, goodnight!

Quote evernod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2006 at 5:06am
my worst injuries have been from going slow, on a green. random things happen. i cracked my helmet last year after catching an edge and doing a headplant. and i really wasn't going that fast.
my HiFi kept my head warm, and the venting worked well so i wasn't dying.

this place is bleak.
shralp View Drop Down
Educator
Educator
airblaster

Quote shralp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2006 at 5:22am
I've worn a helmet for 7 years now and I really like it. I live/ride in the wet PNW so my head is always dry with a helmet. I ride a Protec B2 audio and really like it, thanks hoon!
evernod View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
thank you, goodnight!

Quote evernod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2006 at 5:26am
i got the Scotty Arnold b2 this year. a little less silly looking than my RED HiFi, plus the multiple impact thing on a $60 helmet can't be beat! i replaced my HiFi once last year and after being promised free replacement for a year, then wholesale cost, i ended up paying almost full price for a new one

(psssst, in case anyone wants to know my beef with Burton, that was the clincher).

this place is bleak.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2006 at 12:28pm
I bought a RED hifi a year and a half ago.  I  will never ride without a helmet, and once bought one at the resort when I got there and forgot mine at home. 

Its not the big crazy stuff where it catches you, its the stupid crap on icy days when you catch an edge and go down backwards or mis-time a turn in the tree's and go headfirst into one.

I feel naked without one these days.
davidmullane View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote davidmullane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2006 at 6:41pm
I've ridden with a helmet once and it was ok, couldn't put my hood on though so i just put it on underneath. I would like to get a helmet but i don't feel like forking out $200 for a skycap of $400 for an Audex. I would like to buy one from Sierra but then i don't get to try it on.
ID# 1062<br /><br />Board: Salamon Special 159!!<br />Boots: DC Judge<br />Bindings: Cartels - Kelly Green<br />Outwear: Section<br />Best Place Boarded: Japan<br /><br />Stance: +15/-6 <br /><br />
gsrrr View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
shred ze gnar

Quote gsrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2006 at 8:15pm
when you are attempting something like this.... please wear protective gear...

Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2006 at 4:08am
I hope that wasn't you gsrrr.. Shocked
evernod View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
thank you, goodnight!

Quote evernod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2006 at 5:56am
i'm sorry, but when there are rails in snow, i just don't see the appeal of falling on stairs. call me a sissy, but i love my bones and brain too much.

but, yes, HELMET! especially in a case like that. jesus... ouch.

this place is bleak.
K8sgotgame View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote K8sgotgame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2006 at 6:17am
hey guys I need a new helmet this year and can't decide what to get.  I have an old skycap and was thinking of either a hi-fi or a giro 9.  Is it worth it to kick out the extra dough or just go pick-up a Trace or another skycap?

Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2006 at 6:24am
You should wear a full face helmet to protect that pretty face.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote K8sgotgame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2006 at 6:26am
Yeah but the face mask on my football helmet gets caught in branches and stuff if I hit the glades Wink
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2006 at 6:59am
Put the plastic lining inside so nothing can catch onto it Sleepy
kthxbia View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote kthxbia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2006 at 7:16am
We should compose a list of helmets based on:
    -Helmets with good protection
    -Helmets with good looks
    -Helmets with both

I know it would help me.. You might even save someones life!

Edited by kthxbia - Nov/06/2006 at 7:17am
dcdomain View Drop Down
Local
Local
Citizen Chan

Quote dcdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2006 at 7:36am
The only good break down of some of the helmets out there I've seen is the following page from Transworld. I have a huge noggin so I'll probably go for one of the low profile ones. I really love the Giro Bad Lieutenant, but it comes in Large and I need an XL. Emailed them during the last two seasons, maybe next year...

http://www.transworldsnowboarding.com/snow/products/article/0,26719,1226652,00.html
gsrrr View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
shred ze gnar

Quote gsrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2006 at 7:53am
nunu thats not me. im not good enough to attempt that....

and i think helmets are like hats. some look good on some people and others dont.
evernod View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
thank you, goodnight!

Quote evernod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2006 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by K8sgotgame

hey guys I need a new helmet this year and can't decide what to get.  I have an old skycap and was thinking of either a hi-fi or a giro 9.  Is it worth it to kick out the extra dough or just go pick-up a Trace or another skycap?

the HiFi is really light, but looks funny on me at least. i only paid the extra $$ so i could get some headphones with it and because it looked better than the other model that were compatible. if i were to get another Burton, i would get one of the ones that look more like skate helmets.
Giros are supposed to be great, they make nice bike helmets i believe.

i went for a ProTec b2 this year cause it was affordable and have multi-impact protection, which no Burton helmet does.

