Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
snowball4 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: HP laptop motherboard failure
    Posted: May/22/2009 at 8:06am
So.... the motherboard on my HP laptop just fried and, within about 10 minutes of google searching it was apparent that this is a serious problem with HP laptops and they have issued a recall on some models.  http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=uk&docname=c01087194  I'm not super knowledgeable about computers, but from some reading it looks like there's an nvdia chip that overheats and causes the motherboard to fry. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13554_3-10020782-33.html 

I have the Pavilion tx1000, which is not covered by the recall but has the same parts and the same motherboard problem.  http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1243011411322+28353475&threadId=1245319 I have not called HP yet but will do so soon.  I'm wondering if anyone out there has had this problem yet and has any advice for me calling in to customer service or any other tips or insight that might help me?
mattaleao View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary... come again?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 8:37am
HP = win for servers
HP = fail for desktops
HP = epic fail for laptops

In my experience, anyways.
I'm just here for the titties
giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 8:50am
be nice to em.. i had a hard time with an hp a while back.. but being patient and nice never hurts. i assume your laptop isnt under warranty anymore?
(K) View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 9:05am
Yea, HP laptops are very...frail to say the least. I've had mine (dv1000) serviced over 6 times in the past year. LCD, backlight, inverter, motherboard, touchpad, screen...after a while the warranty pays for itself. If you're out of warranty though...might as well go buy a new laptop for $400-$500.

I see laptops as expendable items when it comes to computers, that's why I like to buy them cheap. Desktops are where it's at, I wouldn't mind spending close to a grand on a desktop with accessories, but a laptop...no thank you. I don't even like the idea of spending 4-5 hundred on a laptop. Laptops get moved around, dropped, abused like nothing. Even the best ones break down after abuse. That's why you just buy an acceptable laptop and use it to work while you're away, not as a dedicated computer like a desktop.
anigel21 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 10:03am
My HP laptop also died because the motherboard failed.  I just tossed it and bought a Dell, which also died because of hard disk failure.  Dell was nice enough to send me a replacement, but I got a MacBook anyway. 

Me <--  Epic fail when it comes to laptops?  Ouch

PS.  Anyone know of a good data recovery service for dead hard drives (that they'd recommend or have used)?
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 10:04am
when it comes to customer care.. there has been no comparison for me and my family.. we all own apple computers now bc of it. Ive cracked keyboards.. had cd drives fail.. pixellated monitors..and got them all replaced for free, within 48 hours, no problemo. you dont realize how awesome it is to have a repair shop where an apple store is located. one of my friends had one of those old flavored imacs under warranty for a looong time.. when it died, he took it in and they gave him the current model, brand new and free. should HP not replace your baby for ya.. strongly consider apple. i can't recommend em enough.
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 10:15am
Originally posted by (K)

Yea, HP laptops are very...frail to say the least. I've had mine (dv1000) serviced over 6 times in the past year. LCD, backlight, inverter, motherboard, touchpad, screen...after a while the warranty pays for itself. If you're out of warranty though...might as well go buy a new laptop for $400-$500.

Yea I have had problems with my DV1000 too but when i sent it in to be fixed they didn't do anything which sucked.
Yea be great to wait a long time to talk to someone in India. If you use your cell phone call when you have free min like sat or whenever.
denver303 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 10:25am
Originally posted by anigel21

My HP laptop also died because the motherboard failed.  I just tossed it and bought a Dell, which also died because of hard disk failure.  Dell was nice enough to send me a replacement, but I got a MacBook anyway. 

Me <--  Epic fail when it comes to laptops?  Ouch

PS.  Anyone know of a good data recovery service for dead hard drives (that they'd recommend or have used)?

pm sent
anigel21 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 10:32am
Originally posted by denver303

pm sent
Strange... was that sent to me?  I don't think I got it.  Yet....

Edit:  Never mind.  The system was just slow.  Thanks!
ridegnudude View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 10:35am
hp laptops are ok, my sister hasn't had any problems yet
denver303 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 10:59am
Originally posted by ridegnudude

hp laptops are ok, my sister hasn't had any problems yet

keyword = yet

hp blows, dell is okay, lenovo is the best value for the money, imo.
snowball4 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 11:04am
If I have to get a new one, which I suppose I will eventually because even if they replace the motherboard for me free the chip that runs hot is still in there so the new motherboard will eventually fry too, I would really really like to go with a mac.  It's been years since I've used one because I work in an office, in a microsoft world, and there used to be problems with converting.  How is it now?  I need to be able to easily and dependably bring word and excel docs back and forth between work and my laptop, is that possible now?
snowball4 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 12:33pm
Well, they very happily and politely told me that I could send it in for repair for $350.  Somehow by the end of the conversation that price jumped to $398.  Needless to say there's no way I'm paying a cent for a new motherboard that will fry also.  Geez.  What crappy deal.
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 12:53pm
ugh.. im really sorry to hear that man. Hell.. for 400 bucks you could damn near buy another laptop.

