Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dylanpipe View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: best/most powder-
    Posted: May/22/2009 at 4:17pm
where have you been that you rode in the most and best powder? Because in the east we dont get much and I want to see how much others get in one day...
days:60
riding on ice, filming on ice
anigel21 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 4:20pm
Consider yourself lucky.  It snowed only three times the entire winter where I live.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 4:25pm
utah, washington, alaska.  maybe tahoe too.

if you want true deep pow and sick terrain (anything you could want), come heli in alaska.  if youre looking to get sick pow from a resort, i would recommend baker or stevens pass in washington, or somewhere in utah.  or here in juneau at eaglecrest, if you want to skip all the bull (lift lines, high prices, crowds, etc), but that can kinda be said for a lot of places in washington too.

we still have over 100 inches at eaglecrest at about 2600 feet.  one season we were #1 for resort snowpack in the entire world, but then baker beat us out at the end.
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 4:52pm
The only place i would add to spencer list is Jackson Wy. (in US) With powder you want to find a place that isn't crowded because the once it starts getting track out not as good.

In one day the mt i ride in Jackson gets about 12-16 inches at most (what the record but sometimes it feels a lot deeper, I have seen more but that is pretty rare. But you can easily ride 2-3 feet b/c the roads or lifts are closed and the mt doesn't get touched.
For me once you get about 12 inches it get hard to tell how deep it is and i can't tell the difference between 2 or 3 feet most of the time expect when jumping and cliffs. When you can tell you don't want too b/c you are hiking in it. That is really annoying hiking in waist deep powder.  
dylanpipe View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 5:50pm
yeah,when we get powder its usually around 12in but only like twice a month which isnt bad, but i would like it more if it happened more frequently, and hiking in waist high powder Sucksss
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 7:23pm
Mammoth in california can get some good powder days.  I had one epic day where it dumped 3 to 4 feet I believe in about a 24 hour period.  Problem with California is the storms do not come often enough but Mammoth can get hit harder than Tahoe and usually does.
scottlui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2009 at 11:32pm
I've never been to Jackson Hole, but I hear it's legendary. Our POW in Washington is kind of wet and heavy, very similar to Tahoe. Utah has the fluffy stuff. 
Wizard1990 View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 12:40am
Niseko in Japan is up there with the best. Average annual snowfall is 595 inches (15.11 m).
I only snowboard because its cool.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 1:31am
oh yeah, japan!
higiff View Drop Down
Local
Local
cab 3

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 2:11am
yeh japan is wicked,
rode there for 2 weeks last season.
day before we got there 1 meter over night and it snowed at least 10cm every day.
our biggest dump when we were there was prob about 1.5 foot
09 Signal Park rocker 152 (snapped + customer servcice = MCSHIT) 08 / 09 lib tech skate banana 52, rotten banana 56 08/09 cartels, sabboths..
dylanpipe View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 10:38am
yeah i thought that japan got good/a lot of powder, i wish i could go there sometime, hopefully me and my bros will go sometime
scottlui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 12:15pm
Man, Japan sounds awesome. One day...... Hopefully.
mattaleao View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary... come again?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 12:19pm
Utah & Tahoe are pretty sick.  Utah got 6 inches on May 2nd. 
I'm just here for the titties
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 1:04pm
right here in central California (2 hours from my house) we get epic dumps of 2 to 4 feet about every 3 weeks in the peak of winter.  This year we had a 7 foot dump over the course of a few days that I didn't even known what to do with...but I tried all day.  Here's some pics I took:

however, between dumps, we get nothing but sunny blue skies which can lead to ice. 

I love snowboarding in about a foot or two of pow over a good base more than anything...but sometimes I think low, but constant/steady snowfall, like in colorado, is ideal 

mattaleao View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary... come again?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 1:15pm
This is Utah on May 2nd:

They had over 600 inches this season.
I'm just here for the titties
snakehockey2 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 1:54pm
Colorado and Tahoe and some parts of Utah, probably have the best and most steady snowfall in the continental US.
2009 Burton Supermodel, 2009 Burton Cartels, 2007 Burton Motos
dylanpipe View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 3:05pm
i wish i lived in the Rockies, or Utah Lucky, ha ha
smay139 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 4:32pm
I haven't been there, but Mt. Baker gets like 650 inches of snow each year. Most resorts get like 300-400 inches.
Sam
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by scottlui

I've never been to Jackson Hole, but I hear it's legendary. Our POW in Washington is kind of wet and heavy, very similar to Tahoe. Utah has the fluffy stuff. 