Edited by evernod - Nov/06/2006 at 12:16pm
this place is bleak.
EDK007 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote EDK007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2006 at 7:11pm
Only started wearing one after a wipeout last year.  They are s light weight now, you won't even know it is on but then again it adds to your confidence.  Get one with headphones - everything is better with tunes.
LibTRS MTX - <a href=http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=16>Burton</a> P1's, Ride Timeless - <a href=http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=16>Burton</a> P1's.   She's like a cold alibi, she's the trick you'd never try, she's the drug you've always wanted, but the one you'd never buy...
misskiss787 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote misskiss787 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2006 at 5:56am
i know that the helmet could and would save my life but 200-400 good gracious i don't have it like that right now...
-Angie

setup;
Burton Stigma 144
Burton Stiletto
Burton Mint
evernod View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
thank you, goodnight!

Quote evernod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2006 at 6:49am
Originally posted by misskiss787

i know that the helmet could and would save my life but 200-400 good gracious i don't have it like that right now...

the HiFis were 130 last year w/ headphones, 90ish without. which ones are you looking at?

you can get a helmet for less than 50 bucks. your noggin is worth at least that.

Edited by evernod - Nov/07/2006 at 6:50am
this place is bleak.
nefarious View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote nefarious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2006 at 7:27am
i've got a huge melon of a head (XL), but does anybody else have this problem with helmets? 

where the padding of the strap that locks underneath your chin is more towards one side than the other?  you would think they make a helmet where the chin padding can slide as one adjusts the the size of the chinstrap.  but most helmets i have come across has the padding permanently stitched on one side.  so when i fully connect it, the padding is on one side of my face and then the strap is on the other side and it feels totally awkward!  not so sure it would be wise to always be rolling w/o connecting the strap, although it would be hell of a lot more comfortable...

maybe i'm the only person in the world with a big head and a strong jawline...Cry
evernod View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
thank you, goodnight!

Quote evernod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2006 at 7:34am
Originally posted by nefarious

i've got a huge melon of a head (XL), but does anybody else have this problem with helmets? 

where the padding of the strap that locks underneath your chin is more towards one side than the other?  you would think they make a helmet where the chin padding can slide as one adjusts the the size of the chinstrap.  but most helmets i have come across has the padding permanently stitched on one side.  so when i fully connect it, the padding is on one side of my face and then the strap is on the other side and it feels totally awkward!  not so sure it would be wise to always be rolling w/o connecting the strap, although it would be hell of a lot more comfortable...

maybe i'm the only person in the world with a big head and a strong jawline...Cry

i actually wear a small in helmets, which was a surprise to me, but have had the same stupid problem. BAD DESIGN, bad.

this place is bleak.
HuKiT View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote HuKiT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2006 at 8:22am
I've actually found that I fall less now that I don't wear a helmet, probably mostly because I have better perifrial vision, and can hear what's going on around me for the most part.  But when I fall it also hurts a lot more.  I should probably wear one, but I just don't see myself buying one in the near future.
evernod View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
thank you, goodnight!

Quote evernod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2006 at 8:36am
Originally posted by HuKiT

I've actually found that I fall less now that I don't wear a helmet, probably mostly because I have better perifrial vision, and can hear what's going on around me for the most part.  But when I fall it also hurts a lot more.  I should probably wear one, but I just don't see myself buying one in the near future.

i started hitting my head all the time once i got a helmet. it was odd. i attribute it to being more brave, but who knows. some helmets allow for great peripheral vision.  and i would say for the most part, unless a helmet sticks out past your goggles, it won't interfere at all.

this place is bleak.
esy.iam View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote esy.iam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2006 at 10:57pm
i'm almost certain that i'm going to be getting the Giro Bad Lieutenant Audio. It's probably the best priced audio helmet, unless i can find a good deal on a Red Trace Audio. 
evernod View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
thank you, goodnight!

Quote evernod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2006 at 5:44am
Originally posted by esy.iam

i'm almost certain that i'm going to be getting the Giro Bad Lieutenant Audio. It's probably the best priced audio helmet, unless i can find a good deal on a Red Trace Audio. 

Scotty Arnold b2 is only 60 bucks w/ headphones, and it's probably more functional. plus it takes multiple impacts. (they have it here, too)

this place is bleak.
cantbeyou View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote cantbeyou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2006 at 6:25am
i just saw this in popular science magazine, pretty nifty stuff . its a slightly thicker than normal beany that has "intelligent molecules" that make it soft enough to put in your back pocket, but these molecules lock together when you fall and absorb some of the impact. its not as much protection as a helmet (of course), but is a way to have some protection if you dont want to wear a big helmet all them time. They are kinda expensive though...(the mag said ~$90)
ripcap
last years beanies
other products
more details
evernod View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
thank you, goodnight!