as for pc <--> mac compatability, its at the highest its ever been. I have MS office, Outlook, on my mac running just fine. I often share files between my home mac and my work PC, with no problemo. Even when im working at home on my mac.. i can VPN into my work computer easily. Ive never ran into a problem with compatability, but if i needed to, i could just install Parallels, and run windows and OSX at the same time on the same screen. I used to be an avid windows user myself, until i ran into a similar problem like you did.. but with about 4 different PC makers lol. I ended up trying mac as a last resort.. and havent looked back since. the apple care is otherworldly when it comes to their products, the only thing ive seen them turn a customer away for is a shattered screen.. i actually saw them replace a customers laptop, that he spilled soda on!!
snowball4 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 1:29pm
Yeah, it's a bummer.  I didn't have to wait long and wasn't on the phone for more than 15 minutes total.  I was nice and polite and just explained the problem, and you can tell from their responses that they know it's a problem, but you can also tell they have a script to read from, "you are out of warranty and your model is not included in the recall, we can replace it for $398."  Although it was pretty shady how he switched from $350 to $398 and then acted like he had no idea what I was talking about.  I talked to the supervisor, same script.  It's clear that unless HP decides to publicly acknowledge the problem there's nothing I can do.  Not even two years old!!!!  Thanks for the info on the mac, I've heard so much good about them that it seems like it's probably worth whatever small inconvenience (if any!) there might be with using microsoft on it.
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 1:38pm
I used to work on the financial audit for HP and they had warranty reserves for laptops that exceeded the total revenue on them.  They were a disaster.  When I asked why they even made them, they said it was to help sell printer cartridges (which make tons of profits)!

While on their audit, they gave me a free one, and it died 6 months later.  Piece of shite.

denver303 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by barnyard

I used to work on the financial audit for HP and they had warranty reserves for laptops that exceeded the total revenue on them.  They were a disaster.  When I asked why they even made them, they said it was to help sell printer cartridges (which make tons of profits)!

While on their audit, they gave me a free one, and it died 6 months later.  Piece of shite.

Hah!   you didn't even buy it and it still took a dump on ya?! I guess you got what you paid for Wink
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by mattaleao

HP = win for servers
HP = fail for desktops
HP = epic fail for laptops

In my experience, anyways.

+100

The desktops have gotten better, but they're still not great. Wouldn't get one of the laptops though. Every one i've seen/worked with has eventually had major problems.
Their servers are pretty sweet though.

I'm here for the gangbang....
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 2:51pm
I never buy HP anything!
anigel21 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 9:22pm
Mac convert here!  I love my new Macbook....  Thumbs Up
jonl89 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 3:19pm
sucks
I wish i would have went with Apple for my laptop
herbbread View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2009 at 7:44am
Yeah, I know quite a few people with HP laptops that have all died one way or another.  Whether it was the keyboard or screen, they all died within about 1.5 years after purchase.

But I agree with mattaleao and sin, HP servers and clusters are great.  Our lab recently got an HP RAID server and an HP cluster and they're amazing.  Makes my work so much more efficient.
esy.iam View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2009 at 8:07am
hmmmm, i should see if Costco will give me a return on mine. it doesn't list my exact model, but it says dv6000 series, and normally, HP just makes a particular model for Costco, but with similar parts. 
peace.
MJSBullitt View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2009 at 3:46pm
my motherboard fried on my Vaio SZ once, thank god it was under warranty, cuz it was $700 for the fix. i really never trusted HP anything, tho
The pessimist says the glass is half empty. The optimist says the glass is half full. The engineer says its really a problem of optimization and the glass is twice the size it should be.
snakehockey2 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2009 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by anigel21

Mac convert here!  I love my new Macbook....  Thumbs Up

Me too! I love mine! Also as someone else said, mac-windows compatibility is great. The only possible problems I can think of is maybe buying VM Ware Fusion. Its $80, kind of expensive. But then your mac can do everything.
2009 Burton Supermodel, 2009 Burton Cartels, 2007 Burton Motos
snowball4 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 9:56am
Yep, I'm pretty much sold on a Macbook!  I wrote to Oprah about HP.
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 10:16am
macs are where it's at.  runs mac os and windows if you use vmware fusion.  amazing!
djinhwan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 11:05am
im using an HP right now! oh its golden
my mom says im hardcore
pconway@prodigy.net View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2009 at 9:09am
My HP DV6100 died after 2 years 4 months.  Took it to Staples & they said it's probably the motherboard.  See the recall on the HP website & my computer's on it.  Called HP tech support & they say the extended warranty was only for an additional year - so even though they know it's a defect - they will not replace it.....Unbelievable!  I will never buy another HP or Compaq!
mixmasterjgt View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2009 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by djinhwan

im using an HP right now! oh its golden

me 2
chentwinks View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2009 at 5:52am
HP Pavilion | Windows Vista Home Premium
Model: dv9715nr
CPU: NVIDIA GeForce 7150M/n Force 630M (BIOS vF.27, 20080111)

Purchased: May 5, 2008

First failure: September 2008 - Phone support gave me a band-aid fix (power drain).

