Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
zagfan5 View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
whatever

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: best/most powder-
    Posted: May/30/2009 at 10:12am
this season i had 2 strait weeks of pow from a huge storm that hit us. it snowed every day and every night. the most it snowed in those two weeks in a night was around 2 feet or so. pretty crazy stuff
Camber Is The New Rocker.
giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 11:19am
i gotta make a trip up there sometime.. ive been itching to get some riding in.
dylanpipe View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 11:48am
Zagfan..what mountain u ride?
days:60
riding on ice, filming on ice
)(nfinit)( View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by shop_39014

Originally posted by Timmay_650

]

guess I should have said the west coast gets the deepest powder...which doesn't always equate to the "best". 

Colorado is extremely consistent, but, by most accounts, the west coast gets far deeper and our snow ("sierra cement", "cascade concrete", etc) is said to be superior because it sticks better and opens up more terrain 

Are you saying the sierra cement is superior?(or am i reading you wrong) Have you boarded light stuff before?
those names are kinda deceiving because, although it's a fact west coast snow sticks better a than anywhere east (including CO), we also get so much per storm that the top layer is still light and deep enough to do anything you want...all things considered, it's superior
  all things considered?  I am not sure you really can make that statement.  I like how everyone thinks CO doesn't get a lot of snow, or UT for that matter either.  They both get dumped on.   There is a reason they say it's the best snow....
x_X
dylanpipe View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 1:02pm
also co is usually open very late.. but i dont know bout utah
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 3:42pm
Yea Ut us Open late too.

How Much Snow people got this year (the short list, from there own websites)

Mt Baker: 547
Kirtwood: 362-458
Snowbird: 621 (closes June 14th)
Grand Targhee (Jackson hole area): 529
Vail: 437

There are a lot more places you can get it from too. There aren't completely fair either b/c of close dates. The places that closed stop recording snow fall and places that are or were open later recorded that. 
dylanpipe View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 3:52pm
I think smugglers notch(VT) got either 300+ or 400+ inches i cant rember
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 3:55pm
notch got 353
dylanpipe View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 3:59pm
ok, thats acutly not to badd for a vt area, and its acutly not that elevated
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 4:24pm
Nope that is still a bit of snow. And total inches doesn't mean a good days of boarding. Eaglecrest Ak gets 200-300 inches of snow. (i just know that name b/c Spencer has said it)
dylanpipe View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 4:37pm
we got it a decent amount every week
nothing HUGE, except 2 we got like a foot in 1 nite i think
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by )(nfinit)(

]

guess I should have said the west coast gets the deepest powder...which doesn't always equate to the "best". 

Colorado is extremely consistent, but, by most accounts, the west coast gets far deeper and our snow ("sierra cement", "cascade concrete", etc) is said to be superior because it sticks better and opens up more terrain 

Are you saying the sierra cement is superior?(or am i reading you wrong) Have you boarded light stuff before?
those names are kinda deceiving because, although it's a fact west coast snow sticks better a than anywhere east (including CO), we also get so much per storm that the top layer is still light and deep enough to do anything you want...all things considered, it's superior
  all things considered?  I am not sure you really can make that statement.  I like how everyone thinks CO doesn't get a lot of snow, or UT for that matter either.  They both get dumped on.   There is a reason they say it's the best snow....

that statement was made by Dave Hatchet (former pro snowboarder, AK pioneer and founder/cinematographer of Standard Films).  You may know more than he does about snow...but I doubt it

Mammoth (the next closest resort to mine) got 478 inches of snow this year, but it all came down during the only 8 storms we had this season...you do the math
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 7:22pm

] Nope that is still a bit of snow. And total inches doesn't mean a good days of boarding. Eaglecrest Ak gets 200-300 inches of snow. (i just know that name b/c Spencer has said it)

we get more than that.. at leeeeeast 300 easy.  that number has been on the site forever, and i dont know where it came from.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 9:34pm
I don't doubt that line "it sticks better and opens up more terrain" But after early season is over. The terrain is open, if you have good sticking snow or not.
I can pull quotes from a lot of people I should say pros about the best snow. If I want Jackson Hole I would go with Travis Rice. I can easily find a quote about Jackson is the best.
The best snow is a lot of personal preference. Same with any extreme sport, there is no best wave, no best snow, no best jump.