Yea it is just like Utah snow but a little better but the problem is it is a lot colder a lot of the time but they are very comparable snow. Every once in a while we will get that wet heavy stuff and it throws my riding off so bad or a few runs. Some moved are really fun when light and fluffy but when wet nose sticks and you go feet over head but it is soft so you just laugh about it.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2009 at 8:34am
guess I should have said the west coast gets the deepest powder...which doesn't always equate to the "best". 

Colorado is extremely consistent, but, by most accounts, the west coast gets far deeper and our snow ("sierra cement", "cascade concrete", etc) is said to be superior because it sticks better and opens up more terrain 
MiguelMas View Drop Down
Local
Local
Old man Migs

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2009 at 10:53am
Them pics of Sierra Summit bring back memories.
Learned how to ride there when me and my
3 or 4 other buddies were the only people snowboarding
on the mountain.......Skied there when it was China Peak too.

That place can have pow a week after storm if you know where
to go....
BFBF View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2009 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by shop_39014

right here in central California (2 hours from my house) we get epic dumps of 2 to 4 feet about every 3 weeks in the peak of winter.  This year we had a 7 foot dump over the course of a few days that I didn't even known what to do with...but I tried all day.  Here's some pics I took:

however, between dumps, we get nothing but sunny blue skies which can lead to ice. 

I love snowboarding in about a foot or two of pow over a good base more than anything...but sometimes I think low, but constant/steady snowfall, like in colorado, is ideal 

Sweet pix
If it bleeds, we can kill it
Wizard1990 View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2009 at 2:20pm
There's also Gulmarg, in India. But I have NFI how much snow they get each year.
I only snowboard because its cool.
Jdsimmons2 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2009 at 2:43pm
Man guys, Snow Creek in Northwest Missouri gets the best man made pow.  HA!!  Don't count those on my pow days those.  those are out west.

We get MAYBE 50+ inches of natural snow per season.  some more, some less.   and prolly 100-200 of that man made stuff that gets packed pretty quickly by Cats.

the best pow I've ridden was at the Creek.  It was about 2 feet deep of concrete.  so wet that i got my edge down into it too far and tried to get out of the turn and ate shit.  JK.  the Creek sucks except for the scion open and the few decent pow days cuz the tree jibs and bonks are great and forgiving
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2009 at 2:56pm
Utah gets some good dumps.  Best snow I've ridden was a pow day in BC at Cypress.  
-zakk

)(nfinit)( View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2009 at 4:40pm
Utah and Colorado will get a several 2'+ dumps a year, Jackson pretty much beats everything else in my book.  5' of light and fluffy POW in 3 days.  Although it was on top of ice which caused some fun avalanches.  I think AK is sick, but the days are just too short.   I know little to nothing about the rest of the world, except I would like to try.
x_X
dylanpipe View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2009 at 5:20pm
i want to go to Alaska and ride some real back country, and a lot of powder
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by dylanpipe

going from Vermont to Alaska BC would be like surfing the east coast and immediately hopping over to the north shore of Hawaii...it's a bad idea. You should get acclimated to something in between first, like the Rockies or PNW
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 1:08pm
if you come to a resort (there only two real ones) in alaska, the PNW can be just the same or even better sometimes.  mark landvik is from junuea where i live, where eaglecrest is, and he said "baker is like eaglecrest on steroids."  so..... yeah.

but if youre talking about riding haines and all that big mountain stuff, then yeah.
dylanpipe View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by spenser

if you come to a resort (there only two real ones) in alaska, the PNW can be just the same or even better sometimes.  mark landvik is from junuea where i live, where eaglecrest is, and he said "baker is like eaglecrest on steroids."  so..... yeah.but if youre talking about riding haines and all that big mountain stuff, then yeah.

o..ok but in vt we get pow and have pretty hard areas, like backside of big mountains..but its nothing compared to ak.
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 9:59am

going from Vermont to Alaska BC would be like surfing the east coast and immediately hopping over to the north shore of Hawaii...it's a bad idea. You should get acclimated to something in between first, like the Rockies or PNW