Second failure: December 2008 - I didn’t call phone support because previous band-aid fix (power drain) worked.

Third failure: May 2009 - I tried the previous band-aid fix (power drain) but it didn’t work. I called phone support but was told I’d have to pay $49.99 since I was out of warranty. Instead I used their free on-line chat. I was given the same band-aid fix (power drain) which didn’t work, and then another fix (reseat memory module) which did work, but only for one day.

Fourth failure: May 2009 - I tried both band-aid fixes (power drain and reseating of memory module), but neither worked.

I have spoken to several people at different levels at HP over a dozen times in the past months. The most they will offer me is $100 off of a repair cost of $421.88. I do not wish to pay for the repair of an inherently defective computer. I ended up using my CC company's extended warranty protection benefit and was able to get back $321. Now I'm looking into my options for getting this HPos working again, but NOT by HP. They stole enough of my money. I don't WANT this computer anymore, but can't afford a new one. I'm stuck with it so I may as well get a few more years out of it. I will never buy another HP product again, and I will be filing complaints everywhere I possibly can.

HP KNOWS of the Nvidia defect and has been providing bios updates and bandaid fixes that will make the computers last just until they are out of warranty and then we are screwed! The number of affected laptops is larger than people realize--but HP knows this! They are counting on people NOT being informed of the inherent defect, and they are charging people an average of $400 to fix someting that HP should be footing the bill for! HP has been censoring their own support boards. Go to hplies.com or nvidiadefect.com for the truth.

HP sucks!
Shock View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2009 at 5:40pm
yeah sorry... my dad works for HP.
Burton Custom ICS 167w - Triad EST (WHT) 09 Burton Canyon w/ Custom bindings. 2010 Lib Tech Skate Banana w/ no binders
pconway@prodigy.net View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2009 at 5:48pm
Same problem with my HP laptop - motherboard fried.  My warranty had expired also - two months ago.  I actually emailed the HP CEO (do a google search for email) and he sent it to his repair department and they actually fixed my laptop for $116.00 - which is better than having to buy a new computer.  However it's only guaranteed for 90 days and I don't have a good feeling about it.  They replaced the motherboard and hard drive.  If you complain enough- they'll fix it for you - not free - but at a discount.  They know it's a defective chip.
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2009 at 3:55am
That's great that you got such a cheap repair, but that 90-day warranty means sh*t! Those defective parts typically fail at an average of 12-18 months, so you may very well be going through this again. Your only hope it that symptoms appear before the warranty is up. {{Hint: stress your CPU like crazy!}} Info on hplies.com
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2009 at 3:59am
Shock, are you saying that it's true that HP knows how widespread this issue is? I suppose you can't share much info... but heck, I'm gonna ask anyway. Is there anything you can tell us? Any advice?
Borsa View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2009 at 5:41am
I'd drive to the HP headquarters and demand for another laptop.  They can afford it for sure.
jodds68 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2009 at 5:56am
get an apple there so much better, i love mine
snowboarding mastermind
Guests View Drop Down
Burton Stash - Remarkables, New Zealand
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2010 at 10:47pm

Oh my friend bought a HP laptop . and it were a problem as this topic , he called Hhttp://www.sierrasnowboard.com/forum/forum_images/post_button_hyperlink.gifP techinical support and they are asking if he want to pick up an extended warranty for $150, verses the cost to repair the motherboard @ $400. Wow what a deal but he too am asking, why is it failing after 1 1/2 years.

laptop gia re
Guests View Drop Down

Oh my friend bought a HP laptop . and it were a problem as this topic , he called Hhttp://www.sierrasnowboard.com/forum/forum_images/post_button_hyperlink.gifP techinical support and they are asking if he want to pick up an extended warranty for $150, verses the cost to repair the motherboard @ $400. Wow what a deal but he too am asking, why is it failing after 1 1/2 years.

laptop gia re
Guests View Drop Down

laptop gia re
Guests View Drop Down

laptop gia re
Guests View Drop Down

laptop gia re
Guests View Drop Down

laptop gia re
Guests View Drop Down

laptop gia re
Guests View Drop Down

laptop gia re
Guests View Drop Down

laptop gia re
Guests View Drop Down

laptop gia re
Guests View Drop Down

laptop gia re
Guests View Drop Down

laptop gia re
Guests View Drop Down

laptop gia re
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>