P.s Spencer I was shocked when I saw that number on the site, I double checked Google to make sure I had the right place. I guess they want to keep that place a secret for you. Most places tell you how great the snow it. There we got crap don't come here only 200-300 inches JK. Or it might be Ak and it doesn't count as snow if there is less than 3 inches fell.     
tekness View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
I like turtles

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 10:40pm
Bern switzerland. snowed for weeks, and even when it's not fresh there's so much mountain you can find good pow days after a good dump.
Rosignol Roc D Clicker board
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 11:17pm

]I don't doubt that line "it sticks better and opens up more terrain" But after early season is over.

not really.  certain slopes just wont hold snow period, unless its got enough moisture in it.  a lot of the terrain in haines wouldnt have snow on it if it werent for the amount of water in the snow.

look at colorado.  ive got a friend who lives there that posts even more pictures than i do from riding, and even on some of the not so steep slopes (theres really not much steep terrain where he is in colorado anyway) dont hold snow that well cause its so dry. theres no way that kind of snow would stick on a lot, or most of, the terrain here.  its not about the amount of snow, its the moisture content.

blahblahblshdjfhsjfdsf
dylanpipe View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 10:24am
yeah.. it depends on moisture, and humidity...
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 1:41pm
yeah
dylanpipe View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 1:44pm
I said something right Yay haha
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 2:00pm

that statement was made by Dave Hatchet (former pro snowboarder, AK pioneer and founder/cinematographer of Standard Films).  You may know more than he does about snow...but I doubt it

Mammoth (the next closest resort to mine) got 478 inches of snow this year, but it all came down during the only 8 storms we had this season...you do the math

yes and I have ridden wet pow and dry pow.  because one pro-boarder likes something doesn't mean the rest of the world does.  I would take 2 feet of dry pow over 2 feet of wet.  No question.  One nice thing about CO is we get both wet and dry.  Depending on the time of the season.   The only time I don't like dry snow is when there is ice/crust underneath. 

feel free to quote anyone else you want.  Steamboat springs has produced more Winter Olympians than any other town in North America.  There is a reason why people come here to ride. 
x_X
Shayboarder View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 2:29pm
Quality vs Quantity.

I grew up in the Northwest where there is more than plenty of snowfall including the awesome year that Baker had with 1,140 inches of snowfall and the average is 647.  The snowfall is great there, but it's heavy and wet snow.

I moved onto Steamboat Springs where the average is 334 inches and I have more powder days here than when I did in Washington.  The snow is lighter, dryer and damn it lasts days/weeks where you can find powder on the mountain.  

So yeah I take quality over quantity.  Just cause there's more doesn't make it better.  I can count over 10 days each year where there is more than 12 inches of light fluffy snow and days where there is 2 feet of light fluffy snow.  

The world of Snowboarding through fembot eyes
www.shayboarder.com
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 3:28pm

The only time I don't like dry snow is when there is ice/crust underneath. 

I hate that when there is dust on the ice. It makes everything so much more annoying.
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by spenser

Originally posted by Sinixstar

Originally posted by dylanpipe

spenser..I have been riding for 2 years..and have picked it up very quickly..but yeah i want to ride real powder and etc and i dont mean im want to to go Alaska and heli board, I mean bigger mountains..and that stuff..and if I was a expert would that make anything diffrent..and im not a beginner..im intermediate to advanced

I think you'd probably like Cali quite a bit. Tahoe or Mammoth would probably be a great place for you to check out. There's enough variety that you can start out well within what you're already used to - but also easily push out and step up to bigger and better terrain. The snow here also tends to be heavier then in some of the places further north - which makes it a little more like east coast snow then some of the super light stuff in UT/WY/AK etc. 

I'd say get a little bit of money together and check out Tahoe. You can get package deals pretty damn cheap. I think you'll enjoy it quite a bit.

ha!  where did you get the idea that alaska gets super light snow?  the whole reason theres so much gnar terrain is because its not dry, so it sticks at steeper angles.