That's a stupid analogy. Saying you can't ride something because you come from somewhere else is just wrong. It is all about your skill level.
Jeremy Jones, Big Mountain, is from Massachusetts. In that's it that's all he talks about starting out on golf courses. Danny Kass is from Jersey. Plenty of pros come from the East Coast. If you are talking surf, Kelly Slater is from Florida.
You have to be hardcore if you are really into boardsports on the East Coast. Surf in the snow, snowboard in the mud, you just do what you have to do. We're not spoiled at all, and what doesn't kills us makes us stronger.
That being said, I'd gladly skip over the Rockies for AK. I handled going from Jersey to Hawaii no problem.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 11:09am
if you come straight from one place and go to a place thats drastically different, thats when you could have problems.  all those people you listed spent YEARS learning to ride, so its not the same at all.

i think it was in lines where someone (maybe tom burt?) was talking about haines terrain, and how "youre not gonna take a bunch of freshly planted vermonters and expect them to perform" or something like that.
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 11:11am
So, people don't learn in Alaska?
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 11:14am
Originally posted by VermontRider

That's a stupid analogy. Saying you can't ride something because you come from somewhere else is just wrong. It is all about your skill level.
Jeremy Jones, Big Mountain, is from Massachusetts. In that's it that's all he talks about starting out on golf courses. Danny Kass is from Jersey. Plenty of pros come from the East Coast. If you are talking surf, Kelly Slater is from Florida.
You have to be hardcore if you are really into boardsports on the East Coast. Surf in the snow, snowboard in the mud, you just do what you have to do. We're not spoiled at all, and what doesn't kills us makes us stronger.
That being said, I'd gladly skip over the Rockies for AK. I handled going from Jersey to Hawaii no problem.

my point is "transitions" - pow in VT compared to real backcountry Alaska is going to be a huge step.  Jeremy Jones didn't just go straight from Mass to Haines, AK and Kelly Slater didn't go straight from Florida to Pipeline.  They rode contests and stuff in all parts of the country, then the world, then the proving grounds for the elite in their respective sports.

you say you "handled going from Jersey to Hawaii no problem", but Hawaii has a ton of surf spots and some of them don't even get very big (please, tell me you went straight to any of the islands north shores in winter and got barreled...that would be hilarious).  Either way, sounds like you're hyping yourself - I'll believe it when I see it.

I started surfing in the gulf of mexico, then moved to the east coast, now california.  After I moved here, I've surfed the north shores of both Oahu and Maui in winter...completely different world as far as size and power.  In a word: "scary". From the footage I've seen of both Vermont and Haines AK, I would bet they would compare equally.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 11:15am
isnt that what i just said those guys did do?  the difference, though, is that they spent years learning, and what the dylanpipe kid wants to do is come straight here and start riding.  he doesnt have years to do that.  so thats where you could run into issues.
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 11:18am
I don't see where he says that at all. He just asked where the best/most powder is. He said nothing of his skill level.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 11:24am

there

and im not saying that being a beginner is a bad thing, but i think we can assume hes roughly a beginner, going by the nature of his questions about what board to get and the things hes said there, and hes 13, etc etc etc.  correct me if im wrong, dylan, but isnt the nitro you have your first board, and you havent really even ridden it yet?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 11:30am
also, i hope no one has the idea that im saying alaska is better than vermont.  because im not.  im comparing what someone like dylan rides in vermont to what he would be riding in haines.  it doesnt matter which you like better, its very different.
l4294man View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 7:59pm
Yo dylanpipe im here in the east and we do get crap out here so i decided to go west. I went to vail colorado and damm there was so great powder areas. Though it took me two hours to get to the powder and through some pretty tough but fun trails it was amazing. Nobody around me just me and the powder. 
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 8:16pm

Having learned to ride in the north east (western ma and VT) and then coming to the West coast - I have to agree with him though. Even when you do get good pow days (they're not very common back east) it's just not quite the same as riding big pow days in the west. The elevation is different, the terrain is more rugged and steep, there's a lot more snow, the snow density and moisture content tends to be a lot different - it's just a lot different all around. First time I ever rode in 3ft of fresh in Tahoe - I was lost. Took me at least half a dozen runs to figure out wtf I was doing - and I had been riding for a good number of years at that point.

That's not saying someone who knows what they're doing would somehow not be able to get down just because they're on the west coast - but if you're going to take a big trip like that, you owe it to  yourself to do everything you can to prepare. I have to agree that part of those preperations should be getting off the east coast and riding bigger mtns a few times to get a feel for it.

Jeremy Jones may originally be from VT - but he lives in Truckee now. I seriously doubt he went from riding butternut basin  to AK Helis overnight. There's lots of inbetween there - and skipping that in-between puts you at a disadvantage. That's the whole point behind "progression".