Quote evernod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2006 at 6:56am
those look like the RED padded beanies. the RED's say they don't really protect you, they just might help. i don't find that terribly comforting. i'd rather wear a beanie if that's the case.

those may have more potential...?

Edited by evernod - Nov/08/2006 at 6:59am
this place is bleak.
smalapas View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote smalapas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2006 at 8:45am

RED trace is less than 100 dollars. Don't wait till you get broken off before you get a helmet. Be smart and get a helmet before you get into a situation that makes you wish you had one.

Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2006 at 7:03pm
How does the cap know when u're falling or jumping?
cantbeyou View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote cantbeyou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2006 at 6:07am
on impact, the cells tighten together and make it kinda stiff. I have no idea how they do it, but seems kinda cool if it actually works.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote K8sgotgame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2006 at 7:30am
Hey guys, anybody ride in a pro-tech ace freecarve?  I was thinking about picking one up.  And if anyone has one.. how do they fit with your goggles? 
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2006 at 7:23am
I wouldn't wanna chance injuring my head relying on the intelligence of a hat.
cantbeyou View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote cantbeyou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2006 at 7:52am
yea, well its not supposed to provide the same protection of a helmet, but its more than a beanie. I would still rather pay 1/3 less and get something i know will be helpful. its still a cool idea
south_side_pow View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote south_side_pow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2006 at 9:34pm
Giro Bad Lieutenant, first Audio model. When I first hit the mountain, peeps talk to me on the lift, and I'm all "WAAT? Wait a second!" to hit the Mute button. The Giro is solid. If they could make a Bluetooth wireless setup, hot damn. They figured it out for that Samsung video lens, why not? The music helps to drown-out the wind noise flying down the hill.

Will prolly get a new brain bucket this season. Giro or RED?
sarpedonice View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Billions of bilious blue blistering barnacles!

Quote sarpedonice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2006 at 1:05am
Good ventilation is important as protection and looks.

When I got my new helmet I got a bad headache after a couple of runs.Then I discovered its vents got sliding covers which I should open. It's better since then but I'd like to have more vents than 2.

It looks funny when you wander in the lodge with vapor raising from your hair. Smile

What about Bad Lieutenant? No vents as I know.
Andrew View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2006 at 7:06am

You are saying that a lack of ventilation causes headaches and discomfort?  Could you elaborate on that, I don't quite follow.

sarpedonice View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Billions of bilious blue blistering barnacles!

Quote sarpedonice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2006 at 9:30am

Originally posted by Andrew

You are saying that a lack of ventilation causes headaches and discomfort?  Could you elaborate on that, I don't quite follow.

Oh sorry! I had to be more descriptive. Since most of your blood circulation goes to your head it acts like a car radiator, you need to keep it cool to release excess heat (here the heat from physical activity.) Otherwise your brain overheats. Here's a quote which explains symptoms:

The human brain is an exquisitely heat-sensitive organ. According to noted vascular physiologist, Mary Ann Baker:

A rise of only four or five degrees C above normal begins to disturb brain functions. For example, high fevers in children are sometimes accompanied by convulsions; these are manifestations of the abnormal functioning of the nerve cells of the overheated brain. Indeed, it may be that the temperature of the brain is the single most important factor limiting the survival of man and other animals in hot environments.

So it's a good idea to have some vents on your helmet.

Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2006 at 5:11pm
The Giro Gad Lieutenant doesn't look like it gives you that much protection on the head since it's so small and doesn't have as much cushion... it's like the bikers that think those beanie-type style helmet will protect them as much as a full-face helmet.
Token Blk Guy View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Token Blk Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2006 at 4:27am
Originally posted by Nu-Nu

The Giro Gad Lieutenant doesn't look like it gives you that much protection on the head since it's so small and doesn't have as much cushion... it's like the bikers that think those beanie-type style helmet will protect them as much as a full-face helmet.

well i dont know ho much more of a helmet you need. Here is my Lietenant and it has provided me perfect cushioning for the last season. I couldnt have asked for a better helmet. It fit's my head very snug and looks pretty damn good. I do alot of back country and i dont go anywhere without this helmet. but If i am rolling on the slopes just to get a fresh ride in i dont rock it.
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2006 at 4:46pm
i stand corrected then..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>