Really? I was under the impression that AK's snow was nice and light because of the temps...
could easily be wrong - never been there.

I'm here for the gangbang....
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 8:07pm

]I don't doubt that line "it sticks better and opens up more terrain" But after early season is over.

not really.  certain slopes just wont hold snow period, unless its got enough moisture in it.  a lot of the terrain in haines wouldnt have snow on it if it werent for the amount of water in the snow.

look at colorado.  ive got a friend who lives there that posts even more pictures than i do from riding, and even on some of the not so steep slopes (theres really not much steep terrain where he is in colorado anyway) dont hold snow that well cause its so dry. theres no way that kind of snow would stick on a lot, or most of, the terrain here.  its not about the amount of snow, its the moisture content.

blahblahblshdjfhsjfdsf

That's one of the things that makes Cali snow pretty decent when we get a good storm.
Typically what happens is as the storm rolls in, early on it's a lot more wet and heavy ahead of the cold front, and as the storm progresses it gets colder and lighter. You get a layer of heavy snow that really bonds with the layers under it, and it gets progressively lighter towards the top. All your bare spots get covered, You get good cohesion between layers (generally) and yet the topmost that you ride on is still soft and light. 
Good stuff.

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2009 at 10:28pm
thats how it is here too.  theres always enough moisture in the snow to stick to steep stuff, even when it seems like champagne pow or whatever you call it.. but we definitely get big variances.  its annoying sometimes, but id rather have varied stuff that one thing all the time.  not only is it refreshing, but you learn how to ride every kind of snow a lot better.
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2009 at 4:07am

Jay Peak in Vermont averages 355.
JMSM512 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2009 at 4:40am
Originally posted by VermontRider

Jay Peak in Vermont averages 355.

And I think Stowe says they average 333
dylanpipe View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2009 at 4:26pm
yeah vermontt rules
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2009 at 8:44pm

yeah vermontt rules

It's not bad.
If you're on the east coast - it's kind of the Mecca of riding. 
Go a little ways west and VT seems like the bunny slopes though.

Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2009 at 10:26pm

thats id rather have varied stuff that one thing all the time.  not only is it refreshing, but you learn how to ride every kind of snow a lot better.

Yea I think riding them all is great fun. I love the heavy stuff for when i want to make a jump or something like that. You can make a small jump really fast. I hate when you are riding something different and you put you mind somewhere else and forget it is different and biff it but also really funny most of the time.
scottlui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2009 at 12:01am

yeah me and my group, want to save up some money and go to somewhere out west..maybe sometime sooon hopefully...and I love park so i heard sierra at tahoe has a great one

Sierra's park is decent but if you go to Tahoe you really should go to Northstar.. If you're on a budget, you might also check out Borreal cause it's pretty much ALL park and tickets are cheap. The great thing about Tahoe is there's soo many places to choose from. 

Mammoth / Bear might be an a good option for you too since you're into park. (not Tahoe)

Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2009 at 10:11am
traveling all the way across the country to go to bear = Dead

Skip bear and go straight to mammoth = Thumbs Up 
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2009 at 11:16am
Yea if I was going to fly to ride from east coast I would hit Utah or Tahoe. They are both great places to ride and you can find petty cheap flights to either and the mt are pretty close to the airport but Utah is a lot closer. They also have some good parks there.
BFBF View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2009 at 1:26pm
Utah is the easiest access in the country as it's 20 minutes from the airport.