I'm here for the gangbang....
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2009 at 8:20pm

my point is "transitions" - pow in VT compared to real backcountry Alaska is going to be a huge step.  Jeremy Jones didn't just go straight from Mass to Haines, AK and Kelly Slater didn't go straight from Florida to Pipeline.  They rode contests and stuff in all parts of the country, then the world, then the proving grounds for the elite in their respective sports.

you say you "handled going from Jersey to Hawaii no problem", but Hawaii has a ton of surf spots and some of them don't even get very big (please, tell me you went straight to any of the islands north shores in winter and got barreled...that would be hilarious).  Either way, sounds like you're hyping yourself - I'll believe it when I see it.

I started surfing in the gulf of mexico, then moved to the east coast, now california.  After I moved here, I've surfed the north shores of both Oahu and Maui in winter...completely different world as far as size and power.  In a word: "scary". From the footage I've seen of both Vermont and Haines AK, I would bet they would compare equally.

I don't know about AK - but I know going from the East Coast, riding places like Mt Snow, Hunter, etc - and taking my first trip to Tahoe - it was like I was doing a whole other sport. HUGE difference. Almost as much of a difference again when I went to Jackson, after getting used to Tahoe for awhile. 

I don't know much about Surfing - but from the sounds of it your analogy is pretty much spot on. 

xX Burton Rid3r Xx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 10:29am

I have to say west gets better powder than east, and even when you get pow in the east it sometimes is way to crowded and there are bumps everywhere and it just gets tiring

dylanpipe View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 11:44am
spenser..I have been riding for 2 years..and have picked it up very quickly..but yeah i want to ride real powder and etc and i dont mean im want to to go Alaska and heli board, I mean bigger mountains..and that stuff..and if I was a expert would that make anything diffrent..and im not a beginner..im intermediate to advanced
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 7:58pm

spenser..I have been riding for 2 years..and have picked it up very quickly..but yeah i want to ride real powder and etc and i dont mean im want to to go Alaska and heli board, I mean bigger mountains..and that stuff..and if I was a expert would that make anything diffrent..and im not a beginner..im intermediate to advanced

I think you'd probably like Cali quite a bit. Tahoe or Mammoth would probably be a great place for you to check out. There's enough variety that you can start out well within what you're already used to - but also easily push out and step up to bigger and better terrain. The snow here also tends to be heavier then in some of the places further north - which makes it a little more like east coast snow then some of the super light stuff in UT/WY/AK etc. 

I'd say get a little bit of money together and check out Tahoe. You can get package deals pretty damn cheap. I think you'll enjoy it quite a bit.

Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 10:22pm

guess I should have said the west coast gets the deepest powder...which doesn't always equate to the "best". 

Colorado is extremely consistent, but, by most accounts, the west coast gets far deeper and our snow ("sierra cement", "cascade concrete", etc) is said to be superior because it sticks better and opens up more terrain 

Are you saying the sierra cement is superior?(or am i reading you wrong) Have you boarded light stuff before?
dylanpipe View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 6:02am
yeah me and my group, want to save up some money and go to somewhere out west..maybe sometime sooon hopefully...and I love park so i heard sierra at tahoe has a great one
arsenic0 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
NS Whore

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 6:57am
Granted i havent been out of Oregon, but we had some pretty awesome 1 1/2 foot days or more here.  
dylanpipe View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 7:57am
that is pretty nice, but does it last long?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 8:57am
Originally posted by Sinixstar

I think you'd probably like Cali quite a bit. Tahoe or Mammoth would probably be a great place for you to check out. There's enough variety that you can start out well within what you're already used to - but also easily push out and step up to bigger and better terrain. The snow here also tends to be heavier then in some of the places further north - which makes it a little more like east coast snow then some of the super light stuff in UT/WY/AK etc. 

I'd say get a little bit of money together and check out Tahoe. You can get package deals pretty damn cheap. I think you'll enjoy it quite a bit.

ha!  where did you get the idea that alaska gets super light snow?  the whole reason theres so much gnar terrain is because its not dry, so it sticks at steeper angles.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Timmay_650

]

Are you saying the sierra cement is superior?(or am i reading you wrong) Have you boarded light stuff before?
those names are kinda deceiving because, although it's a fact west coast snow sticks better a than anywhere east (including CO), we also get so much per storm that the top layer is still light and deep enough to do anything you want...all things considered, it's superior
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>