Snowbird is one of the nastiest mountains you can possibly ride.Clap
If it bleeds, we can kill it
dylanpipe View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2009 at 3:26pm
ok ill consider themm..
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2009 at 6:48pm
Now all you have to do is convince your mommy. ha ha 
dylanpipe View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2009 at 3:03am
haha that will be the fun part haha.. not
higiff View Drop Down
Local
Local
cab 3

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2009 at 1:58am
day before we got to the resort it snowed 1.5 meters in 1 day... the snow the next couple days was epic as its really light and fluffy over there. the snow stays powdery for ages cause of the cold temps..
cant wait to go back. heading over for 6 weeks straight!
most days we were there is snowed at least 20cm.. Some days it was snowing so much that our tracks were covered after a lap of the gondola. and that happened about 3 days. out of the 12 days we rode only twice didnt it snow..
they average 16 meters a season or about 650 inches on average... also moisture content is normally below 10% average around 4-6% which is incredibly light

Opps forgot to write which resorts it was..
It was Niseko United and Rusutsu both lie in Hokkaido japan and niseko is about 2 hours drive from sapporo airport.
The reason they get such epic amounts and quality of snow is that there so close to the ocean. on a blue bird you can see the ocean and faintly the coast of russia from the peak. What happens is sibera which is freezing builds up storms which are incredibly cold, they drift across the sea of japan towards hokkaido where they pick up a lot of water.. that all gets dumped on japans north island which i hokkaido... right where niseko plus another hundred or so resorts are located. As i said before niseko averages around 16 meters ( 52 feet or 650 inches) per season
09 Signal Park rocker 152 (snapped + customer servcice = MCSHIT) 08 / 09 lib tech skate banana 52, rotten banana 56 08/09 cartels, sabboths..
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2009 at 3:31am
^^ and which resort would that be?
x_X
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2009 at 5:57am
they were talking about utah/snowbird...but, yeah, he could have mentioned where in his post
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2009 at 6:22am
snowbird doesn't average 650" a year and I don't remember any 5' dumps this year in 1 day. 
x_X
KidA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2009 at 6:43am
Lived in Utah for a year everywhere there averages somewhere around 500". The winter I was there was 07-08 winter and the resorts got 600" that year, which allowed snowbird to stay open until June. I rode the canyons every weekend and don't think there was a single day I couldn't find nice powder stashes in the woods. And yeah I dunno about 5 ft in a day but it snowed 12 feet in 12 days there this late march-early april. I rode snowbird, brighton, PC and solitude in mid april this year and they all got some really nice powder.
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2009 at 8:27am
yeah I knew they had a good year but not many places get 5ft in a day, although it does happen.  Maybe it was in certain parts of snowbird they had 5ft of fresh or something...sounds like a good time either way.
x_X
Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2009 at 8:31am

yeah I knew they had a good year but not many places get 5ft in a day, although it does happen.  Maybe it was in certain parts of snowbird they had 5ft of fresh or something...sounds like a good time either way.

That would be kind of dangerous for you wouldn't it?

I mean, there's NO WAY you'd ever be able to see where you were going in 5' of pow.
A thermos keeps hot stuff hot, and cold stuff cold.....BUT HOW DOES IT KNOW???
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2009 at 8:36am
not a problem until I stop.  Unlike you I can ride powder.  You just sink.

pss fx#K you. Big smile
x_X
svellanki1 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2009 at 8:45am
Someone mentioned The Utah resorts are really close to the airport.  Are there any other resorts out west that are also close to airports?

Also, which airports are usually the cheaper ones to fly into?
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2009 at 10:07am
your best bet is salt lake.  Everything else that I know of is much more expensive.  You can fly into Jackson Hole, Vail, Telluride, Durango, etc...but they are much more expensive.
x_X
KidA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2009 at 10:12am
I agree plus the resort selection is pretty good from salt lake. You've got solitude, snowbird and brighton ride there in cottonwood, plus alta if you ski, drive for an hour and you've got park city and the canyons plus deer valley if you ski, and then an hour and a half away is snowbasin and powder mountain up by ogden. Always fun exploring the terrain of different mountains
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2009 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by svellanki1

Someone mentioned The Utah resorts are really close to the airport.  Are there any other resorts out west that are also close to airports?

Also, which airports are usually the cheaper ones to fly into?

Depending on where you go in tahoe - you're within about an Hour from Reno airport (if you're going to the north side). If you're going to south lake it's closer to 2 hours. If that's the case you can fly into sac and be about the same distance if not closer.

dylanpipe View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2009 at 5:08pm
o, thats goodd you dont have to spend a lot of time in the car after a long plane ride
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>